Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

IIRC, all it does is make it so that you don’t get instantly identified when you do a crime; if you flee the scene before the lawmen come, you won’t get a bounty. But if a lawman sees you in a crime zone, you’re getting a bounty whether you have a mask on or not.

I think, anyway

nah, unless patches have changed this, I explicitly remember trying to figure this out with a bunch of goons during launch. masks don't protect your identity whatsoever, and unless you stop a witness, you're gonna be magically found out and a bounty placed on your head. they only stop honour changes, I believe.

we even went down the rabbit hole of "maybe if we change our outfit / horse / behaviour / hair, NPCs and Lawmen won't instantly tag us with a mask" but that was bogus and didn't work either. It was simulated horse ball physics level of hype.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Its always worked the way he described i just think you need to have completely lost the law before removing the mask or bandana. It says Arthur Morgan in the Wanted display if they identify you

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

If stops witnesses from being able to describe you to the law but if law themselves comes snd sees you they can identify you presumably because you are notorious

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That's how masks have always worked for me. 99% of getting away with crime is escaping before the cops arrive, if they are called at all.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

FreudianSlippers posted:

That's how masks have always worked for me. 99% of getting away with crime is escaping before the cops arrive, if they are called at all.

Conversely, you can just hunt the witnesses :killing:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

If my layman-rear end had to guess it’s that there are only so many slots per region per server to pitch a camp within x “miles” of another player’s/posse’s camp and they haven’t figured out how to solve it (obviously).

It's server population related. For the past two weeks, I've seen this happen over and over again:

Server player population below 14? Camp will spawn, quicker the fewer players are on the server. An empty lobby sees the camp spawn instantly, repeatedly, and reliably.

Server population between 14-18? Camp spawning is unreliable, but will eventually work. You'll likely get irritated and tired of trying, but it will eventually spawn.

Server population above 18? Camp will not spawn.

Got an empty/low pop lobby and the server repopulates with 18 or more players? Camp despawns, will not respawn.

At this point the only fixes I see are Rockstar either capping servers to 14 players, or allowing us to make invite only servers. I'd prefer the latter as the pissbabies are far more common and I'm too drat old and tired to give a poo poo about PvP gank crews anymore, as are my friends, but I worry that Rockstar would treat RDO invite servers like they did GTAO where the majority of content was unavailable because no! Deal with toxic assholes.

Edit:

Got good video of my suspicions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OIDI1GVq98

Confirmation of empty lobby repeatedly as I play

Animals everywhere, went to Emerald Ranch and confirmed it twice

Animals spawning outside of ranch

REPEATED camps going up in various areas

Still solo, still working, made a note of the in-game time via pressing down on the d-pad

Psycho Cripps killing my bounty (this is new, granted I've never rode to my camp with a bounty but hey)

Player repopulation as it happened upon completing a defend the campers random event.

Empty ranch upon returning to Emerald Ranch after repopulation

Camp vanishing

Animals vanishing

Lootable enemy corpses vanishing upon repopulation

Beeb fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 30, 2019

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:
Whenever I connect to the Rockstar servers it causes my Wifi allergy to flare up and cause Morgellon outbreaks on my neck and forearms. Fix your game, R*!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

At this point the only fixes I see are Rockstar either capping servers to 14 players, or allowing us to make invite only servers.
You did all this research but why would you claim this to be he only fix options? What do you know about the code that suggests these are the only options?

What you are suggesting seems like world arounds, not fixese. Yes I'm being pedantic cuz I'd like to know what makes you so sure :colbert:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Eggplant Ronin posted:

Whenever I connect to the Rockstar servers it causes my Wifi allergy to flare up and cause Morgellon outbreaks on my neck and forearms. Fix your game, R*!

Girl? Same!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Not too sure it's tied to the number of players. I had a solid hunting loop for a while on a server of 19 people. Did a delivery mission, and my camp moved after it was completed. Animals suddenly stopped spawning, and there were only two other people on the server

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Stooping down into this terrible conversation to say that camps almost always work for me. Sometimes it’ll flash “setting up camp” a few times and if I go a little ways it ends up spawning near where I originally was. Try galloping in any direction while it tries to spawn.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is RDR Online fun? I've had it for ages but haven't bothered playing cause my GTA Online experience was pretty lacklustre.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Qubee posted:

Is RDR Online fun? I've had it for ages but haven't bothered playing cause my GTA Online experience was pretty lacklustre.

I like the Collector stuff because it's just dicking around on the big map. I tried doing the story missions and anything about a "moral choice" where I'm depending on a couple randomly assigned maniacs is no fun

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Qubee posted:

It depends on what you find fun of course, but in my opinion it’s getting there. The professions are neat and fun to log in and dick around with for a while; if they continue to build on this with new professions I’m optimistic.

I just wish you could turn off open world pvp, but you can’t.

