Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

while ianal i am p sure this is not something that exists.

china gives zero fucks about your patents

Idk but all I know is that there aren't any competitors doing the same thing and I'm pretty sure it's not because they don't know how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

The Management posted:

the time to attack this is immediately. if you’re a central person in the value of this merger, the company is most vulnerable now and they need stability to close the merger smoothly. they may also be asking you to sign a new employment contract with the new company. there is no way you’ll get anything out of a bigger company after a merger.

walk into your boss’s office Monday morning first thing. tell them emphatically that you’ve been doing work at this level, that you expect to be recognized (both title and salary) at this level before the merger so you can go into the new company at this level, and that you will not be joining the merged company if this doesn’t happen.

to your advantage is the fact that your bosses need to make the merger go through and they don’t care that much about promising you money that another company will pay in the future. of course this is a hardball play. you need to turn this into a crisis and make it their problem to solve it.

I appreciate it. My finances are good and the alternative (to continue working same title and pay) is unacceptable, given the multitude of options that exist. So I think I'll just press this issue. Diplomatically of course.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kudaros posted:

I appreciate it. My finances are good and the alternative (to continue working same title and pay) is unacceptable, given the multitude of options that exist. So I think I'll just press this issue. Diplomatically of course.

if you're ready to walk, you have nothing to lose

get paid

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Kudaros posted:

remember this is hardball. make your boss work for you, make it their job to convince their bosses that they want to approve this. you can be diplomatic, but don’t give them any thought that you will accept less. they may try to counter. if it’s not what you want, reject it quickly.

of course there’s the obvious warning. hardball can end in tears. but since you seem confident that you deserve this, that you don’t want to continue as is, and that you have other options, I’d say push it.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Munkeymon posted:

so it's like 3rd best then?

yeah it's got a decent search engine and it covers everything, just make sure you click on either the name of the company or one of the recognizable job board names to avoid the bullshit that signs you up for a million mailing lists

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lmfao

so an advantage of being with an extremely niche yet in demand tech is that you can start to gauge individual roles based on the recruiters hitting you up. in the past 5 days i've had 4 different recruiters all hit me up for the same role in the same city for the same customer and i've been able to play hard ball with all of them to *really* see how far this client is willing to go. lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rex-Goliath posted:

lmfao

so an advantage of being with an extremely niche yet in demand tech is that you can start to gauge individual roles based on the recruiters hitting you up. in the past 5 days i've had 4 different recruiters all hit me up for the same role in the same city for the same customer and i've been able to play hard ball with all of them to *really* see how far this client is willing to go. lol

external recruiters don't know that much to start with, do they?

i suspect you are really just probing the recruiter's guesswork

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

external recruiters don't know that much to start with, do they?

i suspect you are really just probing the recruiter's guesswork

pretty much, yeah. still gives me a much more accurate picture than you’d normally expect.

all of them finally gave up a number way below what it’d take me to switch so i know that role is a dead end

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Rex-Goliath posted:

pretty much, yeah. still gives me a much more accurate picture than you’d normally expect.

all of them finally gave up a number way below what it’d take me to switch so i know that role is a dead end

external recruiters don’t know anything about numbers either. you could be the god of whatever exact role they’re looking for and if you don’t match the range they have written in front of them there’s absolutely nothing they can do. no third party recruiter in history has ever gone to the hiring party and said “I know you asked for this range, but I’ve got this dude who is really worth more, you should really consider him”

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Nobody actually knows about numbers until they are ready to give you an offer

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qhat posted:

not completely true though. at a large enough company the manager knows what band he’s allowed to hire at.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah each recruiter i tried to avoid talking salary but they forced the issue so i pushed back and made them say a number. each time i said it wasn’t enough but if the client was willing to negotiate that we could move forwards. all of them cut off after that so i’m guessing that number is a very hard cap

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

qhat posted:

At smaller companies, yeah, at bigger ones, they slot every position into a salary band that is kinda tough to go outside of

E:fb

JawnV6 posted:

christ, do you wanna just trust the story or do you have to come protect your ego from not lucking out?

it wasn't honeywell, but if we're holding up honey loving well as a best-practices company, shutting down both companies for a week to put a stupid wall through the whole building so they could not 'be' resideo doesn't sound very best practices to me??

