Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
How would I, a simpleton, make an offline tiles build of current gooncrawl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bogart posted:

How would I, a simpleton, make an offline tiles build of current gooncrawl?

in case you have linux just read the readme of the source code from floodkiller's github and copy paste the lines it says into a console and it gonna build and work

in case you have windows then use the linux emulator built into windows now and do the exact same thing there

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
What's an extended god? Non-standard choices?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Amethyst posted:

What's an extended god? Non-standard choices?

God that's good for extended? Like hell and pandemonium mostly.

Also Gozag is overpowered for basically the entire game from Orc or maybe Lair onwards.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The Sif Muna in trunk is a contender for zig god, I think. Her new ability effectively means that you have every spell in your library (and with Sif, that is effectively all spells) at your disposal with 0 percent failure rate and with a huge spellpower boost, and I find that the new channeling is a lot more reliable of a MP regeneration method than most. You can pre-set channeling then just passively regenerate about 4 MP every round for about 10 rounds, meaning you aren't spending turns petitioning potions or using a crystal ball or whatever.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i really love uskayaw and it's a struggle for me to pick any god other than uskayaw on a melee character cause uh, holy poo poo.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Dance god is really fun and I greatly enjoyed just telefragging every lord of hell and pan.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Fedhas is being reworked in trunk
https://github.com/crawl/crawl/wiki/Fedhas-Rework

Basically replacing all the permanent allies with normal summons and removing the dinky piety gain mechanics.

Sounds good. Less tedious.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im still a fan of the summon forest god concept

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

I don't know what I'm doing and things are going so much better than they normally do and I don't want to gently caress it up.

Here's a dump
https://underhound.eu/crawl/morgue/Franky/Franky.txt

And here's a list of conscious decisions I've made which are probably wrong. Please tell me whats wrong with my thinking and also what I'm not even thinking about.

1) I'm not using the +10 glaive of Prudence {pain, Fragile rF+ rC++ rN+} because I've no Necro skill and training it seems a waste as I'm bashy.
2) I maximally enchanted the large shield of reflection because it seems really good, it cost 7 scrolls.
3) I'm training Fighting, Polearms, Armour & Shields until 27 because I'm bashy.
4) I started training Evocations to get a cloak of Invisibility applicable but lost faith in the idea.
5) I'm not training stealth because I'm a big fat tank and it seems silly, but +3 aptitude?
6) I'm carrying a +1 great sword of holy wrath with a vague idea of using it in Vaults, but a suspicion that it would be a waste of xp to get it usable.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Frankly using a +10 glaive over a +1 freezing bardiche might be worth it even not accounting for resists. But it can be hard to actually compare weapon damage.

Cloak of invisibility rules, and stealth can be useful to make enemies lose track of you when retreating on any character. Training evo to turn invis will let you get stabs on enemies that can't see invis, and training stealth will make those stabs more frequent and powerful. So not only does invis make enemies do less damage because they miss you more, it's also basically a damage multiplier.

Don't bother training long blades.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 3, 2019

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

first off, you only need ... i think it's 15? shields skill to remove the penalty for large shields as a formicid, so you don't really need to train it further than that. i think mindelay for bardiches needs 26 skill so you're probably fine to keep training that, but you can look at the weapon and it should tell you how high you need to train the weapon skill to. Polearms don't crosstrain with swords so I would probably give up on that greatsword.

you have a lot of really good spells in your library that you haven't learned and could use that would help you be even more bashy: song of slaying, spectral weapon, and regen are all pretty useful to have, at the very least. i'd probably turn off leveling fighting/armor and get those castable, work on getting your bardiche to mindelay and at some point level throwing a bit more too, javelins hit pretty hard.

it also looks like youre barely using your okawaru invocations at all; feel free to slam those on whenever you're up against anything halfway threatening, they're not that piety hungry

disclaimer: i'm real dang bad at crawl

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If you were going to train a spell school IMO it would be necro for animate dead and regen, and then with the +10 glaive of pain. Even though it doesn't work on many things in extended the weapon is strong enough and what it works on will get melted. And animate dead stays strong forever.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Thanks guys! It didn't even occur to me to use spells, I though all the armour would make it unfeasible, so thats cool to know. And yeah I forget about the oka invos way too often.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Dirty Frank posted:

Thanks guys! It didn't even occur to me to use spells, I though all the armour would make it unfeasible, so thats cool to know. And yeah I forget about the oka invos way too often.

Heavy armor is an impediment, but it's generally possible to get low-level buffs working and they're a pretty huge survivability multiplier.

