Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hahaha that dumb fucker’s dirty rear end move is gonna cost him if the fight ends on that cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Hahaha that dumb fucker’s dirty rear end move is gonna cost him if the fight ends on that cut

Not watching but I saw a pic of the cut, was it from a butt or something I guess?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Not watching but I saw a pic of the cut, was it from a butt or something I guess?

Clean punch caused the cut but at the end of the last round after the bell, Wallin reached back and swiped across the cut to try to open it more.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 15, 2019

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

The cut was from a totally clean punch, but a couple rounds later he fouled him and thumbed it open more.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

the comically large amounts of vaseline they're just leaving on Fury's face

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Ah gotcha, thanks.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
That was awesome

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

12th round had some good drama

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Terrific fight.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

really good fight

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Fury is making me a grudging fan. He really rallies from adversity. Just make sure he keeps fighting strong opponents not cans.

Wallin was better than I thought he'd be, but the lovely cut rake after the bell and how badly he faded muddies that.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yea I’d leave this fight thinking pretty highly of Wallin if not for that swipe at the cut

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
nice to have the Channel 5 Fury back

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
https://twitter.com/andreward/status/1174034530455310336

NBA All-stars out here trying to get Andre Ward to comeback if Canelo wins

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
All please rate your hype for Spence-Porter.

I'm at a solid 7 right now. Porter will give a fight but I think he'll get.put down because Spence is too good. Also i feel like David Benavidez vs Anthony Dirrell is a mismatch in terms of talent and David will show it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I’m not very hyped but I just remembered that in the amateurs Shawn Porter beat Oleksander Usyk which is pretty wild

Jump King fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 24, 2019

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm at maybe a 6? It's a good matchup and I'm sure it'll be a fun fight to watch, but I don't have much hope for Porter winning.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I would agree that I don't see what path Porter has to win but it's kind of weird to see Spence as high as a -1100 favorite though I guess that says more about how we view Errol rather than any weaknesses-and the poor style match up-for Shawn. I like the card as a whole though. Benavidez-Dirrell would be a quality Fox main event and 140 prospect Mario Barrios is in a step up against an undefeated Russian and Josesito Lopez-John Molina Jr. is a fun appetizer in the vein of TGI's Fridays mozzarella sticks before your fine steakhouse dinner. Kind of disappointing that it's ppv when it was floated (really just Mike Coppinger being willing to tweet out whatever he gets fed) as regular fox but still a quality card.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 24, 2019

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I just got my tickets to Spence-Porter. I agree that it’s tough to see a path to victory for porter but I’ve always liked him and I think he’s going to make it tough on Errol, and that he is the best opponent errol has fought (not really considering Mikey given the size difference). I’m also the guy who will die on the hill that porter would have won the brook fight if the ref had kept brook from holding the entire fight, so keep that in mind.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

mike- posted:

porter but I’ve always liked him and I think he’s going to make it tough on Errol, and that he is the best opponent errol has fought

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

No shame to Brook but I think he was damaged goods after the Golovkin fight, I never felt like Spence got Brook at his best.

Also looking up the odds, Spence was a -450 against Mikey Garcia but he's -850 against Shawn Porter. I would have thought Porter would be seen as a "tougher" fight but I guess the oddsmakers feel the same way we do and don't really see a way for Porter to win.

Anyway I actually have a fight thread fully written this time apart from the undercard section.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

No shame to Brook but I think he was damaged goods after the Golovkin fight, I never felt like Spence got Brook at his best.

Also looking up the odds, Spence was a -450 against Mikey Garcia but he's -850 against Shawn Porter. I would have thought Porter would be seen as a "tougher" fight but I guess the oddsmakers feel the same way we do and don't really see a way for Porter to win.

Anyway I actually have a fight thread fully written this time apart from the undercard section.

Looking at it style wise I can see it. From a math perspective it seems more likely Mikey would have been able to win a technical decision than Porter can get a decision over Spence with his mauling style.

Edit: and if Kenny Porter directs Shawn to box Spence then he is doing his son a horrible disservice

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 27, 2019

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Mikey is a salesman. He convinced his fans he "saw something" in Spence, who all bet on him, then fought like a journeyman.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Thread up for Spence vs Porter:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899895

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I scored Spence-Porter 114-113 for Spence, but that’s about the worst I’ve seen Spence look. He fought Porter’s fight the whole fight, his jab was pawing and tentative, and he looked a shade slow.

Made me change my mind about favouring him against Crawford.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Crawford has not fought anyone remotely as good as Porter, or even a one eyed Kell Brook for that matter.

This fight should be a lesson on the "eye test".

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Porter’s whole thing is being a rough fight and making guys fight his fight anyway, so I’m not too worried that Spence had to fight Porter’s fight and then subsequently beat him in it by out powering him

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
yeah i don't think 'fighting a dangerous opponent in his comfort zone and winning anyway' is the devastating own its purported to be.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Another addition to the crazy poo poo that happend at a boxing weigh-in file with a CC to the accidental Renaissance photo subreddit

https://twitter.com/boxing/status/1180219252311130112?s=19

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol does every Flint fighter surround themselves with total garbage people?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They're all drinking the water

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

sportsgenius86 posted:

Lol does every Flint fighter surround themselves with total garbage people?

For context Shields was one of the few people who defended Andre Dirrell's uncle Leon after he gave Uzcategui that two piece

Also the fight is off thankfully. Welterweight prospect Jaron "Boots" Ennis and heavyweight prospect Jermaine Franklin are the co-feature and main event, respectively

https://twitter.com/ShowtimeBoxing/status/1180269142533951491

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 5, 2019

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
Golovkin in a crazy close fight

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

im glad my favourite fighter golovkin won a unanimous decision easily

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Missed most of it, but didn't like what I saw of GGG.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I had GGG winning close but yeah, surprising to see him in a fight that close. Big props to Derevyanchenko. Golovkin said in the post fight he needs more focus in training, hopefully this was just an off performance.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Golovkin is washed :(.

Derevyanchenko is a dangerous guy, but both Canelo and Andrade would beat him fairly lopsidedly. GGG would also lose to those guys. Not sure where GGG goes from here. A Derevyanchenko rematch would make the most sense, but it’s hard to see that happening.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think a GGG-Andrade seems to make the most sense. Andrade is good, but it's not clear that he's got the style to beat Golovkin to me. Winner gets Alvarez.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Andrade mops the floor with last night's Golovkin. I think GGG is better off either rematching Derevyanchenko next (a winnable fight for him), or cashing out against Canelo.

There are reports that Golovkin was sick all week, and maybe he was, but he still looked very hittable and very slow. He's 37 and has had a long pro/amateur career. He looks pretty washed to me at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

if Andrade wipes the floor with him so be it. It would be nice to see your favourite fighter win a bout without you complaining about him lmao