Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

i still miss full screen album covers when you're playing music :/

yeah same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

infernal machines posted:

based on what fucks up i'd say there are a lot of things that will corrupt the sqlite db in exciting and novel ways

on top of that there's APFS which has replaced HFS+ as the main filesysytem which is still a work in progress and almost totally undocumented at the bare metal level, that now the defacto filesytem for both iOS and macOS.

it's got bugs that people are only now encountering that are so bad that the only fix is to clone the entire drive to another APFS partition and pray it doesn't repeat itself

Because of Apple's idiotic refusal to provide low level documentation of the detail they used to provide for HFS+ the two major Mac disk repair utilities either can't even parse APFS or do more than pretend to analyze the drive with the same feedback you get from fsck.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
apple's own disk utility can't work with apfs volumes without making GBS threads itself in a bunch scenarios, up to and including cloning the volume if you happened to be using time machine for backups

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
big fan of the current music app

how to get to the currently playing track
open contro center
long press on the music bubble
click on the song
click on the bottom bar
click on the album name

I n t u i t i v e

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

click home button (or do the iPhone X swipe thing)
open music app
click currently playing bar

if you do it some other ridiculous roundabout way, that’s on you

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh it’s already showing the currently playing track in the bar so I guess you don’t actually have to click on it

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

you drag down from the top to show notifs etc and it shows the currently playing song you helpless babies

I'm high and stupid and knew that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Binary Badger posted:

Because of Apple's idiotic refusal to provide low level documentation of the detail they used to provide for HFS+ the two major Mac disk repair utilities either can't even parse APFS or do more than pretend to analyze the drive with the same feedback you get from fsck.

idk if it's idiotic so much as that it's extremely complicated

apfs is, as i understand it, an lvm system and a filesystem and encryption layers and all the fixins, and these features can be nested arbitrarily

edit: that is to say, apfs is so loving complicated that it might be hard to just do a document dump

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Casual Encountess posted:

the facial recognition in photos when it works owns bones. i do not like than you can’t really manually tag faces for it and if i could get this working 100% it would make my social media management that much easier

this owns

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

but the best feature is the unknown callers not ringing your phone now. that rules.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

my stepdads beer posted:

but the best feature is the unknown callers not ringing your phone now. that rules.

this is the best feature by far.

worst feature is that I woke up this morning to another ios update.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Wild EEPROM posted:

big fan of the current music app

how to get to the currently playing track
open contro center
long press on the music bubble
click on the song
click on the bottom bar
click on the album name

I n t u i t i v e

why did you do it that way

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

my stepdads beer posted:

this works really well except when you’re trying to get food delivered

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
wtf this swipe type thign doesnt even work with my language

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

here are ur new airpods, yosepose

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
oh wow there’s actually a non-zero chance I would buy them, if they have them tips my hungry ear holes crave

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

my primary audio sources are bluetooth speakers but i would absolutely consider airpods if they were waterproof.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

my primary audio sources are bluetooth speakers but i would absolutely consider airpods if they were waterproof.
they aren't advertised as waterproof but they have some sort of hydrophobic netting on the inside that makes them totally fine to use in the rain. there are lots of videos on youtube of people dropping them in buckets of water and playing music through them while submerged.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

also i think this is my first time seeing u outside of bosthread. welcum to yospos

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
i looked at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207009 and am i reading this correctly in that the only way to change the volume while using airpods is to either take your phone out of your pocket or to use siri?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

pretty much every expensive thing i own has to pass the “ride through an explosive downpour on my bicycle” test and i have a great set of gear that is very all weather. i’m very careful with my items but everything i own takes a beating from my lifestyle

i can’t recommend ueboom speakers enough between being waterproof and shockproof they own bones

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i looked at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207009 and am i reading this correctly in that the only way to change the volume while using airpods is to either take your phone out of your pocket or to use siri?

I typically use my watch.

