Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

IronicDongz posted:

you can go back in the other direction, from level 3 to 1, which you probably wanna do if you want to explore topside because you'll want at least one of digging+teleport

also the guaranteed health up from the orb across the pit once you've taken it at least once

Ahh OK that makes sense. I don’t think I’ve found any orbs yet, I’m trying to resist spoiling myself too much on everything.

A few random thoughts / suggestions on balance:
  • Would be nice to have some sort of buyback / trade mechanic in the holy mountain so I can get a few coins for trash wands / spells
  • As others have said, fire and toxic sludge damage sees too punishing, especially when paired with the strong incentive to deeply explore levels for wands. The damage you receive feels like Spelunky or Dead Cells but the overall game pacing is much slower, so it feels a little unbalanced.
  • Maybe just personal preference but I wish the levitation (and maybe health) indicators were by the player character; I keep running out of fly juice without realising it.
  • Gosh I wish gold didn’t despawn, or at least took much, much longer to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Being able to have the option of bars under your character would be really good yeah.

Also a trader/vendor for old wands, even if it’s a full reroll for X money or something would also be cool.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Since I feel like this game has gotten some unfair critcism wrt difficulty, specifically towards needing good RNG and levels 3-4, I recorded myself doing levels 3 and 4 using only the wands and spells they start you with, and never taking the shield perk.
The beta branch supposedly tweaked level 3 enemy generation so I did it both on the beta and the current branch, but I didn't really notice much of a difference. I got beat up near the end of level 3 on the main branch but that's because I approached a robot in a dumb way, and level 4 was harder because I took boomerang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AYWEmopVFc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfvWGIpX3z4

As long as you are careful and play around enemy line of sight, it's pretty reasonable to do this. Worth noting that I had 125 health the first time and 200 health the second time, all from the first level+lava pit orb-HP upgrades are definitely the swingiest part of the game right now.

TACD posted:

• As others have said, fire and toxic sludge damage sees too punishing, especially when paired with the strong incentive to deeply explore levels for wands. The damage you receive feels like Spelunky or Dead Cells but the overall game pacing is much slower, so it feels a little unbalanced.
You can wash off sludge/put out fire by pouring water on yourself. Fire goes out way faster if you have a hole to pour water into and submerge yourself at least halfway in.
You can

On the beta branch you currently start with a water flask, on the current branch I would recommend slowly exploring til you find a flask, then once possible pour it all out with right click then submerge in water while holding it to fill it with water.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
So fun (bad) interaction: More Blood + Freeze Field = Every time I get hit I'm stuck in place by a circular pixel-width field of frozen blood!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
https://i.imgur.com/8Xkeg61.mp4

oh,

I managed to get to The Vault but god knows how because my wand selection was miserable. I did get attacked by an enemy using a wand and panicked to kill him as fast as I could... and then realised he had picked up a wand that had projectiles that healed everything but the caster :haw: I wondered how I had so much HP after the fight. Also, Vampirism + More Blood is hilarious.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 3, 2019

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Songbearer posted:

How about a way to mess around in a sandbox and save specific wand configurations to have them show up in future runs? That'd be a cool twist on roguelike progression mechanics like unlocking items that show up later.

Its certainly not reliable but there is already a "bones" mechanic where you can run into a ghost wielding a wand that you died with in that area in a previous run

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
level three and four technically isn't to bad, though if you don't have any movement perks then the jetpack shots can track you reasonably well

the issue more so it jetpack dudes will patrol and investigate stuff so you can rather abruptly be sandwiched and the moment you get hit once or twice you're stun locked to the floor and in a bad way soon after

if it weren't for the stunlock thing it wouldn't be to bad

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
The ghosts that carry your old weapons dont always carry your old weapons. I just came across one in the mines with a wand that had magic missile on it and Ive definitely never seen that spell in the mines before. I died horribly of course

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Count me as another vote for shuffle wands being lovely. I keep finding shuffle wands with a shitload of slots and just stuffing whatever low cast delay poo poo i can find in there because i can't figure out anything else useful to do with them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like this game would be much improved if you could pay extra cash at the end of the floor to access any of the spells you've already found.

So, like, if you find a spell that would be good on a trigger, you can pay double or triple perhaps to get a copy of spark bolt with trigger.

