Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Cojawfee posted:

turn signals make fart sounds is a cool feature.

:frogon:

You're driving down an alley way. There are tons of them in Toronto for example where people have their garages.Its one way, and barely wide enough for one and a half cars let alone two cars. Guy comes out and points a gun at you. Someone needs to program them bitches to detect a gun and floor that poo poo.

Also, for something like a deer, (or person, if there is no where to swerve) perhaps the car decides to ram on the brakes, and deploy a pedestrian airbag, so that if the car does hit person/animal, the blow is cushioned as much as practically possible?

Food for discussion or derision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

TotalLossBrain posted:

is there an option for the trolley to run over the one person, then back up and proceed on the path that has ten people tied to the tracks?

Michael on The Good Place had a great answer: what the trolley needed was an extendable scythe to cut down the folks on the other track as it was running over one set.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Darchangel posted:

Michael on The Good Place had a great answer: what the trolley needed was an extendable scythe to cut down the folks on the other track as it was running over one set.

Now this is the kind of killer AI I can get behind.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Now this is the kind of killer AI I can get behind.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

This is krakkles' post in comic form.

Krakkles posted:

See? We can't solve this, I don't even know why you're talking about it, xzzy. :rolleyes:

Self-driving cars would reduce the incidence of this through two mechanisms: Seeing the pedestrian earlier, and having a more predictable reaction to them. People run out in front of cars, in part, because they think the driver will stop. If they know that self-driving cars will not ever stop for them (or that they will, I'm not implying one or the other is correct), they will modify their behavior.

But man, day one will be interesting.

wesleywillis posted:

:frogon:

You're driving down an alley way. There are tons of them in Toronto for example where people have their garages.Its one way, and barely wide enough for one and a half cars let alone two cars. Guy comes out and points a gun at you. Someone needs to program them bitches to detect a gun and floor that poo poo.

Also, for something like a deer, (or person, if there is no where to swerve) perhaps the car decides to ram on the brakes, and deploy a pedestrian airbag, so that if the car does hit person/animal, the blow is cushioned as much as practically possible?

Food for discussion or derision.
krakkles sez: floor that poo poo every time. People will learn not to walk in alleys.

Darchangel posted:

That's krakkles' answer too.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

loving lost it at the Nietzschean tractor-trailer

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Everyone knows that once the trolley problem is introduced, conversation must come to a halt.

Halt and Catch Firetruck

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Instead of individual self driving cars we should have larger vehicles that can seat dozens of people.

They could even have predetermined stations along the routes that would allow passengers to get on and off.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Previa_fun posted:

Instead of individual self driving cars we should have larger vehicles that can seat dozens of people.

They could even have predetermined stations along the routes that would allow passengers to get on and off.

Almost every single tech bro innovation can be traced back to "things my mother no longer does for me"

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Previa_fun posted:

People keep talking about a fleet of non-owned, subscription based EV driverless cars that can come pick you up and take you home while simultaneously sneering at public transit. A bum is going to poo poo in a driverless car within hours of it becoming available, at least a bus driver can kick them off

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
you could load a driverless car up with drugs and send it wherever, if it gets pulled over who gives a poo poo.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

you could load a driverless car up with drugs and send it wherever, if it gets pulled over who gives a poo poo.

Bender will be pissed that one of his mules got impounded.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

Not after mandatory retina screenings, criminal scum

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Not after mandatory retina screenings, criminal scum

Shiiiiiiieeeet, keep one of these boys on me at all times

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Me? I just do eyes.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

Shiiiiiiieeeet, keep one of these boys on me at all times

We’ll see how that works out for you :twisted:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

wesleywillis posted:

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

A bum is going to poo poo in a driverless car within hours of it becoming available, at least a bus driver can kick them off

My experience with bus drivers in SF is that they don't give a (figurative) poo poo.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

People keep talking about a fleet of non-owned, subscription based EV driverless cars that can come pick you up and take you home while simultaneously sneering at public transit. A bum is going to poo poo in a driverless car within hours of it becoming available, at least a bus driver can kick them off

After every passenger leaves, a hyperspectral camera takes a photo of the back seat and if anything unusual shows up the car steers to the nearest cleaning service and bills the customer.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Saukkis posted:

After every passenger leaves, a hyperspectral camera takes a photo of the back seat and if anything unusual shows up the car steers to the nearest cleaning service and bills the customer.

Oh I wasn’t aware a bum would be a paying customer, my apologies

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Phanatic posted:

Airplanes work the same way.

Like the 737 MAX? :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I don't understand what anyone in this GIF thought was going to happen?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

It actually idled and ran fine, no misfire. Customer reported hesitation and juddering under load.

No apparent piston or cylinder damage.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Darchangel posted:

I don't understand what anyone in this GIF thought was going to happen?

I'm pretty sure it happened exactly the way everyone involved expected it to. Internet fame is a hell of a drug.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I realize that many of you grew up in the social media age, and a cornfield is something you saw once on a field trip in elementary school, but that video has nothing to do with social media stardom and everything to do with young men (and women, honestly) that live out in the boonies do all sorts of poo poo like that for fun and maybe to impress girls.

That's exactly the sort of stuff that half my high school friends would do even before Jackass made it more visible nationwide.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Mooseykins posted:

It actually idled and ran fine, no misfire. Customer reported hesitation and juddering under load.

No apparent piston or cylinder damage.

What type of motor?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Colostomy Bag posted:

What type of motor?

what I can find

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

With some luck the isolator and electrode chips traveled through the exhaust valves and now live in the catalytic converter.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Well that explains why it was handling weird

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

New Spintires DLC looks fun!

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Oh I wasn’t aware a bum would be a paying customer, my apologies
A subscription based service implies there will be different service tiers, clean, paid luxury SUVs and Honda toilets for everyone else.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I kind of expect self-driving taxis to have doors that only unlock if you NFC-swipe a phone with the app open and logged into an account in good standing, too.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Terms of service violation detected in passenger compartment. Rerouting to nearest detention facility.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I will be very surprised if any company rolling out the autonomous taxi service isnt going to have the hardest plastic seats paired up up sub- Greyhound levels of customer service.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Canadian tire :argh:

Lost to a god drat tree of all things.

My loving wrench ganked that thing though. let that be a lesson, the wrench is mightier than the hammer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like how the sticker looks brand new and the head looks 30 years old.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Cojawfee posted:

I like how the sticker looks brand new and the head looks 30 years old.

What, you don't have rampant metal-eating nanite-swarm problems down south? It's not just polar bears and northern lights up here!

Sometime I'll take some pictures of the uh... perfectly nornal devices around the shop.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Pile Of Garbage posted:

New Truck Dismount DLC looks fun!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ExplodingSims posted:

I will be very surprised if any company rolling out the autonomous taxi service isnt going to have the hardest plastic seats paired up up sub- Greyhound levels of customer service.
I demand legislation to enforce the fitment of slightly sarcastic taxi driver mannequins voiced by Robert Picardo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Please state the location of your drunken debauchery.