Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
No one cares when you’re a nobody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

AceOfFlames posted:

I remember some comedian (it might have been Chapelle?) saying that the bad thing about people recording standup is that especially early in one's standup career, you're supposed to do a lot of shows, bomb extremely often and see what works and what doesn't, and that now all your mistakes can be recorded and used to trash your credibility even if you don't say anything problematic. I guess that was just a lot of bullshit, huh? That statement really got to me since I have a crippling fear of failure and having a running tally of all my mistakes is terrifying to me.

Every comedian "works out" their material through a process of trial and error. There's plenty of artists and craftsmen who don't want their early drafts to be out in the world for critique, and that's pretty understandable. Whether that's the "real" reason any given comedian doesn't allow recording at their shows is anyone's guess, but like with most things in life it was probably a combination of factors that lead them to make that decision.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I'm an adult and I can't put my phone down for an hour.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I went to a Hannah Gadsby show where she had everyone put their phones in those locked pocket things, but she said it wasn't about recording or anything but that she just got completely distracted when she saw the lights from people using their phones in the audience, which I totally get, since I always go crazy in cinemas when people are on their phones.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

“This is a sacred place put away your goddamn phone”

I say as I abuse them GG Allin style

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

As long as Louis CK is doing semi-secret shows in comedy clubs as if he invented the Andrew Dice Clay routine, he will never be a big deal again, so all's well that ends well.

On the other hand, we should worry if he starts opening Louis CK Memorial Computer Labs.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

remember that episode of Louis where he buys limos for all the kids because woe is my life

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Sodomy Hussein posted:

As long as Louis CK is doing semi-secret shows in comedy clubs as if he invented the Andrew Dice Clay routine, he will never be a big deal again, so all's well that ends well.

On the other hand, we should worry if he starts opening Louis CK Memorial Computer Labs.

I mean if he opened a MEMORIAL lab for himself, it would be quite impressive. :v:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Put it in a library so creeps can jack off to him jacking off

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
I find it hard to give a poo poo about hashing out the exact term limits of whether a celebrity can and has 'redeemed' themselves for vile behaviour and can go back to earning the same money as before because they literally have so much money that they could stop thousands of people dying at any point and still live in utter luxury for the rest of their lives.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
It's kinda like when some C-Grade youtube star gets demonetized and everyone starts crying about 'their only means of income!!'

gently caress you dude you got to ride the gravy train longer than any of us poor schlubs and will probably continue to live a far better life than is justified, go get a real loving job and hope you had the foresight to bank some of that cashola

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

NiceGuy posted:

It's kinda like when some C-Grade youtube star gets demonetized and everyone starts crying about 'their only means of income!!'

gently caress you dude you got to ride the gravy train longer than any of us poor schlubs and will probably continue to live a far better life than is justified, go get a real loving job and hope you had the foresight to bank some of that cashola

A lot of those people don't make as much money as you think.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Youtube generally pays poo poo even if you have tens of thousands of regular views. Only the most massive channels make a living wage on it's own. Mostly it's merch and things like Patreon that really get you money. If you are an 'influencer' there is the chance you'll get paid to showcase something too.

For smaller and mid-level channels, the important part of monetization is getting your channel recommended to viewers that might be interested in that content. It's what gets you new Patrons and new folks buying stuff for you. And if you are the type of channel where you want corporate support, the numbers show you are a worthwhile investment.

So yeah, in a very real sense the C-grade youtuber IS the one most at risk from Youtube going 'This isn't breaking any rules but we don't want to deal with it". That's the poo poo that stops people from moving up and growing the channel. Of course they are going to raise ruckus. It's their livelihood on the block.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

AceOfFlames posted:

A lot of those people don't make as much money as you think.

Yeah but playing videogames in your room isn’t a real job so who cares

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I watch a channel that has nearly a million subs on Youtube and puts out videos every day. If they weren't also streaming on Twitch they'd have had to quit by now, Youtube pays so poorly for people whose audience is adults. As it is they've been forced after years of resistance to open a Patreon.
Hell, if they weren't also in the incredibly specific niche of being the people Mojang go to for Minecraft trailers they might have folded years ago.

