Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Maybe I should listen to Lords of Limited. I have been on the Limited Resources train and I like LSV but Marshall... eh

How do you not like Marshall? He's like the most easy going least offensive person. I find LSV to be much more obnoxious but you can still listen because you can't deny he's extremely knowledgeable. The Lords of Limited guys are fine but they are just your run of the mill above average magic nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I extra hated Faerie Vandal with my deck because the white pacificism equivalent in this set only works on ground creatures so stopping that thing after it gets a couple of counters on it gets real hairy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thanks, I think I might be set for card draw and 1/1s...

Need to make some final cuts and I think in this deck it might be Syr Faren lol

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

axeil posted:

Just an incredible match. It's a shame that Traditional Draft is so expensive because I think bo3 is much more interesting than bo1.

It feels so good to go all the way, though. Packs and profit!

Plus the matches take much longer, presumably 'cause people actually take things seriously (especially after game one), which while occasionally frustrating does mean you get more "entertainment" per dollar out of them.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kanfy posted:

I extra hated Faerie Vandal with my deck because the white pacificism equivalent in this set only works on ground creatures so stopping that thing after it gets a couple of counters on it gets real hairy.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. I just got shithoused out of a limited draft yesterday from the Vandals when I was running white mostly because I couldn't trap in the tower them. Happened again today. Combine that with some really solid fliers in blue and a lack for everyone else and it looks like it's a strong as gently caress archetype.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Siggy is also having an uh, game on his stream. It's been like 25 minutes of just game one.

Who would win, infinite broomsticks or two angry Raven bois setting off a nuclear explosion should they ever attack

E: It was 37 brooms in the end but the birds won, and I'm starting to feel like that card is legitimately problematic in multiples. Not necessarily for their strength but purely because they can so easily grind the game to a complete standstill.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 1, 2019

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
For quests in this game, can I just directly challenge a friend and still earn credit towards completing quests, or is it like Hearthstone where they only give you credit if you play against random people?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

For quests in this game, can I just directly challenge a friend and still earn credit towards completing quests, or is it like Hearthstone where they only give you credit if you play against random people?

Hearthstone actually lets you get credit vs friends now. You can even let your friends play one of your decks in direct challenge games. Supposedly that feature is coming to magic, probably after friend lists.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Gotta play vs randos I'm afraid.

I got no credit in my 30 black spells quest for trying my Golgari Knights deck against a friend last night.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

axeil posted:

I had an amazing Traditional draft last night against someone who got Revenge of Ravens on the board. We were tied 1-1, I had won Game 1 by just out valuing their cards, they won Game 2 by out aggro-ing me.

In Game 3 we got into a bit of a board stall where they had Revenge of Ravens on the board (making it impossible for me to attack), and they had that catapult that pings for 1. My life was slowly going down but I had 2 copies of that 1 mana blue adventure that lets you put 4 cards from the library in the graveyard. I was down to 1 life and managed to use a glass tomb to turn off the catapult and then played the blue discard spell, putting my opponent at 3 cards.

They manage to top deck another copy of the catapult and played it, meaning I would lose come their next turn. But I manage to top deck my other discard 4 spell, cast it and won during my opponent's upkeep.

Just an incredible match. It's a shame that Traditional Draft is so expensive because I think bo3 is much more interesting than bo1.

wait why didn't they just ping you for 1 during their upkeep but before their draw step?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Kanfy posted:

Siggy is also having an uh, game on his stream. It's been like 25 minutes of just game one.

Who would win, infinite broomsticks or two angry Raven bois setting off a nuclear explosion should they ever attack

E: It was 37 brooms in the end but the birds won, and I'm starting to feel like that card is legitimately problematic in multiples. Not necessarily for their strength but purely because they can so easily grind the game to a complete standstill.

Yeah I'm growing skeptical of the limited card eval that has the Ravens as a lower end card. If you want to run a control limited deck they're absolutely incredible, especially if you can get multiples on the board. However it does make it so you need an alternate win condition (ideally milling your opponent) as you likely won't want to or be able to attack without losing your board advantage.

A big flaming stink posted:

wait why didn't they just ping you for 1 during their upkeep but before their draw step?

Probably because they forgot to turn on full control to do so. I think the game normally does upkeep/untap/draw all at once.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

axeil posted:

Probably because they forgot to turn on full control to do so. I think the game normally does upkeep/untap/draw all at once.
Yeah for fun think back to the number of times you saw someone upkeep out burn spells with Experimental Frenzy

The game really does not teach that stuff at all

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah for fun think back to the number of times you saw someone upkeep out burn spells with Experimental Frenzy

The game really does not teach that stuff at all

i wish you could set custom triggers like modo lets you do :sigh:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

axeil posted:

Yeah I'm growing skeptical of the limited card eval that has the Ravens as a lower end card. If you want to run a control limited deck they're absolutely incredible, especially if you can get multiples on the board. However it does make it so you need an alternate win condition (ideally milling your opponent) as you likely won't want to or be able to attack without losing your board advantage.

