Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
IIRC, Ryzen Balanced is an older powerplan that Windows cooked up for first-generation Ryzen processors because the kernel wasn't NUMA-aware enough to handle boosting up or down chiplets, which was basically a bludgeon that didn't let the chip clock down below a certain powerstate, ever, and is not needed anymore now that Microsoft has had a few years of "somebody out there other than Intel makes chips that are worth a drat" under their belt now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

From what I've read Ryzen Balanced was meant for the older 1600 series and it prevented them from going into some ultra low state but at the expense of keeping them running relatively hot. But the windows updates in 2019 fixed those problems so Ryzen Balanced isn't needed anymore. Windows Balanced should let your processor wind down and up normally.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It was added to address performance issues in Windows 10, due to aggressively parking cores of first generation Ryzen CPUs, which Microsoft eventually fixed. Ryzen Balanced is still supposed to handle the cores more "optimally" or whatever you want to call it (which is why they still install it with the chipset driver). People always see the 90% number in their power plan and freak out about monitoring software telling them how hot/fast their CPU runs while idle, but Ryzen Balanced is actually supposed to be using the cores' lowest power states, it's just that polling the cores tends to wake them up from sleep constantly.

Still, unless you have a specific use case that profits from the last 1% or w/e performance, you can use Windows' power plan instead of AMD's.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Ryzen Balanced is recommended for zen2. It was a legacy setting, but with 1903 and the latest chipset drivers AMD brought it back.

If you change to windows balanced it will boost slower but perform more or less the same in real-world tasks.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I still see YouTubers recommending people run High Performance.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That's because YouTubers don't actually bother to understand what the gently caress the shiny buttons actually do.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sounds like Intel lost their loving poo poo and halved their prices on X299 refresh.

Not "cut prices slightly". Not "ignored AMD like they've done since forever". Halved. They just loving freaked the poo poo out.

How zen of them

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Bizzarro world where you ask "hey how much for 16c part" and the answer is "we literally don't have one but please pay for 18c"

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Ryzen Balanced was explicitly recommended by AMD at Zen 2's launch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

This is great, because originally, Ryzen Balanced was explicitly recommended by AMD, but then regular Balanced was explicitly recommended, but then AMD did a 180, and now you're supposed to be on Balanced on Zen 2000 and Ryzen Balanced on Zen 3000.

Unless they did another 180 recently (within the past weeks).

Owning a Ryzen CPU is great for your mental health.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ufarn posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

This is great, because originally, Ryzen Balanced was explicitly recommended by AMD, but then regular Balanced was explicitly recommended, but then AMD did a 180, and now you're supposed to be on Balanced on Zen 2000 and Ryzen Balanced on Zen 3000.

They are both very similar pick one and figure out what they recommend in 6 months.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I mean, the Chipset driver also automatically puts you on Ryzen Balanced during installation.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Ryzen 5 3580U and Ryzen 7 3780U "Surface Edition" will power the new Microsoft Surface Laptop 3. 15W part with an envelope up to 25W, RX Vega 11 graphics. Still worse than a goddamn MX150, but I'm going to give them the kudos anyways, because I looked up previous Vega 11 benches, and the AMD-provided bench numbers in Timespy and 3DMark11 are about -3% worse than the other chip that they were in: the Ryzen 5 2400G, which is a 65W(!) part.

And to think they WEREN'T going to backport RIS to Vega.

I hope someone took a baseball bat and administered some savage beatings to whoever decided that porting RIS to Vega wasn't important.

Monolithic, as was expected:

AMD-provided benches: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-amd-surface-laptop-3-surface-edition-ryzen,40531.html

Alas, I think the worst bit to come out of today was that there is no Surface Go 2, anything below the Surface Pro 7 is getting ARM instead of x86.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 2, 2019

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Very curious to see some Solidworks benchmarks on those and Ice Lake. I'll be happy to ditch having a dGPU.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Ryzen 5 3580U and Ryzen 7 3780U "Surface Edition" will power the new Microsoft Surface Laptop 3. 15W part with an envelope up to 25W, RX Vega 11 graphics. Still worse than a goddamn MX150, but I'm going to give them the kudos anyways, because I looked up previous Vega 11 benches, and the AMD-provided bench numbers in Timespy and 3DMark11 are about -3% worse than the other chip that they were in: the Ryzen 5 2400G, which is a 65W(!) part.

I hope someone took a baseball bat and administered some savage beatings to whoever decided that porting RIS to Vega wasn't important.

AMD-provided benches: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-amd-surface-laptop-3-surface-edition-ryzen,40531.html

Alas, I think the worst bit to come out of today was that there is no Surface Go 2, anything below the Surface Pro 7 is getting ARM instead of x86.

How big is the mx150 vs the lower power vega 11 and isn't vega 11 on the cpu?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
74mm^2, and the chip pictured on the left there is the whole Ryzen shebang.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This is unfortunate. My Surface 3 has found a new raison d'etre with WoW Classic and a more performant device in the same form factor would have been great. Still used Surface Go 1s out there, I guess.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The Pro X is a $1,000 tablet with yet another dumb custom windows branch and the need to run x86 through an emulator. Microsoft seems to think people are actually going to cross shop this with an iPad Pro or MacBook Air, and they are wrong... again. The press bites on Microsofts hype every time, you think they would learn eventually.

