Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Fortunately, it's mostly avoidable - all of the invasion spawn points are fixed and located in dead-end side-paths that usually have one or two pickups at most. You can run in, grab the items, run back out, and die and won't miss anything except the small amount of haze you get for completing the invasion. I don't think any of them have unique completion rewards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I like the invasion spawns

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I do, too - they're a nice challenging change of pace. Except for not-Ando Londo, that one was ridiculous.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

DrManiac posted:

Also the invasion mechanic where the game literally teleports wave after wave of enemies to you can get hosed.

I like those, provided they're spawning a small distance away instead of literally on top of me.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I get the impression that the invasion waves actually spawn at fixed points (though that can change between waves), so if you move the fight away from where they're spawning you'll have a little more breathing room. Doesn't help too much the first time you initiate the invasion, though!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Stickman posted:

I get the impression that the invasion waves actually spawn at fixed points (though that can change between waves), so if you move the fight away from where they're spawning you'll have a little more breathing room. Doesn't help too much the first time you initiate the invasion, though!
Ahahah so the not-Anor Londo one - I ran backwards and up the ladder. The enemies that spawned below, will "respawn" on top of the ladder so you can get some free hits on them that way. They'll either continue to spawn below the ladder and then do the respawn to the top, or they'll spawn in like the previous tower's big room and run to where you are standing. Well I thought hmm this isn't quite broken enough to abuse, what else could I do?

Well it turns out if you climb all the way to the top of the tower, they won't spawn up there but will use the other two spawn spots like I described above. It was also here at the top of the tower I discovered you can do the completely overpowered falling attack from literally any height you just have to be 'falling' period. So I just kept going to the top of the tower and then walking into the stairwell and doing the jump attack with the Zweihander for like 3k damage and staggering everything. Walk back up the two steps and repeat falling attack. After killing a wave, I just ran back down to see what if anything spawned and rinse/repeated the run up the tower+falling attack spam until it was all over.

I don't know why I do the waves myself, they're either super fun or you get the real nasty ones with the Lost that do nothing but run at you and do a charge attack. Those are just absolutely brutal.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
yeah i really enjoy getting gangbanged by 40 breakdancing fucks at once, i agree that's a good gameplay design decision

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
why is there no FIST weapon

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Gamerofthegame posted:

why is there no FIST weapon

The ogre-class blood veils are your fist weapon.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
jesus CHRIST this map is big. this is going to be a nightmare.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm in what I think is the final area and its spooky

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i spent some time in also what i think is the final area and went 'where the heck do I go' for so long before realising there was a separate path from the mistle haha

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Stickman posted:

nope, I'd be ok with them if that was the case. The one that really made me mad was the second cathedral one because it spawns a bunch of the halberd ladies and if you try to run up a ladder or something they'll pop right on top in super closed quarters.

[e] I don't get the bayonet. It's supposed to be a light support weapon for casters right? Why does the projectile cost icor? It doesn't do that much damage and if you're paying anyway you might as well use magic. It takes a bunch of hits to down anything and your hit box is garbage. I switch to a halberd I found and I instantly started sailing through the area with the exact same build. It does way more damage, staggers often, and every hit is a huge AOE.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 2, 2019

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Merilan posted:

i spent some time in also what i think is the final area and went 'where the heck do I go' for so long before realising there was a separate path from the mistle haha

had the exact same experience, facepalmed when i realized what i had been missing the whole time

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

DrManiac posted:

nope, I'd be ok with them if that was the case. The one that really made me mad was the second cathedral one because it spawns a bunch of the halberd ladies and if you try to run up a ladder or something they'll pop right on top in super closed quarters.

[e] I don't get the bayonet. It's supposed to be a light support weapon for casters right? Why does the projectile cost icor? It doesn't do that much damage and if you're paying anyway you might as well use magic. It takes a bunch of hits to down anything and your hit box is garbage. I switch to a halberd I found and I instantly started sailing through the area with the exact same build. It does way more damage, staggers often, and every hit is a huge AOE.

