Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Meh I found it a bit plodding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
Omega Massif's Karpatia

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Oh I like them, I’ve heard other stuff but not that. Thanks.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQhHXKRzn38

Any of y'all checked out this new Appleseed Cast album? It's really good, which makes me extra pissed because they just played here a few nights ago but I didn't find out about the show until last night :argh:

But yeah, this seriously might be one of my favorite albums of the year so far.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Yeah I really dig the first couple spins I've given it. Has a more electronic feel that their previous work

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
First track from We Lost The Sea's upcoming album is out.

https://welostthesea.bandcamp.com/

It's wonderful.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Yeah, new We Lost The Sea is really good and I don't want to wait til October :(

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Rageaholic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQhHXKRzn38

Any of y'all checked out this new Appleseed Cast album? It's really good, which makes me extra pissed because they just played here a few nights ago but I didn't find out about the show until last night :argh:

But yeah, this seriously might be one of my favorite albums of the year so far.

its loving good

link to the whole album btw

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Even more new Russian Circles! :rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t33-O1gMgw

The drums in this kick rear end.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
New Russian Circles rips but man, it ended way sooner than I was expecting. Felt like I was just settled in when it was over.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
edit nvm

chunkles fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 23, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Somehow I missed that the new Russian Circles album already came out 2 weeks ago and I'm listening now. It's great, but you probably already knew that if you listened to the singles that came out before the album did (which I think was like half the album since there are only 7 tracks on it).

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Talking of Russian Circles, anyone survive Friday at Arctangent?

It's expanded to be a lot more than 'that post rock festival' now but the post rock this year was still crazy good. Really strong sets by 65 DOS and Caspian in particular I thought, and the surprise ASOIWYFA debut album set was obviously great just because of the mutual love between the band and the Arctangent crowd. DJ Perro were infectiously joyous as well, the Mexican ASOIWYFA in many ways.

Battles still hold up as a two piece; Meshuggah not really my thing (light show was good though).

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
i haven't seen godspeed since march '18, so i'm assuming these are new songs currently being debuted on their ongoing us/kanada tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbDxmasW8LE

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WaryWarren posted:

i haven't seen godspeed since march '18, so i'm assuming these are new songs currently being debuted on their ongoing us/kanada tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbDxmasW8LE

Their set last night was like 40% new material

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Alcest!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn7wvu8R4Wk

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Usually I'm super late to the party compared to this thread because I mostly follow music streaming recommendations, but has no one really posted about The Ascent of Everest's latest album!?

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Saw This Will Destroy You Live for the first time recently. Are post rock crowds just generally dead? I was having fun as gently caress but it seemed like everyone hated being there with their arms folded.

Mogwai coming up next Monday, so we'll see how that goes

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

dk2m posted:

Saw This Will Destroy You Live for the first time recently. Are post rock crowds just generally dead? I was having fun as gently caress but it seemed like everyone hated being there with their arms folded.

Yeah, they aren't usually the liveliest. I saw Godspeed a couple weeks ago and barely anyone was even nodding their heads.

I have a blast at shows like that too though, so you're not the only one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New 65dos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l73eDjbpPzA

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

dk2m posted:

I saw this will destroy you play for like 4 people total at sxsw 2008. I think I was the only person who knew of them and I asked them to play ‘the world is our __’ cause it’s one of my favorite songs ever and the guy just laughed at me and said ‘nah, we’re not gonna do that one.’

Thanks, this will destroy you.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

dk2m posted:

Are post rock crowds just generally dead?

Yes.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
New We Lost the Sea album out:

https://open.spotify.com/album/5Vbi...wJO-0c6xymQ0k2I

The last 2 tracks in particular are great

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

oxsnard posted:

I mean, I've been waiting for this for ages but... drat that's good.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

oxsnard posted:

I think it's good to great in parts but not as good as Departure Songs.

