Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I do love how fluid quick movement speed feels, especially when it comes to dodging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

pmchem posted:

this is exactly how dark souls coop worked, you could be summoned in to help someone who ends up doing the boss before you have in that zone. it’s a useful thing to learn the boss fight before risking it yourself.

the difference is that in souls you have to interact with a ground marker so you’d see a complete route to boss, while here you can be at start of zone and summoned to end fog wall.

No, I mean, in this game you can ask to be summoned in the city ruins and randomly get pulled in to anime Anor Londo. It does not seem to care where you are, only what your level is.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Merilan posted:

i made a Fortified Zweihander and realised I have 100 defence and can literally hold L1 and tank everything
That Zweihander is so good, I won't be surprised if it's one of the best weapons in the game.

kalam
Oct 30, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

No, I mean, in this game you can ask to be summoned in the city ruins and randomly get pulled in to anime Anor Londo. It does not seem to care where you are, only what your level is.

In the matchmaking options you can set an option to "This area only" which refers to the game area and not real world region.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I feel like having the stat screen display a scaling instead of a number was an attempt to simplify things that actually made it more confusing for a lot of people. I think if they just peeled back the screen and said 'hey a level 40 character has 100 in every stat and when you change to caster that becomes 60 str, 100 dex, 160 will (or whatever I obviously don't know the numbers)' etc. that would be more transparent.

Also maybe change "weapon defense" to like "% blocked" or something.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 1, 2019

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Anyone been having some audio issues ever since launch? It's not super frequent but sometimes the music track will sputter in and out for a few seconds, and if this happens during a cutscene it desyncs the voice track from the scene as well.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

knock-off anor londo sucks rear end

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Is there a good place to grind for a bunch of MJ212? I'm falling woefully behind on my gift gains and would like to buy some of the cheaper ones so I can focus on actually earning the MJ310 ones as that's only just started to drop and you need 9 a pop.

Also come on Coco, enemies are dropping titanium now, please start selling me steel!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Are there more accessories you can unlock in game? I know you can change them around at some point, but are there more options than what we have on character creation?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Thumbtacks posted:

Are there more accessories you can unlock in game? I know you can change them around at some point, but are there more options than what we have on character creation?
Think all that stuff is packed into DLC if it goes by past God Eater entries

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
yeah that makes sense.

i have a few more questions. what's the weird blue bar thing that seems to show up when you get hit? The first time I saw it I panicked because I thought it was a status effect or something.

How restrictive is a level 1 run? If it works like dark souls then you'd be restricted to specific gear because you wouldn't meet stat requirements, but (and granted I haven't really gotten past the beginning part yet) i haven't even seen a way to level up stats either

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

yeah that makes sense.

i have a few more questions. what's the weird blue bar thing that seems to show up when you get hit? The first time I saw it I panicked because I thought it was a status effect or something.

How restrictive is a level 1 run? If it works like dark souls then you'd be restricted to specific gear because you wouldn't meet stat requirements, but (and granted I haven't really gotten past the beginning part yet) i haven't even seen a way to level up stats either

That's focus. Getting hit, blocking attacks, and dodging attacks all raise it. When it turns blue you are in a focused state and unlock a special move (on PS4 it's R1+triangle) that lets you launch enemies in the air for a drain attack. Additionally there are loads of passive gifts that cause various effects to occur when focused and there are also plenty to help you be focused more often.

Level in this game affects your health, stamina, and your base damage and that's it. All other stats are on blood codes so you can never be locked out of anything.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Blue bar is your focus meter has filled up. It's the bar in the lower left hand corner, you start in the middle of the bar and the carets separate as it fills up. When they reach near the ends of the bar then it turns blue and starts shrinking again. You get increased poise and stuff when you are focused, and any of those passives that activate during focus will turn on too. It also enables launch attacks (R1+Triangle) which knock people and you do your veil attack on them. Think you have to do a charged launch attack for bigger targets, and some targets will be immune to launch for a little bit after being launched once.

Level 1 is probably doable, the blood code sets your baseline stat grades so you could just equip whatever blood code gives you the weapon you want. No gifts would suck, and level 1 solo without companion is probably the stuff of nightmares but then again someone recently played through all the Dark Souls games in one session without ever getting hit so there you go.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
oh THAT'S what Focus is. That makes more sense, I thought maybe focus was when you're targeting an enemy (like you're focusing on them?) but that would be a really weird way to give bonuses

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I feel like Focus would be a lot better if it filled up like it did, but you activated it manually when you're ready to use it or something, idk. right now I feel like I have a very poor grasp of when I'll get it (99% of the time it fills when I eat an attack and am scrambling to block and heal, mostly wasting it) and it doesn't last long enough to make Gifts that improve things under Focus worthwhile

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm not super far (Just beat the Stripper Pole boss) but I feel like none of these Codes I'm getting are worth using. Prometheus has such crazy stat scaling that everything I find is just a downgrade on str and dex. Even wearing the lightest armor and one of the lightest weapons I can only get Quick moveset with it equipped.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm not super far (Just beat the Stripper Pole boss) but I feel like none of these Codes I'm getting are worth using. Prometheus has such crazy stat scaling that everything I find is just a downgrade on str and dex. Even wearing the lightest armor and one of the lightest weapons I can only get Quick moveset with it equipped.

