Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Zyla posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-seBVSV2mjk

its less durable than feather is, as you have to stick some creatures and they are very vulnerable but once the train gets out o the station you can do poo poo like that turn where i started with a single giant growth in hand and about 20 spells later finished clearing their entire board just because being rude including ambushing a 7 loyalty nissa, a 3/3 land an 11/11 krasis and that 4/4 that would had lead to unblocked for whatever damage is there

edit: the guy playing it in the video is super annoying so heres the list!!

4 Season of Growth (M20) 191
4 Domri's Ambush (WAR) 192
4 Thrash // Threat (RNA) 229
6 Forest (ELD) 269
4 Incubation Druid (RNA) 131
4 Rimrock Knight (ELD) 137
6 Mountain (ELD) 265
4 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
4 Edgewall Innkeeper (ELD) 151
4 Stony Strength (RNA) 143
4 Dreadhorde Arcanist (WAR) 125
4 Giant Growth (WAR) 162
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
4 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244

heckl yeah, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

When is gold draft for Eldrain?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

When is gold draft for Eldrain?

October 11th, According to the MTGArena event calendar

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I wish getting to Gold were just a little bit harder because it seems impossible to climb after that, but it's dead easy until then. No surprise some people prefer Bo1 since at least you can feel like you're making better progress even if you really aren't.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Getting to gold is an actual freebie, climbing after that requires you to be winning more than you lose (over a short period).

If you're not actually better than the other players in your rank, you'll struggle to climb, and that's by design.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I'm better than them but they mise more. I cant help it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Can someone explain to me why so many people are Once Upon A Timeing before their first upkeep?
Its mind Boggling

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Any help with this draft? There are a couple cards that are probably easy cuts.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Could certainly cut the artifact knights, and you probably don't need three Outflanks. Giant's Skewer seems unnecessary with no payoff for food.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Paul Zuvella posted:

Can someone explain to me why so many people are Once Upon A Timeing before their first upkeep?
Its mind Boggling

Why not? If you want to make sure you don't mindlessly play a land and a 1-drop and lose out on your free instant, might as well play the freebie as early as possible.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

IMJack posted:

Why not? If you want to make sure you don't mindlessly play a land and a 1-drop and lose out on your free instant, might as well play the freebie as early as possible.

It's to your benefit to have as much information as possible before you make a decision. The right time to play your free OUaT is:

- on a turn where you have no play, but there are cards in your deck that you would want to pick and play this turn
- immediately before you play your first spell

This gives you as much information as possible when you decide what card you want.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
ie, play it on turn 1 to find your goose after you see if you draw a goose.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I'm still torn on what to put together for the event this weekend. Simic with Oko/Wolf/Krasis/Goose seems really gross, but I also get the feeling it's going to be played a lot and people will have figured out a way to beat it by then (or they already have and are just holding back so as not to decrease their chances of a 12 win streak).

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I answer every post game poll with :( because I don't like being polled or having to click through the win/loss screen. This is objectively correct. Prove me wrong.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
I’ve only seen the poll once but I accidentally clicked through it. You don’t even have to answer it.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm still torn on what to put together for the event this weekend. Simic with Oko/Wolf/Krasis/Goose seems really gross, but I also get the feeling it's going to be played a lot and people will have figured out a way to beat it by then (or they already have and are just holding back so as not to decrease their chances of a 12 win streak).

FWIW old mate played Manse Dance Revolution specifically because they thought food decks would be prominent and he won fandom legends. Not sure the meta is still the same. The food package is still top tier.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
That Gruul Adventure deck is fun as hell, sure sometimes it falls apart entirely but when it goes off it's like driving a machine gun over the board

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

IMJack posted:

You want as much information as possible for both what you have and your opponent has. The correct time to cast it is literally right before you cast your first spell, unless you desperately need a goose or something

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the food package is a lot less miserable than the explore package was, change my mind

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the food package is a lot less miserable than the explore package was, change my mind

To play, or play against?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I didn't find (non-dreadhorde) explore at all miserable to play against.

I haven't found any decks especially miserable to play against yet this standard (compared to Esper or Jeskai or mono blue or whatever). Golos fields decks' strength is a little alarming and the lack of cards that interact with field is annoying but it's not really a tilting deck, its just one I end up losing to.

