Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

call routing is easy actually.

It's NEC SV9500
Avaya is bullshit.
Cisco is actually not bad except they DO NOT play well with anything else.

I personally like Asterisk based stuff but whatever I'm not complaining.

Ooh, I've never touched a NEC. Seen them in the wild, but never actually worked on one. I work for a multi-vendor VAR with a UC emphasis on Cisco, so in the rare instances that I have to pull up my sleeves and wade into the unified communications swamp, the worst I may have to deal with is UCCX scripting.

Avaya is indeed bullshit. Despite being an Extreme partner, I think we pretty much outright avoid any case where we'd have to touch an Avaya phone system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

The gently caress is wrong with me why am I looking for EJ20 shortblocks on ebay I have a sickness

Me: this 4.0 TJ is nice and torquey and reliable

Also me: it's not a LS

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Adiabatic posted:

The gently caress is wrong with me why am I looking for EJ20 shortblocks on ebay I have a sickness

SELF CONTROL

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nebakenezzer posted:

Just to amuse the thread: moar clippings

No idea about this, as you can imagine it is difficult to google

high effort name there

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

AI does tend to be well behaved but no one probated at all? That's hard to believe.

I have not been performing to expectations. :(

Edit: AI alcoholics, advise me. I've been drinking 2-3 beers nightly for a while. Like a couple years. I like beer. I thought I'd build up some kind of need for it, but on Tuesday nights this semester, I teach a class that goes until almost 9:00pm. When I get home, I have zero desire for beer. I just drink water and have some foods and go to bed.

Is that normal? Does it take drinking a larger volume on the daily to become dependant? Or am I just not inclined to dependency?

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 2, 2019

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Congratulations on your non-problem? Reality check: You probably have a higher tolerance than you realize and that is due to your consumption. If you really wanna know if you have a dependency or not, try to not drink tomorrow night or the night after as well.

I drink a 2-6 a night most nights. Haven't had a single one tonight. Had two last night, four the night before. I'm off tomorrow, maybe I should do some drinking...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Kazinsal posted:

Ooh, I've never touched a NEC. Seen them in the wild, but never actually worked on one. I work for a multi-vendor VAR with a UC emphasis on Cisco, so in the rare instances that I have to pull up my sleeves and wade into the unified communications swamp, the worst I may have to deal with is UCCX scripting.

Avaya is indeed bullshit. Despite being an Extreme partner, I think we pretty much outright avoid any case where we'd have to touch an Avaya phone system.

They just got bought by Ring Central too so that at least takes them from

to

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

meatpimp posted:

I've been drinking 2-3 beers nightly for a while. Like a couple years. I like beer. I thought I'd build up some kind of need for it,

I've been doing the same, but for a lot longer, and every-time I would try to quit I would get cravings that I would give into without much resistance. I don't have the strongest will-power but I also wasn't super concerned either because I haaaate the feeling of being drunk; I just enjoyed beer (all the time). What finally got me over the hump was shameful NA beer, which was close enough in taste to sooth my reptilian cravings, and now I'm more than 2 months alcohol free. I'm working on my other habit by subbing it with CBD flower and my younger self would be so ashamed.

'Grats on being able to easily flip the off-switch, though. I wish i had that ability.

edit;

Unrelated;
I sat in and drove a NA Miata for the first time last month and I'm almost set on finding one for ourselves but I'm also having this internal crisis because my love for cars and driving directly conflicts with what I feel about the future w/r/t climate change and my responsibilities. gently caress

stone soup fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 2, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

meatpimp posted:

I have not been performing to expectations. :(

Edit: AI alcoholics, advise me. I've been drinking 2-3 beers nightly for a while. Like a couple years. I like beer. I thought I'd build up some kind of need for it, but on Tuesday nights this semester, I teach a class that goes until almost 9:00pm. When I get home, I have zero desire for beer. I just drink water and have some foods and go to bed.

Is that normal? Does it take drinking a larger volume on the daily to become dependant? Or am I just not inclined to dependency?

All of that depends entirely on the individual.

I've always had a high tolerance to alcohol/benzos/narcotics. Combine that with an alcoholic father and having to go to AA and outpatient rehab after getting busted with a gram of weed in college (seriously?) and it really makes you consider if you have a problem. At one point they had me convinced I was actually addicted to marijuana which in retrospect is laughable.
Fortunately/unfortunately I've known enough people with real dependency problems to know that I'm not one of them. I just know that I like booze and unfortunately I have to drink a ridiculous amount to get drunk.
I'm finally in a place where I can enjoy alcohol guilt-free for the first time in probably close to a decade, but it took a lot of self-reflection to get there.
It turns out I just have a bad habit of delving headlong into new hobbies, and alcohol just happened to be one of them.

