Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

I really thought I'd be into the bounty hunter role, but that's sitting at level 5 while trader and collector are like 13 or 14 already. It's just not as interesting or varied, though that may be because like Major Warren I never bring the bounty in alive.

I try to, but my record isn't great. I do carry a letter from Lincoln, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I really thought I'd be into the bounty hunter role, but that's sitting at level 5 while trader and collector are like 13 or 14 already. It's just not as interesting or varied, though that may be because like Major Warren I never bring the bounty in alive.

Bounty Hunting got more fun when I was able to start picking my bounty out of the caravan or hideout using eagle eye. Around level 5 (?) it unlocks a skill to make them glow reddish. Then the challenge becomes taking out all their security without hitting them or before they run away.

And if that doesn't work out, I just start throwing dynamite.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
You get more experience for the Bounty role doing the legendary bounties too, so it's worth doing them. You don't need a bounty wagon to do this week's either.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Transmogrifier posted:

You get more experience for the Bounty role doing the legendary bounties too, so it's worth doing them. You don't need a bounty wagon to do this week's either.

That's good to know. I figured it was a whole gang and I'm still rebuilding my cash flow after buying wagon, shovel, and metal detector.

And lots of Barbie cowboy clothes. Lots.

I'm worried about whoever is coming up with the camo stew recipes. Got one today that's chocolate chili. Ingredients are chocolate bar, game meat (rabbit?), and kidney beans.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

That's good to know. I figured it was a whole gang and I'm still rebuilding my cash flow after buying wagon, shovel, and metal detector.

And lots of Barbie cowboy clothes.

It is a gang of four you have to track down but they're at different locations so you can take them one by one to the prison wagon before moving to the next target. At later difficulties, if you're running solo, this is probably preferable to the wagon anyway because they are more likely to run off and it's harder to chase them down in the wagon than on your horse.

(Yes that happened to me.)

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I try to, but my record isn't great. I do carry a letter from Lincoln, though

Just don't drink the coffee!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

the owlhoot bounty is fun because a. no time limit and b. it seems to have parts it mixes up, like I think there are 6 owlhoots to apprehend in different scenarios and it randomly gives you 4 of them each time

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Yeah I'd be hunting bounties constantly if it wasn't for the loving timer. It's like a drat bandit hideout on demand, gently caress off timer :argh:

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

free hubcaps posted:

the owlhoot bounty is fun because a. no time limit and b. it seems to have parts it mixes up, like I think there are 6 owlhoots to apprehend in different scenarios and it randomly gives you 4 of them each time

I did it solo at two star and got over 1000 XP too, it's really a lot of fun the way they mix it up.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

For trader sale missions; once you deliver the cart into the drop zone and the icon turns into a green check mark, are you guaranteed full credit for the sale, or can people still gently caress with you?

I did a short sale last night, and there was a player waiting for me at the drop point. I made sure to bring the cart to the yellow drop off ASAP, and sure enough the player tried to kill me while I was fighting the bandits (despite being a blue dot, the fucker) but he didn’t think to go after the wagon.

If he HAD gone for the wagon, would I have been in trouble, or is it safe once you deliver it, even if you still have to kill NPCs to finish the mission?

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

I think you're good. I ended up parking my wagon in a safe zone that doubled as a train track and was promptly obliterated by the oncoming train but I still got paid once all the bad lads were dealt with.

I think once it's in the zone objective focus switches to making sure you have someone alive to sell it to.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
In general, during missions when you get near or into the yellow shaded area, you/the wagon turn translucent and can't be interacted with by non-posse players. I imagine the mechanics are the same. If you fire at/near them I think you turn solid though to give them a chance to retaliate.

Don't the npcs you have to defend affect the payout? I think that'd be the only thing he could've done to gently caress with your delivery after the cart was flagged as delivered.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hmm, I’m not sure. Glad he didn’t think to try that either I guess.

What happens if you die? Either to bandits or players? Do you just get back up or does it fail the sale?

I got him back though; after I finished the mission I bowled him over with my horse and galloped away before he could get up. Hopefully that doesn’t gently caress with my “low aggression” status.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Hmm, I’m not sure. Glad he didn’t think to try that either I guess.

What happens if you die? Either to bandits or players? Do you just get back up or does it fail the sale?