Its not a jealousy thing its more of a "probably didnt happen that way" thing.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 1, 2019

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

At smaller companies, yeah, at bigger ones, they slot every position into a salary band that is kinda tough to go outside of

at bigger companies, they'll just change the job level so there's a new salary band

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

not completely true though. at a large enough company the manager knows what band he’s allowed to hire at.

....with minimum effort.

if he gets a great candidate he can go to his boss

everything is negotiable

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i got a recruiter hitting me up for a role i left 6 years ago, the company went from a billion-dollar valuation to being worth "less than one of their accelerator companies"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Its not a jealousy thing its more of a "probably didnt happen that way" thing.
did you know about honeywell's split-off venture into the IoT world before assuming their meritocratic skills? is it possible there's an acquiring company that stuffed a former "it director" into a cushy middle management role that would otherwise been difficult for this individual to find a path into?

titles matter, despite the incoherence on display here

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JawnV6 posted:

titles matter, despite the incoherence on display here

titles are important for marketing but it is almost never worth fighting your employer over a title change unless your responsibilities are changing, or have already changed

like if you are managing a team you probably want a title that reflects that, instead of "systems analyst iii," because it will be easier to apply to future management jobs with a management-soundin' title.

but if you are a systems analyst iii, fighting for "senior systems analyst" will not help you market yourself, and won't make you a single extra dime

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

titles are important for marketing but it is almost never worth fighting your employer over a title change unless your responsibilities are changing, or have already changed

like if you are managing a team you probably want a title that reflects that, instead of "systems analyst iii," because it will be easier to apply to future management jobs with a management-soundin' title.

but if you are a systems analyst iii, fighting for "senior systems analyst" will not help you market yourself, and won't make you a single extra dime

In my case it was that they saw my resume for a job posting I was clearly over qualified for, and said "what if we did this instead". I didn't negotiate any further because I wasn't in the position to. My postdoc funding fell through and I was otherwise unprepared post-phd. So my job title and description are wildly off the mark.

Description: I dunno, some ad-hoc sql queries to support whatever initiatives we have. Advanced excel skills a must (actually in the posting).

Reality: I'm the initiator conceiving of fancy algorithms and putting them into production, while developing beautiful visualizations and arguing my case to executives. I have no knowledge of excel. Metrics are on track with my estimations of ~2mil in savings over an 18 month period. Big deal for the size of the company (prior to acquisition).

I still think that its just easier to negotiate with a new job. My boss brought up the title change the first week I was there. Having now pressed him on it twice (lightly) and seen the months go by... yeah.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
a recruiter has been pestering me for a few weeks now so yesterday I decided to do the thing where I call him out of not actually having the total comp anywhere close to what my current company pays, and gave him a range to look at. he gets back to me with

quote:

Thanks for sending this over, I've run it by our Head of Software Recruiting, and from a total comp perspective we can pay competitively in that range.

I guess I gotta loving talk to him now. owned.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

at least it's a distant shot at more figgies?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

at bigger companies, they'll just change the job level so there's a new salary band

Yeah this. At big companies if they are hiring for "Software Development Engineer", they could hire you anywhere between I and III depending on what they think of you in the interview. Even if it explicitly says a grade, I guarantee there's always wiggle room or even a more senior job in another team if you're a really great candidate.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Ciaphas posted:

at least it's a distant shot at more figgies?

it’s a shot at a non-insane work environment, which is nice. but realistically these guys aren’t it, I just painted myself into a corner by attempting to crush this dude with a big hammer and getting blocked

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"So, tell us how you came to apply to WhatCo!"

uh maybe it had something to do your job listing that was posted on a site with a dozen other job listings I applied to

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gazpacho posted:

"So, tell us how you came to apply to WhatCo!"

uh maybe it had something to do your job listing that was posted on a site with a dozen other job listings I applied to

Yeah you're supposed to bullshit about the stuff on the company's About Us webpage

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

literally every job you have to be able to bullshit from time to time if you can’t give some platitude on a softball interview q it’s rightly a red flag

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I'm a computer toucher, not a poet

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

no one asked you to phrase your bullshit in iambic pentameter

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gazpacho posted:

