Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like this is a joke you make about street fighter. Mortal Kombat has always been a thing where it alternates between making up whatever silly thing they want on the fly then making that silly thing have deep and important lore in the next game. It's one of the most charming things about mortal kombat. I feel like plenty of people play the modern games just for the story even. For the extremely good mix of "this is stupid as hell but we made our bed and have to lay in it so we are playing this joke character 1000000% straight but also we know how dumb this is and know what to ratchet up"

MK's story is like a couple 9 year olds bashing together their action figures in the sandbox and it's so loving stupid and I love it.

"Yeah and now the ninjas after gonna become robots and fight a movie star and there will be hot chicks fighting too!!"

I appreciate the earnestness of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MK9 and Star Trek coming out around the same time and doing the sequel-reboot-prequel-remake thing was a hell of a time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Mortal Kombat's also been surprisingly sensitive to minority issues - MKX had the series' first openly gay character, a Chinese man no less, and when he worried that his ancestors would reject him for being gay, Raiden himself assured him that people only care about what's in his heart, not who his heart desires.

And also had Cassie nut-punching people so hard their testicles visibly exploded.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Rat posted:

MK's story is like a couple 9 year olds bashing together their action figures in the sandbox and it's so loving stupid and I love it.

"Yeah and now the ninjas after gonna become robots and fight a movie star and there will be hot chicks fighting too!!"

I appreciate the earnestness of it.

It feels uniquely good at being super serious about it's own lore but also not caring a single bit about it's own lore. Like they have an elaborate backstory for everything but will throw it all out at the drop of a hat, but then one game later will have a totally perfect explanation how all the nonsense actually fit together all along.

Like they are dedicated to throwing the stupidest gimmick characters and modes and easter eggs into games for fun with zero thought about how it fits into the narrative, then working that stuff into the plot so it ends up central elements of the narrative and they treat it super serious and never will admit how dumb it is while simultaneously clowning on how dumb things are in just the right mix.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hope they include this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNkRvcUn6VM

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That scene is legit art.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

this is exactly why mortal kombat is so good, like they knew this wasn't good and I'm sure on the budget they had they knew it wouldn't ever be good and instead of trying to make it better they knew to make it worse by like having people do their death screams instead of any sort of normal human scream. Which just elevates it from just regular bad, to a special kind of amazing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I want Mokap to be in this but people will think he's ripping off Mysterio.

Fake Edit: "One of the names that shows up texting Cassie Cage in her "Social Media" intro. Also, in her "Big Gulp" intro, her drink comes from "Mokap's Mokha"."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

alright what's everyone's B-tier characters they want to show up in the sequel?

I am hoping for Cyrax, Human Smoke, Kabal, and Baraka

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Holy poo poo where was this cutscene all my life?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Kenshi would be my pick.

Or maybe Jade. Depends on how stupid they make the female characters' outfits, and Kitana is conspicuous by her absence on that casting list in the OP.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

I said come in! posted:

Holy poo poo where was this cutscene all my life?

if you like that please go watch every tekken ending asap

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

wdarkk posted:

I want Mokap to be in this but people will think he's ripping off Mysterio.

Fake Edit: "One of the names that shows up texting Cassie Cage in her "Social Media" intro. Also, in her "Big Gulp" intro, her drink comes from "Mokap's Mokha"."

I may end up being the world's first Mokap cosplayer at NYCC in a few weeks.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cythereal posted:

Kenshi would be my pick.

Or maybe Jade. Depends on how stupid they make the female characters' outfits, and Kitana is conspicuous by her absence on that casting list in the OP.

It'd be odd to have Mileena and not Kitana. Unless the actress is playing both, which would make sense.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Cythereal posted:

Kenshi would be my pick.

Keanu Reeves as Kenshi would be a great way to bring Cassie's line to him in X full circle.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ronda Rousey Sonja was so bad I can’t imagine she wasn’t the original choice for the movie that got hard audibled.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

weekly font posted:

Ronda Rousey Sonja was so bad I can’t imagine she wasn’t the original choice for the movie that got hard audibled.

I'm pretty sure everyone realized the ship had sailed on Rousey as an actress after Furious 7.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I hope Stryker shows up and gets murdered almost immediately.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I know there's Bo Rai Cho and his whole thing is that he's drunk all the time.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I know there's Bo Rai Cho and his whole thing is that he's drunk all the time.

Borracho? That's actually kinda funny.

weekly font posted:

Ahem I believe you're forgetting about a little thing called The Entourage Movie.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Alexander Hamilton posted:

They might need some jokers to kill off in the tournament, to show fatalities.

