Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I have vague memories of catching some slasher movie on cable where the final girl and the female killer switch places at the end and the killer rides away in the ambulance while everyone thinks the final girl is the murderer. Did I imagine this, or is this a real movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was watching Maniac Cop and I thought I recognized the actor of the cop who gets shot in the face as Ron Eldard, who was in Justified and Drop Dead Fred. The role’s not listed on imdb and it’s not on Eldard‘s imdb page either, what do you guys think?

E: spoilered for fake gore

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

I have vague memories of catching some slasher movie on cable where the final girl and the female killer switch places at the end and the killer rides away in the ambulance while everyone thinks the final girl is the murderer. Did I imagine this, or is this a real movie?

Sounds kinda like the end of Killer Party, but they both ride away in the same ambulance in the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSbACF9xPFw

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Brad Dourif's best role was pretty much indisputably Saavedro in Myst 3. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
My intro to Brad Dourif was the X-Files episode Beyond the Sea, which remains one of my favorites from the series.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alien Resurrection homies.

“You are a beautiful butterfly “

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Wiggy Marie posted:

My intro to Brad Dourif was the X-Files episode Beyond the Sea, which remains one of my favorites from the series.

its shocking that an episode so good is so early in the first season. x files really came out swingin and dourif going toe to toe with anderson is so good

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You jerks had me scared that something had happened to Brad Dourif.

I saw the 4k restoration of The Shining last night, and couldn't believe how much of that film I'd forgotten. My friend asked if they'd added footage, so it wasn't just me.

Sadly they weren't giving away the new cool poster, and the Doctor Sleep stuff looked like a made-for-webisodes adaptation after seeing the real deal. They recreated the blood elevators with the fakest blood, and the whole vibe seemed to be "Hey remember the Shining? Scary right?"

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Well the book is very good for early 2010s Stephen King. I hope the movie is good as well.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

ruddiger posted:

Sounds kinda like the end of Killer Party, but they both ride away in the same ambulance in the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSbACF9xPFw

killer party has one of craziest opening scenes ever in a horror movie

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Watched 'Ravenous' for the first time for October - few thoughts: 90s Guy Pierce was HELLA good looking, Jeffery Jones always was a joy to watch (too bad he's a sex pervert) and the film never really settled on whether it was a horror comedy or playing it straight. There are sequences which are definitely played for laughs, like when Colonel Ives reveals himself and murders the whole hunting party to banjo music, but then the whole back half of the movie is a grim deathmarch. Dunno how I feel about it all told - but was definitely glad to watch it.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think this might be the ending of Scream 4. Not like the full ending, but they bring the killer to the hospital and have the whole media circus around her survival in full effect there.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

Jeffery Jones always was a joy to watch (too bad he's a sex pervert)

What hits me hardest about his performance is how well he played the fatherly mentor and then thinking about his real life actions, it's just kinda yucky. I still love Ravenous, that's just a terrible black mark on the movie that's no one's fault.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i wish damon albarn got to do more scores, Ravenous' music is really odd and great

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

alf_pogs posted:

i wish damon albarn got to do more scores, Ravenous' music is really odd and great

Yeah, Trek To The Cave, The Cave, Cannibal Fantasy and Manifest Destiny are all incredible pieces.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

moths posted:

I saw the 4k restoration of The Shining last night, and couldn't believe how much of that film I'd forgotten. My friend asked if they'd added footage, so it wasn't just me.

Sadly they weren't giving away the new cool poster, and the Doctor Sleep stuff looked like a made-for-webisodes adaptation after seeing the real deal. They recreated the blood elevators with the fakest blood, and the whole vibe seemed to be "Hey remember the Shining? Scary right?"

Hey me too! That film is great, and I'd completely forgotten huge chunks of it.

I am concerned that Doctor Sleep is relying heavily on Shining imagery and music, in much the same way that Bohemian Rhapsody coasted on goodwill simply for the music. It's odd, too, because Stephen King is on record as not liking the original, right? And now he's kind of embracing it?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Splint Chesthair posted:

Man, if you ever wanted a horror movie that’s 25 percent dudes arguing about who’s taking a board game home, Witchboard is for you.

