Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Elk should be -2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

ex post facho posted:

Lukewarm take: Oko is really good but is strongly dependent on establishing control of the board state early so you can spam 3/3s from your food and Elkify threats as needed

Sometimes all you need is for him to sit there and spam food for you wolves.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

No Wave posted:

I'm starting to see Goose/Oko/Wolf/Once Upon a time as a 16 card card package just because they are all so strong together and Oko is dramatically weaker without them. When you throw in paradise druids (obligatory) and 4x krasis (obligatory) jeez not much room left.

Goose into Oko is close to a free win a lot of the time, which is what will keep the card competitive.

The Food Package of Goose + Oko + Wicked Wolf is incredibly strong. And then at that point you're in UG so might as well throw in the Krasis. Not sold on Once Upon a Time unless you're running a ton of utility creatures like in an Adventure Deck or are in 3+ colors.

Also seeing a resurgence of Kraul Harpooner, it's very good at killing Geese! And Rankle and other random flying threats that are showing up because the ground is being gummed up quite a bit right now with all these Elks and Zombie Tokens around.

I saw Wyatt Darby playing Mono Green Stompy last night and it looked impressive as hell.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Patch notes imply the goose now makes goose noises.

https://forums.mtgarena.com/forums/threads/60526

Also the Fires+X spell interaction is fixed/better.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Huxley posted:

Patch notes imply the goose now makes goose noises.

https://forums.mtgarena.com/forums/threads/60526

GOTY

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

AngryBooch posted:

The Food Package of Goose + Oko + Wicked Wolf is incredibly strong. And then at that point you're in UG so might as well throw in the Krasis. Not sold on Once Upon a Time unless you're running a ton of utility creatures like in an Adventure Deck or are in 3+ colors.

Also seeing a resurgence of Kraul Harpooner, it's very good at killing Geese! And Rankle and other random flying threats that are showing up because the ground is being gummed up quite a bit right now with all these Elks and Zombie Tokens around.

I saw Wyatt Darby playing Mono Green Stompy last night and it looked impressive as hell.
Thing about UOAT is it makes you more likely to get a goose on 1. And you realllly want a goose on 1. I'll try to do the math at some point today.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Wave posted:

Thing about UOAT is it makes you more likely to get a goose on 1. And you realllly want a goose on 1. I'll try to do the math at some point today.

Goose on 1 = good, there you go

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ok it looks like OUAT brings you from 40% goose on 1 going first to ~49% goose on 1. To me that makes it an easy inclusion given that the card is pretty good otherwise. If I'm running any more creatures than wolf/krasis/goose I'd run it until I found a reason not to.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 3, 2019

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Is there a current way to play arena on Mac other than remote desktop? Otherwise I'm going to lose two weeks of quests and pass progress.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Wolf being removal also makes OuaT stronger

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Magic Underwear posted:

Is there a current way to play arena on Mac other than remote desktop? Otherwise I'm going to lose two weeks of quests and pass progress.

I hear it works fairly well under WINE for Mac, though I've not tried myself.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Magic Underwear posted:

You can also put a windows partition on the mac. I've had better luck just doing the remote desktop personally but I've also got an aging mac air so YMMV.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Lmao I guess I wasn't the only one unable to click the correct option when casting x spells with fires in play!

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Aight I wanna ask an honest question here. I'm saving gems and money for the Eldraine drafts so I'm unable to play with sideboards on the new set. I've been mostly playing Bo1 this week... question is, how do you guys ENJOY this?

Games seem really swingy and there's no meat behind them. I'd rather play one bo3 than 2-3 bo1's. I've always said to each it's own but god drat bo1 seems so void of fun to me. Can't wait for the drafts to start.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

turboraton posted:

Aight I wanna ask an honest question here. I'm saving gems and money for the Eldraine drafts so I'm unable to play with sideboards on the new set. I've been mostly playing Bo1 this week... question is, how do you guys ENJOY this?

Games seem really swingy and there's no meat behind them. I'd rather play one bo3 than 2-3 bo1's. I've always said to each it's own but god drat bo1 seems so void of fun to me. Can't wait for the drafts to start.

