Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

just got close out Blizzak WS80s on wheels for the new golf. however: tire rack sent me 8.

Sweet. They're yours to keep if you want them, legally.

I'm going to be in the market for tires for my truck (2015 GMC 2500HD, Duramax). I do mostly side streets and highway, but spend a good bit of time on boat ramps and snow. I've put 33k miles on the truck since 2015, so not a ton of miles. I'm not looking for a highway only tire, but I'm not interested in anything super loud like the All-Terrain T/A KO2 or Grabber AT/X.

Currently, it's running Michelin LTX AT2 in 265/70R18. They're bloody expensive ($300/tire from Tire rack plus shipping), and I'm fine with buying the same thing if that's the best option, but I'm kinda meh about them. The wet traction isn't great, dry is fine, they're not loud, and tread wear is pretty bad, but what else is out there that's similar/better? Dynapro AT2? Destination XT? GeoLandar AT G015? TerrainContact A/T? Say gently caress it and put Grabbers or BFGs on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

sharkytm posted:

I'm going to be in the market for tires for my truck (2015 GMC 2500HD, Duramax). I do mostly side streets and highway, but spend a good bit of time on boat ramps and snow. I've put 33k miles on the truck since 2015, so not a ton of miles. I'm not looking for a highway only tire, but I'm not interested in anything super loud like the All-Terrain T/A KO2 or Grabber AT/X.

Currently, it's running Michelin LTX AT2 in 265/70R18. They're bloody expensive ($300/tire from Tire rack plus shipping), and I'm fine with buying the same thing if that's the best option, but I'm kinda meh about them. The wet traction isn't great, dry is fine, they're not loud, and tread wear is pretty bad, but what else is out there that's similar/better? Dynapro AT2? Destination XT? GeoLandar AT G015? TerrainContact A/T? Say gently caress it and put Grabbers or BFGs on?

Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT or AT3 4s. One of the few AT's that offer a 60k treadlife warranty.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 29, 2019

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
The Michelins do as well, at least in replacement form. I need to check the warranty for OEM.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

sharkytm posted:

The Michelins do as well, at least in replacement form. I need to check the warranty for OEM.
Looks like 6 years from date of vehicle purchase. Dont see nothing bout mileage.
https://www.michelinman.com/on/dema...07-REV-1118.pdf

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Right, I'm a bit limited in tyre choice in 195/45R15, and it effectively boils down to the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3, the Continental ContiSportContact 2, or possibly the Uniroyal Rainsport.

I like Continentals, but CostCo have an offer on Goodyears that makes them a very good price, and they are the "correct" original fitment for the car.

Any reason not to get those? I've heard they're sometimes considered a little noisy, but can't imagine they're any worse than the Firestones on there now (they have plenty of tread, but I want to take the opportunity to change them). Tread life and fuel economy are effectively irrelevant to me, I just want premium dry/wet non-winter performance.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Preoptopus posted:

Looks like 6 years from date of vehicle purchase. Dont see nothing bout mileage.
https://www.michelinman.com/on/dema...07-REV-1118.pdf

Cool. I'll have to see if they're going to bitch about the uneven wear, which is probably right at 1/16". It's on all 4 tires, which have been rotated. If I can get some money back, that would be great. 33k to kill $1200 in tires on a mostly-highway use truck seems excessive to me.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Preoptopus posted:

Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT or AT3 4s. One of the few AT's that offer a 60k treadlife warranty.

Ill always vouch for the discoverers. Granted, I havent tried the LT version but Im on my third set in a row on my Suburban in 265/70-17. I got about 75,000 miles (@30k /year) out of each of the first two sets and I dont see anything indicating that this third set wont do the same. Never had a complaint about wear or noise or traction.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

sharkytm posted:

Cool. I'll have to see if they're going to bitch about the uneven wear, which is probably right at 1/16". It's on all 4 tires, which have been rotated. If I can get some money back, that would be great. 33k to kill $1200 in tires on a mostly-highway use truck seems excessive to me.

