Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm imagining that scene from Neon Genesis Evangelion where Shinji is in the hospital over someones bed but with Armin and the Annie crystal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tenzarin posted:

I'm imagining that scene from Neon Genesis Evangelion where Shinji is in the hospital over someones bed but with Armin and the Annie crystal.

Armin is, indeed, so hosed up.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I want Gabi to live long enough to realize literally every single choice she made in her entire life was the wrong one. She doesn't have to die after that, I just absolutely want her to live long enough to realize how hilariously stupid every single move she's ever made has been.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
If Eren just cracked open all the Titans' crystal cocoons, Annie should be up.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Beefstew posted:

If Eren just cracked open all the Titans' crystal cocoons, Annie should be up.

The Wall Titans weren't crystallized, though, we saw that in their reveal. The wall was built around them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kerning Chameleon posted:

The Wall Titans weren't crystallized, though, we saw that in their reveal. The wall was built around them.

I thought the idea was that they made the wall by crystallizing themselves.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I hope the tunnel leading to her chamber collapses and that's the end of it: she's just entombed underground forever.

She could be used as the reader pov in an epilogue,occurring years later when she wakes up and don't know what the hell happened.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

The walls are made of Titan crystal, Hanji confirmed this.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Beefstew posted:

The walls are made of Titan crystal, Hanji confirmed this.

In that case, how hosed up and ironic would it be if she was forced out of her crystal, only for it and the tremors from the rumbling to cave her chamber down around her?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It just wasn't explain why the Annie crystal looks different from the walls but Eren also made more walls with the attack titan.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 5, 2019

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

In that case, how hosed up and ironic would it be if she was forced out of her crystal, only for it and the tremors from the rumbling to cave her chamber down around her?

It would be hosed up, but kind of a missed opportunity since we have literally every titan shifter alive in the same place.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Tenzarin posted:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Honestly the most mind blowing thing to me is that 2,000 years ago is an accurate depiction of what 2,000 years ago looked like compared to current tech.
It's a small thing, but I loved this too.

I also loved the difference between how we saw events in this chapter and this image:

Everyone's wearing medieval outfits in the quoted image. Clearly this was art produced in their medieval equivalent, and like our medieval art, depicted Roman-era events in contemporary style.

No one has said "Gosh, I guess Ymir is Christ" because it's too obvious, right?

And the thing is, from the name of the first chapter, it was clear that that comparison was always the plan.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

So if Marley did win and they defeated the Eldians in their paradise city, do you think the generals would be like, ok guys start eating all these dead people lets get their power!

I think it's implied that in the story that yes, Marleyans and anyone that could've defeated them would've likely done awful things like mate with the empowered Eldians and taken the powers for themselves. Hell, they did almost exactly that in modern times, I think the only reason they didn't literally integrate the power with Marleyan blood wholesale was the long history behind the hatred and violence between their peoples.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

U-DO Burger posted:

i am very much looking forward to annie's reaction when she finally wakes up and realizes how much she missed

Who would she even side with at this point?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

RatHat posted:

Armin. Annie doesn't want mass-scale destruction, but she also doesn't give a poo poo about Marley, since she said in the flashback that she never believed their propaganda. Armin can persuade her since he clearly has a double-spirit crush on her.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
What's most interesting for me from this chapter is that it seems Ymir didn't obtain some mystical power over the ancient Eldian people, but that contemporary Eldians might all be literally direct descendants of Ymir, with diluted traces of her ability passed down her bloodline.

In which case, the Royal Fritz family must've been quite incestuous in order to keep Ymir's blood thicker, as it granted them greater control over the Power of the Titans.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Conspiratiorist posted:

In which case, the Royal Fritz family must've been quite incestuous in order to keep Ymir's blood thicker, as it granted them greater control over the Power of the Titans.

Accurate to real history, but without the magic powers part.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Hang on if every Eldian is part of Ymir's bloodline so the king is just a sub bloodline of hers? I take it kings after maybe the first 10 were all part of Ymir's bloodline so they could recieve the power of a titan.

I'm also guessing there was a time when there were no titan shifters because they had to wait until Ymir's children had children to inherit one of the titans.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Tenzarin posted:

Hang on if every Eldian is part of Ymir's bloodline so the king is just a sub bloodline of hers? I take it kings after maybe the first 10 were all part of Ymir's bloodline so they could recieve the power of a titan.

I'm also guessing there was a time when there were no titan shifters because they had to wait until Ymir's children had children to inherit one of the titans.

It seems that during Ymir's life there weren't any Shifters (nor Pure Titans) besides her. She was the first Shifter and her daughters, or would it be better to say King Fritz's daughters, were the next three Shifters, and presumably the power split further into the Nine Titans from the descendants of those girls.