Yeah, LSV changed his rating for it from 1.5 to 3.5 and Deathsie from a D to an A. Again I think it's only a real problem in multiples and they are thankfully uncommon but bots are also letting them by real loosely at the moment.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Played Golos against a Fires + Fae of Wishes deck in BO3 today and that deck was doing some pretty broken things with that combo. I ended up winning the match, but only because my opponent's time ran out. He had Nicol Bolas + Ugin + Oko + Chandra-6 on board and pretty much had me locked up.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Fires having a good matchup into golos will be a really big deal. Golos doesnt have a ton of bad matchups otherwise afaict.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

No Wave posted:

Fires having a good matchup into golos will be a really big deal. Golos doesnt have a ton of bad matchups otherwise afaict.

Golos dies pretty hard to aggro in my opinion. I have much better success in BO3 vs BO1, due to 1) less aggro matchups and 2) No opening hand smoothing.

Edit: Additional Golos chat: Deck does not really need all 4-ofs in my opinion. I took out a Once Upon A Time, Realm-Cloaked Giant, and Krasis and replaced them with 2 Agent of Treachery + 1 Planar Cleansing. Treachery should definitely be mainboard in this current meta IMO, since Planeswalkers are still hard to deal with and this also makes Golos activations better. Also very useful in the mirror to take your opponent's Fields.

qbert fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 1, 2019

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, LSV changed his rating for it from 1.5 to 3.5 and Deathsie from a D to an A. Again I think it's only a real problem in multiples and they are thankfully uncommon but bots are also letting them by real loosely at the moment.

I would love it if WOTC made Traditional Draft a human draft and leave the bots for Ranked. The game really becomes "exploit the bots" after a while and it's not nearly as interesting as doing it with humans. There's next to no color signaling for one.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Draft is more interesting immediately after a rotation, before everyone is playing the same few decks.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol I just lost a match to the mill deck is this real

I should have boarded in 40 lands or some poo poo for game 3

I'm gonna go 1-2 in this Trad Draft most likely ugh

EDIT gently caress HOW DOES THIS PIECE OF poo poo OPP HAVE 3 OUTFLANKS IN HAND

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 1, 2019

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
There is nothing better than playing a ceratops against simic flash and watching them suffer. gently caress that deck.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

axeil posted:

I would love it if WOTC made Traditional Draft a human draft and leave the bots for Ranked. The game really becomes "exploit the bots" after a while and it's not nearly as interesting as doing it with humans. There's next to no color signaling for one.

Did Wizards confirm whether they are working on this or not? I wouldn't hold your hopes out, the minute they put pod drafting on Arena MTGO is basically dead, as not only will no-one draft there apart from a few cube sickos (and there is talk of adding cube to Arena anyway) new cards will become absurdly expensive since no-one will be opening them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Magic Underwear posted:

There is nothing better than playing a ceratops against simic flash and watching them suffer. gently caress that deck.

I beat a Simic flash yesterday with my homebrew Golem deck.

He conceded after my unblockable Gingerbrute used three Heartpiercer bows to wipe away his Spectral Sailors (the Brineborne got blown up by a Vial of Dragonfire). Very satisfying.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Love paying 1500 gems for two packs

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Revenge of Ravens just seems like this format's Ill-Gotten Inheritance, with the added benefit of shutting down some decks even at one copy.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The "P2P1" dilemma. Do I ditch green to play serpent? I am trying to be disciplined and not go three colors especially in this set

you have 2 good green cards, it's time to bail into dimir

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I've been using draftsim to practice drafting without burning gems.

https://draftsim.com/draft.php?mode=Draft_ELD

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

After getting maimed and mutilated by a mill deck I got completely run over by BW outflanking all my creatures and then bashing me in the air with 3/3 fliers, what was that about "this set doesn't have strong fliers so your 1/1s will be great"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I still can't believe I got nuked by Folio of Fancies, mill 11 over two turns

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Help!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Wave/Zyla, y'all are just running that MPL list?

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

zoux posted:

No Wave/Zyla, y'all are just running that MPL list?

yep

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The MD is all over the place with 2 and 1-ofs, I guess it's casting a wide net and then nailing it down postboard.

This one I mean from league, I was mistaken about there being a list in the MPL

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

zoux posted:

The MD is all over the place with 2 and 1-ofs, I guess it's casting a wide net and then nailing it down postboard.

This one I mean from league, I was mistaken about there being a list in the MPL

yep thats the one

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Spiderdrake posted:

The game really does not teach stuff at all

'fun' with crafting evaluation; leading high tier here is both yarok field and simic flash, leaving me stuff leftover perhaps even for a mono black list

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 2, 2019

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Magic Underwear posted:

There's a lot of decks I hate playing against because they're annoying, like Grixis or Feather, but god drat are counter spell slammers the worst dregs of the game. It gets extra annoying when Simic Flash players don't play things on their turn like a turn 1 opt that they could easily play but instead choose to wait for my turn just to rub it in a bit more that I'm not going to have any fun winning or losing this match.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

Doltos posted:

There's a lot of decks I hate playing against because they're annoying, like Grixis or Feather, but god drat are counter spell slammers the worst dregs of the game. It gets extra annoying when Simic Flash players don't play things on their turn like a turn 1 opt that they could easily play but instead choose to wait for my turn just to rub it in a bit more that I'm not going to have any fun winning or losing this match.

what you do changes how i scry, waiting until eot is the correct play

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Foulmire Knight seems reasonable.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Foulmire Knight seems reasonable.

yea it's the most powerful card in the pack aside from covetous urge, but urge has too restrictive of a casting cost to take when you have too solid red cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Doltos posted:

they're waiting to see what deck you're playing before they decide to scry to the top or bottom