Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Im a bit triggered that I’ve never found a good 1h sword, the closest I have is the sunlight one or whatever, I have cooler variants of every other weapon so far.

Also what codes should I be on the lookout for as a caster? Just got Isis so I’ll max that one out but I don’t know what spells to really be looking for. How many of them are actually missable?

Also is there a point to the sidequests? Any rewards actually worth the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Just started playing this, got about an hour or two in. It's pretty cool, but honestly all of the things you can equip between classes, weapons, passive/actives is all a bit overwhelming/confusing. I really don't know how I'm supposed to upgrading most of this stuff, plus I feel like a lot of these things share the naming convention of "Blood ____" which makes it even more confusing. I think all of these systems is distracting me a bit from really enjoying the game.

yea it probably wasn't translated super fine but what can you do with vampire games

blood codes are your classes, they give you some stats and more importantly "gifts," abilities, that you can master to then use outside of that class. Ultimately they're more your statblock and can be changed out whenever, freely.

blood veils are your kickin' clothes and are basically a subclass in that they are just there for a statblock. and to look pretty. the different types of the same veil are just for appearance.

your weapons are, well, your weapons. pay attention to what stats they scale off of and adjust your codes/veils accordingly, or vice versa. there's five classes of weapons and like 7-10 individual ones in a category that behave slightly differently, I think everything has a different heavy attack? unsure, halberding it up.

you can upgrade everything to +3 for basically free as that only costs iron, which you have plenty of. after that the materials get a little more rare. so; don't worry about it. pay attention to the left panel of your stats for str/dex grade, your weight and how fast your poo poo swings and go ham

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Question for the ending:

Do I need to actually have Io as my partner to fight the final boss(es) to get the true ending, or is completing her vestiges and seeing the scene with the Attendant outside the boss area all that was needed?

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Regy Rusty posted:

Question for the ending:

Do I need to actually have Io as my partner to fight the final boss(es) to get the true ending, or is completing her vestiges and seeing the scene with the Attendant outside the boss area all that was needed?

I don't have the answer buuuut after you beat the last boss you'll spawn at the last mistle with the last boss respawned after credits. So you should beable to fight it again if not running with Io doesn't work.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This game rules, I'm really enjoying it so far. I love how it just keeps plopping more and more tools into my open and waiting arms and is like "you can use any of these weapons/spells/anime boys at any time go wild dude".

Here is my knockoff Dante, but that is not who I'm playing as on my first playthrough.

Instead I am playing as CHAD

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ok, Impaler is probably the best feeling weapon I've used in any souls game

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
okay so in the snow place (boss spoiler/lore) was nicola fighting to keep the armor dude subdued, or was it a metaphor and that was the real nicola and the little kids were his traces of humanity

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I haven’t finished the game yet, but it seems to be the latter. Being implanted with the body parts of the Queen eventually causes successors to lose their mind to the blood rage (like the lost) and their body to mutate into a monstrous form. That’s why if you restore their mind they retain their mutated bodies - that’s just who they are now [future plot spoiler] (with some exceptions later in the story)

Stickman fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 3, 2019

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

well, I finished Code Vein. Took me 38 hours! I really liked it but I'm miffed i got a neutral ending which was short and kinda boring, it was basically the dark souls 2 sleep on the throne ending. I guess I have to go back for the good ending now. punished for not being able to explore thoroughly enough... :(

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Thumbtacks posted:

Also is there a point to the sidequests? Any rewards actually worth the time?

Well, none of them are hard. They are almost always 'go get this thing/fight this thing that is like 10 feet away'. Most of them just give you haze items, but at the very least some give you maps and you want maps because maps lead to new codes and farming areas.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

A few side quests give you maps or a gift mastery item. But they're easy so might as well just do them all anyway.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I feel halberds are the best weapon type in the game, they have much better attack animations than 2h swords and hit almost as hard. I started using the obliterator axe once you pick it up and never put it down due to its A strength scaling.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I particularly like the Queenslayer Halberd moveset .

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I had less than an hour to beat the final boss before I had to leave and I DID IT hell yeah

Great game! I had a ton of fun with it.

