Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I just finished Children of Time. Had some slow parts. But overall I enjoyed the book.
Spoilers below:

I was super stressed out at the end thinking the spiders would win. Despite all the world/character building in the novel, I was not infected with the virus and was getting the heebie jeebies visualizing the ship fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

C.M. Kruger posted:

I'm using a Kindle Keyboard I inherited from my grandfather and only recently had to replace the battery. I keep going "the Paperwhite sure looks nice" but really can't justify spending $80 or whatever the new ones run for a marginally better screen/UI when there are other gadgets to buy. Maybe I'll eventually pick up a used Oasis once they go down in price or something.

Right. I spent $25 on ebay awhile ago and got TWO kindle keyboards, a kindle 3 case, and a replacement kindle 3 battery.
Verified both kindle keyboards worked and were both able to connect to the amazon servers. Kept one kindle as a backup device, while I rooted and installed a custom screensavers mod on the other device(the default kindle 3 line art author screensaver-portraits are ugly and terrible imo).

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

New thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3900237&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Everyone make sure to update your bookmarks for the new thread!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's a lot going on with that one. It was his first novel and he wrote it while working at the Social Security administration, mostly as a pet project. Apparently the bureaucracy of the Houses of Life and Death is intended as a roman a clef of government bureaucracies, or at least that's what I've read, anyway.

Past that. . yeah you can probably dig as much into that one as you want. One neat thing about it: if you'll note, almost every chapter is written in a different format -- one chapter is a play, one's a lyric poem, one's a prayer, etc.

I think for the most part he's jazzing around but he's a very smart man doing the jazzing around so there are probably a fair number of connections intended also. I'd love to see an annotated version of that one. I think he just had a lot of ideas floating around in his head and since it was his first novel he threw them all in at once rather than making each one a separate story.