Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Oh poo poo, the remaining Houston Alamo is showing Tammy and the T-Rex?

I've gotta get in on this, it's a bit of a drive but that's worth it

Nothing is worth that drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Eureka is having a sale on silent cinema titles:

https://eurekavideo.co.uk/promotions/silent-sale/

Includes Intolerance, Nosferatu, Metropolis, and a bunch of great ones. I got Intolerance and Sunrise, and I'm thinking I might get the Masters of Cinema Passion of Joan of Arc, unless the Criterion has a massive jump in quality.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Origami Dali posted:

It's not that far, I'm in the metro area but in a different suburb about ~45ish minutes away from the one with the Alamo

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Origami Dali posted:

Look who hasn't seen Tammy and the T-Rex.

Side note: I like to believe that someone at Vinegar Syndrome is a goon because I just kept yelling about them releasing that for over a year or maybe even two and then it happened. Thank you, Vinegar Syndrome Goon.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Arrow has The Exorcist III and The Wolf of Wall Street, plus they're releasing their 4K remaster of Heathers next year in the US.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

Look who hasn't seen Tammy and the T-Rex.

Side note: I like to believe that someone at Vinegar Syndrome is a goon because I just kept yelling about them releasing that for over a year or maybe even two and then it happened. Thank you, Vinegar Syndrome Goon.

There's no loving way there wasn't at least one goon involved in this yeah

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Does that make me a social media influencer?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

There's at least one good involved in everything

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Vinegar Syndrome is doing a pop-up at my local record store later today, I'm gonna stop by and probably get a couple titles. What do you all recommend from them?

I already have:
Christmas Evil
Night Train to Terror
Deathrow Gameshow
Jack Frost
Mausoleum
Def by Temptation
Count Dracula's Great Love

Taking Tiger Mountain looks interesting, anyone seen it?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gey muckle mowser posted:

Vinegar Syndrome is doing a pop-up at my local record store later today, I'm gonna stop by and probably get a couple titles. What do you all recommend from them?

I already have:
Christmas Evil
Night Train to Terror
Deathrow Gameshow
Jack Frost
Mausoleum
Def by Temptation
Count Dracula's Great Love

Taking Tiger Mountain looks interesting, anyone seen it?

Depends on how much you wanna spend, you can't go wrong with any of the Rudy Ray Moore titles (Dolemite, Human Tornado, Petey Wheatstraw, Disco Godfather). IF you're going to get just one, I'd actually recommend Petey Wheatstraw.

I'll give a strong recommend to Blue Vengeance, it's surprisingly good for a movie that was done guerrilla style in the 80's.

I'd also recommend Star Time, Corpse Grinders, Liquid Sky, House of the Dead (AKA Alien Zone), Body Melt, There's Nothing Out there, Punk Vacation, Red Mob, Psycho Cop Returns, and Don't Answer the Phone.

As for Taking of Tiger Mountain, I thought it was alright, definitely worth a watch, but it's not a favorite of mine.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

Depends on how much you wanna spend, you can't go wrong with any of the Rudy Ray Moore titles (Dolemite, Human Tornado, Petey Wheatstraw, Disco Godfather). IF you're going to get just one, I'd actually recommend Petey Wheatstraw.

I'll give a strong recommend to Blue Vengeance, it's surprisingly good for a movie that was done guerrilla style in the 80's.

I'd also recommend Star Time, Corpse Grinders, Liquid Sky, House of the Dead (AKA Alien Zone), Body Melt, There's Nothing Out there, Punk Vacation, Red Mob, Psycho Cop Returns, and Don't Answer the Phone.

As for Taking of Tiger Mountain, I thought it was alright, definitely worth a watch, but it's not a favorite of mine.

Thanks, Liquid Sky is definitely one I was eyeing and the Corpse Grinders has a great looking cover. I'll see what they have with them I guess.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Putney Swope is a great watch and one I plan to buy in the future.

