Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
play the bear deck with fires of invention. That has to be correct!

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

No Wave posted:

what I mean is, I'm not sure torbran is optimal in cavalcade (and it's unlikely he'd ever be optimal in anything else). The mtggoldfish list is a single 5-0 MTGO list and there isnt a consensus best cavalcade list yet.

Lots of lists on mtg arena tracker runs legion warboss instead, which seems a lot better and is a much more playable card otherwise (though it will rotate a year sooner to be fair)

Ah ok, I misunderstood. I mean on paper his ability kicks rear end, especially if you've got 2 or more Cavalcades out, but realistically the deck should be fast enough to win without him.

Legion Warboss is a great idea and I feel like a dumbass for not thinking of it sooner.

Chandra's Spitfire keeps showing up in the decklists but I swear it's barely ever pulled its weight in the deck, honestly.

Risk Factor has been really useful in the deck, tbh.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ChrisBTY posted:

I only play BO1 because I like to goof off and play stuff like U/G Hydras and not have to worry about stuff like metagaming or sideboards or facing the hot deck of the moment every drat game.

But BO1 is full of the hot deck of the moment (aggro and esper)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Chandra's Spitfire keeps showing up in the decklists but I swear it's barely ever pulled its weight in the deck, honestly.

You’ll like it more the next time you swing for 13 with it on turn 4

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

You’ll like it more the next time you swing for 13 with it on turn 4

I keep waiting for that to happen but it never does!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I heard it there too and also "mise", a term which I know has to do with topdecking but have no idea where it came from

mise 'miz v alter. of might as well (1997) 1: to win when you don't deserve to 2: to top-deck the "tings" you need 3: to be rewarded by an opponent's bad luck 4: to coin a phrase that spreads through the tournament scene like wildfire 5: to fling a monkey 6: to split firewood using a sharp instrument 7: To burn

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Eej posted:

But BO1 is full of the hot deck of the moment (aggro and esper)

It's a little better than ranked.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/xfileMTG/status/1179860352680546305

https://twitter.com/bobinchese/status/1179821851448676352

Goddamn it

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

There are about as many copies of BAB mythics in circulation as normal mythics so it doesnt really matter beyond the foil situation. I dont think anyone will really care this time tbh, it only was brought up as a reason to ban nexus because everyone hated nexus.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Wait, so are the BAB promos in normal circulation on Arena? Or do you actually have to buy a physical box for a code? Can you craft it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Wave posted:

There are about as many copies of BAB mythics in circulation as normal mythics so it doesnt really matter beyond the foil situation. I dont think anyone will really care this time tbh, it only was brought up as a reason to ban nexus because everyone hated nexus.

No I don’t have any and my WC situation is perilous

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Wait, so are the BAB promos in normal circulation on Arena? Or do you actually have to buy a physical box for a code? Can you craft it?
You can craft it, but they arent in normal circulation.

zoux posted:

No I don’t have any and my WC situation is perilous
ah ok, reasonable

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
You also get one copy of the BaB Card if you buy 45 packs at once with gems. Or you just burn a mythic wildcard.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I thought you got one with the preorder but I guess not

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

they actually try to give you a more usable/exciting card with the preorder (lilliana, chandra, garruk). Ok they failed with garruk a bit but he is fun.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I heard it there too and also "mise", a term which I know has to do with topdecking but have no idea where it came from

mise goes way back to like 2000. i dont think i ever understood what it really means

my preliminary drafting report is that this set is really good. lots of long rear end games filled with meaningful choices. food is way more interesting and relevant than i thought it would be. color balance is good too, black seems really strong but there are no dead colors so far

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

zoux posted:

Yeah I thought you got one with the preorder but I guess not

The preorder card was Garruk, and if you’d asked me which I’d rather have before the set actually came out I’d be happier with Garruk.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

babypolis posted:

mise goes way back to like 2000. i dont think i ever understood what it really means

my preliminary drafting report is that this set is really good. lots of long rear end games filled with meaningful choices. food is way more interesting and relevant than i thought it would be. color balance is good too, black seems really strong but there are no dead colors so far

It's a card from one of the joke sets from the 90s. Name a card, check your top deck, if you reveal the named card draw 3.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

P1P1: Oathsworn Knight or Loch Dragon

Dragon seems more powerful but locks a pair right away?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't know the pick for sure (personally I'd raredraft given that it *is* a strong card), but remember that you could end up mono- or near-mono red or blue in addition to red/blue, so LD doesn't lock you in quite so tightly here as you'd think.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's a card from one of the joke sets from the 90s. Name a card, check your top deck, if you reveal the named card draw 3.