Cos as it stands whether you get a good combo is absurdly random and the game could do with some kind of meta progression.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

My criticism is that while strong enemies should be strong (minigun, missile launchers) and that some enemies should spawn enemies (horrible acid monsters and nests), having strong enemies that also spawn are just too frustrating to want to engage

here's looking at you, large jetpack squad leaders, bum-rushing levels 3 and 4 is the only way to go

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
If 3 & 4 need to be bum rushed, just wait until 5 & 6 :haw:

Got super lucky floor 1 and found a well hidden wand with 2x Glowing Lance on it, hopped into the mountain and found a 2x chainsaw wand. Threw them together with double cast on a non-shuffle wand and I had a floor clearer all the way until the Jungle, when the enemy HP scaling just got too crazy and I had to just dig down. A not-tree-egg worm tunneled into the mountain after the ice caverns so I had to be crafty, but I made it all the way to the boss for the first time, and beat it oddly easily with the above mentioned wand. Maybe because the Lance has piercing properties?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

IronicDongz posted:

On the beta branch you currently start with a water flask, on the current branch I would recommend slowly exploring til you find a flask, then once possible pour it all out with right click then submerge in water while holding it to fill it with water.
Yea I should give the beta a go, starting with a flask sounds like a good change

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

BaconCopter posted:

If 3 & 4 need to be bum rushed, just wait until 5 & 6 :haw:

Agree. I'm convinced that the reason people complain so much about 3 and 4 is because they haven't made it to 6 and 7. Vaults is an absolute nightmare. Every enemy has 300-600HP, stunlocks you, and follows you across the entire screen. You can't escape unless you have black hole, because the entire maze is made out of steel. The game is good but options are pretty limited to get to the end.

I'm optimistic they won't just play with numbers and instead look for ways to give players more options.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

in the ice caves i just try to dig straight down as much as possible instead of exploring horizontally at all. its not worth getting caught in the open by a bunch of snipers

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
https://i.imgur.com/Rzqq018.mp4

Kicking frozen enemies to execute them is a grand old time :fuckoff:

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Increased recoil+drill wand=flight.

Also you can still get infinite gold from the altar.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Vonnie posted:

Also you can still get infinite gold from the altar.

How does that work exactly? I tried to hold the tablet while pointing down and/or ducking on top of the altar, but it didn't work.

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 3, 2019

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

IronicDongz posted:

Or if it's pheromone or polymorph/chaotic polymorph/berserkium, just go to inventory and right click the bottle to chug it.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

EVIL Gibson posted:

Or if it's pheromone or polymorph/lava/chaotic polymorph/berserkium, just go to inventory and right click the bottle to chug it.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Qylvaran posted:

How does that work exactly? I tried to hold the tablet while pointing down and/or ducking on top of the altar, but it didn't work.

The tablet can still be picked up for a short window of time after it's sacrificed, letting you sacrifice the same tablet over and over. You'll start getting those floating lava monsters after several tries, though, so it's kind of questionable in practice. Gold becomes pretty easy to get anyway as you progress and the money reward per tablet quickly becomes chump change, but resaccing tablets a few times can help get your early funds going for the first two shops.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Where is the altar?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

andrew smash posted:

Where is the altar?

over the mountain

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
That last pre-boss final level is a giant pile of bullshit. Too many enemies with too many hit points, and that caster that can completely blind you is just a bad inclusion in the game.

Is the final boss ever not a joke? I mean I needed a lot more firepower to get to him than he required.

Still excellent game that will only get better

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If you've got 11 orbs he's have 130,000 hp

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Necromancy, while interesting and a bit entertaining, is useless af. The corpses follow you like drunk balloons and do nothing but get in the way. Also homing weaponry will target them, which is awful.

I'll put my vote in for shuffle wands sucking too. They're really only trashcans for unused spells you still want to keep, or for specific stuff like flight or teleports.

It's a good fun game still.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 4, 2019

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Excussssssssseeeeeeeeeeee me?

https://i.imgur.com/Cdga76F.mp4

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm kind of never sure what to do with shuffle wands because unless i stack a bunch of really similar things on it i have a high chance of just casting something outright negative for the situation i'm in and blowing myself up or just making things worse overall

it kind of defeats the purpose of what they're going for if i have to work against the idea of it to make it 'usable'

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Yeah shuffle wands 100% need to go. They're not fun to work with and are just a chaotic mess when designing a wand.

A better interface for wand-crafting would be nice. I'd like to be able to see how much total mana is being used in a single shot, so to help me figure out what other spells I can fit. Also make it clearer what spells and effects are effecting each other in the interface. I kind of have to do everything in my head, and it gets confusing with a wand with 25 slots...

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 4, 2019

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Yeah shuffle wands 100% need to go. They're not fun to work with and are just a chaotic mess when designing a wand.

A better interface for wand-crafting would be nice. I'd like to be able to see how much total mana is being used in a single shot, so to help me figure out what other spells I can fit. Also make it clearer what spells and effects are effecting each other in the interface. I kind of have to do everything in my head, and it gets confusing with a wand with 25 slots...

