Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Rotten Red Rod posted:

On this page we don't even get a single panel where we can see the monster is threatening him before being neutralized. How exciting.

It is actually baffling because this update both fails to move the plot forward in any way, which is awful for a serialized narrative like this, but also would be terrible in the case of someone reading through the comic afterwards, as it's a direct repetition of the same joke they just saw. It's like Mookie doesn't understand the difference between a Looney Toons cartoon and a comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

TheHan posted:

Hope you liked Friday's joke.

Are we supposed to take this danger at all seriously when there's this endless onslaught of inane poo poo like this amorphous blob monster getting a stalagmite (?) perfectly wedged in its mouth?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This could be funny. Having the clumsy and oblivious guy bumbling out of every trap without even noticing they're there is a strong comedic gimmick. Mookie is just a very inept storyteller.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

This could be funny. Having the clumsy and oblivious guy bumbling out of every trap without even noticing they're there is a strong comedic gimmick. Mookie is just a very inept storyteller.

Yeah, this could easily be done in a funny way, but instead of focusing on visual slapstick it seems to be relying on the monster pulling goofy faces - the "oh noes!!!1!" face on Friday and the "dam u" scowl for the eye and beak-like teeth at the bottom.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Wow after four updates with the completely un-scary blob monster, Bort looks way more terrifying with that face.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's amazing how this could easily have been two comics ago and would have been exactly as...

...okay 'good' is not the word I want.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

TheHan posted:

Wow after four updates with the completely un-scary blob monster, Bort looks way more terrifying with that face.

Based on the previous comic, I'd had the impression that Snout already knew it was there, since there wa no way to tell what was foreground and what was background.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

What the gently caress is the action in panel 2 supposed to represent.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Monster slobber hit the back of his foot and made him turn around to see what it was

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
The only thing that would redeem this comic is a big old FIN over Borts tombstone next update, ending the comic and keeping mysteries mysterious.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

He's falling right in which means that he'll have to dissolve the tension immediately in the next page. Hurray.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TheHan posted:

Where did the spike in its mouth go between it snapping in the bottom left panel and being nowhere to be seen in the bottom right?

Genuinely cannot stop laughing at how bad this is. Like when you play with a face rig and deliberately pull the muscles to the extreme positions

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I didn't know he was part snake, what with him unhinging his jaw like that.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

I was so sure that was an edit until I looked on the actual site. That's real?!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Paging SuperMechagodzilla!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Paging SuperMechagodzilla!

SMG currently lying unmoving on their back with their face in the same rictis grin

Coroner assumes it was in response to the new Joker film

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Well, time for Snout to solve this problem by falling penis-first onto the monster and killing it with the power of "drawing nudity because that's mature".

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I honestly don't even know.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I wonder if it looks better or worse if you flip the entire mouth upside down.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The thing that drives me the most nuts is how Mookie can't draw the snout consistently. It bizarrely alters completely not only over the story, not only from page to page, but on the SAME PAGE. Panel 3 and panel 4 CANNOT be the same person. They just can't.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I honestly don't even know.

Did I mention I love you

Edit: Mookie twitter update

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1179396527489466369

"Pen to paper with no prior sketching or planning"

So... What he normally does.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 3, 2019

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I actually like that Inktober piece, you can see all the familiar features of a snout but he did but some work into giving the face depth. I bet (like a lot of artists) he's so comfortable with 3/4 profile that a lot it's mostly muscle memory and he doesn't hit the usual pitfalls like when he's conveying things like motion, or anatomy.

Speaking of conveying motion:

Hostile V posted:

Well, time for Snout to solve this problem by falling penis-first onto the monster and killing it with the power of "drawing nudity because that's mature".

Bet you didn't expect him to just...fall outta its mouth, did ya? That being said the ink attack was actually clever and not pulled out of nowhere.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheHan posted:

I actually like that Inktober piece, you can see all the familiar features of a snout but he did but some work into giving the face depth. I bet (like a lot of artists) he's so comfortable with 3/4 profile that a lot it's mostly muscle memory and he doesn't hit the usual pitfalls like when he's conveying things like motion, or anatomy.

Yeah it's not godawful horrible or anything. He has the style of a beginning artist that's really trying but needs to put in a lot of anatomy study and practice to get past the point they're at. Except in Mookie's case he seems to have settled into that as his "style". I would guess he's never, ever practiced, and all the pieces we see are the entirety of his artwork.

