Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
so i finally listened to Hamilton and now i'm loving obsessed with it and i'm just wondering how much of a douchebag i am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

BUSH 2112 posted:

so i finally listened to Hamilton and now i'm loving obsessed with it and i'm just wondering how much of a douchebag i am

I would ask if you're obsessed ironically or unironically, but there's no good way to be obsessed with Hamilton.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I would ask if you're obsessed ironically or unironically, but there's no good way to be obsessed with Hamilton.

no i totally unironically love it lol

like i've probably listened to it 40 times in the last two weeks. i mean, i just also love musicals so judge me as you will

Serf
May 5, 2011

BUSH 2112 posted:

no i totally unironically love it lol

like i've probably listened to it 40 times in the last two weeks. i mean, i just also love musicals so judge me as you will

it whitewashes history. hamilton called people "a great beast" and believed we needed to be guided by our landed white betters

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

but it’s a bad musical. have you been checked for any brain tumors?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

setting aside the historical revisionism stuff, all the songs and lyrics are deeply embarrassing

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the best musical is les miserables come @ me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0SWaGfkPxA

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

Serf posted:

it whitewashes history. hamilton called people "a great beast" and believed we needed to be guided by our landed white betters

oh totally, i still think it's just got great music though

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

but it’s a bad musical. have you been checked for any brain tumors?

how is a bad musical? even beyond just the fact that i enjoy it personally, it seems to meet all of the requirements of what i feel would be considered a great musical.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Percelus posted:

:wrong: its actually phantom of the paradise

Serf
May 5, 2011

BUSH 2112 posted:

oh totally, i still think it's just got great music though

how is a bad musical? even beyond just the fact that i enjoy it personally, it seems to meet all of the requirements of what i feel would be considered a great musical.

the rapping is extremely bad tho. its like barely above sugar hill gang poo poo and at least they were good

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Serf posted:

the rapping is extremely bad tho. its like barely above sugar hill gang poo poo and at least they were good

The people are asking to hear my voice ..

For the country is facing a difficult choice.

And if you were to ask me who I’d promote …

Jefferson has my vote.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

redneck nazgul posted:

Jefferson has my vote.

lmbo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the only good musical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbSQc6btIQc

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

actually the doomstar requiem is p awesome and gently caress adult swim for never greenlighting a last season and not letting frisky dingo run its proper course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSgoefp8Ol0

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The best musical is Reefer Madness and it's not even close

Serf
May 5, 2011

redneck nazgul posted:

Jefferson has my vote.

making people do this rap in a musical that has poc playing slaveowners is shattering my brain all over again

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

Serf posted:

i dunno, i guess that going into it i just assumed that it would be super dorky when it came to the rap sections; so it doesn't really bother me. some of them are legitimately not bad, though. like, i think that not only are the rap sections of "Aaron Burr, Sir" pretty decent, but like the contrast between the beginning and the end segments are pretty cool.

plus "Ten Duel Commandments" is pretty awesome just on it's own merits imo

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i want the his dark materials adaptation to be watchable and im hoping lin manuel doesn't ruin it

i never read the books and im not going to

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

anyway this is completely subjective but the best musical is Little Shop of Horrors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPkYGM0q0YI

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

do the protomen albums count as musicals because then thats the best one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJvq7z39YEw

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

is blues brothers cultural appropriation, show your work.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

cornel west has the best take on cultural appropriation i think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp2m4Et0soM

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I want to just instinctively say no to defend one of my favorite movies but really not my place to comment as a white dude.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

aside from killing the museum staff and destroying a species of plant that can apparently cure just about anything and attempting to take on every superpower in the world with one country’s industrial capability in race war.

which granted was because Disney is garbage at writing villains and it’s really hard to write a country that can basically solve all the world’s problems but leaves it to rot instead as the good guys.