The light support weapon for casters is actually the 1H sword. The bayonet is actually functionally the dagger/knife equivalent of the game - extremely rapid attacks and incredibly high mobility at the cost of poo poo stagger. If built for, the gunshots do very impressive damage for low ichor and can be fired repeatedly in succession with no cooldown.

A good bayonet build isn't a nerd build, it's a high dex dodgy melee build focused around dancing around and butt stabbing and stacking buffs and primarily relying on gunshots as ranged pokes when you can't get in or you need to finish something off.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

speaking of, i found a 1H sword from the endgame area enemies (the argent wolf sword I think?) and it swings *crazy* fast compared to the other 1H swords I've found

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm in what I think is the final area and its spooky

Those were the only traps that really got me, gently caress those roots.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Drakes posted:

Those were the only traps that really got me, gently caress those roots.

Update: I wasn't in the final area yet

Game long

Now I am, got a depths to do first tho

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

How long is the game?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

lunar detritus posted:

How long is the game?

It's pretty long! Definitely comparable to any of the Souls games.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

is there an actual in game timer? I was trying to look for one the other day and realised I can't find it, unless it's on the Load screen

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
The next 2 bosses after the spire boss took me barely hour total to beat, not including time travelling the next zone. It's actually kind of disappointing. Coco let me cheese the poo poo out of the second one so if you're ever struggling in a solo run make sure to check her wares.

If you want to see a NG+ endgame boss get cheesed: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/489422862

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just found one of the last bosses in the depths and all I want to do is scream.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

It feels like they've done a surprisingly good job of balancing stat requirements for gear and gifts with the codes. Like, you can do retarded broken poo poo like buffed heavy melee with a quick dash speed, but you're gonna be giving up all your passive slots to pull that off. I'm really liking it so far. Hopefully the eventual DLC won't introduce blatant power creep except for the ability to color anything and mix-n-match clothing pieces like Warframe. God I'd kill for that.

Merilan posted:

i found a 1H sword from the endgame area enemies (the argent wolf sword I think?) and it swings *crazy* fast compared to the other 1H swords I've found
This seems like the end-all-be-all of 1h swords unless you just really like the ones with innate elemental damage. It's relatively light, does great damage, all the attacks are a nice wide arc, and it looks sexy as gently caress like all the other argent weapons. Really the only downside is that the alt-normal attack is a thrust instead of the cleaver/black sword jump-slam.

lunar detritus posted:

How long is the game?
I'm seeing lots of folks saying 20-40 hours for your first playthrough depending on how much exploration and grinding you do. Right in front of the final boss door myself, with steam showing 48 hours of playtime. I have done a fair bit of grinding going forthe "good" end and capping out all my gear and all gifts mastered and such though.

Edit
Nah that's it as far as I know, don't forget to bring Io with you for the boss fight though. Was more referring to making sure I've completely manually run over every inch of every zone and the materials for capping like 20 pieces of gear and all the gifts in every code and doing all the side quest chains all the way through.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 3, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

sushibandit posted:

I have done a fair bit of grinding going forthe "good" end and capping out all my gear and all gifts mastered and such though.

Do you have to grind for that? I thought it was just saving the successors? Is there more I need to do?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

finished my first playthrough at 23:30

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The hilarious dirty caster trick is to time all those orb abilities for when the boss is phase transitioning. Poor gilded hunter never knew what hit him.

Stacking the drain buff active with the drain up passive gets you so much ichor too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Io is probably literally incapable of sarcasm, but I still can't help but hear it in her voice every time she says "Nothing gets past you, huh?"

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

The fact that you only get companion rep for killing bosses is messed up. You can spend 20 minutes helping somebody clear a level, almost kill their boss and then they don't res you and you miss out. If you got a co-op boss kill every 10 minutes it would still take 67 hours to max it out. Won't somebody think of the trophy fiends?