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
If you've ever wanted to see a young Bill Paxton receive an unsimulated blowjob, Taking Tiger Mountain is the film for you!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

MachineryNoise posted:

If you've ever wanted to see a young Bill Paxton receive an unsimulated blowjob, Taking Tiger Mountain is the film for you!

Does Bill Pullman give it

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

Does Bill Pullman give it

That would be a handjob

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
the guy from Vinegar Syndrome sold me on Uninvited, so I got that and Liquid Sky. I also got Hell Comes to Frogtown solely for the cool packaging.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liquid Sky, Christmas Evil, Putney Swope, and Sweet Sweetback are all essentials.

If they have any copies left of The American Dreamer or Catch My Soul, they're also worth it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Deathrow Gameshow is such a boring waste of time. The best thing about it is the title. They took a great premise that is fertile ground for some RoboCop level satire and they do nothing with it. Most of the movie is the main characters wandering around not really doing anything. And then I think they get attacked by a fat Italian stereotype for some reason I can't remember. Utter garbage.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like we're getting Eyes Wide Shut on UHD by the end of the year:
https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=25794

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Sweet thrift store find, on half off day too.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://arrowfilms.com/shop/shocktober-sale-2019/?pi=1

:spooky:

On a related note, does anyone have recommendations on all-region Blu players? My Sony BDP-7000 seems to be dead (can't play anything, even unlocked discs) and it seems like I'm having to pick between LG, Sony, Panasonic, or Samsung.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Arrow sales, I love them and I hate them. Really wish they provided more region information on their website.

Anyone know if Lifeforce is region free?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

CRAYON posted:

Arrow sales, I love them and I hate them. Really wish they provided more region information on their website.

Anyone know if Lifeforce is region free?

I have it and it's not.

blu-ray.com often has better region information, the Arrow site itself isn't always correct.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Generally, anything that got a simultaneous US/UK release. Blu-ray.com is usually the best resource.

From my own shelf...

Jamaica Inn - B
The Apartment - A/B
DePalma/DeNiro - A/B
The Addiction - A/B
Gosford Park - A/B
Distant Voices, Still Lives - A (Region B edition from BFI)
The Day of the Jackal - A (us edition)
The Bird with the Crystal Plumage - A/B
Schlock - A/B
Forbidden Zone - A/B/C
Zardoz - B (US Twilight Time edition is OOP, but it's Fox so who knows when it'll get a US release)
Cinema Paradiso - B (UK edition - there's also a US edition that's either A or A/B)

Also, just got my copy of The Shining on UHD...

The 4K remaster looks fantastic. Don't think there's much change in sound since the 2007 Blu had PCM 5.1 and this had DTS-HD MA 5.1. Only caveats would be that it doesn't have the original Saul Bass Warner logo (oddly has the late-80s logo from a freeze-frame), no original mono, the trailer wasn't included, and there's no new extras.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 1, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm reading good things about The Shining UHD that comes out today.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

Sweet thrift store find, on half off day too.

I always wonder how poo poo like this makes it way into a thrift store. I found the Arrow Crimes of Passion for three dollars the other day.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

I always wonder how poo poo like this makes it way into a thrift store. I found the Arrow Crimes of Passion for three dollars the other day.

My best guesses are either stolen or the previous owner died.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Someone please confirm that the Blu-ray included in the Shining UHD comes from the new 4K remaster so I have an excuse to buy and watch another copy of The Shining, tia.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

caligulamprey posted:

Someone please confirm that the Blu-ray included in the Shining UHD comes from the new 4K remaster so I have an excuse to buy and watch another copy of The Shining, tia.

The bluray.com review says that the blu ray in the set is "exclusive to this release" so it sounds like the answer is yes.

Edit: Yea further into the review they make it clear that the blu ray is sourced from the new remaster and isn't be sold separately.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 1, 2019

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I'm reading good things about The Shining UHD that comes out today.