I remember walking out of that movie disappointed as hell by how much they wimped out like they were writing something making an actual statement but Disney stepped in and said they couldn’t do anything that alienated viewers. basically what they did with The Boondocks after the first season.

that was actually the last MCU movie I watched aside from the gloriously cheesy third Thor and I have zero interest in any of the rest of them.

the climax involved a cia agent operating a mil drone plane in foreign airspace to ensure that a succession crisis in a resource-rich african nation was resolved w the western-sympathetic side victorious

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

probably but the soundtrack has some legit good tunes tbh

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm gonna say no because the Blues Brothers are a cover band.

edit: Jake & Elwood, I mean

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Percelus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0SWaGfkPxA

When I was a kid I saw a high school production of less Miserables and jal vean Jean was a black kid and let me tell ya, that casting choice was infinitely better then any professional production I've heard of

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

anyway this is completely subjective but the best musical is Little Shop of Horrors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPkYGM0q0YI

Little Shop of Horrors is a deeply reactionary story about how the struggles of the poor lead them to unleash a monster that consumes the world, please @ me because there's no point in a hot take if you cant argue about it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also Les Mis rules

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

captain america played as an actual ultra patriotic guy from the forties would own because half of him would be him pissing everyone off with retrogade assumptions and the other half would be him looking at everyone else in horror because we run a profit military that he would almost certainly recognize as essentially fascist

noone will ever write a version like that because captain america exists as a vehicle for liberal writers to wank about how theyre the real patriots theyd rather write weird bullshit about him being enrolled in a gay nazi boarding school than have him be racist against italians

i think they did a story once where he was portrayed as being naive for not realizing that twins gently caress each other all the time in the 21st century but thats uh not really a very good example of antiquated prejudice

no one will ever write a version like that because he'd spend the whole movie trying to justify why he called nick fury the n word

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

BUSH 2112 posted:

mildly - I’ll say it’s absolutely worth seeing live if you get the opportunity, the choreography and staging elevates the material/theatrical experience a LOT

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Little Shop of Horrors is a deeply reactionary story about how the struggles of the poor lead them to unleash a monster that consumes the world, please @ me because there's no point in a hot take if you cant argue about it

Seems kind of obvious that the actual viewpoint of Little Shop of Horrors is that capitalism's manufacturing of desire leads us all to become axe murderers, and, inevitably, the instruments of our own destruction. At least, that's the obvious viewpoint of the film in the original ending where the space plants become a popular commodity and they destroy civilization. The plant, like capital, realizes Seymour's desires but - like capital - grows beyond the point that it can be controlled by the private individual, yet still must continue feeding off the blood of the people.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I'm being facetious here but Marxist allegory maps perfectly onto Little Shop of Horrors to the point you could think it's intentional. Seymour even buys the plant, and like an investment it accumulates values over time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r_2yyY2SO0

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Cutting out the original ending of Little Shop is one of the greatest crimes against cinema ever perpetrated. They did so much great miniature work and practical effects to have the plants destroy Manhattan, and they cut it all in favor of a bullshit ending where Seymour and Audrey get to live happily ever after in the suburbs. Which completely undermines all the themes of the story and turns it into trash. What a travesty.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

anyway I've learned to accept I'm fairly basic, so my favorite musical is Chicago which imo stands out from the vast majority of musical theater in how consistently it maintains such a high level of quality in terms of both music and choreography through the entire run-time

LGD has issued a correction as of 00:15 on Oct 4, 2019

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
The American Psycho musical was way better than it had any right to be.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Assassins is a pretty good musical too.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BUSH 2112 posted:

probably but the soundtrack has some legit good tunes tbh

also it has like six legit R&B/blues stars actually showing up to perform their songs. it’s basically like 2/3 love letter, 1/3 making cops and Nazis look stupid.

e: I guess being serious it depends on where the line is drawn between cultural appreciation and cultural appropriation. and that’s a thorny topic that I’m staying way away from since I’m a white guy.

22 Eargesplitten has issued a correction as of 01:23 on Oct 4, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Freaking Crumbum posted:

also i haven't read a captain america comic since the end of the civil war run, but have they recreated his iconic punching hitler scene with him punching an alt-right pepe or are the writers aware enough of where their bread gets buttered that they won't cross that line

Funny story comics actually sell really well to people who aren't chuds just not via comic shops

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur and Unbeatable Squirrel Girl both have TP sales out of proportion to their single issue sales

Because Barnes and Noble and Scholastic book fairs don't sell singles, but they sell trades

Also Mark Russell has made a career if writing wildly leftist propaganda that nobody notices because he only works on licensed books lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
His first arc of wonder twins ended with them stopping the villain from forcing the world's leaders to fix global warming/hunger/poverty/etc under threat of swapping everyone's minds so they would wake up as poor people and lose all their power

And going oh gently caress all we did was help the people who profit off the world being poo poo