Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

NEW YORK, September 30, 2019 – Randy sees an opportunity for TEGRIDY in China in the newest episode of South Park titled, “Band in China” airing on Wednesday, October 2 at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT on Comedy Central.

Randy lands himself in big trouble on a visit to China. Meanwhile, Stan starts a band to work out his frustration over having to move away from South Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXCAjyqJutA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

NEW YORK, September 30, 2019 – Randy sees an opportunity for TEGRIDY in China in the newest episode of South Park titled, “Band in China” airing on Wednesday, October 2 at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT on Comedy Central.

Randy lands himself in big trouble on a visit to China. Meanwhile, Stan starts a band to work out his frustration over having to move away from South Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXCAjyqJutA

SP taking Randy and trying to give him a folksy twang because he's got 'tegridy now feels like kind of a lame adaptation to the character...until he comes off it when he's startled.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hope Randy thinking he’s the first to do some obvious idea is a recurring theme this season.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Alright, look, I don't mind the Randy Marsh Adventures (sometimes) if they're isolated, but I don't know if I can do an entire season's worth.

You know what I could do an entire season's worth of, though? Stan Marsh Death Metal. :tviv:

e- This flight. :laffo:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 3, 2019

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hahaha, Stan's band.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I thought Kenny would be the lead singer in the death metal band since he's a Lovecraftian abomination and all.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Shitenshi posted:

I thought Kenny would be the lead singer in the death metal band since he's a Lovecraftian abomination and all.

Kinda bummed Butters doesn't growl, too.

e- Dear God, Randy, Winnie the Pooh, and Piglet in a Chinese hard labor camp. I already love this plot.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 3, 2019

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Mickey is always a great guest star

OH poo poo

Zero One fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 3, 2019

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Randy killing Pooh is kind of disturbing

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Zero One posted:

Mickey is always a great guest star

OH poo poo

Mother of God, now Fingerbang?

e- I wondered how it was 1984.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Holy loving poo poo guys.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol Fingerbang callback

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The hell was that junk they dropped in Randy's yard?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Shitenshi posted:

It was a dump truck of money

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Shitenshi posted:

It was money.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I kinda liked this one

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pretty good one.

I don't think the Randy plot fit together very well. Like it goes from Randy appearing before judges with Pooh and Piglet in prison, to the next China scene all of them are out and getting chewed out by Mickey. And then Randy wants to help Mickey for some reason. And somehow him killing Pooh makes them ok with him selling weed there.

Solid gags throughout though. Randy's ad for the Chinese market was great.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The episode says look it up, so I did.

China memes are really weak because I just don't see it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't see it either

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's more funny because China went crazy about censoring this meme to the point of the entire Winnie the Pooh franchise in any context.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's more funny because China went crazy about censoring this meme to the point of the entire Winnie the Pooh franchise in any context.

Yeah that's why it's being made fun of.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"Dad, why are you covered in honey and blood? Dad, did you kill Winnie the Pooh?"
"Oh, yeah, I killed Winnie the Pooh."

This was a really good one.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Kinda bummed Butters doesn't growl, too.

No that totally works, there's always some bassist with a wimpier voice who randomly yells once in a while.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 3, 2019

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

Pretty good one.

I don't think the Randy plot fit together very well. Like it goes from Randy appearing before judges with Pooh and Piglet in prison, to the next China scene all of them are out and getting chewed out by Mickey. And then Randy wants to help Mickey for some reason. And somehow him killing Pooh makes them ok with him selling weed there.

Solid gags throughout though. Randy's ad for the Chinese market was great.

It fit together. But they did some creative plot jumping with the judges. As it was all in Chinese and seeing what happens after, seems pretty obvious Randy worked out a deal with the judges.

It would be interesting to know what was actually said, but knowing South Park, it was probably all gibberish.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It fit together. But they did some creative plot jumping with the judges. As it was all in Chinese and seeing what happens after, seems pretty obvious Randy worked out a deal with the judges.

It would be interesting to know what was actually said, but knowing South Park, it was probably all gibberish.

Yeah, it wasn't like, incomprehensible, it just felt like a couple of key things weren't there and left up to the viewer to be like "I guess that happened offscreen"

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

CBJSprague24 posted:

SP taking Randy and trying to give him a folksy twang because he's got 'tegridy now feels like kind of a lame adaptation to the character...until he comes off it when he's startled.

he wont admit it, but he is a little bit country

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Tenzarin posted:

China memes are really weak because I just don't see it.

eh a tiger doesnt change its stripes, but a tigger does

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Chinese characters clearly aren't voiced by native Chinese speakers and Mickey was just mumbling gibberish. The City Wok guy is meant to be a racist depiction but here I think they literally just don't care.

That aside these two episodes had zero laughs. The fingerbang stuff felt like bad fan fic.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Vegetable posted:

The Chinese characters clearly aren't voiced by native Chinese speakers and Mickey was just mumbling gibberish. The City Wok guy is meant to be a racist depiction but here I think they literally just don't care.