Giant value bant decks with Oko Teferi Nissa Krasis can be annoying tho because it can just feel like you were unavoidably 2 for 1'd by pushed cards with a massive tempo advantage all game. We'll see if they take off.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 4, 2019

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Turns out it's pretty miserable to play against a good mono-B deck in draft.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Dumb question: when I'm in the deckbuilder view where all the cards are laid out in CMC order, is there a way to add a copy of a card by clicking on it? I know that clicking on a card reduces its number, but I was wondering if there was a key to hold down or something to add a copy. Or do I have to search for it above and click on that to add a copy.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Click on the number, which turns into a +1 when mouse'd over

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Another dumb question: Evolution Sage states that it proliferates "whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control". So if I simply play a land from my hand, it does not proliferate, correct? A land has to actually enter the battlefield, as with Nissa's ability?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I would like to thank imported deck (7) for my latest win streak

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

No, barring a couple weird exceptions, anything that changes zones "to the battlefield" triggers entering the battlefield.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Shitshow posted:

Another dumb question: Evolution Sage states that it proliferates "whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control". So if I simply play a land from my hand, it does not proliferate, correct? A land has to actually enter the battlefield, as with Nissa's ability?
The battlefield is your whole screen where cards are laid out, not the place where creatures fight. (I remember thinking the same thing ages back.)

So it proliferates when you play it, and when nissa transforms it it does not trigger as it's already on the battlefield it's just not a creature.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Shitshow posted:

The battlefield is the "in play" zone.

When you play a land from your hand, it will enter the battlefield and you will be controlling it.

"enter the battlefield" happens whenever anything goes from anywhere that isn't the battlefield (like your hand or library) to the battlefield by any means whatsoever.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Dr. Stab posted:

The battlefield is the "in play" zone.

When you play a land from your hand, it will enter the battlefield and you will be controlling it.

"enter the battlefield" happens whenever anything goes from anywhere that isn't the battlefield (like your hand or library) to the battlefield by any means whatsoever.

Then something is wrong with the interaction on that card, because I played Evolution Sage first on my turn, then dropped a Forest right after, and it did not proliferate.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Shitshow posted:

Then something is wrong with the interaction on that card, because I played Evolution Sage first on my turn, then dropped a Forest right after, and it did not proliferate.

What did you have in play with counters on it?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Proliferate only affects things that already have counters. (beaten)

Its a pretty wacky mechanic.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

No Wave posted:

Proliferate only affects things that already have counters. (beaten)

Its a pretty wacky mechanic.

Ooooh. I thought that proliferating the first time would place a +1/+1 counter on the card, even if it did not already have one.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Shitshow posted:

It might not prompt if you have nothing with counters

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Shitshow posted:

Ooooh. I thought that proliferating the first time would place a +1/+1 counter on the card, even if it did not already have one.
yeah that would be the more intuitive mechanic, but it would be mega strong!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Shitshow posted:

Evolution Sage + Pollenbright Druids + Nissa + Growth Chamber Guardian is basically the starter pack for a proliferate deck. Incubation Druid is good ramp for that, since it can also adapt. It's nowhere near as strong without explore, since that mechanic is gone with the Ixalan block (I think), but anything else that's counter heavy (Hydroid Krasis, Voracious Hydra) would also work well. Also keep in mind that proliferate affects everything with counters, including planeswalkers. Other good additions would be things like Pelt Collector that get counters from other actions.

I wouldn't suggest it as a competitive deck for this weekend, but it's still a fun mechanic that allows you to ramp up some truly huge creatures.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Imagine thinking that your opponent going up 3 health at a time while putting out infinite free cards from Bolas Citadel just when you were one turn away from winning is somehow less miserable than food boy elfwalker

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Doltos posted:

Imagine thinking that your opponent going up 3 health at a time while putting out infinite free creatures from Gilded Goose/Oko just when you were one turn away from winning is somehow less miserable than Wildgrowth Explore

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 4, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The citadel combo was a not good deck people seemed to love playing, I see that as a success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

salt shakeup posted:

Manse Dance Revolution

Whoop, I've got a new name for that deck when I build it proper.

I'm sad that the last traditional draft I did had a Dance of the Manse in pack 3. It was not my color and I already had 5 Rimrock Knights so I went for a 6th thinkin' I'd be unstoppable.

Then I went 0/2.