Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

vyelkin posted:

realtalk i will always appreciate tina fey to some extent bc mean girls is a cultural treasure

i always thought liz "why arent more women on death row" lemon was a parody of woke white feminism but now im not so sure that wasnt just an exaggeration of her actual politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yeah stuff is actually happening in Season 3.

My favorite part of season three was that 80s mall capitalism turned out to be a communist plot.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

marvel is making warhammer comics now but they should be making warhammer movies, come on disney start milking that ip for everything just so i can see space marines in a movie

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

i always thought liz "why arent more women on death row" lemon was a parody of woke white feminism but now im not so sure that wasnt just an exaggeration of her actual politics.

I always thought it was fairly obvious it was both

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Not to continue my "let me remind you I'm asian" rants, but I do sincerely appreciate Mindy Kaling's unsympathetic characters on The Office and Mindy Project, because they're nice reminders that the many second generation Asian Americans who came of age in the 80s and 90s, especially if their immigrant parents weren't working class, ended up spoiled brats whose commitment to progressive values is tenuous.

Many of them call the cops and gentrify. Some of them even voted Trump, despite being invested in the American melting pot narrative that Reagan championed.

Unsure how much of it is intentional, or if it's just comedians liking to play unsympathetic characters, period.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it’s pretty pitiful that most reviewers don’t even consider that stories are set in a certain time period to inform its historical context, and not just because they want to produce cool costumes and vintage cars.
death of the author is a fun thought exercise, but that's about it

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Echo Chamber posted:

Not to continue my "let me remind you I'm asian" rants, but I do sincerely appreciate Mindy Kaling's unsympathetic characters on The Office and Mindy Project, because they're nice reminders that the many second generation Asian Americans who came of age in the 80s and 90s, especially if their immigrant parents weren't working class, ended up spoiled brats whose commitment to progressive values is tenuous.

Many of them call the cops and gentrify. Some of them even voted Trump, despite being invested in the American melting pot narrative that Reagan championed.

Unsure how much of it is intentional, or if it's just comedians liking to play unsympathetic characters, period.

considering asian americans are the richest americans on average it wouldn't surprise me to find out of lot of them aren't exactly progressive especially on taxation

asians are the second smallest minority in america (after natives, that genocide was thorough) so despite many immigrating as working class there seems to be just as many rich, educated asian immigrants who immediately position themselves within the pmc class and naturally they are going to adopt the lovely lib politics of pmc whites

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

there is that one indian comedian who lives in signapore i think and jokes about how indian immigrants in almost every other nation are associated with jobs like doctor or engineer but in the nations sharing a border with india they are seen more like mexicans are in america, because it's hard to immigrate somewhere half a world away when you're poor af

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
america set up an immigration system that privileged educated asian doctors and scientists as immigrants, then when they arrived they went 'lmao look all asians are doctors and scientists' and now that's a stereotype

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

vyelkin posted:

america set up an immigration system that privileged educated asian doctors and scientists as immigrants, then when they arrived they went 'lmao look all asians are doctors and scientists' and now that's a stereotype

the stereotype would have stuck to african immigrants if the pervading stereotypes about black people weren't baked into our culture already

but still it's easier for someone with like 20 us dollars to their name to border hop than get on a ship or plane which is why you see a lot of working class south americans coming here but not so many working class africans and asians

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

please don't apologize, you've made some great insights that my white rear end wouldn't have thought of. it's important for pop culture (pardon the overused phrase) to show that PoC characters can be just as flawed as their white counterparts. a major reason why i think shows like Master of None and Insecure suck is that there's no conflict that comes about as a result of a character's personality. things just happen to them and they handle it in extremely boring, unmemorable ways

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

even africans trying to get into europe often end up drowning and the mediterranean is such a calm body of water compared to any open ocean that ancient greek and roman vessels could easily traverse one and completely useless in the other

immigration, like everything else, is so much easier when you are rich

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Percelus posted:

even africans trying to get into europe often end up drowning and the mediterranean is such a calm body of water compared to any open ocean that ancient greek and roman vessels could easily traverse one and completely useless in the other

immigration, like everything else, is so much easier when you are rich
i wouldn't say immigrants from asia are rich, but you have to have a chunk of change and planning in order to get here on stable footing. it's the same with anglophone caribbean immigrants, although most of them have the added wrinkle of being black, which can offset things

