Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

God I wish I could make a female character and not feel like a degenerate

...? Not hard bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Thumbtacks posted:

Just...wear the normal t-shirt and skirt outfit, or the outfit which has a button-up shirt with tie and shorts/skirt?

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 2, 2019

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Thumbtacks posted:

Its cool, everyones a degenerate in this apocolyptic not-vampire wasteland.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

I'm going to buy this when I get home tonight;
Are there any hints/tips/things I should know before I play?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
don't overlevel and don't pump all your money into levels

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

General Morden posted:

don't overlevel and don't pump all your money into levels

Why is that? Overleveling doesn't seem that bad when everything seems to kill you in 3 hits.

Never noticed the slower gain for mastery from levels. It seems to be based on the haze cost to unlock the gift.

Drakes fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 2, 2019

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

pumping your haze into leveling is fine but you should also be sure and explore different codes for different gifts you might want

people say overleveling makes it much harder to gain gift mastery but that's overblown, plus you can get the consumables to master gifts anyway

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh my god

Oh no

This game has (late game boss) Ornstein and Smough :gonk:

I think that's enough for tonight

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

that boss was a HUGE jump in difficulty for me, and the depths version is so much worse

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm gonna have to throw away my usual gimmick of using whatever build has come up in rotation and actually make myself as powerful as possible for this one

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
NG+ Endgame boss Cannoneer & Blade Bearer solo.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/489116686

I don't think it's a well designed fight but I think just removing the fireball and pillars and maybe improving the cues a bit would make it a much more fun fight

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Turncoat Mommy posted:

NG+ Endgame boss Cannoneer & Blade Bearer solo.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/489116686

I don't think it's a well designed fight but I think just removing the fireball and pillars and maybe improving the cues a bit would make it a much more fun fight

I wish I had taken a screen shot of my map of that area as it looked very similar to yours.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

this game's pretty good

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I love how much stupid poo poo you can do in the character creator.

:allears:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I was big into Dark Souls and Bloodborne and I'm looking for another RPG where I can just go around unlocking lots of different crap and essentially turn my brain off after work. It sounds like this could be just the ticket if I play through with a companion and just wander around getting new swords and jaunty capes to wear and poo poo?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sure I guess

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
it's straight up anime dark souls so yea

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Drunken Baker posted:

I was big into Dark Souls and Bloodborne and I'm looking for another RPG where I can just go around unlocking lots of different crap and essentially turn my brain off after work. It sounds like this could be just the ticket if I play through with a companion and just wander around getting new swords and jaunty capes to wear and poo poo?

Yeah this is it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I don't usually play casters, but there is something satisfying about farming up a ton of ichor, equipping what I call '8 different versions of fireball', and then immediately sending a boss to the shadow realm.

RIP Dark Knight guy, maybe in NG+ I'll see what your attacks are.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Excellent! Looking forward to getting stuck in.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

I don't usually play casters, but there is something satisfying about farming up a ton of ichor, equipping what I call '8 different versions of fireball', and then immediately sending a boss to the shadow realm.

Magic is stupidly powerful in this game if you invest into it. I've been running a Light-focused build with Eos, and the conal ice attack you get from Fionne makes larger enemies just straight up explode.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah the stat scaling on veils for magic is really noticeable. Even just a hundred points added almost a 1000 damage to the B scaling spells.

It took me awhile to find out but I think the required stat listed for the spell also doubles as the scaling stat. Makes it a lot easier to sift the lemons from the good ones.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Are there any quality of life things to know going in blind?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Drunken Baker posted:

Think the big one that isn't related to mechanics is that there's two quick item menus. When you go into your main character screen, there's a bar of items and that assigns to the D-Pad. You can also click on the touchpad while playing normally to bring up a second quick item use that you customize right there.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Uh, and the most important third quick item menu - double click the left stick in to do emotes.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
There's also a whole help menu that explains a ton of terms and mechanics.

Rascyc posted:

It took me awhile to find out but I think the required stat listed for the spell also doubles as the scaling stat. Makes it a lot easier to sift the lemons from the good ones.

It does. Every skill scales off its required stat, and gunshots scale off dexterity. Your veil choice is a huge source of damage for your spells, as well.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

I literally just did the same lol. I never play casters in souls-like because you're supposed to be alone most of the time but the AI in this game is pretty competent.

I'm having fun with this game but gently caress whoever designed not-anor londo It's way too long and everything looks the same so it's super easy to get lost. Oh, and did I mention the path forwards sometimes requires you to spot platforms that you can fall on so I hope you thoroughly look at those samey paths. And don't ever try to run because the main enemy type of the area has a teleport move that can track you.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

this game's pretty good

Yeah I’ve been having fun with it too

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Drunken Baker posted:

- The run button (R1) doubles as an attack modifier that changes you heavy and light attacks. Every weapon also has a heavy charge attack, some of which are really good (looking at you, Assassin’s Sickle).

- Just like Dark Souls, your weight affects the distance, speed, and iframes of your dodge. The mobility stat computes all that for you for each equipped weapon - normal mobility is the typical roll, heavy is the fat roll, and light is an awesome bloodborne-style dash, but with even more distance and a ton of iframes. I think mobility also affects attack speed.

- Occasionally you’ll want to teleport back through areas you’ve already cleared to see if there are any side quests available. Side quests will show up as a person icon with an exclamation point and are visible on the minimap from anywhere in the zone, so it’s enough to teleport to a single mistle point per zone.

- You can use accessories to give any character a nice beard and mustache.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It is with a heavy heart that I admit I don't have what it takes to tackle the Spire boss solo

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
is there a firewall issue if i'm getting "no distress signals found" with no restrictions at all? I find that hard to believe.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
It's not a good fight and it's rough as hell, but it is winnable. You can do it, anyone can do it. All you need is the willingness to try again.

Turncoat Mommy fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 2, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Turncoat Mommy posted:

It's not a good fight and it's rough as hell, but it is winnable.

Yeah I believe it is, but at this point I think I'd rather just use a partner and move on. My first few attempts with a partner haven't trivialized it so I think it'll still be fun.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My partner just told me "Trying again is more constructive than getting depressed" lmao

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

But what if I keep failing? :ohdear:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Don't Give Up Skeleton

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I did it, that was a lot more fun when not getting constantly sniped mid swing and stunlocked to death.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Regy Rusty posted:

I did it, that was a lot more fun when not getting constantly sniped mid swing and stunlocked to death.

Yeah, that one skill is a huge hindrance to the enjoyment of the fight.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Stickman posted:

- Just like Dark Souls, your weight affects the distance, speed, and iframes of your dodge. The mobility stat computes all that for you for each equipped weapon - normal mobility is the typical roll, heavy is the fat roll, and light is an awesome bloodborne-style dash, but with even more distance and a ton of iframes. I think mobility also affects attack speed.

I've been using drain rating to measure attack speed, weapons with high rating hit slower. Lower rating means it hits faster. I pretty much went through 80% of the game without knowing that holding R1 modifies your attack. Its weird but I find it hard to get into the habit of blocking in this game.

Regy Rusty posted:

It is with a heavy heart that I admit I don't have what it takes to tackle the Spire boss solo

Get the gifts buff ice/fire resist, then use the active gift that extends buff duration. I called for help for those fights, still not easy with the random poo poo flying around and everyone biting the dust.

Drakes fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Also the invasion mechanic where the game literally teleports wave after wave of enemies to you can get hosed.