Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

DCs decision to print compendium volumes 1-3 of Scalped but not 4 & 5 has led me to not only drop everything that isn’t finished and fully published, but also to start to break down and sell a 1000+ volume collection that I’ve built up over twenty years. loving DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Did I miss something, or did those boobs at DC solicit yet another new print run of Giffen and DeMatteis' Justice League International starting from #1 that they won't finish? Meanwhile, the first Omnibus (which seemed so nice) will probably never get companion volumes to wrap up the run in that format.

I don't trust DC at all to collect anything correctly. So glad I got my original issues bound instead, almost a decade ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sanford posted:

DCs decision to print compendium volumes 1-3 of Scalped but not 4 & 5 has led me to not only drop everything that isn’t finished and fully published, but also to start to break down and sell a 1000+ volume collection that I’ve built up over twenty years. loving DC.

Vol.3 sold like dogshit. It's the same thing that happened with the Starman SCs. The sales on early volumes were so bad they couldn't justify continuing. I mean, it sucks but you're throwing a tantrum and selling your entire collection because of it? Seriously?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Sanford posted:

This is going to be the Joker's backstory in Joker 2.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

JordanKai posted:

This is going to be the Joker's backstory in Joker 2.

Some people like their TPB spines to match, but I prefer multiple choice!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

NO gently caress YOU I’M SELLING THEM ALL

Seriously I’ve been thinking about it for a while. First thing I sold was Preacher, an absolute classic everyone should have in their collection. I bought all 9 books as book 9 came out, 20 years ago. It’s at least ten years since I read it. £50 and a foot of space weighed against the tiny chance I one day want to read it again? Okay then.

Scalped was definitely the trigger though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nobody should own Preacher in 2019.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

A lady living in Brighton disagrees with you to the tune of fifty pounds, but even without having read it for years I am pretty certain it has aged very badly.

Edit: five volumes of Batman No Man’s Land just sold for £35. At this rate I will clear a full shelf by Christmas and might make up to a hundred pounds!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Rhyno posted:

Nobody should pay for Preacher in 2019.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If I could just take my stuff somewhere and walk away with money, I'd have a much smaller collection. I've never really sold anything on eBay/Craigslist, but the thought of dealing with that stresses me out. :smith:

I might just find a charity to take some of these books from me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Local shops usually do store credit. We have bi monthly small shows and I have a friend selling my poo poo on consignment.

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos
I unloaded just about all of my Absolutes and Omnibi over the summer on eBay, as I didn’t want to haul them in another move. USPS medium flat rate boxes made it rather stress-free. It was incredibly liberating and profitable in spite of the hefty eBay fees. I also donated 10,000 floppies to Goodwill. I won’t lie— Marie Kondo played a big role in helping me let go.

pastis fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 4, 2019

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I recently sold my nine Preacher TPBs to an old college friend for $60, and I was thrilled to be rid of them.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

pastis posted:

I unloaded just about all of my Absolutes and Omnibi over the summer on eBay, as I didn’t want to haul them in another move. USPS medium flat rate boxes made it rather stress-free. It was incredibly liberating and profitable in spite of the hefty eBay fees. I also donated 10,000 floppies to Goodwill. I won’t lie— Marie Kondo played a big role in helping me let go.

I feel that, I basically spawned the Graphic Novel section in our library by donating 3-5 boxes worth of trades.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Rhyno posted:

What? The absolutes are great.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sanford posted:

A lady living in Brighton disagrees with you to the tune of fifty pounds, but even without having read it for years I am pretty certain it has aged very badly.

Ennis' treatment of homosexuality has indeed aged very badly, but he's on point on everything else. In one issue for example two characters discuss how an author treated female puberty as a horror story and how hosed up that is.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I’ve just finished Invincible - £100 for all three volumes and I reckon I can flip it for 4/5ths of that in about five minutes. I definitely prefer this to waiting months for a book that might never come out. Anyone suggest any other hefty, standalone, completed series I might try? I have Walking Dead and a lot of classic Vertigo stuff already.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’ll go a bit left field and suggest Lone Wolf and Cub. It’s manga, but it’s clear to see how it influenced the long form creator owned vertigo stuff.

For a more modern Image series - Chew wrapped up in the last year or two and is pretty good.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Sanford posted:

Anyone suggest any other hefty, standalone, completed series I might try?

Jordan7hm posted:

For a more modern Image series - Chew wrapped up in the last year or two and is pretty good.