Shang Tsung: here are your opponents... Hsu Hao, Dairou and Jarek!

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
hoping to see this guy

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

peer posted:

hoping to see this guy

Nice try, Vice President Pence, you can't fool us!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

peer posted:

hoping to see this guy

"Hangman" Adam Page?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If you want a movie where a bunch of loser MK characters show up just to get offed, you're looking for Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Timby posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone realized the ship had sailed on Rousey as an actress after Furious 7.

All she had to do was just be the tough fighter henchmen boss in an action movie, and she somehow botched that.

Also, never watch the Entourage movie where she had actual lines and scenes.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
In acting terms Ronda Rousey makes Gina Carano look like Meryl Streep.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 23, 2019

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
rousey is also a terf and a sandy hook conspiracy theorist. she can go to hell

Barudak
May 7, 2007

peer posted:

rousey is also a terf and a sandy hook conspiracy theorist. she can go to hell

Yeah, how poo poo she is at acting is a distant second to this poo poo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I hope a black swan shows up.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alexander Hamilton posted:

acab

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They should lean into Quan Chi's representation as a lonely goth nerd nobody likes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

MK9 and Star Trek coming out around the same time and doing the sequel-reboot-prequel-remake thing was a hell of a time.

Riker would make for a great mortal kombat character.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Toasty guy.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

quote:

The Centaur. Whoever the hell that was.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CityMidnightJunky posted:

The Centaur. Whoever the hell that was.

Motaro.

I'm also hoping for Spawn, Leatherface and Jason Voorhees

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
They still need to do ONE game that has Jason/Terminator/Leatherface/Freddy/Alien/Predator and a bunch of other movie monsters in it. Like just make this game but from NRS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tmx7aa-HTI

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Good news: We're getting Mortal Kombat sooner!

Bad news: it's coming out in January 2021, which really doesn't feel like they've got a whole lot of faith in its money making potential.

Weird news: i guess there's another Mortal Kombat movie coming? But it's animated and has Joel McHale as Johnny Cage (and not Ronda Rousey as Sonya, which might be the even bigger win)

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1218260795051540480

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Trailer for the animated movie is out. Movie is direct-to-video/digital starting in April, which means i'll probably have to get my rear end to a Redbox to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RgIPtEwy8k

Movie looks fine. It looks like yet another retelling of the MK1 story (as if the first live-action movie, the first animated movie, the reboot and the original game itself weren't enough) but I think the art style is an interesting cross between the WB/DC house style and more asian/anime influences, plus I don't think they're gonna be skimping on the violence this time. Also Joel McHale is still a very good choice for Johnny Cage and not hearing Ronda Rousey's godawful acting coming out of Sonya's mouth is a nice change.

I'd be willing to bet just about every cent I have that the live-action movie will have a trailer if not before this comes out, then definitely as a bonus feature on the disc, especially since April will be 9 months before release and generally bigger movies have a trailer out by then.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DC Murderverse posted:

Movie looks fine. It looks like yet another retelling of the MK1 story (as if the first live-action movie, the first animated movie, the reboot and the original game itself weren't enough) but I think the art style is an interesting cross between the WB/DC house style and more asian/anime influences, plus I don't think they're gonna be skimping on the violence this time. Also Joel McHale is still a very good choice for Johnny Cage and not hearing Ronda Rousey's godawful acting coming out of Sonya's mouth is a nice change.

It feels hard to imagine what a movie not just retelling the basic first story (there is a tournament, people fight to save their dimension) would even look like. The mortal kombat lore lives and dies on the fact it can slide in and out of how serious and how tongue in cheek anything that happens is. I can not imagine a movie that had to build in any of the weird nonsense plotlines that the games pull off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It feels hard to imagine what a movie not just retelling the basic first story (there is a tournament, people fight to save their dimension) would even look like. The mortal kombat lore lives and dies on the fact it can slide in and out of how serious and how tongue in cheek anything that happens is. I can not imagine a movie that had to build in any of the weird nonsense plotlines that the games pull off.

there's a difference between the broader tournament plot, which i agree with you is pretty necessary for any introductory thing for MK and "here are the same 8 characters doing the same thing over and over again". Johnny Cage vs. Goro, Evil Sub-Zero (to be replaced by Good Sub-Zero in the sequel), Raiden goes and grabs Johnny, Liu and Sonya and the three of them are the main characters, etc. This one at least has an increased emphasis on Scorpion to differentiate it.