Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yea I have no idea. It's a virtualizer plugin, it should work just like that. Atmos works fine, too.

The full message is "Warning: The current headphones are not supported. Please update your PC with the latest updates from Microsoft."

--edit:
Oh jesus, this is stupid. I have my WASAPI mixer forced to 44KHz, because its resampler is loving poo poo. Atmos has the decency to change it to 48KHz by itself, but DTS doesn't and claims "not supported". Switching to 48KHz, the warning goes away. :suicide:

--edit:
Interesting, as opposed to Atmos, it at least discerns between in-ear and over-ear headphones.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Cool I'll have to check this out.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I tried it for a couple of minutes (it didn't know about my Sony WH-H900N headphones), and I didn't really notice anything that wouldn't be replicable with standard stereo.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Does it operate with only two source channels (unlike atmos for hp)? Cos that'd be a pretty nice if the upmixing is done well.

E: knowing what your headphones are must be for applying frequency response correction I should think. I can't imagine any other reason.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 27, 2019

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Edit: NVM

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 28, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

hooah posted:

I tried it for a couple of minutes (it didn't know about my Sony WH-H900N headphones), and I didn't really notice anything that wouldn't be replicable with standard stereo.
Both Atmos and DTS have way different sound signatures. Latter sounds more 3D to me, but that may also just be placebo on the notion of sounding different.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Last I looked at DTS in the store, it said it needed a preview release of Windows. Did that change?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

2019 is insane lol

Q. Help I think I've been hijacked how do I tell
A. Have the ransom demands started yet?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Double Punctuation posted:

Last I looked at DTS in the store, it said it needed a preview release of Windows. Did that change?
Yeah, I'm on a regular release these days.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, I'm on a regular release these days.

Cutting down eh?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

The full message is "Warning: The current headphones are not supported. Please update your PC with the latest updates from Microsoft."

I'm getting that message too; changing the sound format doesn't seem to help. But seems to work just fine regardless?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Weird, both the Buy and Try buttons were greyed out until I changed to 48KHz.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

Weird, both the Buy and Try buttons were greyed out until I changed to 48KHz.

I just opened the app again (this is after multiple restarts and having it installed for like half a day): The error message banner suddenly vanished. I didn't change anything, and no new updates have been installed.

Now I just need to find out whether this or Atmos is better: Having a more precise/noticeable 3D sound stage with DTS seems enticing, considering I'm using it for gaming, not movies.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm not sure about it for gaming. Those bunch I play, they never let you chose between any speaker setup (you'd need them to output 5.1+ for the virtualizer), and I'm not sure whether there's newer games using those new spatial audio APIs yet.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Regarding how the Check for Updates button can get you updates that you wouldn't have gotten yet otherwise and which may or may not be ready for prime time, what really fries my bacon is that it just loving goes right ahead and d/l's and installs them. Instead of, I dunno, "hey I found these updates are you interested?" God drat loving arrrgh this really pisses me off eat a poo poo covered dick microsoft hey can you tell this really pisses me off?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Regarding how the Check for Updates button can get you updates that you wouldn't have gotten yet otherwise and which may or may not be ready for prime time, what really fries my bacon is that it just loving goes right ahead and d/l's and installs them. Instead of, I dunno, "hey I found these updates are you interested?" God drat loving arrrgh this really pisses me off eat a poo poo covered dick microsoft hey can you tell this really pisses me off?

With 1903, the latter behavior (presenting updates you might be interested in) is now implemented.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lambert posted:

With 1903, the latter behavior (presenting updates you might be interested in) is now implemented.

No poo poo? I guess my next question then, is why haven't been offered 1903 yet, despite hitting check for updates repeatedly until there's nothing left? I'll happily take the plunge because I can pretty easily afford 20 minutes to make an image of my system drive first, even though that's soooo 2000s *cough*codo27*cough* :jerkbag:

e: is it because I'm not on the targeted channel?

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 27, 2019

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

No idea, but you can update to 1903 manually from the Microsoft website if you haven't got it yet.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

No idea, but you can update to 1903 manually from the Microsoft website if you haven't got it yet.

I have been seriously considering just that and I probably will because backup image that can take me right back in not even 15 minutes *cough*codo27*cough*, but I'm really wanting to know why it hasn't been offered. Probably is the channel thing. I'm gonna switch it and report back, since if anything goes wrong I can restore everything so easi...*cough*codo27*cough*

E: and aha, sure 'nuff that did it! Now I have to decide whether I wanna do it right now on account of who knows how loving long it will take.

E2: also I sure hope I remember to switch it back to the non-targeted channel.

E3: I decided to do it another day because I've got some TV I'd like to watch sometime between now and bedtime. But, some folks might be interested to know that if you switch to targeted, then start the feature update, then change it back to non-targeted and reboot... it will say something got interrupted and the button will say Retry instead of Check for Updates. Click it, and it will come back saying you are up to date. :toot:

Holy poo poo, a measure of control... what ever will I do with myself once I'm on 1903?!

