Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

STAC Goat posted:

The problem with werewolves is too often people go with the "out of control, other person" thing where the human is a victim to the wolf. You gotta go with the "the wolf is my darker side and I'm being seduced by it" thing. That's got way more room for storytelling and fun.

But it also means you either need to make your protagonist the villain and have a strong hero in the wings, or build a strong enough protagonist for them to be a hero against. I think the formula just trips creators up in who is what role.

Similar but better would be to just make the werewolf a metaphor for being gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Timeless Appeal posted:

Find me a picture of a werewolf that's cooler than Count Orlok

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lurdiak posted:

I think the former is way scarier. Knowing that you can turn into an out of control monster and have no power to stop it is frightening, becoming more of a dick less so.

It definitely can be but its also kind of limited in what you can do, and again becomes more complicated in who the "good guy" and "bad guy" is and how you resolve things. I don't know if I'm expressing myself right. Its not that I necessarily think one way is better over the other, its just that like... the vampire is usually the bad guy and there's some good guys n place. But the werewolf is often the bad guy and the good guy. Which can make for a great story. I mean, its Jekyll and Hyde. But you need to actually have a plan and some skill to make it work.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's arguable, but this is the werewolf from Brotherhood of the Wolf.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Timeless Appeal posted:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Ghostwatch is no longer on Shudder, what the hellllll

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My hierarchy of the classic monsters goes

- Draculas
- Frankensteins
- Invisible Men
- Wolfmen
- Mummies

In that order

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Holy gently caress this one is avatar material

Like what the hell, is his jacket transforming? I have questions

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
This is the ideal werewolf body. You might not like it but this is what peak loupgarou looks like

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Timeless Appeal posted:

:colbert:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gripweed posted:

The ideal werewolf is a big slightly demonic animal that you only call a wolf because that's the closet thing you can think of. Like some of the descriptions of the Beast of Gevaudan.

But nobody does that, they just make them people with wolf heads and scraggly fur

All of the "were" beasts in Bloodborne are like this:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mummies have these weird thing where in the earliest mummy fiction they were usually depicted as being fairly benevolent and often beautiful. There's like a whole subgenre in 19th century about guys shtupping pretty mummies and the curses were more often than not justified revenge against the sacrilege of grave robbers. However in the early 20th century their image changed and they became not only more actively maleficent but also uglier and nastier. The ragged dusty walking carcass of the Universal The Mummy was born.
Possibly because public opinion had changed to become much more in favour of tomb raiding.

Then with the Brendan Fraser Mummy films you kinda get the best of both worlds.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

david_a posted:

I like his hand gestures, it's like he's saying, "Look, I can explain..."

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

My hierarchy of the classic monsters goes

- Draculas
- Frankensteins
- Invisible Men
- Wolfmen
- Mummies

In that order

The poor Boogermen always not being represented. Shameful.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Bruteman posted:

I like his hand gestures, it's like he's saying, "Look, I can explain..."

“Ayyyy I’m wolfin’ here!”

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly, Werewolves are kind of the shittiest monsters.

Like they get paired with vampires all the time which is stupid because vampires are the best monsters.

Werewolves should be relegated to hangout with mummies.

I feel personally attacked.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

What in the high holy assplay is happening in this thread

werewolves rip, whip, and slap - simultaneously. Get your heads on straight.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

When I was a kid I read a book about werewolves in medieval Europe. One guy murdered a bunch of people and claimed he did it because he was a werewolf. When they asked him why he never transformed, he said his fur grew on the inside of his skin. So they skinned him alive to see if it happened.

Werewolves are loving great.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?

Timeless Appeal posted:

:dealwithit:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I think someone's said it in this thread before, but mummies could be really cool if they were portrayed as D&D liches, practically. Undead, corrupted sorcerers. There's some of that in the Brendan Fraser Mummy, but not to the degree that they could have pushed it.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Werewolves own. Too bad their films mostly suck.

Watched Nightmare On Elm Street for the first time tonight. It ripped.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Werewolves simply have way too much working against them.

-Wolves themselves aren’t these figures of pure evil anymore.
-There’s also much less stigma around mental illness.
-Furries.

The result is that they’ve become these postmodern monsters - deconstructed, deployed for irony, deployed as superheroes, and/or deployed as ‘multicultural’ figures representing ‘Native American spirituality’ or whatever.

