Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 16 days!)

Some Guy TT posted:

i was really bummed how in the world war ii story the one guy in the platoon giving him poo poo did it because he hates flying people and not because he was racist

like they didnt need to use the n word but there were plenty of good euphemisms and nobody questioned his backstory of being a marine even though black people couldnt join back then

yeah that's like the Teen Titans episode on racism where some alien dude keeps calling Starfire some word and she confides in Cyborg that the word means "worthless". She asks him if he knows what it's like to be judged on your appearance he (a black dude) goes "of course I do....I'm a robot"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Is her husband named Boris Badanof?

No I don't even know her name

Her husband is the guy from Brubakers run that shared a body with the red skull for a while

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Freaking Crumbum posted:

jesus god in heaven that's a poo poo-ton of internal monologuing going on here. there's got to be a more effective way for the writer to convey what he wants cap to say without piling up text boxes all over unrelated action scenes. give me three uninterrupted action shots and then "i really like beer" on the fourth any day of the week

Coates is incredibly bad at comics, not just his politics but the actual craft

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Hold on, Papi. Don't you mean three girl bosses?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
the period appropriate cap is joe biden. just his brain in cap's body, throwing corn pop in the dumpster

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I wish I knew what cap run that was from so I could declare a blood feud on the author

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I wish I knew what cap run that was from so I could declare a blood feud on the author

still the TNC run, i think issue 11

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNFf7nMIGnE

listen to the way theyre laughing at him they think the whole thing is a joke im convinced hamilton is one of those andrew lloyd weber situations where nobody had the heart to tell lin manuel miranda that his idea was incredibly stupid

oh that sounds good her video about beauty and the beast was great but i never tried watching anything else she did because youtube kept trying to push me on to her video about how brilliant guardians of the galaxy 2 was and i was just uh lets quit while were ahead here

that one is actually good, but if you're still scared it might change your mind about guardians 2 there are a bunch of others that are well worth a watch - since we're on the subject of musical theater, her dissection of Rent (which tangentially touches on Hamilton) is well worth a watch

but yes, Lindsay is a really good critic (and twitter follow), who definitely is happy wallowing in trash

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

love too hold my coffee cup by the handle with only my first two fingers, the way completely normal humans do

did they interrupt him at a starbucks drinking from a comically small espresso shooter or what

also based on the size of his hand relative to the size of his face, there's some implied foreshortening going on and he's holding his arm out almost fully extended. you know, the completely normal way you drink coffee

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bro Dad posted:

still the TNC run, i think issue 11

Unironically surprised because it's cap in his director of shield outfit in that other page

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

speaking of bad comic book panels, this one is no bueno
https://twitter.com/SeanRMoorhead/status/1162494430533816326

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

comics are way more embarrassing than manga and it’s not even close

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

there have always been examples of hamfisted nonsense in comic books, lest you think it's confined to this era

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Reminder that marvels editor-in-chief revealed on his first day on the job that he pretended to be a japanese man for two years

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i cant believe that hiring a political essayist w no prior comics writing experience to write black panther an captain america would lead to hamfisted, over-scripted navel gazing........... ... .......

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

TNC is a case study for why black pessimism is mostly motivated by resentment that black men will never be full partners in the white bourgeois project. So they're stuck in a sort of nightmarish superposition where they've internalized liberalism's premises while resenting its actually existing politics.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

That book is actually really good tho

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Squizzle posted:

i cant believe that hiring a political essayist w no prior comics writing experience to write black panther an captain america would lead to hamfisted, over-scripted navel gazing........... ... .......

"we could have hired an experienced black comic book writer, but nah" - Marvel

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Like that scene isn't great but immortal hulk is the best book marvel has right now by a mile

The next issue is about how hulk survives to the end of the universe and becomes the next Galactus

Also the whole book is about how hulk is basically the Antichrist for a hell dimension that touches the world vis gamma rays and there's this whole Kabbalah thing going on and it's just great

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

body horror Hulk has been the best take on Hulk yet

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

TNC is a case study for why black pessimism is mostly motivated by resentment that black men will never be full partners in the white bourgeois project. So they're stuck in a sort of nightmarish superposition where they've internalized liberalism's premises while resenting its actually existing politics.

