Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

TotalLossBrain posted:

The outer crust is the only part worth eating :colbert:

Obviously, that's why it gets saved till last!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

In my experience, bad pastry is very common in commercially made pies/quiches - soggy or horribly underbaked bases are pretty much standard.

Which is a real pain in the rear end because a.) good pastry is amazing and b.) even a perfect filling can't make up for a lovely crust.

fake edit: I'm talking about ready-to-eat pies, if your bake at home pie has underbaked pastry that is 100% your own fault.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah the outer crust of most pies is a dense thing like a pop-tart and not something that I would call pastry

I'm not saying they "should" be like this, the platonic PIE is delicious, but most are bad because :effort:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pookah posted:

In my experience, bad pastry is very common in commercially made pies/quiches - soggy or horribly underbaked bases are pretty much standard.

Which is a real pain in the rear end because a.) good pastry is amazing and b.) even a perfect filling can't make up for a lovely crust.

fake edit: I'm talking about ready-to-eat pies, if your bake at home pie has underbaked pastry that is 100% your own fault.

I will say that the *best* pies I've had were home-made by myself or a friend of mine who is an incredible baker. Eating her pie was the closest I've come to enjoying the experience of pie-crust eating. I pulverized that pie and went back for more. {I am well aware of how this all sounds.} My own recipe was a homemade cherry pie which was just fantastic but I was still a little disappointed by the crust, and I used an all-butter recipe.

I'll keep trying, thread. I promise I'm not just throwing out fractious notions, I speak only from my own experience!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I even like bad pie crust.
Which is good since I can't have proper buttery crust anymore.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

just have cobbler, perhaps a crumble

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

snoo posted:

just have cobbler, perhaps a crumble

I love those!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I don't like cobbler :shrug:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

:frogout:

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

So you like old, worn-out shoes as opposed to well-maintained ones? I know what I'm buying you for Christmas.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

hosed up if true

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
how about the tried and true upside down cake? I have a friend who won't shut up about them.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

TotalLossBrain posted:

how about the tried and true upside down cake? I have a friend who won't shut up about them.

Pineapple upside-down cake is absolute mana. Bonus points for using lard and cooking it in a dutch oven on campfire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvj0HAFK0po

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Sekhmnet posted:

Pineapple upside-down cake is absolute mana. Bonus points for using lard and cooking it in a dutch oven on campfire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvj0HAFK0po

UH hi Jeremy I didn't know you posted here.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

I will say that the *best* pies I've had were home-made by myself or a friend of mine who is an incredible baker. Eating her pie was the closest I've come to enjoying the experience of pie-crust eating. I pulverized that pie and went back for more. {I am well aware of how this all sounds.} My own recipe was a homemade cherry pie which was just fantastic but I was still a little disappointed by the crust, and I used an all-butter recipe.

I'll keep trying, thread. I promise I'm not just throwing out fractious notions, I speak only from my own experience!

Just use lard. I know it sounds gross, it even smells vaguely gross, but a pound of Snowcap lard is like $1. Tried this once when making a pie crust (for a French-Canadian meat pie) and am not inclined to look back. Cut it with butter if you must for the savory richness, but lard makes the best-textured, flakiest crust.

Fake edit: I don't want to Guy Goodbody/Gripweed up the AFP thread but I don't document my ugly foods, have a look at my crack buns instead. Made these for the whole office, including homemade patissiere cream/whip cream blend:

Surely someone finds this image gross...and look at how wrong they are. :colbert:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oddhair posted:

Just use lard. I know it sounds gross, it even smells vaguely gross, but a pound of Snowcap lard is like $1. Tried this once when making a pie crust (for a French-Canadian meat pie) and am not inclined to look back. Cut it with butter if you must for the savory richness, but lard makes the best-textured, flakiest crust.

I am inclined to agree with this and this autumn I will report back with apple/pumpkin pie and lard crust results

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oddhair posted:

Fake edit: I don't want to Guy Goodbody/Gripweed up the AFP thread but I don't document my ugly foods, have a look at my crack buns instead. Made these for the whole office, including homemade patissiere cream/whip cream blend:

Surely someone finds this image gross...and look at how wrong they are. :colbert:

Post the recipe, dingus

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Mushika posted:

So you like old, worn-out shoes as opposed to well-maintained ones? I know what I'm buying you for Christmas.

I hope that shoemaker gag is the last.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm messed up, even in cheap single serve pot pies, I still like the crust. I can't help it

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

TotalLossBrain posted:

UH hi Jeremy I didn't know you posted here.

Jeremy's posted
Pineapple cake

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

The Bloop posted:

Post the recipe, dingus

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I almost forgot about Chocolate Delight! My aunt makes it for big family get togethers. It's like a bunch of Cool Whip, pudding, cream cheese, and pecans all layered together and if you like chocolate it's worth fighting at least one medium sized human for.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oddhair posted:

Ive heard somewhere that theres a "lard for savoury pie, butter for sweet" thing in crusts. I have no idea how true it is. But I do know everyone in french canadia (even the heretics who call a normal meat pie tourtiere) that lard always makes the best meat pies.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

shut up!!! dunkaroo dip

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

LifeSunDeath posted:

What the gently caress. It's like a weird kind of would, but if feel like it tastes very bad on top of being impossible to eat with your hands. But I love mac and cheese so much that I would still try.

E: OMG they have a whole range of this poo poo

https://www.flipntossnyc.com/

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Needs more american cheese on it.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

...gonna just go run back out to HEB for a sec, for uh

reasons

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Post the recipe, dingus

Oops...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KbrKbO1eAs

Lightly sweetened creme, lightly sweetened whipped cream.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Dutch apple pie loving sucks

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Oddhair posted:

Oops...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KbrKbO1eAs

Lightly sweetened creme, lightly sweetened whipped cream.

Chef John has the most annoying speaking inflection I've ever heard in my life. Jesus Christ. His food always looks decent, but that voice over. Eeesh.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

That's just pride, loving with you. It never helps, etc. Also, the valley girl BS can't be that drat bad, I had to sort of experience it real time and I made it out.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

loving fight me irl

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Brawnfire posted:

I was still a little disappointed by the crust, and I used an all-butter recipe.

Well, there's your problem. You can't make pastry out of just butter. That's just coating some food in butter and it'll melt as soon as you try to cook it. :downs:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tiggum posted:

Well, there's your problem. You can't make pastry out of just butter. That's just coating some food in butter and it'll melt as soon as you try to cook it. :downs:

:hmmyes:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

Checks out.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Tiggum posted:

so eat it cold then

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

LifeSunDeath posted:

What the gently caress. It's like a weird kind of would, but if feel like it tastes very bad on top of being impossible to eat with your hands. But I love mac and cheese so much that I would still try.

E: OMG they have a whole range of this poo poo

https://www.flipntossnyc.com/

I would eat every single one of these without shame, but a ton of remorse when my heart stops a few minutes later

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTem0Q7Nk0Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007