Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Hollow Talk posted:

The biggest advantage of byod is that I can just tell people that the printer not working from Excel on their Windows Laptop isn't my problem. :getin:

Can you open it in web excel? :getin-butwithfireeyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Welp, old CIO retired (got pushed out by the board maybe) and new CIO started this week. He got fired from his last CIO job and had an IT staff of 5 outsourced staff (why you need a CIO for 5 non-employees, I don't know). Now he has a staff of nearly a thousand in a global company and he has an interesting approach.

First, he is a total dick. You would think someone who got fired from his last job would have an ounce humbleness, but no. Full on narcissist. He walked through the door and without taking an inventory at the infrastructure or personal he was taking over, he instructed all his direct reports to slash 25% of their next annual budgets. It was probably what he was brought in to do, sure, but he also has directed them to finish these budget cuts by the next business week. Everyone is in full panic mode.

My EVP is making GBS threads himself. He is taking my teams cost savings initiatives (which are pretty massive) and over reporting the savings because he can't read reports and do basic math correctly. Now after presenting them, he has gone back to the CIO to correct the numbers and the CIO isn't budging. "You said you save this so DO IT." I was told to no longer cut the fat. We are cutting to the bone now and are somehow suppose to not disrupt anything doing it.

Needless to say, I have already starting searching. Seems to always shake out this way the closer you get to the holiday season. Execs get off on loving up the holidays.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm amazed you made it this far but I'll miss your dumpster fire company posts

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

:yotj:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hey all, I would like to survey the thread about something, would really appreciate your help. I'm trying to gather info outside of my own job history and experience, and I would like to use the results I expect from this as ammo at my current job.

1) Does your org allow working from home and/or remote work?
2) If yes to (1), how often/how much is allowed?
3) If yes to (1), are there any documented requirements for it to be allowed?
4) If no to (1), are there any reasons given why not?
5) Would you consider working for an org that does not permit working from home/remote work?
6) What country are you in?
7) Public or private sector?
8) Union or non-union?

Thank you extremely much.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hey all, I would like to survey the thread about something, would really appreciate your help. I'm trying to gather info outside of my own job history and experience, and I would like to use the results I expect from this as ammo at my current job.

5) Would you consider working for an org that does not permit working from home/remote work?
8) Union or non-union?

1 - Yes
2 - Full Time
3 - Not aware of any
4 - N/A
5 - For $BOAT money, maybe
6 - US
7 - Private
8 - Non-Union

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

1) Yes
2) Manager's discretion - I currently work 1-2 days a week from home. A lot of people work 2-3 days remote, a few are fully remote.
3) We have a telecommuting agreement you must sign with your manager, listing what equipment will be used, when and where you can work remotely, etc.
4) N/A
5) Probably - depends on the role and the company.
6) US
7) Public (University)
8) Non-Union

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yes
"As needed" - I did a few months at 2-3 days a week, but due to other circumstances, currently am only doing 2-3 days a month.
No official WFH policy
It's left to the discretion of the manager
No, I'd love to find a 100% remote job, but I haven't been looking very hard. Partial WFH is a requirement for me.
US
Mixed
8) Union or non-union?
non-union

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

CLAM DOWN posted:

8) Union or non-union?

1. There is currently no policy, we can do it if we need to generally. Not more than once a week is a un-written rule. But when we are doing weird off-hours stuff its ok (General IT infrastructure for small public higher-ed)
4. No real policy because lazy people think that lazy people wont get any work done.
5. Not in the future.
6. US
7. Public
8. Kinda Public Union.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

CLAM DOWN posted:

8) Union or non-union?

1: Yes. We're opening a new office in Amsterdam and have remote employees around the world
2: Some people are fulltime. Most work primarily in the office but work from home occasionally.
3: On my team (internal IT), whomever is on on-call (from 8-8, so not bad at all) works from home that entire week. They work on projects and get some extra cash.
4: N/A
5: I would. I like going into the office and being social. Working remotely for me, personally, would be pretty unpleasant.
6: Canada
7: Private sector
8: lol no

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CLAM DOWN posted:

8) Union or non-union?