One of the big name UK networks makes enough for the people involved to live, but their owner recently said the reason they're still bothering is the charity drive they do each December (they raise millions of dollars each year) in partnership with Humble etc.

Youtubers present a lifestyle persona to their audience because their audience expect their lives to be aspirational. Never make the mistake of thinking the majority of the 'successful' ones are on the gravy train. That's reserved for the crypto-fascist one-percenters like Pewdiepie.

Bust Rodd posted:

By all accounts it's actually incredibly stressful and can seriously harm the mental health of the person doing it. Between the effects of presenting an aspirational lifestyle on minimal income, and the burden of a para-social relationship with a fanbase.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 2, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

This is bullshit actually. It is not just playing video games but being a constantly on source of entertainment. It is actually absurdly stress ful, time consuming and bad for your health. Playing games is a lot less fun when it is an obligation and you can't take a break.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

This is bullshit actually. It is not just playing video games but being a constantly on source of entertainment. It is actually absurdly stress ful, time consuming and bad for your health. Playing games is a lot less fun when it is an obligation and you can't take a break.

You’re still not describing a job, you’re describing a hobby that some people want to pretend is their only option for survival and treating them like their situation is anyone’s fault but their own is wild.

The STRESS comes from constantly applying themes of monetization to every aspect of your life, the desire to constantly be on and producing content, but the actual act of streaming, gaming, and editing footage itself isn’t anymore stressful than any other run of the mill desk job, except the hours shittier (which, again, is self-inflicted)

Another way of looking at it is that when you think of the payoff for a really stressful career, you think of like Lumberjacks or Neurosurgeons, people who make absolute craploads of money for the stressful thing they do all day.

A pro-youtuber not named Pewdiepie or Jake Paul might feel constant anxiety and stress at not being famous, marketable, sponsored, or even monetized, but the stress is not coming from the work, the stress is coming from the fact that the bubble has effectively already burst and “playing videogames on camera for children” isn’t a career.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 2, 2019

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

streamers need a union

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

I feel bad whenever I hear kids aspiring to be a Youtube star as a career. I imagine it's super lovely competing in a field where one company determines the rules. And it's not just Youtube that's lovely, Patreon is lovely, maybe Twitch is too? You're at the mercy of the next ToS update.

At least in the old days, your old videos still got watched, nowadays YT seems to want to bury everything that happened last week, putting more strain on creators.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Bust Rodd posted:

You’re still not describing a job, you’re describing a hobby that some people want to pretend is their only option for survival and treating them like their situation is anyone’s fault but their own is wild.

The STRESS comes from constantly applying themes of monetization to every aspect of your life, the desire to constantly be on and producing content, but the actual act of streaming, gaming, and editing footage itself isn’t anymore stressful than any other run of the mill desk job, except the hours shittier (which, again, is self-inflicted)

Another way of looking at it is that when you think of the payoff for a really stressful career, you think of like Lumberjacks or Neurosurgeons, people who make absolute craploads of money for the stressful thing they do all day.

A pro-youtuber not named Pewdiepie or Jake Paul might feel constant anxiety and stress at not being famous, marketable, sponsored, or even monetized, but the stress is not coming from the work, the stress is coming from the fact that the bubble has effectively already burst and “playing videogames on camera for children” isn’t a career.

You sound like an out of touch grandpa.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

You sound like an out of touch grandpa.

I really don’t need to be in touch with a generation that eats laundry soap

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What’s a real job to you

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

youtuber computer memorial hall

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Gary Larson, against whose express wishes i am posting this comical page, is clearly some kind of prophet

i don't think he's raped anyone though

sorry to mention you in the sexual assault thread Mr. Larson, thereby associating you with the criminal sexual culture of Hollywood; please accept my apologies for both of the ways i've presently wronged you

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Do you get your news from the funnies page or something

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
A lot of streamers have lucked into a good alternative to lovely propsects like store clerk or lyft driver or government jobs or whatever, it's fine.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
Based on my kid's reaction to YouTube through his seven years of life, being a "YouTuber" is here to stay.