That was named after the joke phrase (basically a vicious win or topdeck) which was popularized by a FYAD-styled SA offshoot Magic humour site called MiseTings. I don’t remember the exact origin of the phrase, there’s a couple old Tingers around who might though.

MaRo tried to give the Unhinged Mise card to MiseTings to preview, but the administrator was even more hopeless than Lowtax and didn’t have the front page working at the time to show it off. A forums admin posted it on the forums and it got posted later on the MTG website.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Mise comes from 'mise well', a corruption of 'might as well' that someone misheard. to 'mise well' had you topdecking and getting all the lucky draws. Miser's Cage is unrelated.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Knight for me, black is a strong color that goes with pretty much all of the other ones, it's less committing (mono-color decks are still pretty rare even in this format from my experience), cheaper, and knight synergies are relevant too.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I kind of want to try some kind of elfball deck with Henge as well as beast whisperer, and Rhythm of the Wild to make things hasty. Especially with that G/W treefolk that can tap for a bunch.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Knight for me, black is a strong color that goes with pretty much all of the other ones, it's less committing (mono-color decks are still pretty rare even in this format from my experience), cheaper, and knight synergies are relevant too.

Yeah I ended up with a lot of knights. Is this too greedy of a deck? This was the auto-mana which looks bad (there are 2 Tournament Grounds) and I don't know if there's a way to cast Sundering Stroke and also hit the double WW/BB cards

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I ended up with a lot of knights. Is this too greedy of a deck? This was the auto-mana which looks bad (there are 2 Tournament Grounds) and I don't know if there's a way to cast Sundering Stroke and also hit the double WW/BB cards

you are never going to be able to cast fireborn knight and even if you do its not that good

also I dont really see the need to splash your deck is really strong already

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Tournament Grounds cannot be used to cast Sundering Stroke so you only have the one mountain to be able to use it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, just drop the red for the two white creatures.

Also you're playing 4 swamps, those cottages will never come in untapped but are gonna stop you from being able to curve out those double black spells on T3-4.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

babypolis posted:

Reality Sinner posted:

Mise comes from 'mise well', a corruption of 'might as well' that someone misheard. to 'mise well' had you topdecking and getting all the lucky draws. Miser's Cage is unrelated.

i think the original etymology is "might as well draw the exact card i need"

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Eldraine is a format where you really want to be deep in one colour so you can have an 11/6 or 10/7 manabase (or 11/7, there is a fair bit of talk of this being an 18 land format due to all the ways to use mana) so you can make use of the restrictive mana costs and adamant.

You really want to avoid splashing and you don't want to have double colour pip cards in your off colour. Mana fixing is really scarce in this set, but the commons are pretty deep in essentially all colours so you shouldn't have trouble making playables.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Thanks I cut the red. I won the first match, nearly died game 1 to the gingerbread haste man and managed to survive a Realm-Cloaked giant by chumping until Barrow Witches brought me back the drain life adventure, that was sweet

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

this is sillier than feather ever was

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Lmao Esper doom foretold is so great to play.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Zyla posted:

this is sillier than feather ever was

I need a decklist to fill the feather shaped hole in my heart

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Vaah posted:

I need a decklist to fill the feather shaped hole in my heart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-seBVSV2mjk

its less durable than feather is, as you have to stick some creatures and they are very vulnerable but once the train gets out o the station you can do poo poo like that turn where i started with a single giant growth in hand and about 20 spells later finished clearing their entire board just because being rude including ambushing a 7 loyalty nissa, a 3/3 land an 11/11 krasis and that 4/4 that would had lead to unblocked for whatever damage is there

edit: the guy playing it in the video is super annoying so heres the list!!

4 Season of Growth (M20) 191
4 Domri's Ambush (WAR) 192
4 Thrash // Threat (RNA) 229
6 Forest (ELD) 269
4 Incubation Druid (RNA) 131
4 Rimrock Knight (ELD) 137
6 Mountain (ELD) 265
4 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
4 Edgewall Innkeeper (ELD) 151
4 Stony Strength (RNA) 143
4 Dreadhorde Arcanist (WAR) 125
4 Giant Growth (WAR) 162
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
4 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244

bean mom fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 4, 2019

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Just post the list. Always post the list, never not post the list.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Also whoever called the mill meta in draft was right and I was wrong as hell. Just faced two extremely annoying mill decks tonite. I still managed to win tho

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
My inaugural test of mono-Green :byobear: :

I'm lucky I was up against a control deck that didn't draw a hard wincon.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

IMJack posted:

My inaugural test of mono-Green :byobear: :

I'm lucky I was up against a control deck that didn't draw a hard wincon.

this is in bear rear end ing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think I'm gonna try to build the Garruk Wolves deck for the weekend event