1. Yes
2. Schedule a day a week in the contract but it's flexible, usually I do 2-3 days a week WFH
3. No
4. N/A
5. No
6. UK
7. Private
8. Non

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

CLAM DOWN posted:

8) Union or non-union?

1) Yes
2) Generally expected to be in the office, but very flexible with WFH for whatever reason. Doctor's appointments, package coming, overslept, whatever.
3) No, pretty much just between you and your manager
4) N/A
5) I'd consider it, but not very favorably.
6) US
7) Private
8) Non-union

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Proteus Jones posted:

1 - Yes
2 - Full Time
3 - Not aware of any
4 - N/A
6 - US
7 - Private
8 - Non-Union

:same:

Ezekial
Jan 10, 2014

quote:

1) Yes depending on what your job is and who your manager is. IT is 50/50. Engineers are the same. Designers have to show up. Sales is 50/50. HR is 75/25 working from home.
2) Depends on situation. If you're SAP you can work 100% from home. I work in software development, but am 1 out of 3 IT people on prem. I also did the dumb mistake of showing how much I knew, so if there's a local outage outside of my job, I get called still. I work maybe 1 day a week from home.
3) Documentation? hah no. good luck with that. It's between boss and employee.
4) No reason why. Company policy is that you are allowed to, but nothing in writing. My boss was a Psychology major so he has issues with that kind of stuff.
5) Yes, because I'll do anything to make more money than the next person they're interviewing. I work 60 hours a week, and will happily make it 70/80.
6) USA.
7) Private.
8) Non-union.

Ezekial fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 3, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

1) Yes
2) Depends on responsibilities, location, and manager discretion
3) No
5) No
6) USA
7) Private
8) non-union

I will add that I now view WFH of >50% of the days vital to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. I was WFH 3 days a week during my cardiac rehab and was going to request to stay on that schedule for health reasons, but I lucked out and my company closed all the remote offices and made all remote workers work from home 100% rather than have satellite offices.

If I were to change jobs, I would probably take upwards of 15-20% pay cut in order to continue working from home.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is this the same company that wanted to use their own staff in some weird photoshoot?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Is this the same company that wanted to use their own staff in some weird photoshoot?

Nope! Both I and the employee in question no longer work for that company. I now work a logistics company and its plagued with old boys $Business issues like a lot of places are.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful
Yes. Including 100% work from home

For people who live in a city with one of our offices they get 2 days work from home each week. For those of us like me without an office it's 100% work from home. Even those with an office location, if they had a reason to be 100% work from home it'd be allowed (I can think of one person that has some sort of medical reason)

No requirements that I know of. Not sure what the people with an office location have to do but it's pretty consistent that they just "get" 2 days work from home.

N/A

It'd have to be a hell of a job (compensation/benefits) + minimal commute. I'm done with having to drive over an hour one way for a job.

'Merica

Private

8) Union or non-union?
Non-union

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Proteus Jones posted:

1 - Yes
2 - Full Time
3 - Not aware of any
4 - N/A
6 - US
7 - Private
8 - Non-Union

:emptyquote:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

CLAM DOWN posted:

8) Union or non-union?

1) Yes
2) I work full remote
3) In-Office employees are expected to primarily work in-office, but no hard restrictions
4) NA
5) Never fuckin again
6) :911:
7) Private
8) I already said I'm in the US (non)

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

CLAM DOWN posted:

8) Union or non-union?

1) Not fully. If you have way too many days without sleeping well during an oncall schedule, you can tell your boss you'll be working from home which is basically a light duty chit. Otherwise, you have to justify it (need to take care of the kids/have a contractor coming over).

2) N/A

3) N/A

4) Nope, the reasons I think are cultural: if other bosses wander around and see too many empty seats they might talk and make my boss look bad; without people to manage my boss would look bad; this place is dysfunctional.