Otherwise yes. You can mute/pause by taking them out or tapping one of them, though.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
amateur hour is over. do airpods have office 365 integration? didnt think so

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pram posted:

amateur hour is over.

no, that was RIM/bby

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

is the apple watch reasonably waterproof?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

pram posted:

gonna advance to the next slide by tapping my earpiece

or saying "cortana, next slide please"

this changes everything

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

the guy who works on twitteriffic swims in the ocean every day with one

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i can’t recommend ueboom speakers enough between being waterproof and shockproof they own bones
same and they also sound amazing, the ue boom 2 i got for like $80 last black friday is my best purchase of the last couple years

50 meters, yes

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

klafbang posted:

I typically use my watch.

Otherwise yes. You can mute/pause by taking them out or tapping one of them, though.

i didn't think about the watch, that makes sense

i occasionally use the pack-in wired earbuds when i want headphones i can easily stash in a pocket and the in-line controls are great, volume, pause, next and previous tracks all right there. it would be nice if you could double/triple tap one airpod for volume up/down and double/triple tap the other for next/prev track. combined with pause when you remove one that covers all the common controls as far as i can tell.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i mean i still think the watch is dumb but if it integrates well into riding bikes i could at least contemplate buying one.

i think it’s insane that in 2019 apple maps doesn’t have bikes as an option

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

there ought to be a side industry of people (destructively by necessity) gutting old airpods with dead batteries, stuffing the parts into new enclosures after being refreshed

it seems like nice parts

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

pram posted:

those look like stereo bathtub drain plugs

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
The watch is not great for biking. It’s fine for tracking, but you cannot really use it for anything (doing anything requires both hands, using the phone requires half that).

Apple Maps is poo poo for biking and Google Maps does not work without a screen. I have tons of examples of google telling me to turn left when the road turns right and what it means to continue straight after the right turn of the road, or, my favorite, biking on the right side of a canal and getting told every 200m to turn left. Also, google is way to happy sending me on unpaved forest paths because it is marginally shorter.

AirPods are great for music/barely useful nav, but run out of power after just a couple of hours, and Siri doesn’t work reliably in a windy environment. Which is every environment on a bike.

tldr: Apple Watch and AirPods can be used for biking, but are not great.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Apple Watch has a cute little ritual to get the water out of it

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Binary Badger posted:

on top of that there's APFS which has replaced HFS+ as the main filesysytem which is still a work in progress and almost totally undocumented at the bare metal level, that now the defacto filesytem for both iOS and macOS.

it's got bugs that people are only now encountering that are so bad that the only fix is to clone the entire drive to another APFS partition and pray it doesn't repeat itself

the good part about apfs is that the people working on it are really responsive to bug reports and have consistently shipped fixes for bugs we've reported in the very next OS release

the bad part about apfs is that we've reported enough bugs to be able to see a pattern in how fast they can fix them

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

klafbang posted:

The watch is not great for biking. It’s fine for tracking, but you cannot really use it for anything (doing anything requires both hands, using the phone requires half that).

Apple Maps is poo poo for biking and Google Maps does not work without a screen. I have tons of examples of google telling me to turn left when the road turns right and what it means to continue straight after the right turn of the road, or, my favorite, biking on the right side of a canal and getting told every 200m to turn left. Also, google is way to happy sending me on unpaved forest paths because it is marginally shorter.

AirPods are great for music/barely useful nav, but run out of power after just a couple of hours, and Siri doesn’t work reliably in a windy environment. Which is every environment on a bike.

oh gently caress airpods on a bike headphones are dangerous while riding. i’m perfectly fine with the pack in buds for the rare time i’m walking but the airpods are fun

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Pinterest Mom posted:

Apple Watch has a cute little ritual to get the water out of it

d o y o u t a k e i t t o t h e s u c k o f f

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

klafbang posted:

why would you wear headphones while riding? that's fuckin dumb lol