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Kobogartimer posted:

The fact that you only get companion rep for killing bosses is messed up. You can spend 20 minutes helping somebody clear a level, almost kill their boss and then they don't res you and you miss out. If you got a co-op boss kill every 10 minutes it would still take 67 hours to max it out. Won't somebody think of the trophy fiends?

Find a relatively active depth and limit the search to area only.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Thanks that sounds like a good tip. I also kept getting summoned into some magnitude of new game plus where I get scaled to like 5000 up and my potions do practically nothing. I should have kept up with the curve.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Just beat the church boss, this game gets so much better once you’re more comfortable with the flow of combat and you get some better weapons and codes and also gently caress that area and map forever

How far into the game am I, btw? It feels like I didn’t really discover the REAL plot until just now so my guess is like 30-40% but I have a feeling it’s higher than that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

Just beat the church boss, this game gets so much better once you’re more comfortable with the flow of combat and you get some better weapons and codes and also gently caress that area and map forever

How far into the game am I, btw? It feels like I didn’t really discover the REAL plot until just now so my guess is like 30-40% but I have a feeling it’s higher than that.

That's the halfway point just about

I'm so glad I can finally buy not only steel, but also titanium so I'm fooling around with so many weapons in the final area

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 3, 2019

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I’m still trying to figure out what kind of weapon these bardiches even are, or the sickle. They’re not 2h swords/hammers/axes but I can’t figure out what core they’re for. Louis’ seems like a general all around kind of thing I guess

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Also do all of these side quest people end up giving you cores?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

I’m still trying to figure out what kind of weapon these bardiches even are, or the sickle. They’re not 2h swords/hammers/axes but I can’t figure out what core they’re for. Louis’ seems like a general all around kind of thing I guess

They're in the axe/halberd category. You can flip through each category in your weapon menu. They've got pretty varied stats so some of them are dex based and some are strength based.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I just discovered something. The Blade Dancer and Cannoneer fight in the depths work the same way as their inspirations do in Dark Souls. As in when you kill one the other one has a full heal and powers up.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Just started playing this, got about an hour or two in. It's pretty cool, but honestly all of the things you can equip between classes, weapons, passive/actives is all a bit overwhelming/confusing. I really don't know how I'm supposed to upgrading most of this stuff, plus I feel like a lot of these things share the naming convention of "Blood ____" which makes it even more confusing. I think all of these systems is distracting me a bit from really enjoying the game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Just started playing this, got about an hour or two in. It's pretty cool, but honestly all of the things you can equip between classes, weapons, passive/actives is all a bit overwhelming/confusing. I really don't know how I'm supposed to upgrading most of this stuff, plus I feel like a lot of these things share the naming convention of "Blood ____" which makes it even more confusing. I think all of these systems is distracting me a bit from really enjoying the game.

Ok so here's the deal - the only permanent decisions you need to make are what weapons and blood veils to upgrade. The various tiers of upgrade materials are limited to varying degrees throughout the game. You'll be able to buy as much iron as you want pretty early on, so take anything and everything you want to try to +3. Beyond that, focus on one weapon of each type, and blood veils that will support different kinds of builds. Eventually you can buy everything and can go hog wild.

As for the codes, remember nothing is permanent. You can switch codes around whenever you want. How I do it is I just focus on one at a time and use it until I master all its gifts and then move on to the next one. I only break away from this when I'm on a hard boss and really need to plan things out perfectly. So let the code you're on at the time dictate what weapons and veil you'll be using for the time being.

It's all very fun and varied and it's impossible to screw yourself over. Just try everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

If it's any help, you can't really commit "wrong" in this game; you can keep picking up Gifts and cobbling together a build you like. I'd probably start by focusing on a playstyle you like, whether that's like "big weapons" or "magic" or "guns", and sticking with a Blood Code that complements that (usually the ones that align with your primary stat and have Gifts that give you cool things to do on that front). The game's really open about letting you experiment with completely different builds in a way Souls games aren't, once you're more comfortable and know what you like too.