I like the idea behind shuffle wands and think they could be a lot of fun in a different game, but, in practice, they don't fit the deliberate feel of Noita. Like a few other people here have mentioned, I wind up using them either to store multiples of a spell, or, if I pick one up outside of the Holy Mountain, to keep their spells until I can remove them and place them in non-shuffle wands. They don't actually add anything to the game play except wands found in the wild that range from "no more useful than a non-shuffle wand" to "uselessly random." The most common way they affect a given run is by filling up an inventory slot until their spells can be removed and the wand can be dumped.

I really want to like them, and think they're a compelling idea, but they're so common and boring that they can be removed from the game and I wouldn't bat an eye. They could be fun if they were a) rare, and b) always loaded with 2-3 level out-of-depth spells and modifiers for the sheer chaos of that, but as they stand, they just aren't fun.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Some polymorph forms take fall damage.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

shuffle wands are for machineguns where you just throw a bunch of bullshit in them and don't care what order it comes out in

they're fine for this, the problem is just that late game enemies don't really die to that anymore and instead you need to delete them with some kind of insane nightmare combo that you can't do in a shuffle wand, so by the end anything that has shuffle on it just seems useless

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
It'd be fine if you could more reliably build machineguns but I feel like shuffle wands frequently have absurdly more slots than I could ever fill with appropriate spam attacks anyway. They're not an unsalvageable idea but they're definitely in a weird spot.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

IronicDongz posted:

Some polymorph forms take fall damage.

No like how did I go through the portal and end up back in the world then go through again and finally go in

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ass_Burgerer posted:

What if there was a spellmod that was "cast the next spell from a random slot with heavily reduced cooldown", and that some wands spawned with that spellmod as an always active passive? Not sure what stacking multiple shuffle spellmods would do, though.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

trigger and timer spells generally just aren't very good. triggers sometimes work if you get the right thing, but timers are just trash, and all of them not being able to multicast/shotgun is just balls. i wish the game parsed wands to "spell groups" and then casted just those. That would help with shuffle wands too, if it shuffled the spell groups rather than everything on the wand. I wish the game would give us a choice of perks at the start. Getting to choose toxic immune, fire immune, or edit wands anywhere at the start (and having that be the only way you will ever see them) would be a massive game changer.

oh yeah, the holy mountain really needs to refill potions too dammit.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Here's a couple of beginner questions that the game doesn't make clear:

- What's the shuffle about? The wand has random abilities and it just casts them in random order instead of from left to right?

- How do you edit wands? You find magic spells in the world when you get further and put them in the wands? Can you put them in any wand you like?

Mind you, this is from someone who only barely has made it to level 3 (ice cave) and got completely murdered by all the gunners and snipers.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Correct on shuffle wands, they effectively scramble the spell order when they recharge, including modifiers.

You can edit your wands in the safe zones between levels. Just drag and drop the spell icons in your inventory screen.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

NecroMonster posted:

trigger and timer spells generally just aren't very good. triggers sometimes work if you get the right thing, but timers are just trash, and all of them not being able to multicast/shotgun is just balls.
I don't agree that trigger spells aren't very good. You need to build around it but once you do they're very strong. Can't multicast multiple triggers at once because the first will "grab" the later ones, but you can trigger a multicast. Which is bonkers strong because it lets you have all the damage of all the spells attached to the multicast added to the one fast accurate trigger spell.

like this one

which shoots a magic arrow with trigger, which leads to a damage boosted shock boosted triple cast of sawblades.
When I shoot a guy with it, he instantly takes all the damage of all 3 damage boosted sawblades since they all spawn inside his body. (And also all 3 have a chance to stun him since they're electric as well.)

I basically rolled over the game with that wand. Obviously you don't always get stuff like damage boost and shock modifiers, but even just with the sawblades this is very strong for how fast it shoots-and trigger arrow/sparkbolt and then sawblade/firebolt are all common spells that don't cost a huge amount of mana, so you can usually put together strong wands like this. I look to put together trigger spell combo wands like this basically every run, and I think most runs I end up getting something more useful than whatever machinegun wand I have by that point. Big burst damage is really good in this game and it's better when you can do it more accurately and from longer range(which is what this lets you do as opposed to a shotgun wand).

Timer is obviously just a worse version of trigger though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Yeah triggers + modifiers are the way to go with making powerful wands. It's also how you make melee range spells usable. For example trigger -> quadruple spell -> 4 chainsaws gives the projectile a nice damage boost and cuts the cycle time a lot, making for a good machinegun type wand.