E: Like the sequel hook, I'm in if they make one.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 3, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lmao at the Anor londo boss design

I was up her rear end the whole fight

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Hackan Slash posted:

I feel halberds are the best weapon type in the game, they have much better attack animations than 2h swords and hit almost as hard. I started using the obliterator axe once you pick it up and never put it down due to its A strength scaling.

miku uses a halberd-type and she was a murdermachine, checks out

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Hackan Slash posted:

halberds are sick as gently caress if you have the right code and skillset, although a lot of the halberd movesets are suboptimal and don't cover enough options

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
this ruined my entire day

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'd say that my only real complaints with the weapon types are a lack of weapon transformations that give specific stat scalings (e.g. Lightning gives you Mind scaling on a weapon or whatever), and how blocking feels strictly suboptimal if you're not packing the Zweihander due to you always taking at least some chip damage. I wish they would've made blocking differences between weapons purely based around stamina consumption, though I can understand them not wanting to mess with the formula too much.

Regy Rusty posted:

E: Like the sequel hook, I'm in if they make one.

They already have. :v:

Vermain fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 3, 2019

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Kobogartimer posted:

The fact that you only get companion rep for killing bosses is messed up. You can spend 20 minutes helping somebody clear a level, almost kill their boss and then they don't res you and you miss out. If you got a co-op boss kill every 10 minutes it would still take 67 hours to max it out. Won't somebody think of the trophy fiends?

Lol I just looked this trophy up. Guess I'm not 100%-ing this game. Even if you get 3-4 per depths run like, what the gently caress.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Vermain posted:

They already have. :v:

idgi

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

i believe the prevailing theory is that this game is the prequel to god eater

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The big black monster you get a brief glimpse of when the Mist drops is an aragami, the main antagonists of God Eater (one of Shift's other properties). It's strongly implied by how BOR Parasites work that revenants are the original version of what would eventually become God Eaters, the elite soldiers used to fight off the aragami.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The Dyaus Pita looks a little familiar!

E: Is that a double transliteration of Deus Patre?

EE: Nope, I'm wrong. It's from the Vedic pantheon. Apparently they're etymologically related, though, so I guess I'm sort of right?

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 3, 2019

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Thanks for the help! Those explanations help a lot, and I'm sure as I play more things will come together.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Vermain posted:

I'd say that my only real complaints with the weapon types are a lack of weapon transformations that give specific stat scalings (e.g. Lightning gives you Mind scaling on a weapon or whatever), and how blocking feels strictly suboptimal if you're not packing the Zweihander due to you always taking at least some chip damage. I wish they would've made blocking differences between weapons purely based around stamina consumption, though I can understand them not wanting to mess with the formula too much.

yeah I found like basically every weapon transformation to be pretty useless, fortification is about the only good one if you can wedge yourself under a weight threshold and that one's really boring

a lot of the other ones are just pure downgrades (like the no-scaling one) or break even (like intensification; lose 113 base... for 113 scaling! for a net gain of zero!) and none of the elemental ones seem like they're worth using for how much you lose out

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think blocking is extremely strong, I wish it was something I had realized earlier when playing. So many animations can be cancelled with a block, like all those double weapon swings and stuff. I was blocking with a halberd that had like 60-70 ratings and the chip damage is hardly anything once you're walking around with a real health pool. I'm guessing the heal gift from queenslayer works on it too, it works on the infinite stamina gift too as an aside.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Merilan posted:

yeah I found like basically every weapon transformation to be pretty useless, fortification is about the only good one if you can wedge yourself under a weight threshold and that one's really boring

a lot of the other ones are just pure downgrades (like the no-scaling one) or break even (like intensification; lose 113 base... for 113 scaling! for a net gain of zero!) and none of the elemental ones seem like they're worth using for how much you lose out

Devour and fortification are the only good ones, if you use Final Journey you can quick roll with any weapon/blood veil although it kills you when the duration runs out (but not if you kill a boss or get to a mistle) but the duration is like three minutes, which you can make like five if you have gift extender.

Which would make fortification the objectively best one for bossing

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I spent 50 points to get Louis' weapon and it's worse than the generic Hanemukuro you can buy from the store with seemingly no upside. :cheerdoge:

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Thumbtacks posted:

Devour and fortification are the only good ones, if you use Final Journey you can quick roll with any weapon/blood veil although it kills you when the duration runs out (but not if you kill a boss or get to a mistle) but the duration is like three minutes, which you can make like five if you have gift extender.