I got him back though; after I finished the mission I bowled him over with my horse and galloped away before he could get up. Hopefully that doesn’t gently caress with my “low aggression” status.

Pretty sure if you are killed you're just respawned nearby. That's what happened when a dickbag dynamited my delivery, at least.

Edit: i did get a massively reduced payout, though, due to going from a full delivery to a single bag. I've only done local deliveries since.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 3, 2019

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I always make sure to get the wagon in the safe spot before I engage the baddies. Whenever I've died, I respawn nearby and because my wagon was already in the safe zone, I get the full payment.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I hate the players who take defensive mode as an aiming challenge. Assholes.

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I hate the players who take defensive mode as an aiming challenge. Assholes.

Stop shooting them first then. If they attack you first, they lose defensive mode. If you stop engaging, they can't do anything.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jandipoo posted:

Stop shooting them first then. If they attack you first, they lose defensive mode. If you stop engaging, they can't do anything.

Do they? I could swear that when the guy last night shot me and his dot turned red, I still couldn't auto-aim him.

I was in defensive mode, if that wasn't implied hard enough

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Do they? I could swear that when the guy last night shot me and his dot turned red, I still couldn't auto-aim him.

I was in defensive mode, if that wasn't implied hard enough

You can't autoaim or be autoaimed in defensive regardless of hostility. If he shot you first, you can defend yourself and not lose defensive. Buy a shotgun and abuse the 80% damage reduction defensive gives you.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Jandipoo posted:

I definitely didn't shoot them first. They shot my horse and killed me as I revived it.

Jandipoo posted:

You can't autoaim or be autoaimed in defensive regardless of hostility. If he shot you first, you can defend yourself and not lose defensive. Buy a shotgun and abuse the 80% damage reduction defensive gives you.

Yeah, exactly. They can't auto aim. That's what I meant by "an aiming challenge."

Edit: wait, did you think I meant I was shooting the people in defensive? I meant when I am in defensive, people shoot me and it's loving annoying. I am in defensive for a reason.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 4, 2019

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

The PVE vs PVP debate will still be raging under Martian habitation domes but in this instance, take the game as it is (an amalgam of both) and there isn't much to get mad at.

Defensive gives you a huge boost against one shot ganks, but it isn't a free pass to treat online as a single player mod even if it's so effective it can feel that way sometimes. You'll have a lot more fun if you engage with the spirit of the game and have one eye open every time a blip enters your sphere of influence with a finger over the best fight ender you have in your possession. Defensive also makes it much easier to escape (and sometimes peacing out is the smartest choice) since your blip fades out quite rapidly compared to offensive mode.

It's not just fun, it's extremely fuckin' fitting to the theme and setting of the game! The occasional will they won't they of encounters frequently livens up what could otherwise be a very monotone grind against inconsequential NPCs.

(And most importantly, if you get owned and feel the red mist of vengeance descending, just parley before everyone is a hundred bucks and bullets lighter and no better off for it.)

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I'm still gonna get pissed off when I have a horse loaded with perfect carcasses and one being dragged behind (full hunting wagon), stop to collect a wildflower, and have my horse shot by someone sniping, then get picked off while reviving it. If I didn't lose four carcasses I wouldn't have been even nearly annoyed enough to post.

I am fine with PVP, but would prefer to have it at my own convenience or choosing, and I'm not sorry for that. :shrug:

Edit: In other matters, I am trying to complete this daily challenge to cook some flaky fish, but none of the fish I just caught are showing in the cook menu. What's up with that?

Edit 2: Nvm. Figured it out. Kinda weird you have to break them down and nothing else, but okay.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 4, 2019

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
:shrug: I've been pretty lucky. I just started playing online again a few weeks ago and I've only had one person try to gently caress around with me. If I see red blips, I just give them a nice wide berth and will generally session hop to avoid it. I like to play my cowboy mmo in peace.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
This is worth the double post. Red Dead Redemption 2 is officially coming to PC on November 5th. Pre-order bonuses include:

War horse for story mode
Treasure map for story mode
Cash bonus for story mode
50 gold bars for online

More details will be released on Oct 9.

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1180130037519044608

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I'm still gonna get pissed off when I have a horse loaded with perfect carcasses and one being dragged behind (full hunting wagon), stop to collect a wildflower, and have my horse shot by someone sniping, then get picked off while reviving it. If I didn't lose four carcasses I wouldn't have been even nearly annoyed enough to post.

