Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

On this issue: my computer can run a lot of AAA games at 1440p@60 no problem and for some reason in Arena whenever I go to the deck select I get super slowdown into the 15fps range

Today I learned I cannot both play MtG:A and listen to music via minimized YouTube videos at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i was drunk and crafted bant food and spent ~22 rares and ~9 MRs to finish it, and after a few games making GBS threads on RDW and Teferi, no ragrets

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
The arena client is unfortunately really badly coded. Don't blame me, I played artifact.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I crafted my four Okos and have not drawn him. Hope I drafted the right one. I can't decid whether to craft the four gooses or finish up the stax deck. Really want to play golos/field but I'm a lot farther away.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I wonder if there's a poor soul out there that accidentally spent 4 mythic wildcards on the Planeswalker Deck Oko

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m thinking about running Giant Golos in the play anything event but I’m wondering how that deck deals with cavalcade.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Love it, I forgot how much the start of a new season is basically the ship's log from Event Horizon, just complete gore and destruction and utter misery

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Edit: this was a salt message, deleted

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Beast, if only because you might have a use for him after the draft is over.
(And even if Belle gets got Beast is still a good blocker)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Thanks, maybe I will go do that draft because in the meantime ranked is uh not treating me very well

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Burnt my play any games trying out some of those sapphire league decks

Jeskai Fires seems like a deck 80% of the way there but kinda meh. The ah-ha movement with Castle Vantress was good but eh, kinda just flooded anyway.
BG Adventures seems like people will start putting Shock back in their decks any day now and then having a 1/1 on turn1 that wins the game won't be a thing.
WG Adventures seemed like you have hands with Edgewall or you have hands you mulligan into hands with Edgewall or you lose. Also I have no idea why this deck has Once Upon a Time in it.
Giant Golos I played two games and the first I got one of those "Opponents don't know stuff about things" and the other I cast Agent of Treachery on my opponent's Fields of the Dead which he... Kept putting into play.

I feel like a Jund Adventures deck is possible but I'm not precisely certain how to put it together. I think someone mentioned that up thread.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
Won game 6 of my sealed run by swinging with everything and killing my opponent by casting Foreboding Fruit on them. It feels good.

chefscientist fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 1, 2019

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's P1P1 time again

Lovestruck Beast or Bake into a Pie?

This was the exact discussion on the latest Lords of Limited podcast. Their conclusion was that Lovestruck Beast was the pick, but a lot of the reason was that it's a single green rather than double black, so it keeps your draft more open and flexible. They also said if it was their first draft in the format they'd probably take Bake into a pie, but that green in general ended up stronger than they thought, so it's not a sacrifice to go into that color.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Raredraft Lovestruck Beast cause it's constructed playable

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Mono Black it's been a long time since I've had success using you competitively, it's good to have you back :love:

Edit: laughing my rear end off that I now have a legit incentive to put all 4 of my Gutterbones into an oven deck

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 1, 2019

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

mandatory lesbian posted:

exile me to the wastes, there is no place for me in civilization anymore

worse, you’ll be exiled to standard only “just for fun” lobbies in mtgo

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wonder if there's a poor soul out there that accidentally spent 4 mythic wildcards on the Planeswalker Deck Oko

I got confused once and crafted a planeswalker deck sorin. I'm still salty about it, they should add a warning like for the rotation cards "Are you sure you want to craft this card? It is intentionally bad so that new players don't get too much value."

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

if you have a limited number of wildcards then you'll want to spend them on cards that you can use in multiple decks. you will not want to use them for cards that can only be played in a small number of decks.

for example, if you want to play the Lance Vance Manse Dance deck then yes Doom Foretold is necessary, but it's good in that deck and only that deck, so you might not want to build it even if that one specific deck is really good.

so when people say Castle Thegreenone is a "safe craft" they're full of poo poo, because it's not even played in all the green midrange decks.

that same dumbass image also has Wildborn Preserver as a 3 of, which is barely played at all.

in short, don't believe everything you see, especially from reddit of all places.