"Because I love touching computers in these three ways this job entails" there done

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol if you cant even pass the most basic test of your ability to function in a corporate environment and follow the unwritten laws of corporate behavior

if you think youre too good to answer the question "so what interested you about this position at xyz corporation?" with anything other than "because i have fuckin' bills to pay" then you are almost certainly going to be a bigger pain in the rear end to your bosses and coworkers and clients than someone who gives the expected answer that every job hunting guide and website suggests

its a simple filtering question to determine if you are an rear end in a top hat who cant even pretend for 30 seconds to play along with some easy-mode corporate nonsense

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Today I had to tell our internal recruiter that if a candidate's resume has basic spelling and grammatical errors; I don't want to see it.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I'm not going to say I have bills to pay but neither am I going to spout something out of their future S-1 filing about promoting global harmony and human potential, we saw last month where that leads

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 3, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

unless I get blocked hard in context ("why do you want to work at Company" rather than "why did you apply for this job" or similar) I always tried to spin that question towards "I applied because I'm a fit and here's why"

if they want to hear the corporate rah-rah and I sense that in time, I'll give it to em, but it feels less bootlick-y to promote myself as a candidate instead :shrug:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol gazpacho you dumb useless poo poo

the fact that youre melting down over a very simple anodyne question tells me, a hiring manager, everything i need to know about you and what kind of employee you will be

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I find the "What makes you a good fit here?" question easy because I already answered it on my cover letter.

ratbert90 posted:

Today I had to tell our internal recruiter that if a candidate's resume has basic spelling and grammatical errors; I don't want to see it.

:ironicat:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

FMguru posted:

its a simple filtering question to determine if you are an rear end in a top hat who cant even pretend for 30 seconds to play along with some easy-mode corporate nonsense
oh huh is that an issue with this poster

Gazpacho posted:

one time a manager called me from Salesforce and started out the interview by directing me to the Salesforce site that his group developed. For use by sales reps, of course. I don't even remember if it was Ajax-enabled. He walked me through a user flow and then:

manager: does this interest you?
me: :confused: I have a sense of what's happening technically.
manager: but does it interest you?
me: no
manager: then this is probably not the right job for you.

fake edit: lmaoooooo

Gazpacho posted:

I'm not going to say I have bills to pay but neither am I going to spout something out of their future S-1 filing about promoting global harmony and human potential, we saw last month where that leads
yeah, if you wag the dog for a 30s blurb to entertain a recruiter hunting for IC positions, it will inevitably lead to you being yet another billionaire Adam loving Neumann fleecing swaths of investment bankers

totally reasonable threat model for your principles right here, i advise you to continue this hardline stance

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I like when you've put in multiple applications for the same company and have to figure out which one exactly you're being interviewed for in the first five minutes of the screen

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

lol gazpacho you dumb useless poo poo

the fact that youre melting down over a very simple anodyne question tells me, a hiring manager, everything i need to know about you and what kind of employee you will be
I'm not melting down. I'm staring into the abyss of a likely end of a career, with half a dozen other professional strikes that don't have to do with being able to bullshit to complete strangers about their employers and no network that enables me to say that Joe in Platform sent me. but that's the way it is. I'm probably doomed and it's ok, because I recognize my sins and my errors and it's not my world, it's yours

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
though seeing people i worked with who had less technical creds and to some extent dragged me into errors with them, then go off and find new jobs... that does sting

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

I'm not melting down. I'm staring into the abyss of a likely end of a career, with half a dozen other professional strikes that don't have to do with being able to bullshit to complete strangers about their employers and no network that enables me to say that Joe in Platform sent me. but that's the way it is. I'm probably doomed and it's ok, because I recognize my sins and my errors and it's not my world, it's yours

or you could read a couple books and change your attitude/behavior

you know, the option that doesn't lead to doom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

or you could read a couple books and change your attitude/behavior

you know, the option that doesn't lead to doom

nbsd was... right???

my dude, your career is not over. read a book or two about how to be a human being that other human beings like interacting with, maybe pay someone to edit your resume, there are a lot of people who suck way worse than you who get paid way too much money to touch computers

e: also, get a therapist if you don't already have one. you sound like you might be somewhat depressed