They also need to fix some bugs, like animals and camps not spawning, or bounties not giving you rewards

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Stooping down into this terrible conversation to say that camps almost always work for me. Sometimes it’ll flash “setting up camp” a few times and if I go a little ways it ends up spawning near where I originally was. Try galloping in any direction while it tries to spawn.

Yeah, that has not worked for me, you lucky dog.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
You can try resetting the cache too. I told R* about a visual bug in cinematic mode and they hit me back with this:

1) Press and hold the PlayStation button on your controller
2) Select Turn Off PS4
3) Let the PlayStation 4 fully power down and wait at least 30 seconds
4) Restart the PlayStation 4
5) Hold L1 + R1 while booting up the game

Note: This will also reset your brightness setting and choice of language.

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

Qubee posted:

If you want to shoot poo poo across aesthetically pleasing landscapes or play dress up, it's great. If you want to watch numbers go up or you experience anxiety attacks when another player shoots you, you'll hate it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Any tips or advice if I'm about to jump in for the first time? I'm not worried about open world PVP, I love the idea. But is it basically like Rust where it's "shoot first, question later"? I'd get pretty tired of it pretty fast if every encounter is just immediate gun slinging, instead of talking first and then deciding if we wanna riddle each other with holes. Is the map different to singleplayer?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nah, most people seem to be kind of hands off about aggression with other players these days. They added Offensive and Defensive playstyles--Offensive is full PVP mode, while Defensive means you can't be locked by another player and they can't rope you. A lot of people will coast in Defensive until they either have to go Offensive for something like a delivery or stranger mission or they've been harrassed. But with defensive on, most people will interact with you quietly or not at all. Heck, people even give each other gifts and poo poo. It's a much more mellow game than GTAO where ruining someone's day could be hilariously trivial.

That said, if you want things to get crazy, Valentine is where poo poo pops off the most.

Map is the same. Several of the characters are ones you might recognize from single player.

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

Qubee posted:

Any tips or advice if I'm about to jump in for the first time?

Don't worry about your Honor and also don't waste gold on changing your Honor.

Pick whatever weapon you want, don't bother with stats.

Don't sweat the choices in story missions, you can always replay them.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Are the story missions important at all? I’ve just been dicking around with trading and bounties and haven’t touched them

E: in online, I mean

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Are the story missions important at all? I’ve just been dicking around with trading and bounties and haven’t touched them

E: in online, I mean

you get a bunch of money as a first time bonus for each of them and you get another like $200+ bonus something when you complete each set

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

The camp bug has been driving me nuts lately. Had a great hunting haul last night, went to bring it back and whoops, Cripps packed up my camp and it won't respawn. Had to jump to another server and lost all my poo poo.

E: ^^ level 8 trader here :kiddo: good to know tho

talktapes fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 1, 2019

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

If you get the Hunting Wagon, you can bank anything that fits on the wagon and it'll survive server hops.

I noticed that Alligator skins don't seem to take up any space at all on the hunting wagon, perhaps because Cripps doesn't want them. I still had about 12 went I took the wagon to the butcher, though.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Qubee posted:

Any tips or advice if I'm about to jump in for the first time? I'm not worried about open world PVP, I love the idea. But is it basically like Rust where it's "shoot first, question later"? I'd get pretty tired of it pretty fast if every encounter is just immediate gun slinging, instead of talking first and then deciding if we wanna riddle each other with holes. Is the map different to singleplayer?

Do the story missions to earn a decent amount of cash early on.

Don't blow you cash on clothes or other aesthetics right away, some good stuff opens up as you level up.

The outlaw pass is totally worth it if you have the gold bars for it (don't actually pay money for gold bars though). You progress super fast and get lots of free poo poo, and if you get to level 70 you earn your gold bar investment back.

Most people will leave you alone, but if you start poo poo with players in free roam expect to fight them constantly until one of you logs off the server.

Pick up one or more of the roles in game, it helps focus your experience once all of the story missions are done.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Yeah, that wagon--barring its inability to reach me even when I am literally at a main roadway--is sort of a godsend. I won't lie, sometimes I got to the menu > online > free roam [state] to fast travel instead of paying anything or hoofing it, plus I never know when I might have to just hop offline for a while, so the way it works as storage is fantastic. I sorta suspect we may see larger hunting wagons, too, as things progress.

All that said, last night I wasted like probably 20 (in game) dollars because when I COULD get Cripps to pitch my camp, he'd tear it down again before I got to it. At one point, I had spent an excruciating amount of time in the vicinity of my camp collecting a full wagon of perfect pronghorn and whitetail, and when I took it to my camp, i reached the literal threshold of camp and it just vanished, and I was informed Cripps packed up.

I think I know how Cripps dies.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I feel like they should make placing the camp free until they fix the bug that makes it disappear without your permission

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

this new condor egg free roam event sounds cool, it’s PvE with a bunch of bandits, everyone has one life, and whoever finds the condor egg gets $1000(!)