Dealers put very soft tires on cars so when you do the test drive its super soft and nice but generally speaking from personal experience selling these things, 30k to 40 k is pretty much the limit to oem tires.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sharkytm posted:

i prefer getting my money back though since it also has a separate set of wheels

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Preoptopus posted:

Dealers put very soft tires on cars so when you do the test drive its super soft and nice but generally speaking from personal experience selling these things, 30k to 40 k is pretty much the limit to oem tires.
So they're a different tire than a replacement tire of the same brand/model? That's very interesting, and not something that I've heard before.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i prefer getting my money back though since it also has a separate set of wheels

Oh, they billed you for all 8? I thought they had just sent you 4 extras. Definitely get your money back!

Modus Man posted:

Ill always vouch for the discoverers. Granted, I havent tried the LT version but Im on my third set in a row on my Suburban in 265/70-17. I got about 75,000 miles (@30k /year) out of each of the first two sets and I dont see anything indicating that this third set wont do the same. Never had a complaint about wear or noise or traction.

Thanks, I never really considered them. I'll see if anyone local has them on a truck.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah they invoiced me twice

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
saw this today:
https://www.discounttiredirect.co...flash-sale

100 off select sets of tires. can be doubled with mfr rebates.

(see website for which brands of tires are on sale)

I think its time for some Michelin PS4S! 170 off the set and free shipping. very unfortunate that DTD charges sales tax in my state.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

saw this today:
https://www.discounttiredirect.co...flash-sale

100 off select sets of tires. can be doubled with mfr rebates.

(see website for which brands of tires are on sale)

I think its time for some Michelin PS4S! 170 off the set and free shipping. very unfortunate that DTD charges sales tax in my state.

bad link :P

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/promotions/flash-sale

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How significant is it going from 205 to 195 on width? I know it's roughly .4", but in terms of performance.

I've got two sets of wheels, one 16x6.5", one 15x6.5" (assuming the latter hasn't turned into a pile of rust in my dad's barn). I've been mostly looking at either 205/60R15 or 205/55R16, but I came across some quality tires in 195/65R15 for cheaper than the 205 width. Comparing dimensions that's within a 10th of an inch of the others in height, it's one of the stock sizes for my model year, at 7.7" it should still be wide enough to fit the same wheels, but I've never looked at going narrower. What would the practical difference be on a snow tire going narrower?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
If the difference between the two is a much better tire, I'd go for the 195 hands down. I did something similar with summer tires this spring, it was a measurable amount comfier and more stable in hard corners because: better tire. I'd wager that unless you are dealing with a foot of fresh powder snow daily, it's not going to make it a net negative.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

https://twitter.com/TeamPPODerby/status/1178672434200887296

:pwn:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
More curious what that shop did to get that tire off.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Seat Safety Switch posted:

More curious what that shop did to get that tire off.

Probably just pulled the valve stem core. The real question is WHO the shop had do the above-referenced procedure.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

Right, I'm a bit limited in tyre choice in 195/45R15, and it effectively boils down to the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3, the Continental ContiSportContact 2, or possibly the Uniroyal Rainsport.

I like Continentals, but CostCo have an offer on Goodyears that makes them a very good price, and they are the "correct" original fitment for the car.

Any reason not to get those? I've heard they're sometimes considered a little noisy, but can't imagine they're any worse than the Firestones on there now (they have plenty of tread, but I want to take the opportunity to change them). Tread life and fuel economy are effectively irrelevant to me, I just want premium dry/wet non-winter performance.

GSD3 and Contisport Contact 2 are almost 10 years old. I've ran both GSD3's were brilliant and I found the contis wore out quickly and weren't very good in the wet. Rainsport is meant to be great, but some people complain about soft sidewalls on em.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

track day bro! posted:

GSD3 and Contisport Contact 2 are almost 10 years old. I've ran both GSD3's were brilliant and I found the contis wore out quickly and weren't very good in the wet. Rainsport is meant to be great, but some people complain about soft sidewalls on em.
Yes, it's a limitation of wanting a somewhat old-school hot hatch tyre size, it's mostly older tyre models.

The soft Uniroyal thing wouldn't concern me as it's a light car (I have RainExpert 3s on another car), but the offer Costco have on make the Goodyears the same price if not a hair cheaper.