Which would make fortification the objectively best one for bossing

Yeah I use Fortification a lot. Final Journey was hilarious when I got to a two-stage boss and realised the buff is still going so I died... but at least you can just restart from form two

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I spent 50 points to get Louis' weapon and it's worse than the generic Hanemukuro you can buy from the store with seemingly no upside. :cheerdoge:
It has better scaling if I recall correctly.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

You can also technically get it earlier than the Hanemukuro, which is at like... Anor Londo? For whatever benefit that might get you

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Merilan posted:

Yeah I use Fortification a lot. Final Journey was hilarious when I got to a two-stage boss and realised the buff is still going so I died... but at least you can just restart from form two

The nice part about Final Journey is that regardless of weapon choice, you get a huge buff from Swift Destruction because that's based solely on your movement speed, not total weight or anything.

ive been loving around with halberds more and it looks like the best combination of skills is something like

Queenslayer blood code
swift destruction
halberd mastery (or whatever weapon)
Mind Up (or anything that has Mind up, so you can use io's bridge of glory)
Tirelessness or anything else

actives i'm not 100% sure about yet but they're all pretty fun

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
also i just realized i hosed up by restoring one successor but not the second one which means i need to hit NG+3 to get both endings, gently caress me

maybe i should just restart anyway

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man the bosses in this game are brutal. I would say they're my least favorite part so far, they're always such a steep difficulty hike. WAY too much health and they deal juuuust a bit too much damage for how relentless they can be imo.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Thumbtacks posted:

The nice part about Final Journey is that regardless of weapon choice, you get a huge buff from Swift Destruction because that's based solely on your movement speed, not total weight or anything.

ive been loving around with halberds more and it looks like the best combination of skills is something like

Queenslayer blood code
swift destruction
halberd mastery (or whatever weapon)
Mind Up (or anything that has Mind up, so you can use io's bridge of glory)
Tirelessness or anything else

actives i'm not 100% sure about yet but they're all pretty fun

that was basically my build too by the end

Queenslayer blood code, Fortified Zweihander weapon
Adrenaline, Bridge to Glory, Final Journey as my buffs
Tormenting Blast for attacking
some other incidental stuff like Blood Shot for pulling

passives were Swift Destruction, Mind Up, Two Handed Mastery, and the Weight Up one from Queen's Breath so I still had Normal rolls outside of FJ

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Man the bosses in this game are brutal. I would say they're my least favorite part so far, they're always such a steep difficulty hike. WAY too much health and they deal juuuust a bit too much damage for how relentless they can be imo.

first time i fought ribcage i had a summon with me and i died approximately six times in a row, the summon and my partner both kept using the rez talent thing. it was so loving stupid.

do not fight that at range, for the love of god.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I liked the challenging bosses. Most of them are very good. There's one I really didn't like solo, but with a partner it's fun. If they have too much health your damage is probably lacking in some way, in general bosses in this game tend to go down very quickly once you know how to handle them.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
The heal/defence systems feel lacking in this game but I guess they sorta designed things around having a partner with you. Cause the damage you take vs your ability to heal is rough until you get like 4 of the regen heal upgrades. Having the AI buddy is a god send with their ability to res after you get 2 shot. But yeah bosses can go down pretty quickly if you work with buffs/i-frames.

I cleared the game yesterday and dare not to mess with NG+. Guys in the endgame can still chunk me pretty well and I don't even want to see how quickly I die in NG+ :smith:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Regy Rusty posted:

I liked the challenging bosses. Most of them are very good. There's one I really didn't like solo, but with a partner it's fun. If they have too much health your damage is probably lacking in some way, in general bosses in this game tend to go down very quickly once you know how to handle them.

I disagree. The boss health seems way imbalanced for the areas they are attached to. For example the very first boss the butterfly has nearly 25,000 health. At this point even the biggest weapon I could get my hands on only did about 500 damage per swing. Compare this to the normal enemies that precede it which die in two or three swings with a max of about a thousand and the problem becomes pretty apparent to me.