I think the x86 worlds bigger concerns are still Apple going all custom, and accelerators sucking up all the server profit margin.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I think it's weird that AMD hasn't moved its mobile parts to 7nm

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Malcolm XML posted:

Yet. There is every intention, and probably next year. Microsoft needed something now, and this is just 1% Picasso bins, and I think that works fine. Microsoft claims custom silicon though, but it looks and sounds just like a RR/Picasso. Like is it a full new chip on 12nmLP, using 7.5T libararies and like, Zen2 core design? Backported 7nm Vega? The hell is supposed to be custom about it?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

EmpyreanFlux posted:

The hell is supposed to be custom about it?
It has "microsoft" etched on the top.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Malcolm XML posted:

Mobile and APU parts are one year behind desktop and server. That's just AMD's release cycle since 2016 at least.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

is all ZEN done with TSMC or GlobalFoundries?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

incoherent posted:

is all ZEN done with TSMC or GlobalFoundries?

Yes. TSMC for 7nm and GF for everything else.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Malcolm XML posted:

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Yet. There is every intention, and probably next year. Microsoft needed something now, and this is just 1% Picasso bins, and I think that works fine. Microsoft claims custom silicon though, but it looks and sounds just like a RR/Picasso. Like is it a full new chip on 12nmLP, using 7.5T libararies and like, Zen2 core design? Backported 7nm Vega? The hell is supposed to be custom about it?

These are clearly GF WSA fulfillment parts, and TSMC is having capacity problems.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

ufarn posted:

Balanced floats my 3600X over 4.1 GHZ without any noticeable throttling.

so, huh

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Balanced floats my 3600X over 4.1 GHZ without any noticeable throttling.

so, huh
They should be able to hit the same boost speeds. Ryzen Balanced can do some magic where it goes from 0-100 real fast, while windows balanced does it 10x slower but still really fast. We're talking tiny fractions of a second here.

Apr 7, 2003

Khorne posted:

They should be able to hit the same boost speeds. Ryzen Balanced can do some magic where it goes from 0-100 real fast, while windows balanced does it 10x slower but still really fast. We're talking tiny fractions of a second here.

What bugs me is that it doesn't throttle down below 4ghz.

No reason to be running at 4.1ghz when I'm just doing some gmail poo poo and picking my nose.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

What bugs me is that it doesn't throttle down below 4ghz.

No reason to be running at 4.1ghz when I'm just doing some gmail poo poo and picking my nose.
Oh, it will behave like that under any profile. I wouldn't worry about it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So why doesn't it ever power down to save energy? I have to use power saver and it will go down to 1.5ghz.

Apr 7, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

So why doesn't it ever power down to save energy? I have to use power saver and it will go down to 1.5ghz.

I'm mostly concerned about overheating, I like to leave mine on all day and I live in a house without central air so the AC is off when I'm at work. Not a huge fan of it turboing up to 4.2ghz for no reason while I'm out and the sun is making GBS threads on the room.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I mean why doesn't the "Balanced" power profile ever power down when it's not doing anything. I could just be reading a blog and like 4 processors are going nuts and the peak cpu limit is constantly at 99% according to Ryzen Master. Meanwhile if I set it on power saver the computer runs ultra cool even with a billion tabs open.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Those would be good questions to ask AMD support or your mobo manufacturer.
Does it actually run cooler though? You'd have to test with a killawatt or something along those lines in idle, because the numbers Zenmaster or any other software report are not reliable at all.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Frequency is not the sole mechanism that determines power consumption. Also, it's unlikely your computer is going to cook itself when not monitored. if your are still concerned, put the system to sleep.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 3, 2019

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

Does it actually run cooler though? You'd have to test with a killawatt or something along those lines in idle, because the numbers Zenmaster or any other software report are not reliable at all.

Ryzen master and newer versions of CPU-Z should accurately report idle power and voltages.

Ryzen 3XXX CPUs being to aggressive on moving into high power stated is a common complaint, but AMD seems to have fixed it with the newest AGESA. Try updating your bios if there's a ABBA release available.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Efb

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

sauer kraut posted:

I know it's cooler because it reports my CPU is at 35 degrees when I'm doing everyday stuff in Power Saver while it goes up to 45-50 on Ryzen Balanced. I'm happy with the performance I just think it's weird that in default settings the processor doesn't slow down when nothing is happening.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The default setting is intended to be "CPU manages putting cores to sleep when nothing is happening via fine-grained voltage control", it's absolutely supposed to save power while idling, this just doesn't seem to work in all configurations (the Windows method always works because it's more blunt in how it tries to safe power).

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So with regards to the new surface laptops what sort of performance upgrade are the AMD chips compared with the Intel ones in the 13 inch model?

Is it likely to be worth the upgrade if you’re only doing light video, photo editing and the occasional strategy game (civilisation 6 and hopefully 7, EU4 etc)?

I’m presuming both will be fine for day to day excel and word tasks that I mainly do.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I *really* want a decent AMD powered laptop now, and it looks like surface will be it.

However, windows is an anathema to my productivity, so I'd like to run a linux on it :rip:
The last surface still hasn't had all its issues fixed on linux last i checked lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
is there anything definitive on whether current B450/X470 boards will be able to run Ryzens 4000s?