Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

In all the excitement today, I think the hot new lore about Roberts Space Industries dropped through the cracks.

Allow me to summarize:
* The company was literally founded by a man named Chris Roberts, in a time period not too far from right now!
* The company made batteries and cricket farms (?) until Chris Roberts cracked the code and invented the magic space engines on which everything now runs, in 2075.
* He then decided he wanted to terraform other planets and worked on that until he died in 2108, a quintuple-trillionaire, having revolutionized everything.
* None of the other CEOs get named after him. Also they hosed up his glorious vision of terraforming and accidentally killed 5,000 people.
* Apparently in response to this (?) they built the first (?) commercially available spaceship, the Zeus. Like... 40 years after they built the engines? Okay.
* Then we time-skip forward hundreds of years because corporations are fairly stable in geological time, right.
* RSI sold spaceships to a fascist dictatorship but then lost the contracts. This is described in detail, it's thrilling.
* But the RSI CEO was one of the first to rise in rebellion against the regime he'd, uh, been selling ships to! He got sued for treason or something, who cares.
* Post revolution they were attacked for having sold ships to the space roman empire. In response to this they made a charitable arm, apparently for the first time in hundreds of years.
* And now they are still here, selling spaceships!

-----

There you go. Stiflingly dull, completely detached from the reality of the game, and somehow still insultingly self-aggrandizing. It is the Chris Roberts trifecta.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Had to laugh at the bit where Sandi wanted to do an 'in universe' show. I think the best implementation that i've ever seen was Max Payne 1 and 2, and all it took was some voice actors and a handful of sprites. I ran the entire game a second time just to watch these shows to completion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heJrK751zi8

But Sandi wanted to do full on news cast FMV, probably some drama shows...

Yknow, slapping together some 'in universe' media content would be a relatively easy task for a few talented artists and great for shoveling at the fans.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm not sure if he linked it before or after goons started posting about it but I do know he got on twitter and described it as "still funny" and gave a halfassed excuse thaat he and his friends were trying to be like Something Awful when they made it.

The real story is that Ben Lesnick posted his old website on a pre-spectrum forum thread on cig's own website when someone asked something along the lines of nostalgia and because it literally came up in a big bang episode because of his page on spiders or whatever the gently caress.

Ben casually joked that their was more to the site than just the spider thing, but that it was all fairly mundane. Goons eventually found his link because goons find poo poo and it was posted publicly and some of us did deep dives.

Cue the various quotes of Ben being a racist shithead and how he "got jewed" in counter strike. Initially, this was thought to be the worst of it all, but another goon, I forget who and would rather not point fingers, pointed out how there were... numerous photos of the same person. A real news anchor from Philly or whatever. Ben made some gross remarks about philly cheese steaks im sure.

Anyways, the site was making the rounds because Ben thought nothing of it. He doesn't think being a racizt fucknugget is wrong and so never curated anything. Well, eventually he started getting a lot of heat really quickly. Ben quickly posted on his loving ancient livejournal about how the website is a product of its time and shouldnt be used to judge his current character.

He then promptly did whatever he could to close off the website to outsiders, blaming goons and fudsters of turning a collection of memories into more of a pile of regrets and problems.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Thom12255 posted:

What exactly was it that pushed Bootcha from a committed investor to making it his mission to exposing CIG?

He got blacklisted for associating with Derek Smart and industrial espionage. Then Sandi acted like a bitch when he tried to get a refund and basically revealed poo poo lile the "Snowflake" category that customer support would label individuals on the backend.

Except they made it visible to the frontend too.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

He got blacklisted for associating with Derek Smart and industrial espionage. Then Sandi acted like a bitch when he tried to get a refund and basically revealed poo poo lile the "Snowflake" category that customer support would label individuals on the backend.

Except they made it visible to the frontend too.

lol that was all Beer4theBeerGod I think. The Sandi emails and corporate espionage (Aegis Potato) thing definitely were Beer

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
don't forget ben's chat logs were full of him 'ironically' joking about raping his (very) little sister, besides even more damning racist 'jokes' than that -- the photo he took at a library where he put a sign about pickpocketing next to a sign about african american heritage book club or something.

unrelated, if this is the biggest thing beet's known for people haven't seen his dog

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Oh right i got my B'z mixed up.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Although technically I'm correct bscause Bootcha committed insider trading and corporate (rather than industrial) espionage seeing as he was an investor

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jon Do posted:

don't forget ben's chat logs were full of him 'ironically' joking about raping his (very) little sister, besides even more damning racist 'jokes' than that -- the photo he took at a library where he put a sign about pickpocketing next to a sign about african american heritage book club or something.

unrelated, if this is the biggest thing beet's known for people haven't seen his dog

No, no, I do want to forget.

Please let me forget.

Someone hand me the bleach already. I died once for the Ben Lesnick Triple Threat Challenge.

I did my time.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Although technically I'm correct bscause Bootcha committed insider trading and corporate (rather than industrial) espionage seeing as he was an investor

We're all committing corporate espionage and insider trading right now just by talking about how bad Star Citizen is!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jon Do posted:

and, of course...

https://i.imgur.com/Ca8EkDV.mp4

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Please let me forget.

Someone hand me the bleach already. I died once for the Ben Lesnick Triple Threat Challenge.

I did my time.

Haha, NO! You WILL remember

R.I.P. Money

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Amazing, i thought that was one of the weakest ones for actually getting through to backers some of the issues with the project. I thought most of the Sandi stuff was pretty much out in the open.