I'm probably going to get the Goodyears.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

Probably just pulled the valve stem core. The real question is WHO the shop had do the above-referenced procedure.

I wonder if there's a market for renting bomb-disposal robots to tire shops.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

sharkytm posted:

I had to do one of these once where it was one single giant bubble that ran along a third of the tire circumference. Ideally I suppose you'd have a gripper tool and a valve core remover at the end of a long pole for this sort of thing but that would mean spending money on tools in the name of safety and that's very un-:capitalism: so we can't have that. In the end I put on a full face mask and went in with a core remover figuring that was guaranteed to work vs. trying to get in there and tear out the whole valve stem which might take multiple attempts. Then you run and wait.

Oddly the only tire that I ever saw blow up was a brand spanking new one where the sidewall ruptured when it was being inflated for the first time. The guy mounting it got a minor laceration on his upper lip from a liberated sidewall cord. Out of all the things that can kill you in a shop I think coil springs are the only thing scarier than tires.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

If the difference between the two is a much better tire, I'd go for the 195 hands down. I did something similar with summer tires this spring, it was a measurable amount comfier and more stable in hard corners because: better tire. I'd wager that unless you are dealing with a foot of fresh powder snow daily, it's not going to make it a net negative.

Well, they ended up getting sold out before I could get them, so welp.

Anyone ever use Nokian WR G3s? They seem like the opposite of all-seasons, snows that are made to not suck rear end on dry pavement, which is what I need since between the sun and our snowplow crews snow lasts for a day or so tops around here. They're certified by whatever governing body certifies snow tires in the EU, so they should be good? I can get a set of those in 205/60R15 for $200 shipped, probably another $40 to have them mounted and balanced.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The workyard I rent some space in... I get back to the yard, sun had just come out and it was kinda nice and warm (this was towards the end of a cold spring) sitting there chilling and doing up some paperwork and KAPOW! I look around to see who the hell is target practicing with a 300 winchester. I glance over at a logging truck trailer and notice dust rising from it. I walk over and sure as poo poo the tire just exploded. And these are usually around 100psi and 44" tall so there is a lot of pressure and volume to let out.

Whatever, go back to my paperwork and 2 minutes later Kapow ! the other tire on the dually set also blows up.

The only thing I can gather is maybe a rock or large log got stuck between the tires, wore the sidewall thin while going down the road, and then parked and when the sun came out and started heating the tires, maybe it increased the pressure just enough to blow them up ? Unlikely but I can't think of any other explanation other than a Grande Prairie swat team doing pranks with the world's best silencer.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I worked at a central Alabama tire shop in the early aughts, and one of the the dumbest things I saw was another tech attempt to mount a tubeless car tire to a spoked motorcycle wheel that required a tube. He hadnt factored in the difference in the two bead areas, and the tire just wouldnt set. So he cranked more and more air in there until the bead area ruptured at probably 90-120 psi. It blew him up and backwards several feet and tore his uniform shirt offhe had a line of bruises running down his chest and stomach from the shirt buttons for weeks to go along with a probable concussion from landing head first. I had a ringing in my ears for days.

We routinely turned down mounting tires on old split rims and did air up truck tires in the cage, FWIW.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

wallaka posted:

I worked at a central Alabama tire shop in the early aughts, and one of the the dumbest things I saw was another tech attempt to mount a tubeless car tire to a spoked motorcycle wheel that required a tube. He hadnt factored in the difference in the two bead areas, and the tire just wouldnt set. So he cranked more and more air in there until the bead area ruptured at probably 90-120 psi. It blew him up and backwards several feet and tore his uniform shirt offhe had a line of bruises running down his chest and stomach from the shirt buttons for weeks to go along with a probable concussion from landing head first. I had a ringing in my ears for days.

We routinely turned down mounting tires on old split rims and did air up truck tires in the cage, FWIW.