Anywho to answer your question with a question, does your drinking (in any amount) cause any sort of problems with you or those around you? Has it gotten you into trouble? Do you find yourself unable to stop once you've started, or if you're sober do you find yourself thinking about your next drink and how to get it?

A revelation for me was that when I hear the words "open bar" I don't get excited, I usually just think, "drat they've probably only got lovely liquor."

On a much more serious note, I haven't ridden a motorcycle in over a year and really the only thing holding me back at this point is motivation to go buy a new battery.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Four days ago one year ago I quit drinking entirely and I also quit having to ask myself these kinds of questions. Maybe try that if you're worried about it enough to comment. I started out just going for one month.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wally Joyner posted:

I sat in and drove a NA Miata for the first time last month and I'm almost set on finding one for ourselves but I'm also having this internal crisis because my love for cars and driving directly conflicts with what I feel about the future w/r/t climate change and my responsibilities. gently caress

1) an individual car is not the issue
2) the Miata is a reasonably efficient car anyway

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I will say AA meetings aren't the most terrible places and you get neat little coins to collect, which is cool if you find yourself becoming addicted to coin-collecting like I did.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Meatpimp please feel free to pm me, a few beers a night might just be a responsible amount. I was 12-20 a night for over 20 years and got to a point it was quit or die pretty much or don’t quit without going through withdrawals and possible seizures. I have a good doctor and am on medicine. I had to be medically detoxed first time. I’d be happy to talk about anything.

In happier news I just scored an AWD SKYLINE WITH 35k actual km for a steal!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Everdave don't you have like 1000 Japanese imports right now, or am I confusing you with someone else?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

having to go to AA and outpatient rehab after getting busted with a gram of weed in college (seriously?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5ybPnY1Ehc

I joke though, I've met people who really shouldn't be smoking weed, or smoking as much weed. I used to wake and bake then smoke all day (almost 20 years ago), but I did that while simultaneously working as a programmer and going to school for comp sci so I guess I was functional.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I’ve sold quite a few lately but I currently own and have 9 imports here or waiting to be shipped from Japan. One skyline is here and I just won another skyline tonight.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

Hey man, good to see you around, can’t remember seeing you post lately, although that could just be me.

I'm still here :) I just don't post so much anymore, and mostly in random other subforums.

Bunch of real life stuff going on, too. Good stuff, thankfully.

bolind posted:

Speaking of airing personal stuff, suffice to say that breaking down crying ten seconds into a one-on-one with your manager is probably not a sign of sustainable stress levels. Taking tomorrow off to decompress a bit.

Take care of yourselves, goons. You might all be manly men, but trust me, you’re next to useless after exploring your breaking point.

After seeing a number of colleagues get ground down by stress, seeing my girlfriend almost break down over her PhD and working conditions, and flirting with a stress breakdown myself, you need a break.

Not just a day. You need to take a several week sick leave, and reduced responsibility/tasks when you come back. Trust me on this.

A stress breakdown fucks up your brain for a long time. No job is worth that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

AI does tend to be well behaved but no one probated at all? That's hard to believe.

Lol at the D&D mods. That place is cancer.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yeah, it doesn't have me either, and I drop one every couple months in GWS.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

everdave posted:

Meatpimp please feel free to pm me, a few beers a night might just be a responsible amount. I was 12-20 a night for over 20 years and got to a point it was quit or die pretty much or don’t quit without going through withdrawals and possible seizures. I have a good doctor and am on medicine. I had to be medically detoxed first time. I’d be happy to talk about anything.

In happier news I just scored an AWD SKYLINE WITH 35k actual km for a steal!

Thanks to all that gave input on meatpimp beerses. I've never had a craving or needed a drink, but I like them. My wife has always encouraged me to drink because it mellows me out. I think part of it is habit and I'm not really concerned about it, I was just wondering. I've seen people that have consumed 12-20 a night and that is entirely foreign to me. I guess it's just a difference in biological makeup / psychological inclinations?