Yeah the Arena subreddit is really, really dumb/bad. It's reaching r/pcmasterace levels of toxicity and I'm convinced everyone on there is a 15 year-old with no money playing the game on a laptop from 2003 and who views every move WOTC makes as specifically designed to screw them.

pointsofdata posted:

I got confused once and crafted a planeswalker deck sorin. I'm still salty about it, they should add a warning like for the rotation cards "Are you sure you want to craft this card? It is intentionally bad so that new players don't get too much value."

Imo it's still worth it to buy the planeswalker deck codes on ebay for 2-5 bucks just for the handful of useful uncommons plus a rare or two that keeps you from getting them when opening packs.

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 1, 2019

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

axeil posted:

Yeah the Arena subreddit is really, really dumb/bad. It's reaching r/pcmasterace levels of toxicity and I'm convinced everyone on there is a 15 year-old with no money playing the game on a laptop from 2003 and who views every move WOTC makes as specifically designed to screw them.

MTG Arena subreddit pie chart:

15% People playing on literal potatoes complaining about bugs
35% "I made it to mythic and had no one to share it with"
25% "Check out my homebrew*"
15% "This game is P2W and I'm saying that as a Hearthstone player"
10% Monologues about the existential nature of digital players versus paper players

* homebrew = netdeck but replaced a single land with a one-of utility land

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

knockout posted:

MTG Arena subreddit pie chart:

15% People playing on literal potatoes complaining about bugs
35% "I made it to mythic and had no one to share it with"
25% "Check out my homebrew*"
15% "This game is P2W and I'm saying that as a Hearthstone player"
10% Monologues about the existential nature of digital players versus paper players

* homebrew = netdeck but replaced a single land with a one-of utility land

You forgot the part where every move WOTC makes has to be a huge conspiracy against the players and if we scream about it enough they'll reverse it. The fact the game needs to make money is disgusting and evil and how dare anyone spend any money on this game while *checks notes* the client only has 150 deck slots instead of an infinite number.

Also Hasbro ordered anything bad because clearly high level executives are opining on the wild card redemption rate for a format in a digital card game.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You think that's toxic, check out the TG thread

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

axeil posted:

You forgot the part where every move WOTC makes has to be a huge conspiracy against the players and if we scream about it enough they'll reverse it. The fact the game needs to make money is disgusting and evil and how dare anyone spend any money on this game while *checks notes* the client only has 150 deck slots instead of an infinite number.

Also Hasbro ordered anything bad because clearly high level executives are opining on the wild card redemption rate for a format in a digital card game.

Ahahahaha that is very accurate

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I am LOVING cat oven rakdos style

it shits on knight decks so harshly

im working with a list that has some claim the firstborn and that and oven, or even better, using as fuel with a Priest of Forgotten Gods and mayhem demon to blow them out and board wipe em while drawing cards with midnight reaper.

i havent tried it but im pretty sure you can yoink hydras and krasises with claim the firstborn, hilariously

so much synergy.

https://mtgarena.pro/decks/fun-fun-fun-b705e/

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Being able to haste your own dude with claim the firstborn is so nice. It's also the first deck where I feel like angrath's rampage is living up to what I expected from it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Taking dudes creatures and saccing them is so rude, I love it

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

axeil posted:

It gets super annoying when it's applied to everything they do, but it's still worth remembering Wizards conditioned players to react this way by overreaching and then backing down in the face of public pressure twice in the last few months. Sometimes you get the community you deserve.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 1, 2019

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

No Wave posted:

Being able to haste your own dude with claim the firstborn is so nice. It's also the first deck where I feel like angrath's rampage is living up to what I expected from it.

i feel like there has to be a better card out there than rattlebones, but maybe more games will prove em to be useful. its a lot of mana to recur them compared to the cat which is free.

maybe im just dumb, but in almsot every game its just been a single black mana body that could be any other single black mana body and i only think about recurring it if something bad happens in my gameplan

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Yes hello my knights would like to report a Limited war crime

I won 2-1 in the end but still, that was the rudest thing anyone has done to me in Draft in a while. Glad that card's uncommon at least.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Kanfy posted:

I won 2-1 in the end but still, that was the rudest thing anyone has done to me in Draft in a while. Glad that card's uncommon at least.

hahahah

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I dropped that card on a guy running two Improbable Alliance. I'm sure he wasn't happy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Zyla posted:

i feel like there has to be a better card out there than rattlebones, but maybe more games will prove em to be useful. its a lot of mana to recur them compared to the cat which is free.

maybe im just dumb, but in almsot every game its just been a single black mana body that could be any other single black mana body and i only think about recurring it if something bad happens in my gameplan
a.) its the only 1 mana 2/1 in the colors
b.) the recurring is super nice in a deck that does 1 face damage for free

Gutterbones is amazin in the deck. Obviously you'd run 8 cats if you could, but you cant.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Kanfy posted:

I had an amazing Traditional draft last night against someone who got Revenge of Ravens on the board. We were tied 1-1, I had won Game 1 by just out valuing their cards, they won Game 2 by out aggro-ing me.

In Game 3 we got into a bit of a board stall where they had Revenge of Ravens on the board (making it impossible for me to attack), and they had that catapult that pings for 1. My life was slowly going down but I had 2 copies of that 1 mana blue adventure that lets you put 4 cards from the library in the graveyard. I was down to 1 life and managed to use a glass tomb to turn off the catapult and then played the blue discard spell, putting my opponent at 3 cards.

They manage to top deck another copy of the catapult and played it, meaning I would lose come their next turn. But I manage to top deck my other discard 4 spell, cast it and won during my opponent's upkeep.

Just an incredible match. It's a shame that Traditional Draft is so expensive because I think bo3 is much more interesting than bo1.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I've had awful traditional drafts. 8 games all land starved with mulligans and one of my wins had to come from someone intentionally tanking every turn while spamming hello. Just got kicked out of my draft from someone perfectly top decking and whelp, I don't believe in the shuffler being pure variance anymore

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
I kind of felt bad for my opponent here too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sjonkel posted:

This was the exact discussion on the latest Lords of Limited podcast. Their conclusion was that Lovestruck Beast was the pick, but a lot of the reason was that it's a single green rather than double black, so it keeps your draft more open and flexible. They also said if it was their first draft in the format they'd probably take Bake into a pie, but that green in general ended up stronger than they thought, so it's not a sacrifice to go into that color.

Maybe I should listen to Lords of Limited. I have been on the Limited Resources train and I like LSV but Marshall... eh

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

The knights triumphed over evil in the end with a 5-1 run. :toot:

I haven't played in a while and pretty much winged the lands, but at the very least it's clear you likely want to focus heavily on one color if possible. MVP was definitely the Ardenvale Tacticians, those things are real good. Resolute Rider wins the biggest disappointment award, it had an impact on the game exactly zero times.

Also if Weapon Rack moves a counter on something and the target is killed in response, the counter stays on the Rack instead of being gone presumably since the transfer doesn't have a valid target anymore. Took both me and my opponent by surprise, card's at least a little better than it seems.

Oceanbound posted:

I kind of felt bad for my opponent here too.

Gross

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The "P2P1" dilemma. Do I ditch green to play serpent? I am trying to be disciplined and not go three colors especially in this set

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

My advice should be taken with a grain of salt since I haven't played much but that seems like an easy Faerie Vandal to me, based on my previous run that card is a real piece of work. You have a bunch of blue draw cards already and you also have zero 2-drops, obviously it's best in Blue/Red but it only really needs to trigger once to be above curve and anything past that only makes it more disgusting.

Most of those green cards aren't very good so a deck that's 80-85% blue with a bit of green or whatever other color could still be a viable path if the picks line up.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 1, 2019

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The "P2P1" dilemma. Do I ditch green to play serpent? I am trying to be disciplined and not go three colors especially in this set

Its an easy splash especially if you are playing green. An Egg and both halves of the 2/3 man dork let you play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Vandal or switch over to Dimir with that serpent. Prob just stick with U/G cus you have Lovestruck Beast and a bunch of ways to trigger Vandal. Plus there aren't a lot of strong fliers in this expansion.