Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Ok I test drove like 6 different cars today and the golf sportwagen was my favorite by far. The 1.8 did seem a little anemic but it seems like a tune isn't too hard to arrange. If I can find one without a sun roof would I be nuts to put it on a 36 month lease and use it for work, hauling ladder and tools for 3 hours a day in traffic?

Are there any other big bug bears with this car? How long do I have to decide to do this, with the wagon being dropped by VW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Fwiw I love ours. I got a 2015 tdi though. Sunroof overhaul came with mine though. If you find one without a sunroof I would do it. I am pretty sold on the Golf chassis overall. Feels sporty but I like that it isn’t bulky and wasting space or my money. I drove a rental Subaru Outback (for comparison) for a couple weeks and I felt like it was a lot of unneeded bulk for what you get price wise as if it was there just to appeal to American buyers who wanted a bulky pick up.

I want a car, drat it!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

flightless greeb posted:

Ok I test drove like 6 different cars today and the golf sportwagen was my favorite by far. The 1.8 did seem a little anemic but it seems like a tune isn't too hard to arrange. If I can find one without a sun roof would I be nuts to put it on a 36 month lease and use it for work, hauling ladder and tools for 3 hours a day in traffic?

Are there any other big bug bears with this car? How long do I have to decide to do this, with the wagon being dropped by VW?

you have very little time unless you are willing to go with the alltrack. i couldn't find SW 1.8 4motions with a manual transmission in my area and ended up having to buy the alltrack, which was fine. The FWDs are 1.4, the 4motions are 1.8. if you are in a pleasant climate don't bother with the 4motion.

What are people's thoughts between JB4 and APR?

cinder
Aug 25, 2000

DrChu posted:

I had a 2010 GTI with the CBFA that I replaced the stock intake with that new revision and had no problems with reusing the fuel rail. I got mine from DAP along with this install kit (https://www.shopdap.com/intake-manifold-install-kit-for-2-0t-tsi.html) because the updated manifold had a port my original did not.

Thank you! I ordered just the manifold, and the new line that the previous one didn't have. I installed it this weekend and the fuel rail that was on my car swapped over to the new manifold with no problems and fixed the p0215. Holy poo poo, though, that M10 triple square on the bottom of the "post" that supports the intake manifold from underneath was a huge pain in the rear end to remove.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What are people's thoughts between JB4 and APR?

JB4 if you want to keep your warranty.
APR if you want a decent flash tune.
Custom tune if you want something more specific for your car and what mods it has.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How long do you guys think a clutch lasts on a mkv GTI? I'm around 120k kms (~75k miles) and I feel like it's starting to maybe go a bit.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

How long do you guys think a clutch lasts on a mkv GTI? I'm around 120k kms (~75k miles) and I feel like it's starting to maybe go a bit.

I had a clutch and flywheel replaced at about 80,000 but I was also having the entire engine replaced soooo....

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Etrips posted:

JB4 if you want to keep your warranty.
APR if you want a decent flash tune.
Custom tune if you want something more specific for your car and what mods it has.

yeah i have the 6/72 warranty and it's a daily so was thinking JB4. thank you for the confirmation!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Does the JB4 still require tapping the AFR line? That always seemed a pain if you wanted to make the car look stock for warranty service, and also having to fish the OBD through the firewall. I went with the JB1 to avoid all that.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Also, though don't know this for sure, but seems like a JB4 could be detectable for some warranty work, probably depends on what the service is and how deep they want to dig. If somehow PSI values were stored somewhere in the ECU and you blew the turbo, it could be an issue.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah having some second thoughts because i am not totally convinced that just feeding fake data to the ECU is a good idea and it sounds like both a pain and also that i could still get warranty denied

i'm more concerned about the haldex system than anything

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I have a 16 Tiguan with a 2.0L TSI gasoline engine. For some reason though, it sounds kinda like a diesel? Is this thing hosed up, or is this kinda how they sound?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The EA888 is pretty growly due to DI only and some variable lift gear. I assume the engine isn't actually dieseling of course.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
Any engine is a diesel engine if you put diesel fuel in it thinking_head_point.png