I do bo1 if I have like 15 to 30 min to grind through the daily quests. If I want to fully enjoy the game, bo3 is the way to go, but sometimes you just want to kill 15 creatures really fast.

I also don't think bo1 is unenjoyable either. It's not a chasm in quality, even if it's frustrating if you, eg, go second against an aggro deck like 15 times in a row.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

turboraton posted:

I've found some opportunities to misplay and so have my opponents.

You really shouldnt wait if you dont enjoy Bo1 though. The only irreplaceable rare SB card off the top of my head is shifting ceratops, beyond that you should be fine going in with uncommons.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
My only big complaint about BO1 is that it so heavily encourages aggro decks due to hand smoothing and aggro obviously having a better G1 matchups against most decks.

Honestly if they just got rid of the hand smoothing, I'd be okay with it, to at least punish the 18 land decks or whatever.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Arivia posted:

Playing Orzhov lifegain against Unlucky Fried Kitten is funny. I scale faster and harder then you, keep durdling around with cats, I don't give a poo poo. They blew themselves up on a Cruel Celebrant trigger.

list?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I prefer Bo1 because it's so aggro heavy. I'm just naturally an aggressive/proactive player and would prefer if every game I played was functionally decided in the first 6 turns. I even enjoy playing out the control side of the beatdown decks on the draw.

Like, I understand how going, "tapland, tapland, something that doesn't matter, whoops I'm dead" isn't a lot of people's idea of fun, but I can't figure out what people see in playing fidgety mid-range board stall decks that hope to side into answers.

Bo1 is more hostile to those types of decks, so that's what I play. I don't want to side into better cards for the matchup, I want to run 60 cards that put my foot on your throat starting with the first land drop.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 3, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I want to play a series of dream eaters onto the same unit getting replayed over and over

Where's my format, wizards???

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

It was a deck I threw together to do dailies with, nothing amazing. I can export it if you want, but it’s not secret tech or anything.

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008
Is durdle the hot new word in the mtg nerd lexicon? Or am I just old?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Huxley posted:

I prefer Bo1 because it's so aggro heavy. I'm just naturally an aggressive/proactive player and would prefer if every game I played was functionally decided in the first 6 turns. I even enjoy playing out the control side of the beatdown decks on the draw.

Like, I understand how going, "tapland, tapland, something that doesn't matter, whoops I'm dead" isn't a lot of people's idea of fun, but I can't figure out what people see in playing fidgety mid-range board stall decks that hope to side into answers.

Bo1 is more hostile to those types of decks, so that's what I play. I don't want to side into better cards for the matchup, I want to run 60 cards that put my foot on your throat starting with the first land drop.

Pretty much the same for me. I've also been playing magic forever, and it's just a super casual thing for me. I want like 2 decisions per game, not like an endless thought experiment. Too old for that poo poo.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Homers BBBq posted:

"Durdle" has been around for at least like a decade.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I am both old and familiar with the word durdle.

Do not play that Red/Green Double Adventure deck with a trackpad or it will be you who is the one who is durdling.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Huxley posted:

yeah, nuts to that. the most fun decks are the ones where the game goes 20-30 turns and i know i won on turn 6 but my opponent thinks they still have a chance.

rip nexus up there makin some angels super salty

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I picked up durdle from LSV draft videos back when they had to upload them to YouTube in 10-minute chunks because that was the limit. So like, 2009ish?

cams posted:

yeah, nuts to that. the most fun decks are the ones where the game goes 20-30 turns and i know i won on turn 6 but my opponent thinks they still have a chance.

Magic The Gathering: The game where everyone gets to be happy 45%–55% of the time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Homers BBBq posted:

I coined the term in 2006

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Homers BBBq posted:

Neither because it’s been around for a long rear end time.

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008
Back in my day decks actually tried to interact with each other, not just sit on their side of the board durdling around! Jams Field of Dead

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

As someone who's firmly in the "I refuse to spend real money on this" camp, so far the cheap-rear end deck I've had the most luck with is mono-red Cavalcade.

