Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

h3isenbug
Jun 5, 2016

Right Meow!
Sandis good relations to that "Cytech" company might come in handy soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Someone just linked this on reddit, which seems to be a good summary (slightly :nms: and NWS because of creepy text content): https://www.reddit.com/r/StarCitizenDebate/comments/6rt1ue/star_citizen_community_manager_ben_lesnik/

Basically he had an old blog with a ton of racism, pedophilia, and weirdass stalking of a female news anchor.

:stonk:

Also :lol: that shapcap is there in the comments claiming "fake news"

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

h3isenbug posted:

Sandis good relations to that "Cytech" company might come in handy soon

I think she was referring to Saitek, purveyors of fidelity next-generation peripherals.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Thom12255 posted:

He also had a secret blog where he said some vile poo poo - I can't really remember the particulars of it but it was outrageous to most of the community - and he was shuffled away from the public face of the company after it.

If I remember this right (and feel free to provide proof to the contrary), he linked that blog via twitter thinking it was no big deal, only to reveal it containing his obsessive pictures of a TV news anchor, his edgy jokes and other stuff. For me, though, it was far moreso seeing that his community moderation skills (ostensibly his job at CIG, though as Bootcha correctly pointed out it was, in fact, driving marketing for nerds like him, by a nerd like him) extended all the way back to the Wing Commander fan site days, where he exhibited every bit of obsessive jealousy that Sandi would later on.

A lot of people give him a pass because of him being overweight, but it's why I maintain that Chris and Sandi couldn't have asked for a better (unwitting though he may have been, due to believing his own BS) partner in crime. And it's poo poo I've had to deal with time and time again in other fandoms, where everyone wants to just play pretend nerd fantasy with each other and then there's this one overachiever ubernerd that grabs the power and takes the spotlight + credit.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 1, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Golli posted:

I think she was referring to Saitek, purveyors of fidelity next-generation peripherals.

Cytech sounds suspiciously like Saitek + Crytek...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

CrazyLoon posted:

If I remember this right (and feel free to provide proof to the contrary), he linked that blog via twitter thinking it was no big deal, only to reveal it containing his obsessive pictures of a TV news anchor, his edgy jokes and other stuff. For me, though, it was far moreso seeing that his community moderation skills (ostensibly his job at CIG, though as Bootcha correctly pointed out it was, in fact, driving marketing for nerds like him, by a nerd like him) extended all the way back to the Wing Commander fan site days, where he exhibited every bit of obsessive jealousy that Sandi would later on. A lot of people give him a pass because of him being overweight, but it's why I maintain that Chris and Sandi couldn't have asked for a better (unwitting though he may have been, due to believing his own BS) partner in crime.

I'm not sure if he linked it before or after goons started posting about it but I do know he got on twitter and described it as "still funny" and gave a halfassed excuse thaat he and his friends were trying to be like Something Awful when they made it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

There was also the attempt at an excuse along the lines of “I was just a dumb teen” — a period in his life that apparently stretched into his late 20s.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Tippis posted:

There was also the attempt at an excuse along the lines of “I was just a dumb teen” — a period in his life that apparently stretched into his late 20s.

...and included him working at a school while making 'ironic' pedo jokes. The creme de la creme of being like Something Awful, I guess.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

:stonk:

Also :lol: that shapcap is there in the comments claiming "fake news"

Thom just posted this thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772600 which is an even better summary and even more :nms:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Sandi's acting 'career' is pretty sad to even hear about, wonder what she'd be doing without the SC whales.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I honestly have renewed appreciation for Lesnick after watching the video.

I mean the project is still a scam and the actual game has been primarily the "gamified" transactions, but at least if he got credit for a while and also a good paycheck he probably deserved for the work and hours he put it -- and so did the others who were eventually phased out.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

AbstractNapper posted:

I honestly have renewed appreciation for Lesnick after watching the video.

I mean the project is still a scam and the actual game has been primarily the "gamified" transactions, but at least if he got credit for a while and also a good paycheck he probably deserved for the work and hours he put it -- and so did the others who were eventually phased out.

I wonder if Ben also has deep frustrations about development after all these years and if he ever doubts his Chris God. The game is marketed primarily to him and those like him and he's gotta be let down in some way.

h3isenbug
Jun 5, 2016

Right Meow!

Golli posted:

Ah, they had announced a Star Citizen HOTAS back in 2015, so you are probably right. Didn't know that. Since it never got released maybe they should have crowdfunded it.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Ok, so what's the full story on what happened to Ben? It's a little before my time.