You'll get some neat ones later depending on the playstyle you want, but yeah, sometimes you get Codes that you mostly just want to poach abilities from because their stat chassis isn't that great

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Prometheus is the best quick fast one for a decent chunk of the game. Save it for boss fights and work on getting other gifts while exploring.

Slow and heavy is really good too though. Don't need to be fast when you pancake enemies.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Some skills can not be inherited, and will always require having that Blood Code equipped.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The Blood Codes have their own base movement speeds, which are calculated with your equipment's weight to get your final speed.

Darkseeker has some skills to mess around with venom. Venom buildup ranged attack, an area effect that builds venom, adding venom to your melee during focus, and gaining ichor when near something that is taking damage from venom. Haven't run into anything immune to venom, yet, except the Depths version of the Butterfly.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Some things definitely resist it if they're not outright immune, though. Gilded Hunter has a sufficient amount of poison resistance that even with a poison weapon + poison buff you probably won't poison him until he's just about to pop his phase 2, which incidentally cleanses all debuffs on him.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Man I tried to use a blocking build on a boss just now but after a full game of only dodging and barely blocking I can't get the hang of it.

Oh well back to slow rolling, I've done it before I'll do it again

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I do genuinely like that Code Vein allows for both the classic pile of meat HP + 100% Block approach and the hyper-fast Bloodborne Quick dashes and both feel extremely good and cool

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The interminable boss run to the desert boss is actively making me worse at the game :negative:

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Buff Stacking in the game is dumb, spoilers for the desert boss:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/488973616

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i already know i want to focus on the bayonet, although im not super sure what that'll look like lategame.

this game seems like it's the kind where you can have a bunch of different builds at any given time since it's only limited by items and skills, right? you can't put points into stats so you end up with like terrible strength if you go for a caster, etc

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

i already know i want to focus on the bayonet, although im not super sure what that'll look like lategame.

this game seems like it's the kind where you can have a bunch of different builds at any given time since it's only limited by items and skills, right? you can't put points into stats so you end up with like terrible strength if you go for a caster, etc

Yes you can, and should, use all the various builds. Maybe not for boss fights if you're not good with a particular weapon type, but at least for exploring. That's how you earn gifts that can be used with other builds.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The female run animation in the homebase is so bad I hate it.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Thumbtacks posted:

about the most restrictive limit the game has is choosing what your upgrade materials go into and the game also showers you with up-to-date gear for different builds if you explore enough anyway, so yeah you can explore all the different builds without much commitment

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Yes you can, and should, use all the various builds. Maybe not for boss fights if you're not good with a particular weapon type, but at least for exploring. That's how you earn gifts that can be used with other builds.

with the whole innate things im getting a real dragons dogma vibe from the system, reminds me of augments and encouraging you to play a bunch of poo poo to unlock their innate stuff.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Thumbtacks posted:

with the whole innate things im getting a real dragons dogma vibe from the system, reminds me of augments and encouraging you to play a bunch of poo poo to unlock their innate stuff.

It's got that kinda feel to it, but unlike DDog your stat gains from leveling aren't determined by your class at time of level-up.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Thumbtacks posted:

Your ai companions are also about as adorable as pawns so yeah I love this comparison

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Wish the scope was as big as dragons dogma. I hate anime and this one hasn't bothered me at all. Except the ridiculous women.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man there's so much haze in the ridge I'm just gaining levels by the handfuls cause there's nothing left to even buy.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I farmed for MJ212 for a while before getting bored because I can't find anywhere with a good drop rate. Ended up with 500,000 haze and nothing to spend it on but levels, so I just killed myself rather than use those unworthy gains.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

I farmed for MJ212 for a while before getting bored because I can't find anywhere with a good drop rate. Ended up with 500,000 haze and nothing to spend it on but levels, so I just killed myself rather than use those unworthy gains.

I'm getting an MJ212 each time I beat the Gilded Hunter in Arachnid Grotto in the Depths. Some of the mini bosses might drop them as well.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Stickman posted:

I'm getting an MJ212 each time I beat the Gilded Hunter in Arachnid Grotto in the Depths. Some of the mini bosses might drop them as well.

Yeah but that's not the kind of return on time spent I was looking for. I was hoping to be able to do a bit of farming while getting other gifts mastered for max efficiency but it's too dull so I'll just keep going forward.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Merilan posted:

Your ai companions are also about as adorable as pawns so yeah I love this comparison

im vaguely disappointed i can't design my companion as well but that's ok

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
All the builds really opened for me after cathedral. Caster build is especially strong with the Isis blood code, since you want to attach some physical emphasis anyway for drain rating and slower weapons having an increased drain rating is nice. The weight limit on that code is obscenely high but the mobility rating will only let you flex to normal.

Blood veil weights bother me a lot. I can take a half letter upgrade on using some veil at 80 weight or I can ignore that and use one at like 30 weight. Defenses are really hard to understand their impact too. Having to divert mats to upgrading veils for better magic is also slightly irksome but at least they stay relevant for awhile.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
God I wish I could make a female character and not feel like a degenerate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

You're already a degenerate for playing this, embrace it