Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Bilirubin posted:

Wounds trailer is out. Can I post it here or should it go TVIV?

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

Oh poo poo, I saw a poster for that, is it based on the Balingrud book?

Based upon the horror novella, The Visible Filth, by Nathan Ballingrud

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21NsBTI6kHY

The trailer owns.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Flaggy posted:

Based upon the horror novella, The Visible Filth, by Nathan Ballingrud

Not, you know, "Wounds", by Nathan Ballingrud??

edit-- Ah, I just watched the trailer. The Visible Filth is a better name :colbert: but yeah you're right

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 30, 2019

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

Not, you know, "Wounds", by Nathan Ballingrud??

edit-- Ah, I just watched the trailer. The Visible Filth is a better name :colbert: but yeah you're right

I was just copying what I saw on the IMBD page. But Wounds does indeed own.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
That trailer looks good but I'm a bit sad we're not getting satanist pirates.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Tim Curran wrote two novellas set in the Dead Sea world. The novel was pretty good, if overly long, so hopefully keeping the stories at novella length will fix that problem.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

bloom posted:

That trailer looks good but I'm a bit sad we're not getting satanist pirates.

True, but we're getting angels instead, and how could that be bad?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

fauna posted:

starfish was disappointing :( it had a great first half but then just didn't really go anywhere with it. and it set up this amazing character-driven psychological horror scenario and then just didn't follow through on that at all either. it all just kind of fizzled out!

I should have been more clear that the underwater part of Starfish is super interesting and then it kinda falls apart, sorry. Just make sure to follow the advice of whoever upthread said to never read the sequels. They go from disappointing to unreadable exploitative garbage.

Muninn
Dec 29, 2008

Ornamented Death posted:

Tim Curran wrote two novellas set in the Dead Sea world. The novel was pretty good, if overly long, so hopefully keeping the stories at novella length will fix that problem.

This made my day.

Curran badly needs an editor who will restrain his descriptive excesses but for sheer visceral fun he rarely disappoints.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Esme posted:

I should have been more clear that the underwater part of Starfish is super interesting and then it kinda falls apart, sorry. Just make sure to follow the advice of whoever upthread said to never read the sequels. They go from disappointing to unreadable exploitative garbage.
haha that's fine, the good part was worth reading! normally i get annoyed when a book blows its potential that badly, but i kind of just felt sad for the author in this case because even though he wasted a great set of characters i can understand they would have been really psychologically difficult to write. so i kind of don't blame him for going "gently caress this back to the tech"

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
I really liked that authors space novels. Blindsight was amazing and echopraxia was...a thing.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

l33tfuzzbox posted:

I really liked that authors space novels. Blindsight was amazing and echopraxia was...a thing.
i haven't read any of his other stuff but i've heard people talk about his cool hard-sci vampires, i'm guessing the background for those is they're descended from the survivors of the underwater crazy people program from starfish?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

fauna posted:

i haven't read any of his other stuff but i've heard people talk about his cool hard-sci vampires, i'm guessing the background for those is they're descended from the survivors of the underwater crazy people program from starfish?

iirc they're based on a now-debunked anthropological theory regarding an extinct offshoot of homo sapiens that predated on the rest of them

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Oxxidation posted:

iirc they're based on a now-debunked anthropological theory regarding an extinct offshoot of homo sapiens that predated on the rest of them
oh

:geno:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

clan of the cave bear is still the closest to reality imo

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah. Watts' science fiction is interesting because he is a biologist as opposed to your standard astroquantumphysspacewooo writer - his ideas come from a different angle.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i guess now i can swipe that concept for my own wretched use

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Looking for a short story collection to read through for spooky month. Loved the Weird but not necessarily looking for weird-specific. I’m not into splatter/torture type stuff. Last year I read 999: New Stories of Horror and it was very hit and miss.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

FastestGunAlive posted:

Looking for a short story collection to read through for spooky month. Loved the Weird but not necessarily looking for weird-specific. I’m not into splatter/torture type stuff. Last year I read 999: New Stories of Horror and it was very hit and miss.

Bluegrass Symphony by Lisa L. Hannett

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

FastestGunAlive posted:

just finished "The Inhabitant Of The Lake and Less Welcome Tenants" by Ramsey Campbell and its very enjoyable - but pretty meat and potatos weird Cthulhuverse fiction

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

FastestGunAlive posted:

nathan balingrund's north american lake monsters
m. r. james collected ghost stories
thomas ligotti teatro grotesco or songs of a dead dreamer and grimscribe
robert aickman, compulsory games or, honestly, anything

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

beef pork goat

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

beef pork goat

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

beef pork goat

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
nonsense

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I just finished Lake Monsters and it's as great as everybody says. It really reignited my love of horror shorts; every story is just long enough to make its point and get creepy without getting bogged down in "Why is this happening" and capital P Plot. I think The Monsters of Heaven and The Good Husband were my favorites.

