Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

EHLO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Nice – apple has found the one secret trick to overcome "don't buy a version one Apple:" release a ton of updates in quick succession. Which version are you running? Don't know, number goes up faster than bitcoin.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah, no kidding. at this rate in a decade or so, they'll catch up with microsoft in terms of how often they patch their OS

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Patch Tuesday? More like Patch Past Five o Clock.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

normals don't spam the update check every 30 seconds so I doubt anyone will notice when they go from 12.x to 13.x

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
mail has been very broken in iOS 13. they’ve been trying to fix the clusterfuck core of the mail app for a long time. looks like this is a total rewrite. definitely has a long way to go before it’s good again.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
i feel like I post one thing over and over again

just lol if you use mail.ipa

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

mail has been very broken in iOS 13. they’ve been trying to fix the clusterfuck core of the mail app for a long time. looks like this is a total rewrite. definitely has a long way to go before it’s good again.

I'm getting a lot of that awesome "show a badge then don't download any new messages for 15 minutes" behavior I thought they got rid of

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

it was broken in 13, worked in 13.1, broken again, a different way in 13.1.1, so i expect 13.1.2 will just detonate the battery the next time the proximity sensor detects my face and solve the problem once and for all

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines posted:

it was broken in 13, worked in 13.1, broken again, a different way in 13.1.1, so i expect 13.1.2 will just detonate the battery the next time the proximity sensor detects my face and solve the problem once and for all
that would solve your problem - and ours

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ideal really

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

if you can find someone who works there the friends & family price is I think $150/year and it has no license restrictions on commercial use

e: or try affinity if you don't need to share files?

ooo that's a lot more like the classic student pricing. i was going to try and find someone to do the teacher pricing which is about $100 more but still better

I'm trying affinity right now, and yeah I wouldn't need to share files beyond the flattened file artwork, but it's like learning how to ride a bike backwards and upside down. all the parts are there but it's all different and my decades of muscle memory adobe use doesn't help at all

I tried Pixelmator and Pixelmator Pro which are Photoshop and Lightroom-like enough, but the main winning feature is their heal tool performance in quickly cleaning up photos and I find myself using them as a finishing phase

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I’ve become okay with not getting emails, where previously I had anxiety about emails. thanks Apple for making email not reliable enough to worry about.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

disable all notifications on your phone except the little # and keep it muted

thanks and bless

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

incoming 500 edge cases about people needing to know the second their favorite manga drops a new ep or whatever it's called

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i currently have 5,054 unread emails according to my phone

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

cool

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
i figure they’ll iron out most of the bugs in mail by the mid-year release. this is a step backwards but it was necessary to be able to move forward given how cruddy the internals of mail were.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

disable all notifications on your phone except the little # and keep it muted

thanks and bless

W I S D O M

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
now that’s a new thread title you can take to the bank

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

disable your phone

thanks and bless

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple Mail is basically spaghetti code written during the NeXT days lifted from the NeXT email client, it's a miracle that Microsoft managed to add an Exchange/Outhouse module to it that's more or less 80% functional (the 20% deductible being full Outlook calendar compatibility)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
something isn’t working perfectly? just full rewrite it and redesign it at the same time. endlessly.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Wild EEPROM posted:

something isn’t working perfectly? just full rewrite it and redesign it at the same time. endlessly.

for best results, sneak the outcome of this process into a point release, without warning any users

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/wooji/status/1178754163104272384

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
good things phones keep getting bigger, we're really putting all of that space to good use

https://twitter.com/agilethumbs/status/1178601578564997121

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

good things phones keep getting bigger, we're really putting all of that space to good use

https://twitter.com/agilethumbs/status/1178601578564997121

low information density is good, as long as you have the right information on screen and an obvious way to get more information if you need it

that second thing is where apple falls down the most because jony doesn't know software design

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

who remembers cover flow?

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Binary Badger posted:

Apple Mail is basically spaghetti code written during the NeXT days lifted from the NeXT email client, it's a miracle that Microsoft managed to add an Exchange/Outhouse module to it that's more or less 80% functional (the 20% deductible being full Outlook calendar compatibility)

I always wondered about that... not to be all "it's surely easy!!!", but jfc how loving difficult is it to a) connect to mail server(s), b) download poo poo c) prolly stuff it into a SQLite db, and d) show correct unread count according to a flag in the db table

?!?!?!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i wish they would add the option to do the badge win10 style where it only shows the number of new messages since you last looked at your inbox.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Switzerland posted:

I always wondered about that... not to be all "it's surely easy!!!", but jfc how loving difficult is it to a) connect to mail server(s), b) download poo poo c) prolly stuff it into a SQLite db, and d) show correct unread count according to a flag in the db table

?!?!?!

before it switched to icloud, the notes app used imap to sync notes

it didn't work well then, either

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

who remembers cover flow?

is that still a view style in finder?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Switzerland posted:

?!?!?!

based on what fucks up i'd say there are a lot of things that will corrupt the sqlite db in exciting and novel ways

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Switzerland posted:

?!?!?!

Email is a cursed protocol, and email character-set encoding is double cursed.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

the facial recognition in photos when it works owns bones. i do not like than you can’t really manually tag faces for it and if i could get this working 100% it would make my social media management that much easier

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

don't use social media

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

like the auto generated people videos are hilarious as gently caress every time and i love sending them to the people. one of them is just this photo of my friend and i in a cat bulldozer over and over again because i guess i’ve saved it on my phone over a dozen times set to a imagine dragons soundalike and i didn’t do anything to create this work of art

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

it just works

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

don't use social media

well yes but i do event planning and community outreach so i’m kind of stuck engaging in some capacity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

i still miss full screen album covers when you're playing music :/