I dont gently caress with split rims period as we have no cage, bead locks, or drag meats or anything over 22 inches as a general rule, im in no shortage of business so gently caress all that. And 9 out of 10 times its always people that want us to mount tires we didnt sell em, they want em done yesterday because of course they are trying to get to the race track or leaving town that same evening and are the type of people who hover over my tire techs looking for any reason to bitch. Im not set up for that poo poo, aint gonna have a tech get hurt, or open the possibility of the shop getting sued. Now buy a set of 26's and shoes to match? Or put 6 new on your dually camper with 19.5s? Ill make that poo poo happen all day for you.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

There is definitely a body count associated with split rims. :black101: And that's just the way they like it. :black101:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Preoptopus posted:

I dont gently caress with split rims period as we have no cage, bead locks, or drag meats or anything over 22 inches as a general rule, im in no shortage of business so gently caress all that. And 9 out of 10 times its always people that want us to mount tires we didnt sell em, they want em done yesterday because of course they are trying to get to the race track or leaving town that same evening and are the type of people who hover over my tire techs looking for any reason to bitch. Im not set up for that poo poo, aint gonna have a tech get hurt, or open the possibility of the shop getting sued. Now buy a set of 26's and shoes to match? Or put 6 new on your dually camper with 19.5s? Ill make that poo poo happen all day for you.

The newer split lock-ring ones aren't too bad, but the older style 3-piece continuous ring and the Firestone center-split is sure and sudden death if there is any corrosion present on the 60-year old steel wheels--and probably 30% chance of death you don't see any. Usually the customer was some good-ol boy farmer that had cobbled together an equipment trailer from an old mobile home and had dayton-style rims to boot a.k.a. this pain-in-the-rear end bullshit

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
So, I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I have a 2016 BMW xDrive 238i Wagon. It came with run flat tires, no spare, no jack, no quick fix flat repair kit.

I need winter tires. The stock tires are lack luster in snow.

I can get 17" wheels with run flats, but they cost about $150 more than non-run flats. And run flats limit my options.

My other option is to get non-run flats, maybe even in 16". Then, do I get by with a flat repair kit and spare jack? Buy five wheels and just carry a spare tire in the back, giving up trunk space?

I'll eventually need to replace my regular tires, so I'll have the run flat/non-run flat question come up again.

I have a towing service, but I regularly drive the 150 miles between Peoria and Chicago, including back roads, on weekend evenings. I'm wary of making this trip without a spare cause getting a flat would mean getting stuck in the middle of no where waiting until Monday for a shop to open.

I can always get a spare tire kit?
http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Performance_Spare_Tire/BIM-SST-F30-KIT.html

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Carry one of your summers as a spare? That would take up a lot of trunk space, obviously.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, that would be the least effort. I'd only need to do it on trips out of town.

Hey, it's a wagon, I got trunk space to spare!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, they ended up getting sold out before I could get them, so welp.

Anyone ever use Nokian WR G3s? They seem like the opposite of all-seasons, snows that are made to not suck rear end on dry pavement, which is what I need since between the sun and our snowplow crews snow lasts for a day or so tops around here. They're certified by whatever governing body certifies snow tires in the EU, so they should be good? I can get a set of those in 205/60R15 for $200 shipped, probably another $40 to have them mounted and balanced.

I had these (I think I'm too lazy to look it up) on my Mini and they were fine. Although around here the roads do get plowed and I don't drive much so I don't think I ever drove on them in terrible conditions.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks. I might take some trips up into the mountains, but the highways should be clear and Im fine going slower on the smaller roads, the friends I have up there will have stuffed tires so I just have to get to their houses pretty much. I dont need Hakkas or anything.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks. I might take some trips up into the mountains, but the highways should be clear and Im fine going slower on the smaller roads, the friends I have up there will have stuffed tires so I just have to get to their houses pretty much. I dont need Hakkas or anything.

I bought Hakkas for my Bolt but only because I'm kind of paranoid (and what was I going to do with the low rolls that it came with it) instead of it being necessity. (I'm going to regret doing so because I'm also lazy) The issue is whenever you look poo poo up people will be like GET WINTERS without comprehending that maybe someone doesn't really need full on super duper winters, and that there are all seasons that are rated pretty solidly for winter driving.

