Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

bigfoot again posted:

Should of been a straight red

Yes that was nasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

HappyCamperGL posted:

Could have got good odds on penalty try being Scotland's top scorer .

Probably shorter when its against Samoa.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

three Samoan dudes in rice paddy hats. who's gonna be the one to call them out for that, because it's certainly not gonna be me.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

bessantj posted:

Probably shorter when its against Samoa.

Just read this article about prevalent racism vs. pacific islanders in Rugby Union and uuhh I guess that's what it is talking about?
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/116141388/mark-reason-pacific-islands-still-shackled-by-white-man-rules-at-rugby-world-cup

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Fully expect Tom "English" English to disappear and not make any comment after a good result and game by Scotland.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

BabyFur Denny posted:

Just read this article about prevalent racism vs. pacific islanders in Rugby Union and uuhh I guess that's what it is talking about?
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/116141388/mark-reason-pacific-islands-still-shackled-by-white-man-rules-at-rugby-world-cup

What the gently caress are you talking about? That is one of the dumbest articles I've ever read. Charles Piutau plays for the All Blacks, that's why he can't play for Tonga, that article seems to imply this is some devilish scheme by white guys to keep the Tongan team down. Israel Folau is not ostracised because of white-mans rules but because he's not fit to step on the field of a game that claims to be inclusive.

That article is in the opinion section, but it's the opinion of an incredibly stupid man. Poite is so racist that he decided not to send off a Samoan as that would have revealed his devilish racism?

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I like how to strengthen his argument he's quoted a recent tweet by Faimaono-Sapolu - a guy who 8 years ago compared the scheduling of rugby matches to the holocaust.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Mark Reason is a known moron.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

The article is bad but English commentators do loove talking about Physicality and Ill-Discipline whenever a Pacific team is playing.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bigfoot again posted:

The article is bad but English commentators do loove talking about Physicality and Ill-Discipline whenever a Pacific team is playing.

Ill discipline is usually down to coaching and the amount of time players have to play together in their national framework, and that's down to money. Charles Piutau doesn't suddenly become white when he pulls on an All Blacks top. The money issue is a huge issue though, which affects the pacific islanders, but also Georgia, Namibia, Japan, all of the tier 2 nations. They get less playing time which directly correlates to the penalty count in the game.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Japan’s men’s soccer team is one of the best-sponsored out there, so if the corporations even bandwagon a little bit after this World Cup it’ll help the Japanese game.

Still needs to go professional and mirror the J-League in structure and go away from the corporate teams IMO. And somebody should save the Sunwolves from their imminent demise.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

BabyFur Denny posted:

I do agree with him on the impoverishment of the Pacific Islands. Since the advent of professionalism capitalism has been getting a firmer and firmer grip on rugby. More games are played to bring in more money and all players suffer because of it. During the summer tours and autumn internationals you get the same teams playing each other as that's where the money comes from. The 6N teams should tour the PIs but they don't want to take the hit in income. It has also been suggested more than once that clubs in the premiership and Top14 have put pressure on PI players not to play for their country either by saying they'll be released or by saying they won't get paid. Try that on an English or French player and see how fast the lawyers get involved.

I'm not sure I support his eligibility complaint though. The world is so much more international these days and look at someone like Michael Leitch, born in new Zealand he went to Japan aged 15 for education. Since then he's captained the junior side, become a citizen and says he speaks Japanese better than English it seems backward to suggest he shouldn't be able to play for Japan but once he does he's locked in.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

oh no computer posted:

I like how to strengthen his argument he's quoted a recent tweet by Faimaono-Sapolu - a guy who 8 years ago compared the scheduling of rugby matches to the holocaust.