However, it will continue to be a career actually only open to a select few whose parents can afford to buy them enough views to become famous.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
This thread really has the longest derails.

Are there really no new sexual assaults in Hollywood, and has the culture changed for the better?

These days it's two years since the Weinstein accusations, where are we now? Isn't sexual assault and hollywood rape culture worse than putting standup comedians on youtube?

Alan Dershowitz’s new book will counter the #MeToo movement

The women (and men) who came forward about sexual assault and harassment tell about everything that came after.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bust Rodd posted:

I think of people who work 60 hours of fast food.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 2, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Bust Rodd posted:

lol grandpa here getting his news from fuckin' e-mail forwards. next he'll be telling us about this touching story about a soldier who went to college but really he was the one doing the teaching

and he was also Albert Einstein

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Streamers make content for children.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

sponges posted:

Streamers make content for children.

Game streaming is child labor.

*Unless you're older and choose to do it for money, in which case shut up about it being a "hard job".

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mulva posted:

So yeah, in a very real sense the C-grade youtuber IS the one most at risk from Youtube going 'This isn't breaking any rules but we don't want to deal with it". That's the poo poo that stops people from moving up and growing the channel. Of course they are going to raise ruckus. It's their livelihood on the block.

Nasim Aghdam was really angry that some of her videos had hundreds of thousands of views and she only received ten cents. That's part of the reason she bought the gun and headed to YouTube headquarters last year.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

By all accounts it's actually incredibly stressful and can seriously harm the mental health of the person doing it. Between the effects of presenting an aspirational lifestyle on minimal income, and the burden of a para-social relationship with a fanbase.

Some of those speedrunners sit in a chair all day like a prisoner. Attempting their 50,000th Super Mario Brothers world record run.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

kjetting posted:

Are there really no new sexual assaults in Hollywood, and has the culture changed for the better?

Placido Domingo resigns as general director of Los Angeles Opera amid sexual harassment firestorm
https://abc7.com/entertainment/placido-domingo-resigns-as-la-opera-general-director-amid-harassment-accusations/5585530/

Ed Buck finally arrested
https://apnews.com/4f2f1f7bb4f24663ad2fbd3e5f14f29f

Russell Simmons banned from West Village yoga studio amid #MeToo accusations
https://pagesix.com/2019/09/14/russell-simmons-banned-from-west-village-yoga-studio-amid-metoo-accusations/

R. Kelly Complains About Not Being Able To See Both His Girlfriends During Jail Visits
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/r-kelly-complains-not-being-190120834.html

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

AP posted:

Both men who died were black. Buck, who is white, was not charged for more than two years after Moore’s death, and critics have questioned if wealth, race or political ties influenced the investigation.

Buck has donated tens of thousands of dollars to California candidates, including Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom, and is well known in LGBTQ political circles.

Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey, who is black and charged Buck this week with running a drug house, rejected the notion that there was any favoritism based on campaign donations.
That's a lot of bang for your bucks :frogbon:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

help me grandpa, i can’t click my book

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Guess it turns out that Bust Rodd likes Cuphead so much because it reminded him of the good old days when he could watch them there Fleischer fella's cartoons in the movie theater for a nickel.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

kjetting posted:

Me, I'm just sad that Terry Richardson didn't get swept up in #METOO because I hate that creep and he really should've been raked over the coals harder for the poo poo he pulled and probably still pulls.

Zogo posted:

Nasim Aghdam was really angry that some of her videos had hundreds of thousands of views and she only received ten cents. That's part of the reason she bought the gun and headed to YouTube headquarters last year.

She was the hero we didn't deserve. RIP

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lfiTebewnc

:laffo::cawg::lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jesus Christ close this loving thread.