What is more amazing is it wasn't downvoted into oblivion! Currently sitting at +18

55% upvoted... heh, so it means it is being downvoted hard, but the upvotes are still outweighing.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Strangler 42 posted:

Remember when the white knights said that the reason goons left was because they were butthurt Chris wasn't making the game that goons wanted? They were right. It's just that the game that goons wanted was a game that could actually work. Chris the code whisperer disagreed. And here we are.

But they are making the game goons wanted. Look at the Mantis. Tell me that isn't the sort of gameplay goons want.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Goons want free griefing, not $400 griefing

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Bootcha posted:

Wait, poo poo, wrong series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2dbNx3c7uk

Edit: Cat taxxe paid on last page.

I know Ben Lesnik is kind of a scumbag, but it felt terrible seeing how committed and valuable he was to the project in the early going and seeing how super lovely he was treated by someone he idolized. Man. That's hosed up.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Goons want free griefing, not $400 griefing

You must pay even for the dream* of griefing.

* Griefing will not happen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Sunk cost galaxy is the best thing to come out of SC :munch:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Please let me forget.

I did my time.

I legitimately managed a period of 2 or so years with nary a thought of 'How is Star Citizen doing'

And then something like this video drops and it all comes back...the Imp Zone relocation, that I found funny as hell because I wasn't a goon yet back then, Derek Smart's 2015 July blog post and him quoting my refund thread on RSI via Twitter (that guy plus a new goon friend I made is likely the biggest reason for me signing up, no joke), the Aegis Potato and our own version of 'but her emails' from Sandi's correspondence with Beer, all after I got out...and all the poo poo I witnessed before I got out.

It's not the kind of thing you can ever truly forget. All it takes is a spark and all the neurons remember all the crazy poo poo all over again.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 2, 2019

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Beet Wagon posted:

I stand corrected. It is (maybe) not broken yet lol.

I'm calling it: when CIG say "ooh the thing doesn't work every time, it might miss!" that's not a feature, it's them coming up with a lore explanation for a bug they can't fix.

When you're doing collision detection in games, the faster and smaller your objects are (in relative terms, depending on the overall scale of your scene / game world / level), the more likely it is that your collision won't work. Game engines aren't actually really real time in the sense that there's not a continuous unbroken timeline, instead they update in very quick snapshots between which is nothing. Usually the time between these updates is measured in a few milliseconds, but for objects small and fast enough this is enough: in the time between updates the object will have passed through the collision area, and no collision is recorded.

Now, for CIG's broken rear end "we took Cryengine and hosed up the scale for everything plus our servers are janky as gently caress and lag like motherfuckers" solution I'm willing to bet collision detection in general is loving broken and laggy, let alone when trying to match a 20-30km bubble with an object moving at thousands of kilometers a second.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Tojal has had enough...

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/dc6u3s/its_time_permaban_known_trolls_and_people_known/

RandomGuy12
Jan 20, 2019

:ohdear:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

'Permaban people known to be arguing in bad faith'

I don't think I've ever seen this expressed in good faith.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Click through. He's stalking someone and they called him a transphobe and he got upset.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Thank you Bootcha for an informative and funny video! I came late to the party, so some of the stuff was new to me, like seeing that old footage from Wingman's Hangar and other of their shows.

Hazamuth fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 2, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Rotten Red Rod posted:

weird, it's almost like she wasn't qualified for it or something
wow it's almost like someone who is new to business in their first serious role in a company shouldn't be immediately promoted to "SEO"!

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Ghostlight posted:

wow it's almost like someone who is new to business in their first serious role in a company shouldn't be immediately promoted to "SEO"!

You guys are being most unfair! She was obviously absent for that one class (possibly for an audition!) where they covered SEO while completing her Masters in "International Marketing" (which she totally did not fabricate on Batgirl's show!) at an undisclosed University.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:saddowns: Poor Toejam is having a meltdown :ohdear:

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Cannot wait to get home and watch this Bootcha. Great work!

Just a whole day of work to go first :(

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Bootcha posted:

Wait, poo poo, wrong series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2dbNx3c7uk

Edit: Cat taxxe paid on last page.

Same. I've been on the lookout and I still haven't found any degrees that look like that around.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Quavers posted:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I wonder if ShapCap also thought people reporting on Enron should have been generating less negativity and move on... :thunk:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Can't wait to watch this thing. The fact that it has 28 upvotes on SC reddit and 267 comments where cultists are being dunked is :discourse:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Quavers posted:

:negative:

poor tojal

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Thom12255 posted:

What exactly was it that pushed Bootcha from a committed investor to making it his mission to exposing CIG?

Watch the first couple shows in his YouTube series.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Beluga Snail posted:

drat, never thought I'd see the day.

I must have missed out, who is this Goemo dude again?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bofast posted:

I wonder if ShapCap also thought people reporting on Enron should have been generating less negativity and move on... :thunk:

Ken Lay certainly thought so.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

New Sunk Cost Galaxy is great! Still got 20 minutes to get through but i have to say, you've got a knack for presenting information clearly and concisely.

Needs more Bleu Cheese though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

Ken Lay certainly thought so.

Understandably so, but I don't think tojal is clever enough to be Chris Roberts or Ortwin or any of the other people at the head of this particular disaster.
(I can't believe I just complimented the intelligence of Chris Roberts)