Faimaono-Sapolu is a low-key anti-semite and straight up transphobe. The guy is a turbocunt. He very recently liked a post on twitter about how the jews run South Africa and sanctioned apartheid to get the diamonds.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

With the worry about head contact is it likely this type of handing off (currently legal I believe) will become illegal?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Potentially though there are laws covering it at the moment (open hand to face only, never closed fist) but I wouldn't be surprised if there were changes made.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

bigfoot again posted:

English commentators are racist????? Who could have foreseen this?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

Potentially though there are laws covering it at the moment (open hand to face only, never closed fist) but I wouldn't be surprised if there were changes made.

I love the open palm hand off on the centre, a proper 'get hosed' hand off.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bessantj posted:

With the worry about head contact is it likely this type of handing off (currently legal I believe) will become illegal?

So this is covered but basically at the refs discretion, rules 9.24

quote:

A ball-carrier is permitted to hand off an opponent provided excessive force is not used.

commonly this is interpreted as don't punch your opponent, you can push them away but you can't slap or punch them.

The first hand off he does there might contravene 9.2 Dangerous Play and Misconduct though as his hand makes contact with the tackling players eyes.

quote:

A player must not physically or verbally abuse anyone. Physical abuse includes, but is not limited to, biting, punching, contact with the eye or eye area, striking with any part of the arm (including stiff-arm tackles), shoulder, head or knee(s), stamping, trampling, tripping or kicking.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Aramoro posted:

commonly this is interpreted as don't punch your opponent, you can push them away but you can't slap or punch them.

The first hand off he does there might contravene 9.2 Dangerous Play and Misconduct though as his hand makes contact with the tackling players eyes.

Well where he's going after that hand off he won't need eyes.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

I liked it when Tim Nanai-Williams tried to tackle wee Gregg Laidlaw but actually smashed him over the try line from about fifteen yards out. He looked so surprised

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bigfoot again posted:

I liked it when Tim Nanai-Williams tried to tackle wee Gregg Laidlaw but actually smashed him over the try line from about fifteen yards out. He looked so surprised

That's only the 5th Try Laidlaw has scored for Scotland, 75 caps , 710 points but just 5 tries. It's a remarkable record really.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Aramoro posted:

That's only the 5th Try Laidlaw has scored for Scotland, 75 caps , 710 points but just 5 tries. It's a remarkable record really.

He wants to try some intercepts a la Gareth Davies.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Aramoro posted:

Two of those are against Samoa.

In short, Greeg needs to play Samoa more often.

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work

Aramoro posted:

The thing I have been trying to work out is how much discretion does the on field ref have under the current regime if an incident is brought up via TMO. If there is contact to say, the face, no matter how brief or incidental, shown in a slomo review can the ref currently say that's fine and continue, or is there no wiggle room whatsoever?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Mitigating circumstances can certainly be brought up by the ref to lower a sanction, for example if a player ducks or slips at the moment of a tackle and they get hit in the head, the ref may deem it to just be a penalty instead of yellow card worthy and so on. There's a little wiggle room but with head contact they're more likely to stick to the letter of the law.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
Roll Call for all Kiwis staying up on a school night to watch the ABs kick off at 11:15pm local time

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Huget gets the try but how will he gently caress up in this match?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

I look forward to seeing how the French will blow a huge half time lead this time.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That was a good finish by Raka.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Jedimastafez posted:

Roll Call for all Kiwis staying up on a school night to watch the ABs kick off at 11:15pm local time

Yeah, but call me unpatriotic because I'm not planning on watching the whole thing... at least the next two games are on at more reasonable times.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The States can feel a bit hard done by here, playing well and building through the phases to the French 22 and then a cynical penalty for France with another last warning before a card.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Sounds like France really should have been given a card at the end of the first half there

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ramos is having an absolute shocker today.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That run then that pass :discourse:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bessantj posted:

That run then that pass :discourse:

This is a superposition of both Frances

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
France look like poo poo and the USA deserve some points

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The wave form has collapsed into BadFrance luckily for them the USA are also bad.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The audience share for ITV in the U.K. on Saturday during the welsh game was 84%. Doesn’t count timeshifted or digital, or S4C.

Bloody mad.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

This is peak Francing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Fraaaaance.