You could even imagine the way Pure Titans came about from that: attempting to divide the power further, while the Nine still lived, and at that point the bloodline might've been close enough that like Zeke the Shifters could control the Pure Titans created from their spinal fluid, making them very effective weapons.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It’s kinda weird that the whole flashback between Ymir gaining her powers and dying was only 13 years. Is the 13 year restriction her doing then? As a subtle form of revenge? Or is 13 years just the longest the human body can bear the power?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 5, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I doubt the restriction being her doing specifically - she's just doing her best, helping everyone, after all.

What's weird with the flashback being 13 years, though?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
A lot of really excellent imagery in this chapter. Ymir walking into that tree is yonic like whoa.

Tenzarin posted:

Also the first Helos and how at the time, the titan, used as an excuse to die. Much like the Eldian empire and the Tybur family using the story of Helos to have the empire die off.

Compare this with how the Hammer Titan's power is depicted.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

RatHat posted:

I think at this point there is Eren, and there is an entire planet of folks irrelevant to what happens next.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mulva posted:

I think at this point there is Eren, and there is an entire planet of folks irrelevant to what happens next.

If I were her, I'd probably side with whoever wasn't going to be responsible for wiping her childhood home off the face of the map. Seems to be the only thing she ever truly cared about.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

My bet is on Eren and the Wall Titans being like Dany and the Unsullied on Game of Thrones. She sets this slave race completely free but they don't have anything to do so they're like "ah gently caress it we'll just work for you since you set us free." Same thing with Eren and the Wall Titans. He set them free but they're like "Oh, you won't command us to rumble in the jungle? Then what do you want?" and something cooler than worldwide genocide happens.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DaveKap posted:

My bet is on Eren and the Wall Titans being like Dany and the Unsullied on Game of Thrones. She sets this slave race completely free but they don't have anything to do so they're like "ah gently caress it we'll just work for you since you set us free." Same thing with Eren and the Wall Titans. He set them free but they're like "Oh, you won't command us to rumble in the jungle? Then what do you want?" and something cooler than worldwide genocide happens.

They play a sick game of beach volleyball

EDIT: The ball is Annie's crystal

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
I note that the Attack Titan wasn't in the flashback group shot. What's up with that?

Also, yeah, Eren's not ending the world in the sense of flattening, but rather ending the curse of Eldia that started two thousand years ago and has kept Ymir (and everyone else by one means or another) imprisoned ever since.

Also also, lol at Zeke being an rear end in a top hat ordering Ymir to do his bidding, like everyone else back to Fritz. He can't see any world other than the one he and Xaver dreamed up. But why genocide a whole people when you can just...shatter the cycle, remove Titan power forever, and set Ymir free?

The coolest part of the chapter for me was that Eren didn't command or threaten. He asked her what she wanted, maybe for the first time in her whole life.

And agh the look when she sees the three paths away from the (her) coordinate that her daughters created :(

e: also, is Ymir blind even in titan form? Holy loving poo poo 2000 years ago was exactly as poo poo and brutal as one would expect. Between the skeletal face and the ribs :gonk:

reitetsu fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 5, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

morcant posted:

I note that the Attack Titan wasn't in the flashback group shot. What's up with that?

It is, the Founding Titan is the one missing.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 5, 2019

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Holy poo poo that was a dark chapter. Looks like Eren's titan form is similar to the skullface and ribcage of Ymir's. Great origin story but I'd like more details on what the 9 titans represent exactly.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wait has Ymir been physically building every titan in her pocket dimension, no matter how long that takes from her perspective? Also I guess the only reason she saved Zeke was because he would lead Eren to her.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

RatHat posted:

Wait has Ymir been physically building every titan in her pocket dimension, no matter how long that takes from her perspective? Also I guess the only reason she saved Zeke was because he would lead Eren to her.

Seems like it, yup. Every single time. :( From chapter 120:

e to not doublepost:

RatHat posted:

It is, the Founding Titan is the one missing.

Ah yeah, that's probably it. Though, the founding titan when in the hands of Yuri, Frieda, and Eren isn't so tall. Regardless, I want to know more about the Attack Titan between Ymir and Kruger!

reitetsu fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 5, 2019

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I can't believe Carole & Tuesday spoiled Attack on Titan in one of their very first songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1dGFDiDcyg

Seriously those first few verses are pretty much exactly Ymir and what just happened.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Gabi must be destined to inherit the Attack Titan. Only one of its users can be that much of a fuckup.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

morcant posted:

Hmmm, I wonder what the actual location they're in is. I see shooting stars, is it an extradimensional thing, I wonder if it'll go any more elaborate than alien spinecritter in a tree hollow is the source of all titans, somehow because it seems rather asspull-ey

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

morcant posted:

Then I guess maybe Eren's plan is to just remove Ymir from that space somehow so titans can't be created, that would remove the threat of Eldians without sterilizing them. Of course there must be more to the plan since that won't solve the rest of the world invading Paradis for its resources.

Also if he just told Zeke this plan maybe he would have went along with it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Eren/Ymir at least needs to destroy Marley, or cripple it to the point where it's totally nonviable as a military power. They literally cannot be allowed to continue with their poo poo, and there's no placating them.