I don't think I ever saw the picture of him when he was thin, it made me sad to see how poorly he's taking care of himself now. Basically a slow suicide. Wish there was someone in his life to give him an intervention about it.

Even with maximum zoom out he couldn't fit in the screen anymore so they removed him.

Zzr fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 1, 2019

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Thom12255 posted:

I wonder if Ben also has deep frustrations about development after all these years and if he ever doubts his Chris God. The game is marketed primarily to him and those like him and he's gotta be let down in some way.

I put on his Wing Commander/Privateer streams on the second monitor sometimes. He generally never mentions anything about SC/CIG, although he did once say he couldn't comment on CIG marketing.

IMHO, he still believes in Lord Roberts and AFAIK he still gets paid by CIG.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Thom12255 posted:

I didn't know Ben was behind the original ships - he single-handily made this all possible lol.

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/1151273965882445824

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Thom12255 posted:

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/1137890175005143051

(Ok I'll stop with dumb tweets now)

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Unironically, I would see Todd Howard hiring Ben Lesnick for a marketing position (not community in any way) as a legit logical move.

It's a shame, tho, that his expertise only applies to things he fanboys about and I don't think he's hardcore enough about Fallout to save it from the misery that 76 brought about.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

CrazyLoon posted:

Unironically, I would see Todd Howard hiring Ben Lesnick for a marketing position (not community in any way) as a legit logical move.

It's a shame, tho, that his expertise only applies to things he fanboys about and I don't think he's hardcore enough about Fallout to save it from the misery that 76 brought about.

I don't think G0rf would hire him.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
Bootcha just converted fandred:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...utm_name=iossmf

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
What exactly was it that pushed Bootcha from a committed investor to making it his mission to exposing CIG?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

He peeked behind the curtain.

And also is not a loving moron.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Thom12255 posted:

What exactly was it that pushed Bootcha from a committed investor to making it his mission to exposing CIG?

Remember when the white knights said that the reason goons left was because they were butthurt Chris wasn't making the game that goons wanted? They were right. It's just that the game that goons wanted was a game that could actually work. Chris the code whisperer disagreed. And here we are.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Thom12255 posted:

The Imp Zone.

Not kidding.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
:golfclap: Let's see what's the reaction to this.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

rePool posted:

I keep hearing about this and I watched the con yet missed that? I saw people mocking her on Spectrum about it and I tried looking but I couldn't find it.
Not that I care about her crying, but I wanted to understand why she was or the context of what lead up to it.

Derek tweets.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

drat, never thought I'd see the day.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dooguk posted:

Mr and Mrs Roberts are going to ride off into the sunset, wealthy and laughing their heads off.

Nah, they will ride off wealthy (not that it'll last), but they are both ego people, so they won't laugh, the failure will hurt.

The big winner is gonna be Ortwin.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Thom12255 posted:

He also had a secret blog where he said some vile poo poo - I can't really remember the particulars of it but it was outrageous to most of the community - and he was shuffled away from the public face of the company after it.

It was not a secret blog. It was fully searchable collection of what he thought were his best/funniest comments. He wanted other people to see that poo poo.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Hang on in thought Ben finally got the boot because he was selling ships on the grey market which he could acquire for free...

I thought CIG in there "wisdom" looked past the creepy blog...

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

DigitalPenny posted:

Hang on in thought Ben finally got the boot because he was selling ships on the grey market which he could acquire for free...

I thought CIG in there "wisdom" looked past the creepy blog...

September 2019's Jump Point

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
I was watching the first half at work and missed "I wrote an entire blog post about that actually" part somehow.

AAAHHHAhahahahaAHAHAHAHahaha :vince:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

From YT comments:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

sentrybot seems unclear on the actual meaning of troll, or at least immune to the hypocrisy

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Beluga Snail posted:

drat, never thought I'd see the day.

Is that Fandred? Very civil and polite, that's quite a change of pace.

Good to see some friendly things happening amongst the various nerd factions, bridges are being built, the wall is being pulled down as fast as the veil on CI¬g's dodgy stuff is lifted.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
Sitting down with a nice IPA, enjoying a fantastic Bootcha video.
Wow, that was a lot of work, my friend!
Excellent. Just excellent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Well, I read the comments on the reddit thread and came to the conclusion that calling her "the lady Macbeth" was just too subtle.

Dogeh posted:

Sitting down with a nice IPA, enjoying a fantastic Bootcha video.
Wow, that was a lot of work, my friend!
Excellent. Just excellent!

This, but Tang instead of IPA.