However, other wer-creatures are usually dope as hell. The Fly is easily the best wer-movie ever made.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm still waiting for someone to make a werewolf prison and/or ex-con movie.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Werewolf in a Womens Prison
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0815258/

:shrug:

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

david_a posted:

I need an avatar, taking this for myself.

I’m in consensus in re The Fly. I remember Moon of the Wolf being a fun made for TV movie, it’s the only film I can think of that uses Loup Garou instead of Werewolf.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?

You make a compelling argument. But...

quote:

However, other wer-creatures are usually dope as hell. The Fly is easily the best wer-movie ever made.

I'll see your "The Fly" and raise you "District 9." I know it's kind of cheating, aliens aren't the same as wer-creatures so you got me there, but the concept is essentially the same. "The Fly" is a straight-up classic, but in my mind so is "District 9," and both body transformations are equally tragic.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
After watching ep 2 of Creepshow, I'm sold. Double the budget, bring on some more writing/directing talent, and you've got a true successor to Tales From the Crypt.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

I made a twitter to randomly post gifs of horror title cards that I think are neat:
https://twitter.com/CardsTitle

Oh that’s you! Great account so far

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I was in a museum with my friend once and while looking at a mummy he turned to me and said "yeah, I could kick this guy's rear end"

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tart Kitty posted:

What in the high holy assplay is happening in this thread

werewolves rip, whip, and slap - simultaneously. Get your heads on straight.

You forgot the most important part: werewolves definitely gently caress

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Another problem with werewolves is that they often model werewolf politics off discredited ideas about wolf behavior. If you write about a werewolf pack and say it's led by an "alpha" werewolf, you're just making yourself look like a fool.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

moths posted:

It's arguable, but this is the werewolf from Brotherhood of the Wolf.

If I remember correctly that is a normal lion or tiger in armor.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Megasabin posted:

If I remember correctly that is a normal lion or tiger in armor.

It was! Events around the real-life Beast of Gévaudan gave rise to some werewolf lore, like the idea of silver bullets. It seems like this interpretation should at least be an affiliate in the Kool Werewolf Krew.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gripweed posted:

The ideal werewolf is a big slightly demonic animal that you only call a wolf because that's the closet thing you can think of. Like some of the descriptions of the Beast of Gevaudan.

But nobody does that, they just make them people with wolf heads and scraggly fur

sigher posted:

All of the "were" beasts in Bloodborne are like this:

david_a posted:

One of the many reasons this works so well in Bloodborne, many of the designs have tons of ripped and tattered clothing that's part of the beasts' silhouette and form. And all of the beasts stem from Lovecraftian old one stuff getting mixed up with human biology, so they have these takes on Universal Monsters that are less directly like those things and more like just generally gnarly folks that fit into those archetypal "types" of monsters. Instead of interpreting "Lovecraftian" horrors as either fish-men or incomprehensible flesh beasts like everything else does they really went next level with keeping everything just recognizable enough but unique at the same time with how they "dress" the monsters or/and have a natural armor or "outfit" happening that's part of their skin (like Kos at the end of the DLC is a great example of that). It's one of those things where the more you play the game you the more you notice that stuff and ti's really cool. They do a great job evoking a "what the gently caress" instead of a "huh, a werewolf" when one pops out.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Origami Dali posted:

Double the budget

I don't know that I'd want a bigger budget for Creepshow. "Bob" the creature was so loving cute when it ran around with its awful matte job and mismatched color temperatures. It looked very deliberate, like something you'd actually see back in the 80's when the original Creepshow movie came out. The horrible werewolf costumes were great, and instead of actually showing a transformation they just had hand drawn comic animations. I love the practical effects and I wouldn't change a thing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i would like Creepshow to have more of a budget but i definitely super respect their decision to go full on with practical effects regardless of whether they have the budget to make them look good.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i would like Creepshow to have more of a budget but i definitely super respect their decision to go full on with practical effects regardless of whether they have the budget to make them look good.

I'll take bad practical effects over bad cgi any day

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
We are the brad dourif appreciation society
God save killer dolls, wormtongue and exorcist 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want it to have a higher budget FOR better practical effects.

I did appreciate how you had the three major types of werewolves in that episode, too- And we were JUST talking about them too.

You have the Anthropomorphic Werewolf, the BIG WOLF, and the Wolf Man