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

I feel like they should make placing the camp free until they fix the bug that makes it disappear without your permission

Money is so trivial to make after this update that a couple of bucks a few times a day is nothing.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Funso Banjo posted:

Money is so trivial to make after this update that a couple of bucks a few times a day is nothing.

It's the principle! :mad:

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I see both sides of that, myself. Sure, money is trivial-ish now, but also I am saving for a bunch of poo poo cause I didn't really play RDO much before this update, so the money going into pitching disappearing camps is frustrating af.

In other news, I just jumped on a train that mowed down an NPC and is now traversing the map with him in the cow catcher.

Edit: any tips re: condor egg hunt?

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 2, 2019

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Terra-da-loo! posted:

In other news, I just jumped on a train that mowed down an NPC and is now traversing the map with him in the cow catcher.

This happened to me the other night. Gun fighting bandits near some tracks when a train comes barreling through and takes one out. It was awesome, because it was also at night.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Qubee posted:

Any tips or advice if I'm about to jump in for the first time?

If you want a fairly low effort, solo way of making alot of XP and money then the Collector role is pretty good for that (initially requires 15 gold bars though).

I use this Twitter account to find Madam Nazar's location: https://twitter.com/MadamNazar

And this interactive map to find the collectables: https://jeanropke.github.io/RDR2CollectorsMap/

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fanatic posted:

If you want a fairly low effort, solo way of making alot of XP and money then the Collector role is pretty good for that (initially requires 15 gold bars though).

I use this Twitter account to find Madam Nazar's location: https://twitter.com/MadamNazar

And this interactive map to find the collectables: https://jeanropke.github.io/RDR2CollectorsMap/

Are the collector items always in the same exact spot? I don't particularly enjoy the "find an item in a broad yellow search zone" style of gameplay but if you can just cheat with a 3rd party website until you get the metal detector then I might just do that if the money's good.

Speaking of money, do bounty hunter rewards get better as you level the role up? I tooled around with it last night and I got literally $9 for turning in a live capture; does it just suck when you're low level?

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Ainsley McTree posted:

Are the collector items always in the same exact spot? I don't particularly enjoy the "find an item in a broad yellow search zone" style of gameplay but if you can just cheat with a 3rd party website until you get the metal detector then I might just do that if the money's good.

Yeah, they're on a 3 day cycle and the map automatically updates to account for it.

I don't have the metal detector either yet but you can collect plants, eggs, alcohol and cards without a detector or a shovel which is good. Just make sure you only sell when you have completed the set.

Kudos to whoever posted the map a few pages back, glad I bookmarked it. :)

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
get the metal detector, there are a few spots where there are both detectable items mixed with cards/disturbed earth loot almost next to each other

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Speaking of money, do bounty hunter rewards get better as you level the role up?

Yeah, but it's still sort of a grind compared to the other two roles. I have Collector and Trader at 20 and Bounty Hunter at 4 cause I honestly dgaf enough. The other roles have been way more profitable, from my experience. Less action-packed, but maybe that's one reason I prefer em. Dunno.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Ainsley McTree posted:

Speaking of money, do bounty hunter rewards get better as you level the role up? I tooled around with it last night and I got literally $9 for turning in a live capture; does it just suck when you're low level?

Collector items make your controller vibrate as a hot/cold mechanism. The items also make a distinct sound when you're near one (I use this to locate items because I keep controller vibration turned off). They're not always in the same spot, apparently there's a set of three spawns for the entire game world that rotate at different times.

Bounty hunter rewards get better when you gain access to harder bounties. The $ on the poster is an indicator of the difficulty. $$ and $$$ pay more.

Trader is by far the most profitable profession once you have the large delivery wagon if you have time to hunt all day to fill up your materials. Collectibles are a decent source of money since they're fuckin' everywhere especially once you have a metal detector. I have so many duplicate collectibles that I sell myself down to 2 of each item, keeping spares to finish the collection and to consume them when it's a daily challenge (usually antique alcohol).

Also, the Trader and Collector free roam games are great for boosting your income. A perfect Trade Route run nets you 18 goods (this saves a lot of time waiting for goods to generate), and I can usually grab at least 10 collectible items while I'm in Salvage.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 2, 2019

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Yeah, but it's still sort of a grind compared to the other two roles. I have Collector and Trader at 20 and Bounty Hunter at 4 cause I honestly dgaf enough. The other roles have been way more profitable, from my experience. Less action-packed, but maybe that's one reason I prefer em. Dunno.

its because bounty hunter is the only one still tied to the gtao timer system which never worked except at getting people to sit around not playing the game in order to maximize their profits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
I really thought I'd be into the bounty hunter role, but that's sitting at level 5 while trader and collector are like 13 or 14 already. It's just not as interesting or varied, though that may be because like Major Warren I never bring the bounty in alive.