I also recommend Chew. 60 issues, 12 TPBs, 6 larger hardcovers (Omnivore Editions), or 3 even larger hardcovers (Smorgasbord Editions, which are going to be cost-prohibitive).

I love Chew so much that it inspired me to start a semi-successful food blog named after one of the characters' super powers: http://www.saboscrivner.com .

Another great series is DC's Starman. It's a superhero series that ran from 1994 to 2001, but it always felt more like a Vertigo book. It was collected in six wonderful Omnibus editions, but one or two of them are out of print and pretty pricey. It is my all-time favorite series, though.

I'm a big fan of the Daredevil runs by Brian Michael Bendis, Ed Brubaker, Mark Waid, and Charles Soule, which are all complete and collected in a variety of formats. They all follow each other (aside from a short Andy Diggle run between Brubaker and Waid), but they all read as self-contained epics.

I'm currently binge-reading Jaime Hernandez's Love and Rockets run, which I am enjoying, but I don't know if it's going to be for everyone. It's also collected in kind of a complicated format, but here's a very helpful guide: http://www.fantagraphics.com/howtoreadloveandrockets

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hitman. The best thing Ennis has ever written. Mostly free of his usual bad habits.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Batman omnibus by Snyder doesn’t seem to be out yet? I thought I was released today on IST.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Per Diamond, two more weeks:

https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/APR190526

It was originally solicited for tomorrow, so you're not crazy.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I broke my vow never to purchase something directly from Amazon again because they had the X-O Manowar Classics omnibus onsale for 40% MSRP. It arrived with both the dustjacket and the spine dented. :mad: It was shipped in a box with only a single piece of scrunched up sheet of packing paper laid on top of it, nothing to fill out the width of the box itself. The warehouse employees at Amazon really just do not get the time to pack these things properly.

So now I have a personal reason to never use Amazon on top of a moral reason. Their S&H is terrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JordanKai posted:

I broke my vow never to purchase something directly from Amazon again because they had the X-O Manowar Classics omnibus onsale for 40% MSRP. It arrived with both the dustjacket and the spine dented. :mad: It was shipped in a box with only a single piece of scrunched up sheet of packing paper laid on top of it, nothing to fill out the width of the box itself. The warehouse employees at Amazon really just do not get the time to pack these things properly.

So now I have a personal reason to never use Amazon on top of a moral reason. Their S&H is terrible.

I've now switched to marketplace sellers who are within range of the amazon price. I'll shoot off an email to confirm they put some care into their shipping before buying. Two purchases in and no damage yet.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I have given half a dozen books to charity shops after they arrange scuffed/dented from Amazon, I demand a replacement, and then refuse to ship the other one back to them instead insisting that they come and get it if they want it. Every single time they end up saying just keep it, and I give it away. You just have to say no I'm not printing labels, no I'm not going to the post office, you can fetch it any time you like. Rarely takes more than a couple of minutes.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

JordanKai posted:

On the flip side, they have been the best in terms of customer service and returns of any bookstore I've dealt with.

I pre ordered the new Bill Sienkieiwcz Vol 1 HC back in july and it was $30~ on a 50 msrp. When it offically came out 2 days ago, the price jumped back closer to 50. My copy showed up with the back cover glued on upside down (wha?) and they reordered the book for me internally so I wouldn't need to deal with the price difference, shipped me a new copy that hopefully doesn't have the print error, and didn't ask for the old copy back whatsoever so I don't need to bother heading to UPS.

I tried hitting the publisher up first to see if they'd swap it or if it was a batch of them or something, and got 0 response which is not great considering it's a smaller indie press and it's a HC retailing for 50 bucks.

Also, it's a rad book that covers a good chunk of his early stuff like moon knight, love and war/assassin, stray toasters and new mutants...love that dudes work. Worth getting if you are as well. There's also a love & war/elektra assassin gallery edition dropping in March that I'm going to snap up asap.

When I was picking that up, amazon kept hawking me DC's newest cash grab with watchmen, doomsday clock part 1...
I gave before watchmen a chance and thought that was total trash, this thing just makes me visibly frown at its existence like a bad fart. It was the kick in the rear end for me to buy a copy of Absolute Watchmen finally to replace a long stolen paperback tpb so there's a plus. It's been hitting lows lately because of the HBO show trending...Really on the fence about that existing too...90% of me wants to ignore it and not check it out down the line because gently caress lost/lindelof and gently caress dc's treatment of alan moores work...but it's getting really good reviews and that 10% of morbid curiousity might win out.

