Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Revenge of Ravens is a primo addition to an Aristocats deck, thank you thread for reminding me it exists. It's a nice insurance against go-wide decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lost game 3 of a trad draft match to reconnect bug, which ended my run. Real big bummer and $5 out. Is there any recourse when you lose gems/gem opportunities to a bug?

Also Acclaimed Contender is gonna be busto in Historic.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 2, 2019

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Here to say that having your double strike goblin knight that's holding a giant's skewer get blocked by multiple creatures is just the best.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Lmao hey kids don't be like me and turn your opponent's Yorvo into an 8/8 killing machine by elking it with Oko!

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Jon Do posted:

'fun' with crafting evaluation; leading high tier here is both yarok field and simic flash, leaving me stuff leftover perhaps even for a mono black list

Where are you getting your tier evaluations from? I don't think yarok field is a deck at the moment. I would instead craft the golos field deck that just took 1st place at fandom casters cup. And if you're really concerned about wildcards I'd wait for the meta to settle.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Dear my opponents,

Make sure you kill me and my Jund Adventure deck before I have out three Innkeepers and three Clovers. :allears:

(One black mana? Four cards! Bonecrusher Giant for 8 to the face! :black101:)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Esper Dance is so annoying jesus

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

my opponent is tabbing out every turn and it takes him forever to realize the board state has changed or that I'm passing the turn to him. I'm tempted to just go get some food and see if he concedes

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

UGH

Edit: it was actually pretty close

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 2, 2019

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dancer absolutely feasts on clunky midrange. Either go over them or go way under or you're hosed in most of the games I've seen.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Lone Goat posted:

they're waiting to see what deck you're playing before they decide to scry to the top or bottom

muon posted:

what you do changes how i scry, waiting until eot is the correct play

No!! They're just being jerks!!

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

salt shakeup posted:

Where are you getting your tier evaluations from? I don't think yarok field is a deck at the moment. I would instead craft the golos field deck that just took 1st place at fandom casters cup. And if you're really concerned about wildcards I'd wait for the meta to settle.

Definitely, since posting this I looked again... and I think youre right. It's so few rares for me i was perhaps a bit hopeful. It was a tier article I thought Aintrazi had written, but can no longer find, so yeah. I'm still not sure whether simic flash itself is the best option.

Mostly I'm over analyzing because if I spend on Eldraine it's more likely to be drafting, and don't want to goof and end up low on wildcards. Still looking at Esper Stax, but it just doesn't look as fun to play... shame the event was one time only; I tried Grixis Fires and got rocked by Stax, Flash, and Stax again.

Since WAR I've been playing a budget version of Merchant's Dimir Kefnet and loving it. New Dimir looks good and fun, as well. Some of the options have intersecting crafts which will affect their costs, so it's just a headache.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 2, 2019

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
The Dance mirror cured me of ever wanting to play Dance again

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Can anyone recommend any videos where someone takes a concept and builds a deck around while fully explaining why they are adding certain cards and for what reasons? I saw Legend do this recently with a Mono Black deck but I haven't really seen any others do videos like it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Dance is super fun IMO

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

FalloutGod posted:

Can anyone recommend any videos where someone takes a concept and builds a deck around while fully explaining why they are adding certain cards and for what reasons? I saw Legend do this recently with a Mono Black deck but I haven't really seen any others do videos like it.

Bryan and Gerry of Arena Decklists / Gam Podcast / StarCity games commentators / former MPL member in Gerry's case / Fandom Legends Tourney crusher in Bryan's case have started a youtube channel and they've been doing some deck techs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lx8zoOIDTI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iye4ucYbLpY

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Dance is super fun IMO

Hell yeah. Except when you don't draw your eggs, then it durdles a bit and falls over.

Khaal
Mar 22, 2008
Just went 7-0 in a standard event with golgari cat cauldron (not sure how much of an achievement that is but it felt really good). mostly faced mono red cavalcade with a few golgari and jeskai in between.

I copied the decklist from here: https://decks.tcgplayer.com/magic/freeform/yoman5/golgari-food-sacrifice/1360690

replaced 2x swamp with 2x castle locthwain because i was worried about getting stuck in topdeck mode

not 100% sure on the 4x giant opportunity because i never really had the opportunity for the vanilla 7/7 and i had enough food between the trail of crumbs/oven/goose but i don't really know what to replace it with.

