Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

I don't think she got convicted of classic murder. It was just murder. I'm just glad she didn't get murder lite or murder zero.

People say they cant, but I can definitely tell the difference between murder zero and regular murder.

Anyway, we don't have degrees of murder here. we have homicides, murder charges for regular intentional killings, that can escalate to capital murder under the conditions listed in code above. It is a defense during sentencing that the murder was a crime of passion, which lowers the offense to a second degree

All here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

Edit: moreover, what felony was she trying to commit?

B&E

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

That would require her knowing it wasn't her apartment, and knowingly gaining access for some other purpose. Both of which would be unlikely to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I think it was an intentional murder. But since both intentional and felony theories look like they fall under the same offense, it doesn’t matter. In any case it doesn’t seem like it was a capital murder under the statute.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My guess is 20.

Ogmius815 posted:

I think it was an intentional murder.

And that's what she got convicted of. Unintentional homicide is manslaughter

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Welp

https://twitter.com/LaVendrickS/status/1179502183504662528

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Jury sentenced 10 years. I'm gonna pack up and go home, I don't wanna be stuck at work in Harry Hines if something happens :derp:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ten years and a felony conviction is still solidly life ruining so there's an upper bound to just how mad I can be about this

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Will she see the whole 10 years or this gonna be a parole in 3.5 with good behavior situation

10 feels low. 20 seems right. 15 is better than 10.

Edit: looks like she’ll be parole eligible in 5 years

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 2, 2019

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

:lol: she'll be out on parole in half that time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

5 years as a cop in prison tho

I mean I don't believe in prison and it's hard to say how much anyone deserves for taking a life, I'll just take the conviction as a win.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

I had a guy I knew that got busted for a small amount of weed at 19 and barely out of high school. First time offense. Judge said he was going to make an example out of him and he spent 2 years in prison.

5 (most likely) years for breaking into somebody's apartment and killing them is unconscionable.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/gabegutierrez/status/1179509810095636480?s=21

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

GreyjoyBastard posted:

ten years and a felony conviction is still solidly life ruining so there's an upper bound to just how mad I can be about this

You know what is way more life ruining? Being murdered in your own home by a racist off duty cop.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 2, 2019

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

10 years feels low, but I’m not all that punitive and I hesitate to second guess the people who were in the courtroom and saw all the evidence.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

My gut said 15, and 10 doesn't really bug me. But I'm a white 30yo man in the suburbs. :shrug:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm reading that she's ineligible for probation / parole and that jives with my vague memory of murder convictions in Texas, where are you guys seeing the five years thing?

fake edit yeah it looks like murderers are only parole eligible after serving thirty?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Gonna swerve this Texas politics thread with some foodchat:

https://twitter.com/evan7257/status/1179220242821783555

(Evan's a Houston chron guy who is pretty right though I will admit to enjoying Kerbey Lane)

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The only people who enjoy insulting Austin more than the Legislature is literally everyone else in Texas.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

No Safe Word posted:

(Evan's a Houston chron guy who is pretty right though I will admit to enjoying Kerbey Lane)
Imagine being this bad at finding restaurants in Austin.

1stGear posted:

The only people who enjoy insulting Austin more than the Legislature is literally everyone else in Texas.

I feel like everyone else is more likely to insult Dallas than Austin.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm reading that she's ineligible for probation / parole and that jives with my vague memory of murder convictions in Texas, where are you guys seeing the five years thing?

fake edit yeah it looks like murderers are only parole eligible after serving thirty?

From what I found that only applies to people convicted of capital murder. Guyger was convicted of murder which is a "3G" offense, with 50% time served as the minimum.

https://txparolelaw.com/eligible-for-parole-in-texas/

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

I made the mistake of following this guy and all he does is quote tweets and then say “uh” or “wow”

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I enjoy dunking on Austin as much as anyone but c'mon, there's good places everywhere if you bother to look. I like Tyson's Tacos.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

1stGear posted:

Hey this is Austinite-complaining erasure

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

FBS posted:

From what I found that only applies to people convicted of capital murder. Guyger was convicted of murder which is a "3G" offense, with 50% time served as the minimum.

https://txparolelaw.com/eligible-for-parole-in-texas/

Yeah, glancing again I think i misread. Well, bummer. Even given my feelings about punitive justice five years is too short.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Badger of Basra posted:

I made the mistake of following this guy and all he does is quote tweets and then say “uh” or “wow”

Following him saves like infinite other follows since he will RT interesting Texas stuff - like I don't want to have to follow MQS regularly - just follow Evan and only get the ones where he releases the god drat tape, why won't he release the tape!

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I am for this.

https://twitter.com/GeneforTexas/status/1179524819467022336

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I mean kerbey is great pancakes, some of the best, but is anything else there worth writing home about?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I like Houston a lot, I'd be fine with them getting even more money.

maybe not a great move from a natural disaster standpoint, Austin's pretty safe but Houston has that whole sea level thing and hurricane thing

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sardonik posted:

I mean kerbey is great pancakes, some of the best, but is anything else there worth writing home about?

Pancakes are the easiest thing in the world to make well. Kerbey has no appeal for me since there are better biscuits and better breakfast tacos elsewhere. The main draw is the hours.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Honestly the best breakfast place is a national chain, First Watch

(Though local diner is good greasy spoon fare)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

There are no good restaurants or locations at all really to visit in Austin, please don't come here

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

There are no good restaurants or locations at all really to visit in Austin, please don't come here

I promise we dont want to.

The lines for the Kubrik Hologram presented by Tito's at SXSW will be nice and short for you.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Sometimes he has good content.

https://twitter.com/evan7257/status/1179566595313688582?s=19

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Spacebump posted:

I feel like everyone else is more likely to insult Dallas than Austin.

why not both

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When the capitol was first moved to Austin, it was a terrible idea to go to the middle of nowhere, and there was a whole lot of ridiculous drama over it. Therefore, if they move the capitol again, it needs to be to like the middle of a desert in New Mexico.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Archive_War

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I just want the high speed train from Dallas to Houston. My brother is in Houston and that drive is awful.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wow I can't believe they moved the capitol to Marfa

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

poemdexter posted:

I just want the high speed train from Dallas to Houston. My brother is in Houston and that drive is awful.

Well the good people of the Brazos valley say: go gently caress yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

zoux posted:

Well the good people of the Brazos valley say: go gently caress yourself

I don't know anything about the plans for the train and any pushback besides the fact that it was planned and delayed a few times already. I also don't know where the Brazos valley is. I'll gladly drive if it means that people aren't having their lives destroyed in the path. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