I should have gotten those or more likely the newer version the low rolls suck.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Uthor posted:

So, I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I have a 2016 BMW xDrive 238i Wagon. It came with run flat tires, no spare, no jack, no quick fix flat repair kit.

I need winter tires. The stock tires are lack luster in snow.

I can get 17" wheels with run flats, but they cost about $150 more than non-run flats. And run flats limit my options.

My other option is to get non-run flats, maybe even in 16". Then, do I get by with a flat repair kit and spare jack? Buy five wheels and just carry a spare tire in the back, giving up trunk space?

I'll eventually need to replace my regular tires, so I'll have the run flat/non-run flat question come up again.

I have a towing service, but I regularly drive the 150 miles between Peoria and Chicago, including back roads, on weekend evenings. I'm wary of making this trip without a spare cause getting a flat would mean getting stuck in the middle of no where waiting until Monday for a shop to open.

I can always get a spare tire kit?
http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Performance_Spare_Tire/BIM-SST-F30-KIT.html

You live in IL? You dont need snow tires. (of course they are nice to have and if you can swing it by all means be my guest but its overkill out there) Get good all seasons and forget the run flats imo. If your worried about not having a spare, heres your rim. https://www.amazon.com/Aftermarket-Steel-17X7-5-finish-X47520/dp/B0799QJ33K
Slap a used tire on that call it a day.
Also regardless of what rout you take, you should
get yourself a tire plug kit like this one. https://www.grainger.com/product/33...0191010000541:s
And a small compressor that can run off your 12 volt socket
It is by no means a permanent solution but if you plug it right it will get you home.

Edit: wait i mighta miss read that do you not have the 17s on it now?

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 10, 2019

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Preoptopus posted:

You live in IL? You dont need snow tires.

Edit: wait i mighta miss read that do you not have the 17s on it now?

I went from a FWD car with winter tires to an AWD car with all seasons. I lost tons of traction, especially when stopping. Driving with winter tires is a night and day difference.

I used to drive on DWSs and they were okay in snow the first year, only good in light snow the second year, and utterly useless by the third year (with plenty of tread left for summer driving).

The car came with 17s. I'm kinda sure I can fit 16s over the brakes for cheaper wheels and tires.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 10, 2019

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Uthor posted:

I went from a FWD car with winter tires to an AWD car with all seasons. I lost tons of traction, especially when stopping. Driving with winter tires is a night and day difference.

I used to drive on DWSs and they were okay in snow the first year, only good in light snow the second year, and utterly useless by the third year (with plenty of tread left for summer driving).

The car came with 17s. I'm kinda sure I can fit 16s over the brakes for cheaper wheels and tires.

Gotchya, I drove around Wisconsin winters in a RWD 323 ci in Conti Pure Contacts and never had a problem but fair enough its a brand new car you dont wanna gently caress it up.
Getting 16 inch rims vs 17 inch rims isnt gonna be much of a price difference in the aftermarket world anyway and it looks like going down from a 205 50 17 or if you have the 225 45 17 to a 205 55 16 will save you about 20 bucks a tire on average depending on the tire. Some prices are almost the same.
However. Looking up your wheel fitment, I am not seeing a 16 inch option for x drive. So you might wanna look into that and see if there is a reason for that.

Edit: With the upmost respect, I think your overcomplicating things, go get a set of them steelies i posted above.
Doing a quick search in junk yards on car-parts.com, in your area they had used rims for like 50 bucks a pop which is questionably low. And they were in Indiana. New ones are gonna be over two for anything decent in the aftermarket. Id go with the steelies for the price.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 10, 2019

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I think we should stop refering to winter tires as snow tires in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I didn't think "I don't have a spare, should I get a kit or an extra tire" was over complicating anything, but okay. I'll probably get a kit and keep a summer tire in the trunk for longer trips in case and call it a day.

Haven't decided if I wanna get a new set of wheels or stop by the local junk yard. That's where I got wheels for my old car. That steelie is more expensive than cheap alloys at Tire Rack, so...

I got good advice here, I'm going to just pick up a set of winter tires next month.