Trail of crumbs really starts paying off mid to late game and lets you smooth out your draws a bit.
Vraska is definitely a MVP, feels she has a lot of targets this season and good synergy with the deck. Thanks for reading

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Draw Second Izzet is fun when it works but if your opponent has much interaction at all, or if you just draw the wrong half of your deck you just seem to die.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 2, 2019

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I can't believe they talked up the alternate frames so much on paper magic and on Arena the card styles are still parallax garbage.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Love paying 1500 gems for two packs

You got 5 packs total

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008
I know this has been said before but as an old player returning after a long layoff, planeswalkers are sooooooo lame. I threw together a bant golos deck last night because I didn't need many wild cards and I got matched up against an Esper Dance player. I know they have a million board wipes so I was being careful not to over extend while still putting some pressure but then they play Liliana and make me sac 2. Now I have no way to interact so my next turn I dump some creatures but they are summoning sick so I walk right into a +1 on Liliana and then Kaya's wrath. So frustrating.

On the flip side, it was nice to get a snap concede from a simic flash player when I baited the counterspell and then dropped 3 cmc teferi.

The fact that they needed to make questing beast shows that both of those planeswalkers I just mentioned should cost at least 1 maybe 2 cmc more.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

There is nothing better than playing a ceratops against simic flash and watching them suffer. gently caress that deck.

On one hand Simic Flash is an rear end in a top hat deck for garbage people, on the other it does feel real good to have them instantly concede when I finally land a Teferi

But then again Teferi is the biggest rear end in a top hat of them all so everybody loses here

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

Bryan and Gerry of Arena Decklists / Gam Podcast / StarCity games commentators / former MPL member in Gerry's case / Fandom Legends Tourney crusher in Bryan's case have started a youtube channel and they've been doing some deck techs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lx8zoOIDTI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iye4ucYbLpY

These dudes are cool, thanks for the heads up. Seems like every youtube mtga guy is bo1 only.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

How does Dance win against Flash? Is it just hoping to resolve Teferi/Wrath?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/yoman_5/status/1179401069480333313

Also with SB guide for GW Adventure

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I dont believe in WG adventure. Even if it's well positioned it just seems like a weaker deck. But thats how I felt about selesnya too.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

...rakdos aggro seems pretty damned good for not being on this list.

whatever. i'll be over here playing simic flash and bant oko ramp, cause i know what i like.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I've been watching Gabriel Nassif do mythic championship testing on his stream all morning and Tamiyo just houses the Esper Dance deck, it's kinda sad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

cams posted:

...rakdos aggro seems pretty damned good for not being on this list.

whatever. i'll be over here playing simic flash and bant oko ramp, cause i know what i like.

He's addressing a tournament meta, not Arena meta, play what you like, it's probably good enough to get you where ever you wanna go.

Like for example I'm gonna play this today:
https://twitter.com/Kofurea/status/1179322034695950336

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have been thinking about putting Tamiyo in my Simic deck, especially if Doom Foretold continues to be a thing. Would be even better if B's hand disruption wasn't primarily exiling

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
You're gonna have to pry a moderately effective mono b from my cold dead hands.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

drainpipe posted:

You're gonna have to pry a moderately effective mono b from my cold dead hands.

It's fine if you're not at a tournament also that guy could be wrong!

https://twitter.com/TheOddEngineer/status/1178859690169655296

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Play mono black now while it’s weak so when Theros comes out and soups the deck up you’re like that guy from Naruto who removed his heavy socks and whipped rear end.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

He's addressing a tournament meta, not Arena meta, play what you like, it's probably good enough to get you where ever you wanna go.

Like for example I'm gonna play this today:
https://twitter.com/Kofurea/status/1179322034695950336

You can’t call your deck “Sultai 5-Color Red Card” that’s just loving mega-stupid

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

fadam posted:

Play mono black now while it’s weak so when Theros comes out and soups the deck up you’re like that guy from Naruto who removed his heavy socks and whipped rear end.

But he still lost the fight and ended up crippled afterwards?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

But he still lost the fight and ended up crippled afterwards?

Sure

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

zoux posted:

These dudes are cool, thanks for the heads up. Seems like every youtube mtga guy is bo1 only.

Seriously! I wish LegenVD, CGB, Merchant, Alias did more Bo3 stuff on youtube. Really wish Brian Braun Duin would stream more as well, he's my favorite Twitch streamer because he's a goofy rear end in a top hat who creates the absolute worst decks to play against sometimes but he's also probably the best player in the world at the moment and says some incredibly smart poo poo occasionally.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
BBD was streaming very regularly for a while and he seemed to be the most popular od the MPLers. Idk why he toned it down so much. Are the streaming contracts different now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

Seriously! I wish LegenVD, CGB, Merchant, Alias did more Bo3 stuff on youtube. Really wish Brian Braun Duin would stream more as well, he's my favorite Twitch streamer because he's a goofy rear end in a top hat who creates the absolute worst decks to play against sometimes but he's also probably the best player in the world at the moment and says some incredibly smart poo poo occasionally.

Yeah I don't want to hate on those guys since they make great stuff for noobies and really helped me out when I was getting going, but for sure I wish they'd do more Bo3 stuff. I wonder if the bo3/bo1 ratio is still as wack as it was the last time they said, I'm sure they're just following the market.