4K remaster is fantastic, but literally no effort was put into this otherwise. Has the cheapest case I've ever seen for a release - it's like an eco case except even more flimsy. They didn't even bother remastering Making "The Shining" - same old 480i master that's been used since 2001. My only guess is that Warner is keeping the door open for more elaborate editions, perhaps from Criterion or Shout! Factory.

Or maybe we're getting spoiled by all these "kitchen sink" releases we get from the boutiques with multiple cuts, sound options, and exhaustive extras.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

caligulamprey posted:

Also confirmed by Caps-a-holic's comparison: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=13412&d2=13419&s1=134421&s2=134505&i=7&l=0

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

4K remaster is fantastic, but literally no effort was put into this otherwise. Has the cheapest case I've ever seen for a release - it's like an eco case except even more flimsy. They didn't even bother remastering Making "The Shining" - same old 480i master that's been used since 2001. My only guess is that Warner is keeping the door open for more elaborate editions, perhaps from Criterion or Shout! Factory.

Or maybe we're getting spoiled by all these "kitchen sink" releases we get from the boutiques with multiple cuts, sound options, and exhaustive extras.

I'm gonna try to grab the Best Buy steelbook so that'll at least be a slightly nicer case.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Egbert Souse posted:

Generally, anything that got a simultaneous US/UK release. Blu-ray.com is usually the best resource.

From my own shelf...

Jamaica Inn - B
The Apartment - A/B
DePalma/DeNiro - A/B
The Addiction - A/B
Gosford Park - A/B
Distant Voices, Still Lives - A (Region B edition from BFI)
The Day of the Jackal - A (us edition)
The Bird with the Crystal Plumage - A/B
Schlock - A/B
Forbidden Zone - A/B/C
Zardoz - B (US Twilight Time edition is OOP, but it's Fox so who knows when it'll get a US release)
Cinema Paradiso - B (UK edition - there's also a US edition that's either A or A/B)

Also, just got my copy of The Shining on UHD...

The 4K remaster looks fantastic. Don't think there's much change in sound since the 2007 Blu had PCM 5.1 and this had DTS-HD MA 5.1. Only caveats would be that it doesn't have the original Saul Bass Warner logo (oddly has the late-80s logo from a freeze-frame), no original mono, the trailer wasn't included, and there's no new extras.

I’m so loving envious of your avatar

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Egbert Souse posted:

I think you're right that we're spoiled from boutique releases.

The thing is, now that I"m older, I just don't have time for special features anymore. Not that I won't watch the occasional one, or listen to an audio commentary, it's just not high on my list of things to do anymore with limited time and more money, not to mention streaming services.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I feel like I no longer have time to watch movies before I have to go to sleep for my lame 9-5 job so I've been watching more bonus features, especially the real studio-funded EPK poo poo with tons of clips from the movie. It's like Cliffnotes. Otherwise it takes, like, three nights to get through a single film and I hate watching them like that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

caligulamprey posted:

I feel like I no longer have time to watch movies before I have to go to sleep for my lame 9-5 job so I've been watching more bonus features, especially the real studio-funded EPK poo poo with tons of clips from the movie. It's like Cliffnotes. Otherwise it takes, like, three nights to get through a single film and I hate watching them like that.

I get most of my movie watching done on weekends at about 6 AM

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like we're getting Eyes Wide Shut on UHD by the end of the year:
https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=25794

My favorite Kubrick.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
not quite sure where to brag about this but holy poo poo I am actually going to be seeing the Satantango restoration this month

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
My Shining 4K showed up on Friday but I have to wait to watch it w people on Monday. Ugh. The intro sequence was insane. Such clarity. It’s gonna be a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Apparently, then new 4K of Pan's Labyrinth is a bust. The included Blu doesn't even use the remaster Criterion used, but rather just the 2007 Blu-ray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHgP3kY9Ka8

Not sure what's going on at Warner Home Video, but it's becoming more apparent the Warner Archive guys have nothing to do with their mainstream releases.