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

The engine is definitely not a diesel. It's a TSI, not a TDI.
Despite what this guy

says/thinks, I haven't been putting diesel in it! :laugh:

One thing that I *am* surprised about with this little engine, is how (relatively) peppy it is. We had a 2.0 non-turbo Jetta before this thing, and that thing was brutally slow/had no pickup.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Its direct injection, which is why. Also, the injection/ignition is quiet enough so you can hear the mechanicals even more, which gives you that sewing machine diesel sound

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I'm currently looking for a used wagon and seeing lots of VWs around. Are there any particular reasons to avoid the Jettas with the 2.5l five cylinder?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Its direct injection, which is why. Also, the injection/ignition is quiet enough so you can hear the mechanicals even more, which gives you that sewing machine diesel sound
Thank you. That is the kinda info I was looking for.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

flightless greeb posted:

I kept my Jetta wagon for 13 years before I ditched it for a Golf. If they still made them in that bodystyle I would've snatched a new one up in an instant.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

FancyMike posted:

I'm currently looking for a used wagon and seeing lots of VWs around. Are there any particular reasons to avoid the Jettas with the 2.5l five cylinder?

they probably suffer from all the same shortcomings of I-5 engines, fuel economy is worse than a 4 and power is worse than a 6

cool inline 5s are exempt from this conundrum

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it's a kind of boring lump but it gets the job done while not being very fuel efficient. i think they're pretty reliable.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

The 2.5 had 55 more horsepower than the 2.0 and was rated about 1 MPG less, I think that trade off would be well worth it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

FancyMike posted:

That's the wagon I'd get because of the better reliability of the 2.5, it's been around forever.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Seriously considering a Beetle; any things to watch out for in the earlier years of final gen Beetles?
There are 3 good manual ones nearby ATM:

2012 2.5L PZEV 5MT, 40-smthg k miles, CPO (so a 2 yr or however many thou miles warranty), under $10k

2013 2.0 TDI 6MT, 44k, tons of options, not priced yet

2013 Turbo (6MT), 59k, under $11k

I really just want something faster/funner than my accursed '05 Civic EX (5MT, 0-60 like mid-8s). Turbo Beetle obviously beats the pants off it at low 6s, regular Beetle obviously blows at 8.8s, TDI is like 8 seconds but has tons of torque so is actually fun???
I don't want weird turbo voodoo breaking or I'd go straight to the '13 Turbo gas.
Thoughts?

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 3, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Unless you do a lot of highway driving you do not want the TDI. And that's coming from someone who loves TDIs

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Unless you do a lot of highway driving you do not want the TDI. And that's coming from someone who loves TDIs

For...fun? The garbage mileage at non-highway speeds with the price of diesel? Something else?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Teketeketeketeke posted:

For...fun? The garbage mileage at non-highway speeds with the price of diesel? Something else?

It'l be fun and torquey, especially if you get the manual, but the emissions systems expect you to do a lot of highway milage to keep the DPF clear.

Plus: Diesels best milage is highway milage.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Thanks, reliability is the main concern for me. Coming from an 04 Mazda6 I'm used to inefficient. Boring is fine, the main things I'm looking for right now is a wagon, decently reliable, three pedals, and not-Subaru. In roughly that order. Also good to know the TDI is only really good for lots of highway driving, there's a shitload of diesel wagons for sale.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

I drove the turbo (TSI) Beetle last night btw - amazing fun. I drove the NA I-5 and the 2.0 TDI today, with both seeming similar. I did enjoy the happy tractor noises at mid-range throttle in the TDI, but didn't get into highway speeds with either. I noticed that while the TDI did have a decent power curve, starting off from a stop seemed a little unresponsive? It honestly seems like it wouldn't be too good in stop and go traffic or something...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Teketeketeketeke posted:

I drove the turbo (TSI) Beetle last night btw - amazing fun. I drove the NA I-5 and the 2.0 TDI today, with both seeming similar. I did enjoy the happy tractor noises at mid-range throttle in the TDI, but didn't get into highway speeds with either. I noticed that while the TDI did have a decent power curve, starting off from a stop seemed a little unresponsive? It honestly seems like it wouldn't be too good in stop and go traffic or something...