Also, is there no ebook edition of Teatro Grottesco available anywhere or am I just blind?

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Lester Shy posted:

I just finished Lake Monsters and it's as great as everybody says. It really reignited my love of horror shorts; every story is just long enough to make its point and get creepy without getting bogged down in "Why is this happening" and capital P Plot. I think The Monsters of Heaven and The Good Husband were my favorites.

Also, is there no ebook edition of Teatro Grottesco available anywhere or am I just blind?

Yeah it's weird, there's an italian one, and my library has an english ebook, but I can't buy it anywhere.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

just read it in italian

imabanana
May 26, 2006
Just read Wounds and North American Lake Monsters, and enjoyed the former more than the latter. Both were fine, but it all reminds me a little too much of Clive Barker-style horror which isn't really my favorite.

I think I enjoy horror more, even short horror, when the protagonist has redeeming qualities of any sort.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
imagine needing to like the protagonist in order to enjoy a piece of fiction lol

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
If I like the horror protagonist I just feel really bad when they die and/or get eternally tormented. That's fine in small doses, but too much for me to deal with all the time. But if it's someone like Sam Strutt from Ramsey Campbell's "Cold Print," it's really satisfying when they get their just deserts. :unsmigghh:

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER posted:

Yeah it's weird, there's an italian one, and my library has an english ebook, but I can't buy it anywhere.

I bought the ebook on Amazon in 2015 and can still download it to my Kindle but it doesnt show up for purchase any more, very strange.

Owlkill fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 8, 2019

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

just finished "The Inhabitant Of The Lake and Less Welcome Tenants" by Ramsey Campbell and its very enjoyable - but pretty meat and potatos weird Cthulhuverse fiction

I'd recommend "Dark Companions" by Campbell - seems to mostly stick to regular supernatural rather than Cthulhuverse.

I'm currently reading "Demons by Daylight: Supernatural Fictions", which is somewhat inaccurately titled given that at least two of the stories have regular non-spooky humans as the source of the horror.

I hear a lot about Campbell being a writer of Mythos fiction but somehow I seem to have avoided that in what I've read of him so far, though I've only got those two collections. He's very good at evoking a particularly British dinginess that somehow really adds to to the creeping grimness, I find. And some good folk horror themes too.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Owlkill posted:

I'd recommend "Dark Companions" by Campbell - seems to mostly stick to regular supernatural rather than Cthulhuverse.

I'm currently reading "Demons by Daylight: Supernatural Fictions", which is somewhat inaccurately titled given that at least two of the stories have regular non-spooky humans as the source of the horror.

I hear a lot about Campbell being a writer of Mythos fiction but somehow I seem to have avoided that in what I've read of him so far, though I've only got those two collections. He's very good at evoking a particularly British dinginess that somehow really adds to to the creeping grimness, I find. And some good folk horror themes too.

yeah i quite like him. all of the mythos stuff he wrote i think when he was quite young, and i'm glad he got away from it a bit. his dirty, diabolic and grimey britain is way more fun. i love the settings in The Nameless, all these odd derelicts in the middle of dense areas, hidden in plain sight

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Just finished Songs of a Dead Dreamer. I don't know if I have anything unique to say about it, but I loved it, and I could probably reread it right now and discover tons of new details.

I don't have much experience with "weird" fiction. I've read a smattering of Lovecraft, but he never really grabbed me. Ligotti's stories are much more evocative and relatable, but they also feel like dreams themselves; you're entranced while you're reading them, but they start to slip through your fingers after you wake up.

I've always been fascinated by dreams. Ligotti and David Lynch are two of the few artists who've been able to capture how a nightmare really feels to me. I rarely have nightmares where a big monster is chasing me and I learn some plot-relevant facts about my life, but walking down an unfamiliar street, not knowing how you got there and spotting an obscure figure in the glow of a street lamp is extremely my poo poo.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is there any must-read Michael McDowell after Blackwater and The Elementals? I just read Cold Moon Over Babylon and found it paled in comparison, and the synopses of his other books don't seem that appealing.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

snoremac posted:

Is there any must-read Michael McDowell after Blackwater and The Elementals? I just read Cold Moon Over Babylon and found it paled in comparison, and the synopses of his other books don't seem that appealing.

Joke answer: Beetlejuice.

Real answer: I haven't read much more than those two but they're pretty universally pointed out as his best work.

edit: apparently he also wrote the story for The Nightmare Before Christmas so I guess the man had a much bigger impact on my childhood than I thought. Now I want to track down the episodes of Tales from the Crypt/Darkside he wrote for curiosity's sake.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 10, 2019

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Clive Barker's The Hellbound Heart is currently two dollars on Kindle. Is it worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
No.
edit: Wait, is that the first one? Then yes, I guess, if you don't mind it's just body horror.