It's an unfair comparison to make though, as Departure Songs is close to perfect, and it's definitely its own thing.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Agreed, it's very solid but definitely not as good as Departure Songs

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I'm really loving Triumph & Disaster. It's very different from Departure, which is great. It's more immediate. It sticks with you quicker. It has more twists and turns, ups and downs. Departure was largely an emotional path toward a cathartic end, which is fine, but we already got that. Triump has some amazing riffs. The pacing of the entire album is great, too. Dust is a great palette cleanser, and Mother's Hymn is an astounding way to end the album as a whole. Definitely one of my favorite post rock releases of the last year.

I could definitely see it overtaking Departure quickly.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Listened to it a few more times and I think my problem with some of the songs is that they're uncohesive. Like they had some riffs they needed to stitch together and they put a few of them together in a song with some transitions in the middle.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
According to the band, one of the amps blew out during recording The Last Sun, and they kept it in. That wasn't added in post. Pretty cool effect

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

New Caspian album soon (Jan 24th).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN5iFskr0iM

Very positive-sounding, a stark contrast to their previous. Although this is just one track, I've not heard the others. Having aurally-mainlined Jakob the past couple years I'm not sure I'm into the uplifting post-rock anymore but I digress. Caspian is also doing a US tour next spring, which has several dates near me, so I might try to see them this time!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ofecks posted:

New Caspian album soon (Jan 24th).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN5iFskr0iM

Very positive-sounding, a stark contrast to their previous. Although this is just one track, I've not heard the others. Having aurally-mainlined Jakob the past couple years I'm not sure I'm into the uplifting post-rock anymore but I digress. Caspian is also doing a US tour next spring, which has several dates near me, so I might try to see them this time!
That single ruuuuuules. I can't wait for the album! :swoon:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Welp, I bought a ticket and reserved a parking space for the Durham, NC show. The Richmond show is closer to me but I'm driving down to attend the concert with someone very special who I haven't seen in a long time.

Also the venue's restaurant has POUTINE, I've always wanted to try it. :yum:

e: anyone else seen Caspian live? Will I need earplugs?

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 15, 2019

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Ofecks posted:

Also the venue's restaurant has POUTINE, I've always wanted to try it. :yum:

I looked it up, those cheese curds do not look up to par. :quebec:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Ofecks posted:

I haven't seen them live but I think this answer is a definite yes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ofecks posted:

I've seen them multiple times and I'd say they aren't any louder than a lot of other shows I've been to. They're awesome live, and loud, but I haven't worn earplugs to see them and my hearing wasn't dead afterwards. Though if you're playing it extra safe, then yeah.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I never wear earplugs, even during band practice in a tiny garage with everything turned up to 11

Rip my ears (just kidding, they're actually still great, somehow!)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Man, I finally saw The Appleseed Cast live for the first time after listening to them for like 13 years. It was cool. I wanted more, though. They only played like 20 minutes because they were opening for Cursive (who were also cool). Though they did play stuff from their new album, which is one of my favorites of the year, so that was awesome.

Also the main guy from Cursive said he's known Appleseed Cast for about 20 years and their new album is his favorite of theirs.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 20, 2019

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

dk2m posted:

I saw this will destroy you in Chicago a few weeks ago and the crowd sucked. me, my girlfriend and two guys next to us who were legends were the only ones into it. one guy told us to stop talking during every song (we were only exchanging a few words between songs). a hell of a set though

Rageaholic posted:

Man, I finally saw The Appleseed Cast live for the first time after listening to them for like 13 years. It was cool. I wanted more, though. They only played like 20 minutes because they were opening for Cursive (who were also cool). Though they did play stuff from their new album, which is one of my favorites of the year, so that was awesome.

Also the main guy from Cursive said he's known Appleseed Cast for about 20 years and their new album is his favorite of theirs.

I was going to see the Appleseed cast in Montreal in September but something came up and we couldn't go :negative: now desperately chasing a copy of the fleeting light of impermanence on smokey teal vinyl

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Rageaholic posted:

Time to add another onto the pile to listen to before the end of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Quantum Shart posted:

Time to add another onto the pile to listen to before the end of the year
It's soooooooooooo good :circlefap: