Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ahobday posted:

Will it cause me any issues if I ignore all of the sidequests and collectibles in Astral Chain and focus on the main story? I know that you can reply missions, so nothing is missable, but if I ignore all that stuff am I going to be having any problems later in the game?

Sidequests are a good source of Rare and Premium Gene Codes, along with money for upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ahobday posted:

Will it cause me any issues if I ignore all of the sidequests and collectibles in Astral Chain and focus on the main story? I know that you can reply missions, so nothing is missable, but if I ignore all that stuff am I going to be having any problems later in the game?
you'll probably be fine, maybe a bit underpowered (rare codes especially) but there's a lot of stuff you can't even do until you have all the legions so don't expect to 100% any missions first run.

Blue missions in particular aren't that rewarding, the only give exp and stuff like healing items, don't think they ever give valuable materials.

The collectables like toilet paper and cats are only really one step above cosmetic, don't worry about them.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I’m not there yet, but some of the various tips and tricks pages mention a difficulty spike at the end and especially post-game.

You can replay missions from the computer in the control room if you hit a wall, though.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I dunno if anyone's mentioned this yet but

Code Vein
The items you can exchange valuables for called "<NPC Name's> Ichor" that say they increase your maximum Ichor, are not permanent increases. They are buff items to use if you want to top off your capacity before a boss without backstabbing dudes on the way.

Related: You will be able to buy Valuables with a repeatable-item-drop a few hours in, so don't feel like they're truly limited trade items. Also different items are worth different amounts of points (1-5) for different people, you can Google a guide if you really care about optimizing it.

Even if items share the same weapon class, they may operate differently; a broadsword and katana are both one-handed swords, but their attack patterns are wildly different. Very very relevant to this is that there are spears, which are polearms with a much better attack pattern than the big beefy halberds and poo poo.

Early-tier crafting materials drop like candy. Upgrade anything you want to at least +6/+7 without fear of running out of mats.

The fastest roll is a dash that you don't have recovery/standing-up time from. It's most easily reached by using a spell (Hasten) from one of the earlier class unlocks, and is well worth prioritizing for a number of boss fights.

ALWAYS LOOK OFF THE SIDE OF LEDGES. Like a third of the secret areas and even progression I've found by mid-game maps is from little drop-falls.

e: vvv Cool, put some more stuff in the post!

Chernobyl Peace Prize fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 1, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't think there's really anything for Code Vein at all yet, so you're welcome to add as much to that as you want, really. Everything helps.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

This is the guide for relationship items for Code Vein btw, best items at the top, worst at the bottom.
(potential plotline spoilers in list of names)

Kaboom Dragoon fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 1, 2019

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

This is the guide for relationship items for Code Vein btw, best items at the top, worst at the bottom.
You might want to spoiler that though, it contains a moderate plot give-away in it.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
A couple more tips for the Zelda Link's Awakening Remake:

- If there's anything rare/useful in the fishing hole, there will be a glow/ripple effect in the water. Useful for if you're just passing through Mabe Village.

- There are prizes available at the Seashell Mansion for finding up to 50 secret seashells, while in the original game you'd only get prizes for finding up to 20.

- Keep visiting the Trendy Game and the Shop in Mabe Village throughout the game, as both will update their stock/prizes as you make progress.

- There is an optional item you can get after finishing the trading sequence (the item is a boomerang). The information you need to find it can be found through in-game dialogue if you want to avoid using a guide. You'll definitely want to pick it up though, as it's a safe and efficient way of doing damage if your sword isn't an option (which is the case in some Chamber dungeons).

- Speaking of which, there are some collectible items that you can only get by playing the Chamber dungeons with Dampé (mostly heart pieces and secret seashells). It's also a really good source of money if you want to afford to buy things from the Shop...

- If you're the kind of person who finds the Chamber dungeons repetitive - but you still want to get the collectibles that come with it - you can get through some of the larger maps they throw at you by keeping the amount of chests you add to a minimum, as well as placing the dungeon entrance next to the nightmare key and door.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Do you get the chamber prizes out of the chests in the dungeon, or does Dampe give them to you?

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Pneub posted:

Do you get the chamber prizes out of the chests in the dungeon, or does Dampe give them to you?

Dampe gives them to you as a reward. The only things you can get from chests in Chamber dungeons are:

-- Small Keys (If there are locked doors)
-- 1 - 50 Rupees (If you've obtained enough small keys to open all of the locked doors in the dungeon)
-- The Nightmare Key (The last chest you open always contains this)

If you're trying to get through the Chamber dungeons as fast as possible, placing as few locked doors and treasure chests as possible is advisable. Keep in mind that each of Dampe's challenges will ask you to build a dungeon with a specific number of rooms, chests, or locked doors, so this method won't always work.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
In Battletech, how worried should I be about losing parts early on? Seems like I'm on a shoestring budget, and I replayed the post-timeskip mission a couple times because I keep getting torso bits melee'd off. Should I be more careful about not getting hit in melee, or less concerned with restarting every time there's a setback?

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Followup question for the above.

Did they ever make Battletech not run totally crap? My PC is just able to play it, but the lag is severe. Maybe some tips for enabling potato mode?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Don't worry too much about taking hits, it's going to happen, especially early. Once you start getting rare and expensive parts it becomes more of an issue, but by then you're also fielding much tougher mechs.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Anyone got tips for Bomber Crew?

Some missions it feels like I get attacked by 15 enemies at once and I’m not sure how to salvage the situation once that happens.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Astral Chain

• Looking at enemies with the Iris (+) shows you their health bar and it'll stay after you swap back to normal view.
  • Weapon upgrades are in the room across the hall from the training room fast travel point in the HQ.
  • Legion upgrades are in the map/system menu (-). There's also mini objectives here you need to manually claim the rewards to get and clicking the right analog stick sorts the finished ones to the top of the list.
  • Near death enemies will have a 'finish' prompt to push the A button and doing this refills your health bar.
  • The AED referenced in a couple items and legatus upgrades is the system that revives your character after death, it's essentially your extra lives.

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

moosecow333 posted:

Anyone got tips for Bomber Crew?

Some missions it feels like I get attacked by 15 enemies at once and I’m not sure how to salvage the situation once that happens.

- Conserve fuel as much as possible - Raise the landing gear as soon as you lift off to reduce drag, start using the engineer's "Lean" ability as soon as you raise the landing gear, and any time you're not in combat. In most missions, the first time "Lean" wears off, you should be crossing the English Channel, which is also an excellent time to move the engineer to his turret and also right around when you'll usually get your first radar contacts)

-Remember to buckle the pilot's seat belt, you should never move him from the pilot's seat!

-In fact, during normal conditions, try to only move the bombardier (between the nose turret and bomb sight), and the engineer (between the engineer's seat and the dorsal turret (B17)/add-on ventral turret (Lancaster).

-During combat, (while your engineer is manning a turret) the best person to put out an engine fire with the engi's extinguisher button (if you can't or don't want to emergency dive) is the navigator - his seat is right there, and he isn't doing anything super-urgent (sure, navigating, but if you're dealing with a horrible emergency with multiple injures or something, you can usually just let the plane fly along in a straight line while you try to salvage the situation.)

-Train at least one of the rear gunners' secondary ability as medic, train the others as engineers - you will generally want to address wounded crew/mechanical problems/fires in the rear half of your aircraft with one of your Gunner/engineers who is already stationed in that area, as your primary engineer is usually manning a turret with higher DPS and a better field of vision than the side gunners anyway, and since it will take the engineer forever to move the entire length of the plane (because of all the armor he's wearing, see next tip)

-Armor up! Put as much gear on your crewmen as possible to increase their armor rating, even the measly 1-point from the toughened O2 bottle. Low temperature survivability is a secondary concern. The more armor they're wearing, the more likely your tailgunner will survive that unexpected face-full of Messerschmitt bullets.

-Train your engineer and bombardier's secondary abilities as Gunner, they'll be doing that almost more often than their primary job.

-Change altitude with the high/med/low buttons when enemy aircraft are approaching to reduce the accuracy of their incoming fire

- The engineer is the best person to move between the upper turret and the engineer's seat

-All the abilities recharge, you're not wasting anything if you have your gunners pop off some incendiary, etc. The mustangs the radio officer can call take a minute or two to arrive- a good time to radio them is before you reach your primary objective.

-Ammo feeder-equipped guns are better than superior non-feeder-equipped guns. Get everyone ammo feeders ASAP so you don't have to constantly ask them to reload.

-I gave all my crew members cheeky names that helped me remember what position in the aircraft they occupy (Paul Pilotson, Roger Rightside, etc), I like to imagine this was marginally helpful at least.

-If you don't like the 3 missions being offered in the mission tent, I think you can save, exit to main screen, and reload, and it should have a different ones (although I think there's only 4 or 5 total for every "tier" of progress though the missions)

-I'm pretty sure you can grind the same missions for extra cash, as long as you don't take the next plot-advancing one (usually the high risk critical mission), you can keep doing the lower-risk ones.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Any tips for Warhammer 40k Mechanicus? I remember reading you can get pretty overpowered early on. Is that still true after all the updates?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Senjuro posted:

Any tips for Warhammer 40k Mechanicus? I remember reading you can get pretty overpowered early on. Is that still true after all the updates?
Yep. Basically, anything that gives extra AP is completely broken. The game has got a really weird difficulty curve and even after the patch once you get some flamers and aoe guns and the skills that reduce AP to fire the game slides directly into the trivial. The hardest part is skilling up and getting gear until you unlock those better weapons.

Just take a look at one of the steam guides, IMO. There isn't anything super non-obvious.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bhodi posted:

Just take a look at one of the steam guides, IMO. There isn't anything super non-obvious.
The skill tree that enhances auxiliaries is pretty much worthless; you'll only be fielding them until you get enough tech-priests.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I didn't see anything on the wiki for it; does anyone have any tips for Duskers?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I added a page for Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight with the following tips:

quote:

* All active items refresh their uses to maximum upon saving.

* If you encounter a friendly spider early in the game, don't be a jerk and kill it or you'll miss out on a merchant selling arguably the most useful passive item in the game later on.

* Defeating a major boss without taking damage during the fight (self-inflicted health loss included) will net you an extra item. Some of these bonus rewards are quite useful, but none are by any means critical. Nameless mini-bosses have no extra drops.

* The effects of active items that temporarily increase your damage do not stack. Any boosts from passive items do stack with them however.

* You'll occasionally find passages too small to fit into. Make a note of their locations as you'll be able to access them later.

* The Candor Ring alerts you not only to the presence of hidden passages, but also to any Ivory Bugs which are involved in a collection sidequest. The rewards for collecting them are handy but nothing you can't live without.

* A few items can be handed over to specific NPCs. Of particular interest is handing over the Soft Tissue to a woman who appears in the Forlorn Monastery (west of the area's first save point) late in the game as this will unlock the nearby door.

* On a similar note, don't rack your brain trying to figure out the locked ????? door in the upper Forlorn Monastery - this is the entirely optional Developers' Room which opens upon 100% map completion.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 10, 2019

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Anything for Ori and the Blind Forest? Kind of surprised there's nothing on the wiki for it.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

flatluigi posted:

Anything for Ori and the Blind Forest? Kind of surprised there's nothing on the wiki for it.

I thought there was a page as well, but it seems not. I've gone back through the thread and added the tips I found:

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Ori_and_the_Blind_Forest

I played through it recently, and apart from "Play the definitive edition", I don't think you need many tips.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I just picked up Pine on the Steam sale and was wondering if anyone had some advice.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I dunno if anyone's mentioned this yet but

Code Vein
Stuff...

e: vvv Cool, put some more stuff in the post!

I haven't played much since me and my friend are trying to wrap up Borderlands first, but there are a few things to note that aren't immediately obvious:

-Controls can be remapped in options. You can totally switch the controls around to match other Souls games. A weird quirk though: you need to remap the actions on the Right triggers somewhere else before you can map the Light and Heavy attack buttons to them. Not sure why it's like that, or if that has been patched since I last played.

-You can play it solo if you want. Louis and Yakumo are stapled on to you after the demo area, but if you talk to them in Home Base you can stop partnering with them. I'm playing co-op with a friend, and I find the AI tends to get in the way a lot when there are three people (some people may find that it makes the game too easy as well).

-Related to the above, there is a trophy/achievement related to hearing a certain amount of AI dungeon chatter, so if you care about that stuff then you might have to take at least 1 AI partner along.

-Don't buy the season pass. This is more of a suggestion. The official Japanese blog has mentioned that the season pass content that was supposed to arrive in November has been delayed and there is no time table on the content. This game was delayed by a year and had been announced back in 2017, so personally I'm a bit shifty on future content that is already getting pushed back.

-Despite what the Hot Spring implies, you can't rewatch cutscenes there. The memories option only allows you to see a picture and gives a brief summary of what happened.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 11, 2019

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

flatluigi posted:

Utility (the tree that starts with Rekindle) is the best tree by far and is incredibly handy, I dashed a few points in the really good 1-pointers in the other trees and mainline for the end of Utility.

Combat is fine and an obvious place to go afterwards, Efficiency is largely unnecessary past the first two skills.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Athaboros posted:

I didn't see anything on the wiki for it; does anyone have any tips for Duskers?

It's been a while, but the main things I can remember are:

The game's really difficult, so don't take chances. If you get a yellow signal in a room, prove whether it's safe or not another way - like opening a door to a green signal and seeing if that room changes because something has moved into it. And wait longer than you think, because some things are very slow to move when they're not wrecking your bots.

You can set custom aliases which speed up certain commands. In particular, something that tells your tow drone to go to room and tow whatever's there back to base saves a lot of typing. As is a 'gently caress it, I quit' alias for quickly returning everyone to the ship.

I believe that rooms with vents in link to other rooms with vents in, so if you're in a room that has them, don't stay there. It may be safe now, but might not be later. Better safe than sorry.

Fuel is obviously a requirement, so prioritise getting more of it whenever you can.

With that said, I never completed the game - something always goes wrong eventually and failing a mission is so punishing coming back mid-run felt nigh-on impossible.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for Devil May Cry 5 past what's on the wiki? I remember reading the default controls was bad, but not sure what it applies to - I am using an Xbox-type controller.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Some stuff for Indivisible since I just beat it last night while getting everything I could:

- Since everyone has their own quirks, it would be best to figure out what they're capable of as soon as you get them so that way you can shut down enemies as reasonably fast as possible.

- Some characters, like Dhar, perform a buff instead of an attack. In his case, it beefs up his neutral attack and up attack per action and he can hold 12. Also, buffs like this carry on between fights.

- Certain obstacles will send you back to a specific checkpoint rather than saddling you with minor damage and letting you try to salvage your progress. It's usually the cone-shaped spikes that do this.

- Getting the red upgrade materials will let you increase your defense and your attack. There's enough to max out both in the game but I wouldn't necessarily call it mandatory.

- Past a certain point in the game, your buddies will ask you for a favor. If you do it, they get a ton of levels. They range from "talk to someone in an obvious spot" to "collect some things across the game world." Note that, at least as of this writing, the ones that ask you to fight an enemy will probably be incredibly easy because I don't think they tuned them to match your level. Depending on who you ask, this can be nice or not.

- If there's a barrier or otherwise impassible obstacle/gap, you probably don't have the tools to deal with it or you need to think about how to apply them if you do.

A Bystander fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 12, 2019

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Anything for God Eater Resurrection?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
The wiki entry for Divinity: Original Sin 2 seems very comprehensive, but does the advice there apply equally to the PS4 "Definitive Edition"? Is there anything different one should keep in mind for the console version?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for Devil May Cry 5 past what's on the wiki? I remember reading the default controls was bad, but not sure what it applies to - I am using an Xbox-type controller.

You may want to change what button guns are on for Nero and V to a trigger button to make it mildly easier to hold the buttons down. That said this isnt like IV where you will be holding the button for ages and all the time, so its mostly preference and can long run if you plan to NG+ really mess you up with Nero.

Tips:

It is much harder to get high style rankings with Nero as you don't unlock two huge pieces of his kit until literally during the final boss of the game.

V has a stage where you need to fight three bosses in the order of your choosing to get back your powers. Do not pick Nightmare as the power to get back or the center enemy to fight (its the large flying boss Nero fought as his second boss of the game) until last.

The charging dash attack move V can unlock for Griffin does way more damage than you think it will or should.

As always doublejump is a must buy for all characters

Nero's MAX Act returns and is just as important to his kit as before and just as before you probably wont have the cash to upgrade or use this until NG+. No I dont get why they designed Nero this way

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 13, 2019

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Also, Nero's air taunt gives you a boost of lateral momentum making it a surprisingly effective dodge.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Kennel posted:

Anything for God Eater Resurrection?

It's been a while since I played it (Burst, not Resurrection), and even GE3 was a few months ago for me, so all I can really say is:

-Try out the base weapons first and decide on one. You don't want to spread your upgrade materials out across multiple types because they can be time consuming/luck based to get.

-I generally avoided bullets/gun altogether because I didn't find it effective. The healing bullets can be helpful though, especially if you are playing with other people.

-That being said, there are recipes online for super bullets that can deal absurd amounts of damage. They require a lot of tinkering with parts though, because the custom bullet system is really unintuitive (in my opinion anyway).

-Quick Devour is good for keeping your Burst active and is relative safe. Charge Devour is more effective, but you're locked into place for a few seconds while you charge so you run the risk of taking a hit and wasting health/Burst time.

-Manage your items. A lot of junk can pile up in your quick selection which increases the amount of time you need to spend cycling through in the middle of a fight. Just take things that you know you'll use (healing, poison healing, stuff like that). I find it also helps to group item types together, like keeping all the healing items grouped next to each other.

Other than that, the game is pretty straightforward. It's a MH clone with a plot. You just go in and wail on a big monster for a while till it dies. Eventually you'll learn the pattern of every major enemy class.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Crowetron posted:

Also, Nero's air taunt gives you a boost of lateral momentum making it a surprisingly effective dodge.

You can also Act/MAX Act off of the air taunt.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

What's so,e stuff for No Man's Sky? There wasn't a page for it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

juliuspringle posted:

What's so,e stuff for No Man's Sky? There wasn't a page for it.
I could have sworn there used to be, or maybe I took tips from the thread direct. From what I remember:

It's easiest to follow the missions, at least at first. There's a base-based mission set that gradually has you craft and fill all the different base components as well as do some farming. There's two branches of exploration style missions.

"Number of slots" is pretty much king in terms of your multi-tool and your ship. Inventory space is at a premium and is what you'll use the most so consider that before trading up to a ship that has more plusses but less inventory. Last time I played, ship combat ranged from bad to awful, I just avoided it when I could so I didn't care about weaponry. Maybe it's better? You'll want to upgrade Fuel efficiency since warp fuel is the most annoying thing to get.

Keep an eye on market prices! By mid game, it will be faster to just buy stuff that's annoying or has multiple steps to craft (looking at you, warp fuel).

You get a free freighter ship after a bit. It costs warp fuel to travel inside it, but it can be 'summoned' to you for free so it's most economical to warp in your ship and then summon it. It's an OK mobile base, but it's just as easy to portal around. Be warned, if you upgrade your freighter you lose everything inside it as the configuration resets! If you want to game the system to get a good one, You get the freighter after 3hrs of continuous play and 5 system jumps. If you save with a portable save point on a planet in each system prior to the last jump, you can reload and and try again until you get a good one. The richer the system the better chance for a S class freigther

You can have an unlimited number of bases and you quickly get magic portals that can link them. Since you can summon your ship to you at any time, this is effectively fast travel to different planets/systems with valuable resources. Where you are in the galaxy doesn't really matter, except to remember the 'furthest' you've been and continue there, otherwise you'll have to rediscover where to go. I recommend you pick a neat looking planet for your "main" base and keep satellite bases for resources you need to gather. If you dig multiplayer interaction and want to check out / show off bases, check out building a base on one of the Galactic Hub planets.

When you are landing on a planet, first thing to do is hop out and do a scan. This "spawns" points of interests nearby; if you are looking for something specific (blueprints) you can search for that specific thing, then once you finish the base, you can scan again and chain them together. Don't forget to pick your scanner back up!

If you want the 24-slot multtool, an exotic ship, or good freighter of A or S type, you can check out the wiki but you basically go to a system and use the same method as the spoiler text until you're happy. It's fastest to check reddit, get the coords to your chosen system and use them to travel there (find a stargate portal) and get it. If you find something to share with the world, use this to get the coords: https://nmsportals.github.io/ (mostly unnecessary now as screenshots embed portal coords with the beyond update)

Note: game is notoriously buggy. Not quite bethesda buggy but still, quests break or triggers don't trigger. Don't get discouraged! There's a lot to do and it's very open and fairly unguided, and many feel the ending of the quests is a let-down so don't let that drive you. This game's more about the journey than the destination and is kinda for chilling - when/if you get bored just put it down because there isn't anything at the end that will make the effort "worth it".

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 13, 2019

Zushio
May 8, 2008
When did the . apear in front of all the entries on the wiki? For awhile there was a whole bunch of stuff at the top of each letter entry that was not sorted correctly because of it.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

PMush Perfect posted:

In Battletech, how worried should I be about losing parts early on? Seems like I'm on a shoestring budget, and I replayed the post-timeskip mission a couple times because I keep getting torso bits melee'd off. Should I be more careful about not getting hit in melee, or less concerned with restarting every time there's a setback?

Fair warning that I kinda hated Battletech after the initial excitement wore off. It ran so bad it destroyed a graphics card on me.

Don't feel bad the economy, in terms of everything from build times to money, doesn't make sense. You're going to have to develop a feel for how it works. TLDR there's a Big Upgrade in first few missions that makes the game way more livable so push forward with story missions when you can.

Anybody you have in a light mech stands a chance of being RNG'd in any battle. Hopefully you feel :xcom: when you read that. You only really need to worry once you look at the repair times. If you do the minimum repairs to get back to battle ready and the build queue goes for 120 days (because you don't have spare mechs and whatever) yeah you got hosed. Or like, you have 4 pilots who are all crippled in the med bay forever and you're having to scrape to get anybody hired. If you can get back to 4 operational mechs in 20 days, with one mech needing forever to patch up, that's frustratingly normal. Mods exist to customize the pain to your liking.

Optimization: LOLNO. Harebrained schemes are bad at making games. It only worked for Shadowrun because those games are close to sprites on a matte painting. They do keep patching the game, so maybe it's better for you today, but the game is always going to run like rear end because they are bad developers.

If the game runs "well enough" for you you largely don't notice the massive framerate drops, congrats and have fun.

Make sure you look up tips on how to eliminate the long pause times caused by the horrible way they coded dialog and animations. It will help your overall playtime a LOT if you plan to play this game for any length of time. They did some patches for this as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Battletech is very clearly based off of a bunch of wargame rules from the original 1980s game. The 1980s were a dark time for minis games. The rules hate you. The game hates you. You really need a love of giant robots and dice-based combat to stomach a lot of Battletech, more so than with Shadowrun Returns or similar.

I haven't beaten it yet but I am pretty sure it's very possible/easy to death spiral with repair costs and lost pilots early on. It doesn't seem like the economy ever gets much better, either. Maybe I'm just really, really bad at it, though.