And I'm going to have to have you buy me a car sometime, everdave.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
I'm going to be in Glasgow in December for a holiday and I was wondering if it's worth to book a rental car before the trip, are there any benefits? We'll be doing road trip Glasgow to Edinburgh and have a whole week so places to go and see are also appreciated!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

meatpimp posted:

AI alcoholics, advise me. I've been drinking 2-3 beers nightly for a while. Like a couple years. I like beer. I thought I'd build up some kind of need for it, but on Tuesday nights this semester, I teach a class that goes until almost 9:00pm. When I get home, I have zero desire for beer. I just drink water and have some foods and go to bed.

I drink considerably less but I'd consider your condition "adulthood." If you think it's bad, I'd also suggest trying to cut it out for a bit.

Wally Joyner posted:

I feel you here. It's hitting me too as I've educated myself about it more, especially working in the car industry. I wish I could bike to work and find a job in something to help fight against it rather than contribute to it. :(

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Kivi posted:

I'm going to be in Glasgow in December for a holiday and I was wondering if it's worth to book a rental car before the trip, are there any benefits? We'll be doing road trip Glasgow to Edinburgh and have a whole week so places to go and see are also appreciated!

I can't speak for Glasgow at all, but whenever I've seen people picking up a rental (in Australia) they haven't prebooked, they're paying like 2-10x what I'm paying.

Pick a Whisky distillery to visit. Auchentoshan is near Glasgow. Arran (the Isle and the distillery) are in the wrong direction but probably worth a 2 day detour.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

bolind posted:

Oh, you're also in the rapidly-changing-requirements-with-little-information-all-the-responsibility-with-none-of-the-mandate business? Always nice to meet a colleague.

Yeah. A year ago I got to the point where I want to give them access to a K8s cluster, where they can run their own stacks and be responsible for their own drat mistakes.

meltie fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 2, 2019

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

1) an individual car is not the issue
2) the Miata is a reasonably efficient car anyway

For sure. I get both of these points; there is systemic change that needs to take place on a scale that our family's individual actions don't affect. I saw another goon mention that 7+ million cars will be produced next year. "Buy and drive the Miata, no biggie" a part of me says. This is a once and a life-time trip and will be worth its weight in memories and experience.

The other part of me knows the clock is ticking and that I should be true to myself, my beliefs, and be the change I want to see. Driving is a luxury that I can afford to give up. And, if its true that the global supply chain is under threat, then what the hell am I doing acquiring an asset that could become a liability or worthless in the next 10-15 years?

Suburban Dad posted:

I feel you here. It's hitting me too as I've educated myself about it more, especially working in the car industry. I wish I could bike to work and find a job in something to help fight against it rather than contribute to it. :(

Same. I'm wrestling with myself on this one everyday, probably more than I should, because I tend to over-think things but I want to lead a simpler life so this might be akin to our last hurrah if we go through with it? I dunno I'm just torn. Its comforting to know I'm not the only one feeling this way

stone soup fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 2, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wally Joyner posted:

For sure. I get both of these points; there is systemic change that needs to take place on a scale that our family's individual actions don't affect. I saw another goon mention that 7+ million cars will be produced next year. "Buy and drive the Miata, no biggie" a part of me says. This is a once and a life-time trip and will be worth its weight in memories and experience.

I don't know what your budget is, but the latest generation Miata (ND) is actually pretty drat efficient.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1099281_2016-mazda-mx-5-miata-the-greenest-new-sports-car-you-can-buy

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I've thought about the booze thing myself before, and I personally feel like there's a pretty huge difference between having two or three beers a night and tucking into a case or a bottle every night. I also love beer whether it be Hamm's and Pabst, fancy rear end trappist poo poo, or my own homebrew, usually have a few most nights myself, and generally am drunk at some point most weekends. I also quit drinking for a month earlier this year and it wasn't especially difficult, and by the end of it I wasn't like "gently caress finally I can drink again!" or anything. I think it's mostly personal perspective. If you're getting not sloshed every night, two or three beers probably ain't all that worse than most people having 6 sodas throughout the day :shrug:

MomJeans420 posted:

I joke though, I've met people who really shouldn't be smoking weed, or smoking as much weed. I used to wake and bake then smoke all day (almost 20 years ago), but I did that while simultaneously working as a programmer and going to school for comp sci so I guess I was functional.

This on the other hand is something that kind of irritates me. I have no problem with weed, but I have a couple of friends/acquaintances that cannot show up and hang out without ripping a bong or pipe every twenty minutes. One of them is my friend's roommate and they both get up at like 4:30 and he'll wake up, walk downstairs, and start taking rips before doing anything else every morning.