I get the feeling from this comic that he's actively trying to go outside his comfort zone with his art, which is commendable, I suppose. But he's decided to do it with no preparation or practice so the end result is... Rough.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

TheHan posted:

Bet you didn't expect him to just...fall outta its mouth, did ya? That being said the ink attack was actually clever and not pulled out of nowhere.

Credit where credit is due, this is at least more set-up than a lot of the other poo poo he's pulled out of his rear end over the years.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah it's not godawful horrible or anything. He has the style of a beginning artist that's really trying but needs to put in a lot of anatomy study and practice to get past the point they're at. Except in Mookie's case he seems to have settled into that as his "style". I would guess he's never, ever practiced, and all the pieces we see are the entirety of his artwork.

I get the feeling from this comic that he's actively trying to go outside his comfort zone with his art, which is commendable, I suppose. But he's decided to do it with no preparation or practice so the end result is... Rough.

Yeah I should've prefaced that with "If this weren't a guy who spent 11 years drawing 5 days a week". By prepping and planning I assume he just means he didn't draw the whole figure out in pencil first, and never does anything like a "draw a wireframe" or "Look up where tails go". He absolutely considers it his style and doesn't see anything wrong with looking like a twice recorded Slayers OVA.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Little Death posted:

Credit where credit is due, this is at least more set-up than a lot of the other poo poo he's pulled out of his rear end over the years.

Yeah, this scene was actually good.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

Yeah, this scene was actually good.

let's not say things we can't take back

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TheHan posted:

Low bar, but this is the best gag he's pulled out so far (deliberately, at least, the ship blowing up his house was hilarious). That said what the gently caress happens to his tail between panels 4 and 5, and it's just entirely gone by the final one.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
It retreats up into his pelvic cavity when he's aroused. It's the opposite end of his bortner. That's why it seems to move around.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The Little Death posted:

The smart-paper is displaying the "I'm not a shield it's going to eat" message to the monster, instead of to Snout.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The smart-paper is displaying the "I'm not a shield it's going to eat" message to the monster, instead of to Snout.
It only displays on one side for some reason.

I think the rest of the stuff is dumb enough that I'm willing to give the ink-attack a pass. There are still dumb things about it, but it's charmingly dumb.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

"I'm not a shield it's going to eat"

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It must be really inconvenient to have a floating eyeball on a stalk with no eyelid. This chaos beast is the most sympathetic character in the comic so far.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It even spat him out when he accidentally fell into its mouth. It was just trying to help him reach the thing on the top shelf!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Hope you liked...last Friday's joke? Rule of thirds, I guess.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Your actions are so poorly conveyed.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Am I supposed to believe that there was a brain or something to be stabbed near it's mouth? It doesn't even look like it was punctured since the rock went right down it's throat.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PetraCore posted:

It only displays on one side for some reason.

I think the rest of the stuff is dumb enough that I'm willing to give the ink-attack a pass. There are still dumb things about it, but it's charmingly dumb.

I’m willing to accept that ‘Pagefinder’ can inexplicably appear at Snout’s door, and start talking about the plot of the comic as though it’s been reading it, because the whole thing is just a cutesy device for God to guide His own creation through the narrative. It’s literally Terracciano sending little notes to Snout via the power of **authorship** - while maintaining the self-imposed limitation of only pointing to the arbitrary collectibles, so as not to overwhelm the narrative with his omniscience. (This is implicitly why Pagefinder can’t just print the content of the missing pages on itself and spare us a ton of bullshit).

But telling me God’s “ink magic” only works on one side of the paper? That’s a bridge too far.

This recent comic also breaks from the logic by having Pagefinder identify itself as the physical piece of paper, when it previously self-identified as the spell (i.e. as the free-floating disembodied perspective capable of communicating via the paper).

This shift only “works” if the vomit glitch is the result of the spectral character’s sudden, shocking embodiment. And in that case, it’s both extremely poorly conveyed and (like the paper being one-sided) something that Snout couldn’t possibly know.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

Am I supposed to believe that there was a brain or something to be stabbed near it's mouth? It doesn't even look like it was punctured since the rock went right down it's throat.

At this point I'm just assuming the monster realised it was in a Deegan comic and just gave up on life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
What the gently caress is Snout slipping on? Is it the page he was looking for? Or did he just throw away and then slip on the magic paper he used to nut in the monster's eye?

I'm usually pretty good at reading Mookie's garbage, but this poo poo is especially bad.