5) Given that's it would most of the available jobs here...sure.

6) Panama

7) Private

8) Non-union

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Speaking of, is there an actually a reliable place to look for 100% remote jobs or is it still a crapshoot?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thank you all very very much for the responses so far. I'm compiling this stuff in a beautiful powerful spreadsheet. I don't want to distract from any further responses, but I'll post later why I asked this haha

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

Speaking of, is there an actually a reliable place to look for 100% remote jobs or is it still a crapshoot?

I haven't been able to find any of the job search engines that don't include 100% travel as remote.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Not officially but it is done

Usually one or two days here or there

Bad roads, light medical issues, or "need to be home for a contractor/etc" can get you a day or two of WFH. Folks with kids get some if the child can't go to daycare/school due to illness, but this is entirely dependent on specific managers, there's no actual policy allowing it.

n/a

Yep, but it costs $$$

Canada

Private

8) Union or non-union?
Non-union

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

It's mostly a crapshoot, but:
https://github.com/remoteintech/remote-jobs
https://weworkremotely.com/

Siochain posted:

Folks with kids get some if the child can't go to daycare/school due to illness,

In my experience, if I'm home with my kid I'm getting gently caress all done and "WFH" in the instance is just a courtesy so I don't have to take PTO.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 3, 2019

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

CLAM DOWN posted:

8) Union or non-union?

1 - Maybe? Directors with laptops have been given the ability (sans explicit executive permission) to use the client VPN setup. At the same time there have been several cases of directors on extended medical being denied any permission to work despite them wanting to so as not to fall behind.
2 - See above, basically depends on the mood of the executive when asked.
3 - No documentation, the hardest part is Meraki's terrible client VPN.
4 - The claimed reason for the medical leave was that they're being paid out of sick leave which means we can't expect any work even if the employee wants to.
5 - Never done proper WFH so most likely yes, but currentJob is still very hands-on due to municipal tech/infra debt.
6 - US
7 - Public/municipal
8 - Union

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

8) Union or non-union?

I work in consulting/professional services so this might not be helpful, but...

1: Yes
2: I'm entirely WFH or travel to customer site. Roughly 25% travel. I might go to the office once a year.
3: no
5: for a C level or evp position with double the salary maybe
6: USA
7: Private
8: non union

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

8) Union or non-union?

1 - Yes, but only on an ad-hoc basis
2 - More than 1.5 days/week requires line manager approval, but it's mostly "Hey boss, I'll need to WFH the next couple of days"
3 - No, it's available to all staff above a certain grade.
4 - N/A
5 - No. WFH is a sanity-saving measure, and that's worth a hell of a lot more than money.
6 - UK
7 - Public (University)
8 - Union, one that's actually effective.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

CLAM DOWN posted:

8) Union or non-union?

1) no.
2) n/a
3) n/a
4) easier to communicate / hold accountable if talking face to face
5) yes obviously I'm already here
6) us
7) private
8) non union

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CLAM DOWN posted:

8) Union or non-union?

1) Yes and no. It is a case by case basis. If they really need work done, then I am expected to get it done no matter where I am.
2) Depends on how bad they really need me and how it reflects on them. Currently we are in "YOU MUST DOCUMENT ALL WORK" territory which translates to "I need you in the office at least 40 hours, but also need you to work more than that. Wherever you perform the supplemental work is fine by me so long as I can use your work to show other people that we need more FTE."
3) For other departments, but not mine.
4) The reason is basically 'we need butts in seats' and 'we are "emergency personnel" so we must be present at all times.' (we aren't actually emergency personnel)
5) Sure
6) USA
7) Public
8) Non-Union

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

8) Union or non-union?