On the other hand, I just procured some for the first time in years because my girlfriend's prescriptions aren't helping her much with her chemo side effects and she wanted to experiment with it :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

:cheers:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Some jerk will barge in gasping about how cheap beer sucks and you suck for liking it, and they're WRONG.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

all different for everyone but i find i can go without booze fairly easily, but also on weeks like this where i am traveling with colleagues i'm drinking a couple every night

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I usually only drink when I go out for dinner. I have an eating out problem, not a drinking problem :effort:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

i hear this too both working in the industry and also as a consultant. my carbon footprint is astronomical, it's like 3x the national average. blue sky model puts me at a rough estimate of 40 metric tons due to air travel alone.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't even want to look mine up. I'll just get depressed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

all different for everyone but i find i can go without booze fairly easily, but also on weeks like this where i am traveling with colleagues i'm drinking a couple every night

Yeah I'm fine without it, but occasionally I do like my good whiskey/bourbon and normal run-of-the-mill beer. Been drinking Heineken Light lately it's pretty good imo.

I like getting a decent buzz and then maintaining that, but getting drunk is loving horrible. I've learned to walk the line tho and have gotten pretty good at it. Never wake up with a hangover :)

T-Square
May 14, 2009

N-thing that. Every once in a while it's fun to hang out in someone's backyard all day and get hammered and play games, but a good solid buzz is usually my MO as well. Still wake up hungover, but that's because I suck at staying hydrated :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

I don't even want to look mine up. I'll just get depressed.

most of the calculators let you enter up to 3 flights lol

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

slothrop posted:

I can't speak for Glasgow at all, but whenever I've seen people picking up a rental (in Australia) they haven't prebooked, they're paying like 2-10x what I'm paying.

Pick a Whisky distillery to visit. Auchentoshan is near Glasgow. Arran (the Isle and the distillery) are in the wrong direction but probably worth a 2 day detour.
Thanks, that's solid advice, luckily there's plenty of time to hash out our plan. Currently the plan is to stay for a day or two in Glasgow, then rent the car and drive to Isle of Skye, and see what we find between it and Edinburgh during the week. My only worry is that week is not enough and we won't have able sober driver if we hit those distillery's too often.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Kazinsal posted:

Sounds like either an Avaya or a Cisco.

Call routing is haaaaaaaard

Phone systems in general are a shitshow thanks to the truly insane amount of backwards compatibility and 200 years of "standards". I'm watching my co-worker struggle with learning our phone system so the previous phone admin can do more server and network stuff.
We use Avaya, of course.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

They just got bought by Ring Central too so that at least takes them from

to

Ring Central bought who now? We're using both Ring Central and Avaya, and I've not heard of any such thing.
Your infographic is funny, though.

RE: drinking. I like a beer or two some nights, or a glass or shot of something stronger, but most days I don't bother. I will admit that regarding drugs, I was once scared to death I would become addicted to something, so basically never tried anything until relatively recently (weed, in my 40s). Now I want weed to be legal in my state/country, because I know I would most likely be a lot more mellow, lot less angry person.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Darchangel posted:

Phone systems in general are a shitshow thanks to the truly insane amount of backwards compatibility and 200 years of "standards". I'm watching my co-worker struggle with learning our phone system so the previous phone admin can do more server and network stuff.
We use Avaya, of course.

Ring Central bought who now? We're using both Ring Central and Avaya, and I've not heard of any such thing.
Your infographic is funny, though.

RE: drinking. I like a beer or two some nights, or a glass or shot of something stronger, but most days I don't bother. I will admit that regarding drugs, I was once scared to death I would become addicted to something, so basically never tried anything until relatively recently (weed, in my 40s). Now I want weed to be legal in my state/country, because I know I would most likely be a lot more mellow, lot less angry person.

Hmm I can't seem to find any news articles on it actually, but I thought it was for certain.
I know there was talk of Ring Central and Mitel both making a play to purchase Avaya back in August.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Hmm I can't seem to find any news articles on it actually, but I thought it was for certain.
I know there was talk of Ring Central and Mitel both making a play to purchase Avaya back in August.

Here you go:
https://www.channele2e.com/investors/avaya-buyout-decision-this-week/

tl, dr: Bids, talks, but no actual anything yet.