Largely because even Variable Vane Turbo diesels need some time to spin up the turbocharger from a dead stop.

If you like the TDI, its well worth it.

FancyMike posted:

Thanks, reliability is the main concern for me. Coming from an 04 Mazda6 I'm used to inefficient. Boring is fine, the main things I'm looking for right now is a wagon, decently reliable, three pedals, and not-Subaru. In roughly that order. Also good to know the TDI is only really good for lots of highway driving, there's a shitload of diesel wagons for sale.

Its not that they are not okay for around town occasionally, but its not ideal for them. Great motors, awesome torque and fairly responsive, and it'll still get decent in town milage, but stop and go is not ideal for it. The motor itself is reliable, and VW is covering the powertrain under extended warranty if it got the dieselgate fix.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DrChu posted:

The 2.5 had 55 more horsepower than the 2.0 and was rated about 1 MPG less, I think that trade off would be well worth it.

that's more about the 2.0 being a loving awful piece of poo poo than the 2.5 being any good

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Any common issues with beetles in general in like the the '12-'13 range? I just remember friends with 00s Beetles and Jettas with broken interior plastic galore, windows falling into doors, etc. Not to mention engine issues with the 1.8T, but that engine was just crap in general right?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that's more about the 2.0 being a loving awful piece of poo poo than the 2.5 being any good

To be fair, the 2.5 is a reliable motor, and has decent output for what it was.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 4, 2019

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How hard is it to change the coolant flange on a 2003 Jetta 2L? The driver side one that leaks..

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone have any experience with a 2014 era S3? Looks pretty good on paper but I’m interested in the following:

* How reliable are they? Any major known issues?
* How decent is the Quattro system? I know it’s not the “good one”.
* What options are best? I would want Bluetooth audio streaming and reversing camera at least.
* Are they dead boring to drive? I’d be coming from a 2011 BMW 135i which is pretty fun.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

2007 Audi A3 2.0T

Bought this car in the spring, going into my first winter with it. I've noticed for as long as I've had this car that it takes a long time for the coolant to warm up. It was about 40 degrees tonight, and it took about 15-20 minutes for the temperature gauge to get close to the mid point. It makes me think the thermostat needs to be replaced, but I haven't seen any fault codes for it. Google is saying it might be normal for the FSI engine to take a while to warm up. Supposedly the direct injection makes it take as long as a diesel to warm up
No other direct engine car I've had was like that, but this thing is first gen I guess :shrug:

Gonna dig into this tomorrow with my OBDeleven, just wondering what I should be looking for if anything.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Baxate posted:

2007 Audi A3 2.0T

Bought this car in the spring, going into my first winter with it. I've noticed for as long as I've had this car that it takes a long time for the coolant to warm up. It was about 40 degrees tonight, and it took about 15-20 minutes for the temperature gauge to get close to the mid point. It makes me think the thermostat needs to be replaced, but I haven't seen any fault codes for it. Google is saying it might be normal for the FSI engine to take a while to warm up. Supposedly the direct injection makes it take as long as a diesel to warm up
No other direct engine car I've had was like that, but this thing is first gen I guess :shrug:

Gonna dig into this tomorrow with my OBDeleven, just wondering what I should be looking for if anything.

If you're driving along at highway speed and you put it into neutral and coast with the engine idling does the coolant temp drop? A working thermostat keeps it proper.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
When the thermostat in my 07 GTI went bad, the needle would sit just a tick below dead center and I would get a check engine light with a code about thermal performance (or something like that). But when I cleared the code, it tended to go away for months. (I ignored it for over a year until it really started sitting below temp and I didn't think I'd squeak past another winter.)

With a new thermostat, it would get up to temp within a few miles as long as it wasn't freezing out.

If you do need a new thermostat, I'm sorry. Don't know about engine bay clearance on the TT, but it was not a fun job on the GTI.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

OP said A3 so just as bad as a GTI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Oops, didn't feel like closing out the reply window to check.

Yeah, job sucked, had to remove the intercooler hoses and alternator and stick my hand between the engine and radiator. Putting the alternator back on and getting the mounting holes lined up ended up being the most frustrating part, partially because it was one of the last steps.