Deck as listed:
18 Mountain (ELD) 262
3 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
4 Cavalcade of Calamity (RNA) 95
4 Shock (M20) 160
4 Light Up the Stage (RNA) 107
3 Torbran, Thane of Red Fell (ELD) 147
4 Scorch Spitter (M20) 159
4 Grim Initiate (WAR) 130
4 Gingerbrute (ELD) 219
4 Fervent Champion (ELD) 124
4 Chandra's Spitfire (M20) 132
4 Chandra, Acolyte of Flame (M20) 126

What I'm playing as I collect more rare WCs:

20 Mountain (ELD) 262
1 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
4 Cavalcade of Calamity (RNA) 95
4 Shock (M20) 160
4 Light Up the Stage (RNA) 107
4 Scorch Spitter (M20) 159
4 Grim Initiate (WAR) 130
4 Gingerbrute (ELD) 219
3 Chandra's Spitfire (M20) 132
4 Torch Courier (GRN) 119
2 Runaway Steam-Kin (GRN) 115
3 Risk Factor (GRN) 113
3 Skewer the Critics (RNA) 115

Obviously, not having the Chandras or Torbrans is a pretty big disadvantage, but the extra damage spells give it a bit of a boost. Been hitting 4-5 wins in Standard Event pretty consistently, which is nice for a deck with uhhh 5 rares?

e: also I passed up a foil Field of the Dead at a draft last night, I am a huge dumbass and I hope it doesn't skyrocket once Eldraine physically releases :( Got a Knight of the Ebon Legion instead though

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 3, 2019

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Huxley posted:

I feel like I picked up durdle from LSV draft videos back when they had to upload them to YouTube in 10-minute chunks because that was the limit. So like, 2009ish?

Yeah I heard it there too and also "mise", a term which I know has to do with topdecking but have no idea where it came from

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

As a warning none of those rares see play outside of red aggro except the castle and chandra. Torbran is probably the most bad of those cards so do that last (preferably not at all)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm tempted to try to gently caress around with a Boros Cavalcade deck but I haven't checked if there's enough good white weenies post-Ixalan to justify it

e: nope lol

No Wave posted:

As a warning none of those rares see play outside of red aggro except the castle and chandra. Torbran is probably the most bad of those cards so do that last (preferably not at all)

I don't hate the deck so I'm ok with spending a few rare WCs for it. Right now the only other deck I'm trying to make is mono-black and there's a shitload of stuff I don't have, so I'm shooting for a full competitive deck ASAP, but thank you for the advice!

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 3, 2019

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I only play BO1 because I like to goof off and play stuff like U/G Hydras and not have to worry about stuff like metagaming or sideboards or facing the hot deck of the moment every drat game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm tempted to try to gently caress around with a Boros Cavalcade deck but I haven't checked if there's enough good white weenies post-Ixalan to justify it

I don't hate the deck so I'm ok with spending a few rare WCs for it. Right now the only other deck I'm trying to make is mono-black and there's a shitload of stuff I don't have, so I'm shooting for a full competitive deck ASAP, but thank you for the advice!
what I mean is, I'm not sure torbran is optimal in cavalcade (and it's unlikely he'd ever be optimal in anything else). The mtggoldfish list is a single 5-0 MTGO list and there isnt a consensus best cavalcade list yet.

Lots of lists on mtg arena tracker runs legion warboss instead, which seems a lot better and is a much more playable card otherwise (though it will rotate a year sooner to be fair)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 3, 2019

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

cams posted:

Whenever I remember that Nexus is effectively banned in Historic it makes me wonder what the hell actually goes on in Historic

I've still yet to play that queue

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Funkdreamer posted:

Whenever I remember that Nexus is effectively banned in Historic it makes me wonder what the hell actually goes on in Historic

Howzat?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I want to build a mono-Green adventure ramp deck that aims to poo poo out a ton of hasted bear tokens at once. So far my plan is:
4x Flaxen Intruder both for bears and artifact/enchantment hate
4x Beanstalk Giant for clover-enabled hellramping and alternate wincon if the bears don't pan out
4x Lucky Clover to enable ramp and bear explosions
4x Innkeeper for extra card draw
4x Crashing Drawbridge for blocking and haste

Obviously this is really mana-intensive so I want reliable fast mana. Maybe Once Upon a Time and Bond of Flourishing to help draw my pieces faster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I heard it there too and also "mise", a term which I know has to do with topdecking but have no idea where it came from

You loving barn you