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

get that OUT of my face posted:

i wouldn't say immigrants from asia are rich, but you have to have a chunk of change and planning in order to get here on stable footing. it's the same with anglophone caribbean immigrants, although most of them have the added wrinkle of being black, which can offset things

not all immigrants from asia are rich but a large portion are because there are so few asian immigrants in general that the ratio of upper middle class lower upper class asians to working class one is skewed compared to most ethnic groups in america which is why they are on average the richest group of americans

you certainly can immigrate to america if you are poor and asian but your experience will also be a lot different, many rich asian immigrants go straight to suburbia and for the most part can experience life as a pmc white person does albeit with some racism thrown in meanwhile a working class person probably ends up in an urban ethnic enclave struggling to make ends meet like every american immigrant group before them

which comes back full circle, if you live in the suburbs you are probably going to have lovely politics like most suburbanites

Percelus has issued a correction as of 20:19 on Oct 2, 2019

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

of course the billionaire class in america is almost solely white people so rich asian-americans are rich in the sense all pmc are rich, that they aren't up to their eyeballs in debt and wishing death would come

you already have the "too many asian ceos in silicon valley" attitude of steve bannon and the like showing white people are fine with asian-americans doing well to a point but don't want them entering the elite

Percelus has issued a correction as of 20:29 on Oct 2, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Percelus posted:

you certainly can immigrate to america if you are poor and asian but your experience will also be a lot different, many rich asian immigrants go straight to suburbia and for the most part can experience life as a pmc white person does albeit with some racism thrown in meanwhile a working class person probably ends up in an urban ethnic enclave struggling to make ends meet like every american immigrant group before them

which comes back full circle, if you live in the suburbs you are probably going to have lovely politics like most suburbanites
that checks out. i partially grew up in a new growth exurb in New Jersey that had a bunch of families from India move not long after my family moved there. the politics sucked there and i would imagine the kids absorbed it. Indian Americans are the most reliably Democratic demographic among Asian Americans (three-quarters of them), but given that NJ is a very suburban state, i imagine many of them are suburban liberals

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

if we are going to tie this asian-american derail to more pop culture, lets take the two biggest films of recent years featuring almost entirely asian-american or asian actors, crazy rich asians and always be my maybe

crazy rich asians is a movie about a pmc girl that meets a billionaire boy and makes that leap from upper middle class to disgustingly filthy rich, the dream of all lovely upper middle class social climbers

always be my maybe features a failson who has driven the same car since highschool. it is very relatable to me for that reason and also has a p great part for keanu

if you were born to pmc parents in the suburbs maybe being a failchild is the only path to save your soul

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Percelus posted:

crazy rich asians is a movie about a pmc girl that meets a billionaire boy and makes that leap from upper middle class to disgustingly filthy rich, the dream of all lovely upper middle class social climbers
i couldn't make it through 15 minutes of that piece of poo poo movie. the difference in the message of Crazy Rich Asians and Get Out is stark

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 20:50 on Oct 2, 2019

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the only non chinese characters in crazy rich asians are two sikh guys who menace the main character

Also awkafinas entire performance

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

steve-o lends credence to my theory too

his dad is/was a ceo of some fortune 500 (nabisco maybe?) and he was educated in one of those private schools in england that produces tory psychopaths

he was an absolute failchild before jackass, failing out of college and being a stunt clown for a living

now he is rich and famous but still an absolute pauper compared to his former classmates

did being a failchild save steve-o from becoming an evil piece of poo poo?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i mentioned a major problem that Insecure and Master of None have are the lack of PoC characters with any personality flaws, but you'd better believe that they got a ton of critical buzz when they were on the air. i never heard Always Be My Maybe, and i gotta think its lack of acclaim is because it doesn't have a flawed PoC main character. that's disturbing and reveals a lot about mainstream criticism

Serf
May 5, 2011

always be my maybe is a pretty average romcom with one incredible part in the middle that makes the rest of it worth the time

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Percelus posted:

steve-o lends credence to my theory too

his dad is/was a ceo of some fortune 500 (nabisco maybe?) and he was educated in one of those private schools in england that produces tory psychopaths

he was an absolute failchild before jackass, failing out of college and being a stunt clown for a living

now he is rich and famous but still an absolute pauper compared to his former classmates

did being a failchild save steve-o from becoming an evil piece of poo poo?

Pepsi Co. and absolutely it did

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Nick Kroll is also from an obscenely wealthy family, right?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I thought Always Be My Maybe got plenty of press. And it was good.

I couldn't really get into "To All the Boys I've Loved Before", but apparently it left a big impression on GenZ and has a sequel in the works.

Finishing my dumb "asian americans in cinema survey", Searching was surprisingly good.