Yeah I've generally heard that TNC is really good politically but this comic is casting doubt.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

body horror Hulk has been the best take on Hulk yet

I'm really glad it's doing well, too, Ewing is a guy Ive been introduced to once or twice by a mutual friend and he's a good dude and a fantastic writer

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i dont know much about tnc but i imagine working at the atlantic is constantly poisoning his brain and his politics will get worse the longer he stays there

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Equeen posted:

"we could have hired an experienced black comic book writer, but nah" - Marvel

i mean everyone has to start somewhere and almost every writer who comes to comics from a purely textual medium has to get comfortable w letting the art carry msg and not covering it w words

im just saying, the exact weaknesses of this writer on these comics at this pt in his career were completely foreseeäble

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Squizzle posted:

i mean everyone has to start somewhere and almost every writer who comes to comics from a purely textual medium has to get comfortable w letting the art carry msg and not covering it w words

im just saying, the exact weaknesses of this writer on these comics at this pt in his career were completely foreseeäble

Here's the thing: he's been on black panther for four years

He's had time

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bro Dad posted:

Reminder that marvels editor-in-chief revealed on his first day on the job that he pretended to be a japanese man for two years

To expand he was literally a diversity hire as Akira Yoshida and asked a Japanese friend to help him fake it

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Freaking Crumbum posted:

love too hold my coffee cup by the handle with only my first two fingers, the way completely normal humans do

did they interrupt him at a starbucks drinking from a comically small espresso shooter or what

also based on the size of his hand relative to the size of his face, there's some implied foreshortening going on and he's holding his arm out almost fully extended. you know, the completely normal way you drink coffee

I have to hold some coffee cups with two fingers, and I’m not a musclebound giant :shrug:. espresso cups would be one finger except you kind of have to pinch them. if the handle is full-length then I can fit three on without squishing my hand, but that cup is drawn to have a partial handle.

just seems like a weird aspect to bring up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/KamenRiderUno/status/1180221070328156164?s=19

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
you know you can just not read the trash papers dickeye

nobody's even paying you to

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://twitter.com/jinpayn/status/1179994885895536640

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

you know you can just not read the trash papers dickeye

nobody's even paying you to

I read 500 issues of 2000ad last year, do you think those were all good

I have to know something to tell you why it's bad properly, and I can't know a comic without reading it. Not really anyway. It's why I don't delve too deep into talking about ie walking dead or spawn or whatever, I haven't read enough to talk about them knowledgably

Also this comic is astoundingly bad and I have to see how much worse it gets

I clipped out cap going "how can I fight my own government" despite a history of doing just that and Natasha Badski reminding everyone that Russia controls the president

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's amazing how much of a self-fulfilling prophecy Joker has become because a bunch of checkmark libs threw the same bitch fit about the trailer six months ago. ironically, they've made viewing it less safe

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

i would be posting bits from tnc's black panther run but its too boring to make fun of

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bro Dad posted:

i would be posting bits from tnc's black panther run but its too boring to make fun of

Mostly his cap run is just really bad but every issue has like one or two pages where he flies his lib flag high

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Serf
May 5, 2011

i went and saw joker, which is a movie about how cutting social programs leads to crime which leads to the rich and the cops getting their poo poo pushed in

lmao no wonder they tried to tie incels to this movie, it must scare the poo poo out of libs

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Serf posted:

i went and saw joker, which is a movie about how cutting social programs leads to crime which leads to the rich and the cops getting their poo poo pushed in

lmao no wonder they tried to tie incels to this movie, it must scare the poo poo out of libs

Not safe for liberals like when Bane locked up all the cops and held the bankers hostage?

Serf
May 5, 2011

etalian posted:

Not safe for liberals like when Bane locked up all the cops and held the bankers hostage?

yeah except that movie depicted those things as bad. joker has marginalized citizens putting on clown masks and beating up the cops and killing the rich and it never really tries to make that look bad

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Serf posted:

yeah except that movie depicted those things as bad. joker has marginalized citizens putting on clown masks and beating up the cops and killing the rich and it never really tries to make that look bad

jokers trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
joker is apparently crushing box office numbers so expect this manufactured outrage a lot more often.