1. Yes
2. Depends, if on a billable client contract, remote delivery is specified in the contract. $LastContract let me work up to 32 hours/week remote and only required 1 day on site, $CurrentContract is 100% on site, WFH only in extreme circumstances (basically if the office is closed for weather, and at that point its a courtesy to prevent you from burning PTO) If working company internal projects, 100% WFH is common (we do hoteling at our offices and only actually have enough office space for ~10% of our workforce.)
3. Depends on status as billable and your job lead just needs to make sure it is authorized for whatever charge code you are assigned.
4. n/a
5. Yes, provided commute is short enough (current commute is 1.2 miles, which makes the no work from home right now not really feel that bad.)
6. USA
7. Private contractor to the public sector
8. Non-union.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

8) Union or non-union?

1) Yes
2) up to 100% depending on role, circumstance and manager
3) No. It's at discretion of the manager
5) Without at least partial WFH, no
6) US
7) private
8) lmao. US private sector ill let you guess

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

CLAM DOWN posted:

8) Union or non-union?

1. Yes
2. 2 days per week (for IT dept) I think everyone else has 1 or 'as needed'
3. So long as you are in the office for the other 3 (i.e. No WHF Wed and Thurs and taking off Friday)
4. n/a
5. They would have to be within like 10 miles of my house
6. USA
7. Private
8. Non

J
Jun 10, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

8) Union or non-union?

1. Informally yes
2. IT can generally get 1 day / week without too much fuss. More is allowed with good justification (kids are sick, car in the shop, etc.) People who have been around long enough with good enough justification (developers mainly) have been able to get full remote arrangements. None of this is formalized anywhere though, just gotta convince your boss.
3. ....documentation? :smith:
4. NA
5. Yes but only if the pay and commute were both really good. I'm not sure I'd put up with a lovely commute for any amount of money.
6. US
7. Private
8. Non union

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yes

Depends how important you are to the company and if your body is required. There are people with permanent or 4/5 day WFH. Most of us plebes get one day per week.

No WFH for your first three months. After which you can pick a day that isn't Monday.

If the pay is right

USA

Private

8) Union or non-union?
Non-union

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thank you very very much for all the replies. I have a great compilation now that I can use.

We got sent a "memorandum of understanding" this morning about working from home. It's to be allowed, but only for 36.25h/mo, you must apply to HR answering application questions like "how will your working from home be operationally beneficial", perform a safety inspection and fill out a hazard report for things like "your electrical cables at home must be double insulated", if you get all that approved you still have to get written permission in advance of any work from home days, you must check in with your manager with what you're working on regularly from home, if you're working alone you must permit security calling you for "safety checks", etc etc etc etc.

Basically, I'm flipping my poo poo. Anyone hiring infosec remote people?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Our company only allows people grandfathered in to WFH unless they’re sick or have car problems or there’s terrible weather that makes the commute unsafe. Although if they stick me in one of the terrible open office cubes and install a white noise generator like they’re talking about I’m making an ADA argument for WFH because of noise sensitivity that goes with being a diagnosed autist. I can’t listen to music all the time at this job so I can’t drown out the background noise that a white noise generator makes worse.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Thank you very very much for all the replies. I have a great compilation now that I can use.

We got sent a "memorandum of understanding" this morning about working from home. It's to be allowed, but only for 36.25h/mo, you must apply to HR answering application questions like "how will your working from home be operationally beneficial", perform a safety inspection and fill out a hazard report for things like "your electrical cables at home must be double insulated", if you get all that approved you still have to get written permission in advance of any work from home days, you must check in with your manager with what you're working on regularly from home, if you're working alone you must permit security calling you for "safety checks", etc etc etc etc.

Basically, I'm flipping my poo poo. Anyone hiring infosec remote people?

That is loving insanity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CLAM DOWN posted:

8) Union or non-union?

1) Yes
2) Ad-hoc, as much as you want/need with approval from your manager. Working from your home country is capped at 15 days a year
3) Any kind of permanent home office arrangements require some paperwork to be filled out by you and your manager for HR. For working from your home country, proof of valid travel insurance or local health insurance is required.
4) -
5) Nope, while I don't use it often I want the option.
6) Czech Republic
7) Private
8) Non-Union