Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao wwe is screwed if AEW lasts 3-5 years

hey this is just the honeymoon period. of course AEW can draw 1.4 million on their first show. let's see how they do in 20 years, that'll be the real test

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
That Christopher Daniels quote makes me think he's planning on killing this promotion too!

Low Desert Punk posted:

wwe superfans are the weirdest loving people

Excuse me I am not weird I am eccentric.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Bottle up this feeling so I can inject it on a weekly basis

Or, AEW just keep doing your thang

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Low Desert Punk posted:

wwe superfans are the weirdest loving people

No joke I saw someone arguing NXT did poorly because audiences can't handle a solid wrestling-centric show like NXT and a spectacle like AEW will always do better

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

who was someone who went to WWE instead of AEW so I can redo the Samoa Joe comic

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Threw my ratings analysis together here (the Forbes contributor downside guarantee really isn't THAT bad for being able to write whatever the hell you want): https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidbixenspan/2019/10/03/aew-dynamite-wwe-nxt-ratings-wednesday-night-war-week-1/#76743833634d

The key things that everyone should be focusing on, are:

* Total viewers only matter for determining the size of each promotion's audience in 2019. That IS import, but as a TV show, only 18-49 matters. Maybe all of the other wrestling reporters will finally understand this.

* The replay and same day DVR viewing brought it up to 1.8 million viewers (1.1 million in the demo), the biggest TNT premiere in five years.

* In 18-49 and all of the other key demos, AEW doubled NXT or worse.

* NXT only edged AEW out for a win in 50+

* NXT actually gained viewers in 18-49 by 1% over last week, even if the rating to the hundredths digit was the same.

* AEW beat last week's SmackDown and hour three of last week's Raw. This week's Raw saw a big increase, but who knows how much those viewers stick around. (In fairness, the same can be said for AEW since it's a premiere, albeit not one that was trying to draw with nostalgia etc.). That said...

* We don't have any AEW vs. Raw/SmackDown overlap data yet, but it sure seems like this is a different audience since NXT lost relatively few viewers, basically all of whom were in the 50+ demo, losing none in 18-49.

This is gonna be VERY interesting to follow.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:five:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I can't tell if that's supposed to be roman reigns or seth rollins because all i see is tama tonga

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It’s a dude with long black hair and a beard. That’s like 90% of the feds roster

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

why did they make seth rollins look handsome instead of a skinny dork

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Low Desert Punk posted:

why did they make seth rollins look handsome instead of a skinny dork

I couldn't quite capture his likeness, sorry.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

anyone criticizing the art instead of the brilliance is terrible

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

But it shouldve been Sasha Banks

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Push El Burrito posted:

That Christopher Daniels quote makes me think he's planning on killing this promotion too!

Excuse me I am not weird I am eccentric.

You know he was in WCW right at the end as well? Just as a glorified jobber but I remember seeing him there. He was actually responsible to leading me to the indy scene and newcomers like CM Punk, Bryan Danielson, Samoa Joe and LowKi. You cool by me Fallen Angel.

davidbix posted:

Threw my ratings analysis together here (the Forbes contributor downside guarantee really isn't THAT bad for being able to write whatever the hell you want): https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidbixenspan/2019/10/03/aew-dynamite-wwe-nxt-ratings-wednesday-night-war-week-1/#76743833634d

* The replay and same day DVR viewing brought it up to 1.8 million viewers (1.1 million in the demo), the biggest TNT premiere in five years.

* In 18-49 and all of the other key demos, AEW doubled NXT or worse.

* NXT only edged AEW out for a win in 50+

* NXT actually gained viewers in 18-49 by 1% over last week, even if the rating to the hundredths digit was the same.

* AEW beat last week's SmackDown and hour three of last week's Raw. This week's Raw saw a big increase, but who knows how much those viewers stick around. (In fairness, the same can be said for AEW since it's a premiere, albeit not one that was trying to draw with nostalgia etc.). That said...

This is gonna be VERY interesting to follow.