Thank you for pulling through and posting this regardless !! :roflolmao:

Oh man I had so much fun doing a bounty last night that had nothing to do with the bounty. It was just a single $ one, but I started it in Annesburg and the little four-note theme starts playing right away and continuously once you start it (kinda reminds me of that bass line motif from Inglourious Basterds), even though the target was way out west in the Grizzlies. So I’m trotting along up the hill where the miners are and must’ve brushed past a NPC security guard while in the quick menu because he said—and I quote—“I could blow you away and the law wouldn’t give a drat!!” So I looked backwards while still riding straight and waited to see if he would fire first. He actually did and I popped him simultaneously in the head, got off my horse and took cover behind some crates because like a dozen more guys started coming up the hill. All the while this bounty music still playing and I’m blowing these guys away with the double barreled shotgun as they yell poo poo like “You do know yr gonna die, right?” When the coast was clear I got back on my horse (Appaloosa 4 lyfe) and got on my way to the bounty. It felt so cool.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Transmogrifier posted:

This is worth the double post. Red Dead Redemption 2 is officially coming to PC on November 5th. Pre-order bonuses include:

War horse for story mode
Treasure map for story mode
Cash bonus for story mode
50 gold bars for online

More details will be released on Oct 9.

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1180130037519044608

poo poo, new computer time.

Id still be playing rdr1 online if the console community hadn't evaporated like they always do.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I just bought a RTX 2070 Super. Yeeee haw

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Welcome to the party, pals.

If you missed RDR1 because no console, I'd recommend coming into RDR2 blind.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If you get it for the PC I'd still use a controller for it, to be honest. The UI is supremely clunky, even at the best of times and movement is so deliberate I couldn't see using anything other than analogue to move around since digital would be supremely finicky with the kind of game Rockstar made. Lining up red-eye will be easier but I think everything else will be needlessly finicky in a game where that's like the standard.

May be better in Online, though.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I knew page 420 would bring us good news. I'll see how good this looks on my old 970, play some online for a while, then sometime next year upgrade and replay the story most likely.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Jimbot posted:

If you get it for the PC I'd still use a controller for it, to be honest. The UI is supremely clunky, even at the best of times and movement is so deliberate I couldn't see using anything other than analogue to move around since digital would be supremely finicky with the kind of game Rockstar made. Lining up red-eye will be easier but I think everything else will be needlessly finicky in a game where that's like the standard.

May be better in Online, though.

I was just kind of wondering about this.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
hell yes. let's get some RP servers. let's get those 100-person lobbies. let's see goods deliveries turn into existential nightmares

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao

it's finally coming to PC!*

*except steam**

**for one month????

did epic try to pay them for exclusivity but then rstar being rstar found a way to take their money and still get a steam release this year?

real talk though, "new story content" has me a little hyped

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Babe Magnet posted:

lmao

it's finally coming to PC!*

*except steam**

**for one month????

did epic try to pay them for exclusivity but then rstar being rstar found a way to take their money and still get a steam release this year?

real talk though, "new story content" has me a little hyped

rockstar found a way to extract the most money out of this by getting people to use their launcher for a month or two of sales, got money from epic, and then before the year's over they get a bunch of steam sales.

edit: the new story content are more bounty hunter mission things or something

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
I don't know if I'm just lucky, but I've been getting a decent amount of hunting done in Great Plains and Rio Bravo/Tumbleweed areas.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
is there a way to make the aguilar machete a part of your permanent inventory? it seems i can only equip it from the horse which frustrates me greatly when i wanna kill dudes with a sword

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I wanna see some system requirements before double dipping.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Is there any chance that you'll be able to move your PS4 save to a PC save? I love the game, but it was so painful and difficult to play on console controls. I'd be more eager to buy it on PC if I could continue my progress there without having to totally restart.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

JosefStalinator posted:

Is there any chance that you'll be able to move your PS4 save to a PC save? I love the game, but it was so painful and difficult to play on console controls. I'd be more eager to buy it on PC if I could continue my progress there without having to totally restart.

I doubt it will be possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Maybe a one-way transfer for online but I wouldn't hold my breath for single player saves.