That aside these two episodes had zero laughs. The fingerbang stuff felt like bad fan fic.

Confirmed. I live in Taiwan and my Taiwanese girlfriend couldn't understand what Mickey was saying either. The rest of the Chinese was fine though, and trust me I'd hear about it if their accents weren't at least passable. She couldn't take Daredevil seriously because Madame Gao's accent was wrong, and she calls out Michelle Yeoh's awful accent as well, so that she didn't say anything here is a good sign.

We both laughed a lot at the episode. As an American I understand that a lot of what happens in China flies under the radar over there but seeing South Park call out their poo poo was pretty nice, as was them taking shots at Western business for trying to cater to their demands in the name of profit. Always great seeing them take shots at Disney and the biopic joke was well done. Stan's band being death metal was a little out of date but worked.

edit: Slightly off topic. I watched this episode after getting back from seeing Joker and at the theater caught a poster for an upcoming Taiwanese movie called Detention. Detention is a horror film based off a video game from a local developer. The developer is notable for previously having created the video game 'Devotion' which achieved notoriety for being removed from Steam following backlash from China for having referenced the 'Xi Jingping Winnie the Pooh' meme. So it was strange coincidence to be reminded of that meme twice in the same night from very different sources.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 3, 2019

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Vegetable posted:

yeah, it isn't like whenever they do Japanese and thus can get Trey's fluency in there.

but as someone who's been monitoring all the China-pandering in media (like Bohemian Rhapsody having to pretty much scrub Freddie Mercury's homosexuality even in the original cut, let alone the one released in the PRC) this was a good episode. we need more Stan Marsh death metal.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Was it maybe a subtle joke that Mickey can't speak Chinese?

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Zero One posted:

It makes sense. He doesn't care about their language or culture, he just wants to do just enough to get their money.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

King Vidiot posted:

That's actually what they do in real-life, specifically because if they show up in uniforms then people won't open their doors for them. Being a plainclothes secret police force and basically tricking people into letting them into their homes (which by law the residents don't have to do) is loving scummy but not technically against the law if people willingly let them in.

Also Matt and Trey, while being staunch "non-political libertarians" always kind of skewed left in their politics. I mean go back and watch the Goobacks episode that was literally making fun of the MAGA crowd before there was a MAGA crowd to make fun of. They took ER JEEEEERBS!

That's not skewing left - super libertarian types are pro immigration too but for different reasons.
I don't think I'll ever forgive them for their global warming poo poo.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Zero One posted:

I don’t think so. The voice actor sounded like a typical white guy following a phonetic script (poorly).

It’s nice that South Park is calling out Hollywood’s acquiescence to China’s censorship. But I don’t understand why they need to frame this season around Tegridy Farms. It makes the plot lines seem somewhat unfocused. Not sure what I’m supposed to get out of Randy’s shenanigans.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Vegetable posted:

I don’t think so. The voice actor sounded like a typical white guy following a phonetic script (poorly).

It’s nice that South Park is calling out Hollywood’s acquiescence to China’s censorship. But I don’t understand why they need to frame this season around Tegridy Farms. It makes the plot lines seem somewhat unfocused. Not sure what I’m supposed to get out of Randy’s shenanigans.

I think all you're supposed to get from it is that Randy is an rear end in a top hat. I suspect as the season goes on he'll just keep doing worse and worse things until he literally becomes a super villain.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Vegetable posted:

Cause gently caress South Park.

Matt & Trey obviously have always loved Randy. Seems they decided to go full force with their love and make the season revolve around Randy and Tegridy with a little bit of the boys thrown in.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I think all you're supposed to get from it is that Randy is an rear end in a top hat. I suspect as the season goes on he'll just keep doing worse and worse things until he literally becomes a super villain.

Cause despite what he says, it's clear he has no integrity.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_3oXfgB35E&t=100s

Sigh.

It wasn't funny at all. And they are using other peoples jokes now, too.

I liked the death metal bit.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Waltzing Along posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_3oXfgB35E&t=100s

Sigh.

It wasn't funny at all. And they are using other peoples jokes now, too.

I liked the death metal bit.
ah yes, as everyone knows Red Dwarf was the first TV show to ever write about killing the winnie the pooh and so everyone else who ever writes a joke about killing winnie the pooh is just ripping them off

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Vegetable posted:

Not sure what I’m supposed to get out of Randy’s shenanigans.

I think it's essentially a satire of how when a "disruptive" startup actually succeeds, it inevitably becomes exactly the kind of corporation it was supposedly rebelling against. Plus Randy being stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

It felt to me like they were trying to make Randy in the hard labor camp be a funny thing but then wanted him to be able to talk his way out of prison usin' good ol' 'Merican Tegridy. Randy, from time to time, has been overly eager to be part of something and goes to great lengths to do it, so whoring himself out to Mickey for his own gain kind of fits.