My favorite thing about Witchboard is that it contains multiple scenes of people arguing about spelling.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I loving looooooooove Ravenous. It also has one of the single best scores in all of filmdom.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I can understand how on first viewing the tone of Ravenous could be off-putting, but I think you really see how it makes the whole film on rewatch. Without the humor it would be too dour, and without the horrific violence it would be an ineffective comedy. The two coming together in such a unique mix is what makes it memorable and worth revisiting.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
A podcast I enjoy called The Faculty of Horror did an episode on Ravenous:

EPISODE 70. MAN EATER: RAVENOUS (1999)

Loved that movie when I first saw it many years ago but I'm due for a rewatch.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Sarchasm posted:

My favorite thing about Witchboard is that it contains multiple scenes of people arguing about spelling.

Yeah, arguing about spelling, arguing about board game custody and then a guy gets crushed by a stack of drywall sheets. It’s got everything.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

im sick as a dog today so im gonna catch up on the horror challenge work my way thru those shaw brothers reccomendations

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

im sick as a dog today so im gonna catch up on the horror challenge work my way thru those shaw brothers reccomendations

Don't forget to do your write-ups. You'll get overwhelmed if you save them all for later.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Don't forget to do your write-ups. You'll get overwhelmed if you save them all for later.

I also just think it's a more enjoyable read for others if you post one or two movies a day, versus posting like 10 write-ups all at once.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

TOOT BOOT posted:

Might be Cheerleader Camp?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Will do i figured id do them as soon as im done with the movie that way my thoughts on it are fresh in my mind

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I also just think it's a more enjoyable read for others if you post one or two movies a day, versus posting like 10 write-ups all at once.

Absolutely. If you're trying for more than 3 movies in a single post, the write-ups get overwhelming to write and to read.

Kvlt! posted:

Will do i figured id do them as soon as im done with the movie that way my thoughts on it are fresh in my mind

That's what I try to do. For some movies, I can't really articulate how I feel immediately after, so I'll sleep on it and try to write it in the morning. I try not to take longer than that.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I gotta go buy props for my challenge write-ups today. Exciting times I live in.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Kvlt! posted:

Doctor's orders-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wjq43_WpMg

Gorge on that spooky dick until your strength returns.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Doctor's orders-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wjq43_WpMg

Gorge on that spooky dick until your strength returns.

Omg thank you for this I was literally just looking for this on VOD services and couldnt find it. Perfect movie for a sick day i think

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

That's what I try to do. For some movies, I can't really articulate how I feel immediately after, so I'll sleep on it and try to write it in the morning. I try not to take longer than that.

I watched Cure last night and am having a hard time articulating why I liked it so much, it's a film that deserves more than a paragraph or two. It might be a real short write up.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

after Boxer's Omen, i was thinking about the Blood Spattered Bride? Anyone seen it? Any good?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

after Boxer's Omen, i was thinking about the Blood Spattered Bride? Anyone seen it? Any good?

I like it. It's probably my favorite adaptation of Carmilla. I remember it having a dreamy lethargic pace, though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kvlt! posted:

Have to generally echo Franchescanado. But it's very intense to me for a while. Somewhere around the second act though is when it really slows down. As far as adaptations of Carmilla go it's definitely high up there (probably my favorite also).

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Follow Boxer's Omen immediately with Devil Fetus, both Black Magics, Human Lanterns, and Seventh Curse imo. Just binge it all.

edit: Related, anyone check out Succubare yet? It's on some streaming same-director recommendation list for me now and I'm waffling on the premise, but the capsule does start with "Excellent kung-fu horror" so how bad could it be...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Irony.or.Death posted:

Follow Boxer's Omen immediately with Devil Fetus, both Black Magics, Human Lanterns, and Seventh Curse imo. Just binge it all.

edit: Related, anyone check out Succubare yet? It's on some streaming same-director recommendation list for me now and I'm waffling on the premise, but the capsule does start with "Excellent kung-fu horror" so how bad could it be...

Succubare is unfortunately very bad despite a fun+promising start and it being a little more specific/historically accurate regarding its costumes/how its magic works/etc. But it's also one of the earlier things with Carter Wong in it which is pretty cool.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Is there seriously nowhere to view Boxer's Omen with English subtitles? That's kind of hosed up.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Anyone have quick thoughts on The Golem? It looks pretty well reviewed and it's on Netflix. Thinking about watching it tonight.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Neo Rasa posted:

Is there seriously nowhere to view Boxer's Omen with English subtitles? That's kind of hosed up.

Rip the video from youtube using very legal, very cool software.
Get subtitles from subscene.
Sync the subtitles.
Enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
EDIT-- ehh bordering closer to piracy than I'm comfortable with.