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 28, 2019

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It might not have been offered if there's some hardware or software issue that needs resolving, so MS holds it back until that's fixed. Like apparently it broke something to do with colour management on some Dell systems, that kind of thing

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Yep, this is how it looks. It does this for monthly cumulative updates as well, not just feature updates:

With the next version, Microsoft will add a new category for the user to select optional driver updates.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

E2: also I sure hope I remember to switch it back to the non-targeted channel.

You won't have to; update channels are gone with 1903.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Sep 28, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Whatever they're doing, they better get it sorted before next Wednesday.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My dad's laptop (I think it's some kind of Surface) is doing a weird thing where windows open directly to the task bar and he can't un-minimize them. This happened before and we fixed it by forcing Windows to not be in tablet mode, but that doesn't seem to be the problem this time around. What else can I have him try?

Edit: turns out the windows are opening on his external monitor even when it's off. I know we had a protracted discussion about a similar issue in either this thread or in the Windows applications thread, but IIRC that was the opposite problem - Windows wasn't putting things back into the correct monitor when it came back. What can my dad do to make Windows or everything in the laptop screen if the other monitor is off?

hooah fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 1, 2019

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It was this thread, and it was exactly that discussion, about how dumb it would be for windows to maintain an invisible desktop even with the monitor disconnected.

I don't have a solution for the monitor detection, but if you click on the offscreen application on the taskbar then you should be able to bring it across using Win + Alt + left/right.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

hooah posted:

Edit: turns out the windows are opening on his external monitor even when it's off. I know we had a protracted discussion about a similar issue in either this thread or in the Windows applications thread, but IIRC that was the opposite problem - Windows wasn't putting things back into the correct monitor when it came back. What can my dad do to make Windows or everything in the laptop screen if the other monitor is off?

Sounds like he wants one of the monitors that has the power-saving behavior that most people seem to hate.

Or he can just stop turning the monitor off manually and just let it go to sleep on its own, unplugging it if he doesn't want to use it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Easiest solution is turn the monitor on and use it. If he doesn't want to turn on the extra monitor, unplug it I guess? I don't know your cable configuration. Or dig around the monitor settings to see if it has a power saving mode setting.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Win+P is the shortcut key to change monitor configuration. Haven't tested if it helps, but I think it should.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Now they broke printers?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Now they broke printers?

Printers can be in a state that isn't "broken"?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

astral posted:

Printers can be in a state that isn't "broken"?
Schrodinger's printer. It's both broken and not broken until you press print.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Broke them more, I guess.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

wolrah posted:

Schrodinger's printer. It's both broken and not broken until you press print.

Who put this dead cat in my printer? :iiam:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

I found a live one in mine.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It was this thread, and it was exactly that discussion, about how dumb it would be for windows to maintain an invisible desktop even with the monitor disconnected.

I don't have a solution for the monitor detection, but if you click on the offscreen application on the taskbar then you should be able to bring it across using Win + Alt + left/right.

No, I was saying that it's dumb for Windows not to maintain an invisible desktop lager than 1024x768 when it's putting all connected monitors to sleep. Not the strawman you're putting up.

But, even the mentioned problem (someone not using their monitor) seems very much like an extreme edge case.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 1, 2019

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lambert posted:

But, even the mentioned problem (someone not using their monitor) seems very much like an extreme edge case.

Maybe, I don't know. My assumption is that he uses both monitors when he's doing work stuff and just the laptop screen when he's doing personal stuff. That doesn't seem super weird.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Now there's also news going around that they're disabling local account creation for new installs with at least the Home edition.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Now there's also news going around that they're disabling local account creation for new installs with at least the Home edition.

If this is also true for other versions, it will seriously be the last Windows install for me.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
article on the subject -- you can still pull the lan cable to get a local account at install but the annoyances continue to escalate

OTOH, people have said that they had no option for local accounts before now, including with 1903 a few pages ago ITT. I did a 1903 Home install on a friend of a friend's new PC a few weeks ago, and the local account option was still there.

MS may just be gaslighting us with A/B testing.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Klyith posted:

article on the subject -- you can still pull the lan cable to get a local account at install but the annoyances continue to escalate

OTOH, people have said that they had no option for local accounts before now, including with 1903 a few pages ago ITT. I did a 1903 Home install on a friend of a friend's new PC a few weeks ago, and the local account option was still there.

MS may just be gaslighting us with A/B testing.

I get why they do it, but if people actually want to have non cloud based account, maybe make your cloudy stuff better instead of forcing you.

MS's my way or the highway is getting pretty annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Even after pulling the LAN cable, setup is trying to sell you on creating a cloud account really hard.

hooah posted:

Maybe, I don't know. My assumption is that he uses both monitors when he's doing work stuff and just the laptop screen when he's doing personal stuff. That doesn't seem super weird.

Does still seem kinda weird.