Does anyone know if moore sees any profit from any of the watchmen trade edition sales at least?

Also, wtf is going on at DC with some of these releases and the revolving dates. I'm waiting on Absolute Daytripper and it's now on its third solicit for april 2020..the first being from Oct 2018..absolute swamp thing (alan moore run) is the same deal...

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 7, 2019

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I've bought many hardcovers and omnis through Amazon over the years and not once have I gotten anything dinged or damaged in any way. Just lucky I guess?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Happy Hippo posted:

I've bought many hardcovers and omnis through Amazon over the years and not once have I gotten anything dinged or damaged in any way. Just lucky I guess?

Press your luck and order actual glass picture frames. Test your might.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've gotten some nicks and dents, but never enough to make me really care. :effort:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The Injustice series any good? The omnibus is coming out and wondering if it's worth picking up.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Yes! In fact, being made up of the first three years and their annuals ensures you get all the gold and minimal filler.
Pretty excited for it, myself. Injustice has a reputation as "better than it has any right to be," owing largely to Tom Taylor's character work and sharing the spotlight across the DC Universe. Same goes for Injustice 2. As soon as the story gets past "dead Lois and manpain Superman" Taylor makes the elseworld oddly fun.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks. I'll be picking this up along with the Absolute Art Of Adam Hughes

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Couple of questions for you fine folks -

1. Are there any (available) TPBs of Neal Adams' Batman comics that aren't digitally re-coloured?

2. I saw the new Caped Crusader/Dark Knight Detective TPBs of the post-Crisis Batman comics... really cool stuff... but has much of the 80's pre-Crisis stuff been reprinted? Are those comics even worth reading?

3. Is anyone else racked with anxiety that DC/Marvel's parent corporations will suddenly decide that reprinting comics isn't worth the trouble and will just stop? The writing is on the wall for Blu-ray... I'm just waiting for the hammer to fall...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Hatter106 posted:

3. Is anyone else racked with anxiety that DC/Marvel's parent corporations will suddenly decide that reprinting comics isn't worth the trouble and will just stop? The writing is on the wall for Blu-ray... I'm just waiting for the hammer to fall...

Seeing as there is tons of stuff that was never reprinted or canceled part way through (:argh: JLI), yeah, they probably will.

Don't worry, you'll still be able to find a copy of Watchmen.

I'm sure a boutique press will still exist. And book sales have been on the up, but I'd guess more and more limited print runs of minor things. If you want that limited edition hardcover of a book at sold 15,000 copies, pre-order it.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

instocktrades.com is selling the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Box Set for $200 as opposed to the $500 retail cost. Amazon is selling it for $327 right now, for comparison. I just got mine in today :cool:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
So since I'm dipping back into comics a little, did anyone else get the big ol' Deluxe Lars Jansson Moomin book this week? Actually kinda worried how I'll get it on the shelf next to Tove's volume.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I know you're all probably sick of :siren: Jordan's Paperstock Watch :siren: by now, but I'm going to keep it up anyway. I just got the Baltimore omnibus vol.1 in the mail, and it looks like Dark Horse is moving to a thinner paperstock for their Mike Mignola standard-sized hardcovers just like they started doing for the library edition. It's a little disappointing, and it's starting to become the norm across publishers. I wonder if Absolute editions are next in line for this treatment.

I guess it's a little better for the environment, at least. :yaycloud:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just opened up my Superman Rebirth v2 HC and they didn't print the goddamned Action Comics issues of Superman Reborn! What the poo poo!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

JordanKai posted:

I know you're all probably sick of :siren: Jordan's Paperstock Watch :siren: by now, but I'm going to keep it up anyway. I just got the Baltimore omnibus vol.1 in the mail, and it looks like Dark Horse is moving to a thinner paperstock for their Mike Mignola standard-sized hardcovers just like they started doing for the library edition. It's a little disappointing, and it's starting to become the norm across publishers. I wonder if Absolute editions are next in line for this treatment.

I guess it's a little better for the environment, at least. :yaycloud:

My DH copy of Moonshadow is twice as thick as the Vertigo one I replaced, so the paper stock is better than what DC used in the 90's. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Uthor posted:

My DH copy of Moonshadow is twice as thick as the Vertigo one I replaced, so the paper stock is better than what DC used in the 90's. :D

I have that one too, and it definitely still uses the old paperstock. I think the Baltimore omnibus is the first one to move to the thinner type (or maybe Witchfinder, I don't remember which one came first and I also haven't bought it yet).