Love this, so cheers to you fine sirrah.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

no but you legitimately drew Tama Tonga

e: for ratings chat, does watching live TV through Hulu count toward ratings or are those counted separately?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Mel Mudkiper posted:

who was someone who went to WWE instead of AEW so I can redo the Samoa Joe comic

Do you have the original CM Punk one?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

I mean Jerusalem is the keeper of the ancient lore so I assume he has it

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
How did AEW compare to non Hogan non Ric raw

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Finally, a good AEW thread

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

davidbix posted:

* Total viewers only matter for determining the size of each promotion's audience in 2019. That IS import, but as a TV show, only 18-49 matters. Maybe all of the other wrestling reporters will finally understand this.

Is there a specific reason that's a thing now?

I was always of the impression that during the heydays of the 90s advertisers were far more willing to throw money at things like golf than they were wrestling, even though wrestling did much bigger numbers, since golf was watched by old white men who wanted to buy yachts and heart pills and wrestling was watched by teenagers who hung around the food court at the mall and bought nothing.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

SalTheBard posted:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Alaois posted:

no but you legitimately drew Tama Tonga

e: for ratings chat, does watching live TV through Hulu count toward ratings or are those counted separately?

That's p uncanny

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Lol

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
saw a ton of elite shirts today at NYCC but no orange cassidy shirt (except me) so imo AEW is a failure

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you find that video of orange cassidy where you can see he has a double combover then don't watch it

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I'm sitting here wondering just how much mnoney WWE threw at Rusev and Sasha Banks to grab them just before this happened. Like I wouldn't be surprised if it was quadruple what each of them was originally making.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

This fills me with such mixed emotions but HOLY poo poo 5

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Lid posted:

I'm sitting here wondering just how much mnoney WWE threw at Rusev and Sasha Banks to grab them just before this happened. Like I wouldn't be surprised if it was quadruple what each of them was originally making.

Did Rusev actually re-sign? I thought this was his push to convince him to stay.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
did rusev re-sign actually or are we just assuming since they put him on tv. last i heard in early sept he has not

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I asked the only important metric:

https://twitter.com/chatosamba/status/1179881645815541760

https://twitter.com/WalterBax5/status/1179864995091419140

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

NowonSA posted:

I'm surely taking crazy pills with this prediction, but I predicted 1.25-1.5 million. I think they might pull a big number for the premiere and then it'll drop down for awhile after that. Pilots of conventional T.V. shows typically pop a higher than usual number, maybe this will apply to wrestling too.

Mostly I'm just on crazy pills though.

:pcgaming: Guess I'm not on crazy pills after all! :pcgaming:

Also fun to see you on the forums Bix, I've always dug your writing on wrestling when I see it here and there on my internet journey.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 4, 2019

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
ah Rusev actually did not re-sign yet i was mistaken, i thought the cucking angle was because they had re-signed and this was because well now they have nowhere to go so may as well treat them like poo poo

turns out this is them doing the other great WWE thing, booking people into poo poo on their way out to make them "tainted" like The Revival

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

this push is to see if he really wants it. and by "it" I mean his wife.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Those TV numbers were way better than I was expecting. That's amazing and the next few weeks will be super fun to watch

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Man if I was WWE I'd definitely not let Rusev and Lana go, I feel like they'd be a really hot thing in AEW,, especially given how much the fans have been into them even when they're not pushed.

None of the top people will be going anywhere, unless they end up really hating WWE that much and surprise me (and man I'd love for one of them to have the guts to go straight to AEW and have that non-compete clause shown in their contracts shown as the joke that it is), but probably the person who they absolutely should throw extra money to and might not is Cesaro, he's my #1 pick right now for someone who might fly under WWE's radar and would be the absolute poo poo to see in AEW.

Also, as a big CM Punk fan it makes me sad that this wasn't around when he quit WWE so after he healed up he could have gone there while he still loved wrestling and definitely seemed like he would have been into the idea of joining them for spite. I'd take 3-5 years of Punk in another wrestling fed over a few crappy MMA fights.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 4, 2019

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Orton is long rumoured to want out of WWE so expect a tonne of money to be thrown his way

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Having a weekly wrestling show to look forward to again for the first time since 96-98 WCW is a strange but rad feeling

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Perhaps it's time to revisit the "Predict the AEW ratings" thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898889

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Rewatching AEW and god the real success story for this is the lighting. It FEELS so packed and like the crowd is part of the show rather than with them being spectators to an overly lit ring.