I have no real cspammy-takes on any of them. All these works, and ones mentioned before, signal a certain "triumph" for Asian American liberals in the representation fight. In my more liberal years, I was more willing to credit the insufferable whiteness of American liberalism for my sense of alienation. But that tension, which was highlighted by whitewashed films like 21 and The Last Airbender a decade ago, has been somewhat resolved... and the Jeff Yangs of Asian America probably want some credit. My attention for seeking out causes of vague alienation in my adult life has shifted from "white liberalism" to "liberalism" in general.

Echo Chamber has issued a correction as of 21:20 on Oct 2, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

My attention for seeking out causes of vague alienation in my adult life has shifted from "white liberalism" to "liberalism" in general.
a lib of any other color is still a lib

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
crazy rich asians is basically just one of those interchangeable korean dramas about the poor girl who gets harassed by a billionaire heir until they fall in love and get married, only remade for western audiences

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

vyelkin posted:

crazy rich asians is basically just one of those interchangeable korean dramas about the poor girl who gets harassed by a billionaire heir until they fall in love and get married, only remade for western audiences
a goon in a different thread said that it was very true to asian romcoms or some other genre of pop culture when i said i didn't like it. ok, so? even if it's culturally accurate, the only happy ending i'd like to see in it is all the characters rounded up, shot, and with their wealth redistributed

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

a goon in a different thread said that it was very true to asian romcoms or some other genre of pop culture when i said i didn't like it. ok, so? even if it's culturally accurate, the only happy ending i'd like to see in it is all the characters rounded up, shot, and with their wealth redistributed

yes, it's a bad genre of pop culture, commonly called the cinderella genre

it serves as a combination of examples of extravagant conspicuous consumption that the viewer can experience vicariously and seek to emulate in real life (characters dress in nice clothes and drive supercars and stay in swanky hotels and own enormous mansions) and wish fulfillment for a society that has resigned itself to a complete lack of real social mobility or equality (sure your life sucks and you have no hope of improving it, but maybe just maybe you could marry a billionaire heir and suddenly become an oligarch!)

if anything crazy rich asians is a mildly less problematic example of this genre because at least the female lead is a competent, capable, successful economics professor instead of, like, a dirt-poor daughter of a janitor like in most examples of the genre

the end goal is the same though, be happy with your working-class or middle-class life because it turns out the billionaires stealing your surplus value are nice people who make funny jokes and are so down-to-earth that they could fall in love with a commoner like you if you just happen to be in the right place at the right time!!!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ready or not was a v enjoyable and well made horror-comedy of manners

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Poor south Asians don't have much problem migrating to the Middle East, it's migrating back that's the problem.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Freaking Crumbum posted:

the boys was ennis trying to out-ennis himself after preacher,

It wasn't tho

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"after preacher" like he didn't have a decade of comics in between including the two best punisher comics ever written, one of which is arguably the best comic of the century so far and inarguably best of the aughts

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The second one is hitman for the record

Also people getting mad about Ennis being edgy and then jacking off to Warren "superhero comics are for dumb babies not like my cool adult comic about hunter s Thompson making people poo poo their pants" Ellis is the most baffling thing

gently caress like, half of planetary

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I just realized I had Ennis and Ellis mixed up

Dickeye need your opinion on from hell because I heard it mentioned recently and jack the ripper was a freemason working for the Victorian British sounds just crazy enough for me

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
best Ellis was the guy who upon gaining superpowers loses his dick and later murders one of his teammates by ripping out his spine and then ceremoniously implanting it in his pelvis as his dick

that's the top tier skill that grants you tv writing gigs

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

StashAugustine posted:

I just realized I had Ennis and Ellis mixed up

Dickeye need your opinion on from hell because I heard it mentioned recently and jack the ripper was a freemason working for the Victorian British sounds just crazy enough for me

I have never read it because Alan Moore is a dude I appreciate and respect but also I don't enjoy most of his books on an emotional level

Like, for me they're like the difference between the blueprints for a house and pictures of a house once it's been lived in

One is very technically impressive, you can tell the person doing it has a lot of skill, but there's no real emotion to it. It's almost clinical and cold. The other doesn't take as much skill but feels more human

Also you realize after your fifth blueprint they all have a room labeled RAPE

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Killjoy posted:

best Ellis was the guy who upon gaining superpowers loses his dick and later murders one of his teammates by ripping out his spine and then ceremoniously implanting it in his pelvis as his dick

that's the top tier skill that grants you tv writing gigs

Oh gently caress I know what this ones called gimme a minute

It's one of his awful avatar books like black summer

Edit no hero

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ruins by warren ellis: if you loved the sincerity of marvels, check out this comic where everyone has lymphoma or debilitating mental illnesses, and yr fav superheroes are mostly cannibals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

not the same as the comic where peter parker bemoans accidentally assassinating his wife w carcinogenic cum spiders