While it's not TOO important to a regular run, I will say that I personally shove a few points into stealth on almost every character throughout a run, because it's not just used for sneaking up on dudes and stabbing them; the more stealth you have, the less monsters will wake up and/or home in on you, and the quicker they'll lose track of you once you're out of sight, which is a godsend for avoiding untenable fights or getting a moment to breathe after a fracas. The effects are noticeable (if very, very slight) even on Qazlal worshippers wielding the Shield of the Gong. Obviously, don't sacrifice your main skills to do so, but if you've hit min-delay on your weapon and you're comfortable on everything else it's not a bad place to shunt some xp to.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
i don't care what your build is, you learn swiftness and never forget it

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
Jon Joe is right, the best defensive spell in crawl is Walk Away and Switftness helps its success rate

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

code:
 You eat one of the 5 mutagenic chunks of flesh.
 This meat tastes really weird.
_Fur sprouts all over your body.
 You eat one of the 4 mutagenic chunks of flesh.
_Your wings grow larger and stronger.
 You eat one of the 3 mutagenic chunks of flesh.
_You feel resistant to hostile enchantments.
 You eat one of the 2 mutagenic chunks of flesh.
_Your mouth lengthens and hardens into a beak!
 You eat the mutagenic chunk of flesh. This meat tastes really weird.
_You feel robust.
rip goatsestretchgoals the basher, got hubris and died

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Well, just found a ridiculous combination thanks to absurd luck: Boots of the Assassin, high Invocations Uskayaw, and speed branded randart Executioner’s Axe. Should start dipping into stealth to increase the already absurd stab bonuses.

On Trunk because I ended up going a little nuts with Demonspawn Archaeologists on gooncrawl and also because I like some of the QoL stuff on it, like darts and auto-ID of enemy equipment.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

goatsestretchgoals posted:

code:
 You eat one of the 5 mutagenic chunks of flesh.
_Fur sprouts all over your body.
 You eat one of the 4 mutagenic chunks of flesh.
_Your wings grow larger and stronger.
 You eat one of the 3 mutagenic chunks of flesh.
_You feel resistant to hostile enchantments.
 You eat one of the 2 mutagenic chunks of flesh.
_Your mouth lengthens and hardens into a beak!
 You eat the mutagenic chunk of flesh. This meat tastes really weird.
_You feel robust.
rip goatsestretchgoals the basher, got hubris and died

FR; you should be able to eat a bigger number of purple all at once (as in a prompt with how many you gonna have in one go) for a guarantee that which ever mut that gonna be, good or bad, you'll get a higher level 2 or 3 off the bat for 3 or 5 chunks at once respectively

High levels of mutations seem way too hard to encounter ever since Mutpot now purges mutations before adding new ones so the chance of ever getting level 3 of any one of the good mutations seems pretty much zilch unless you specifically go with jiyva. Meanwhile it's not like the any of the level 3 muts is even that likely to make or break the character still.

Teal fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 8, 2019

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I have heard unarmed ogre transmuters of wu jian might be very strong right now, as in, “two shotting Cerebov and Antaeus” strong, and one punching every t1 Fiend. Turns out transmutation spells like statue or dragon form coupled with wu Jian multiplicative damage coupled with insane ogre strength coupled with wu jian actives is absolutely broken.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Hedningen posted:

Well, just found a ridiculous combination thanks to absurd luck: Boots of the Assassin, high Invocations Uskayaw, and speed branded randart Executioner’s Axe. Should start dipping into stealth to increase the already absurd stab bonuses.

On Trunk because I ended up going a little nuts with Demonspawn Archaeologists on gooncrawl and also because I like some of the QoL stuff on it, like darts and auto-ID of enemy equipment.

"speed branded randart Executioner’s Axe"

Well, what were the other stats?? As if it matters though, goddamn

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

FulsomFrank posted:

"speed branded randart Executioner’s Axe"

Well, what were the other stats?? As if it matters though, goddamn
The +14 Executioner's Axe of Xom's Mirth {speed, fragile, *Rage, Int -8, RF--, RC--}

I'd probably get greedy and try to use it anyways.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
muck weapon of choice

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What does the Ac in DsAc stand for? I know Ds is Demonspawn, but I don't recognize the background acronym.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

archaeologist

it's a gooncrawl background that gives you a random manual at level 3; completing that manual unlocks a box with a fixedart in it that uses the same skill that the manual was for. it's pretty neat!

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

someone awful. posted:

archaeologist

it's a gooncrawl background that gives you a random manual at level 3; completing that manual unlocks a box with a fixedart in it that uses the same skill that the manual was for. it's pretty neat!

oh man that rules! gonna try gooncrawl now! shame its not on a good server tho

unrelated Q: yall think robe of the archmagi is worth using on a barachian skald? power is so uh...vague i guess. i never really get how much it effects non-damage spells.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Mainline Crawl? I think spellpower affects the duration of your buffs/strength of things like Song of Slaying/Shroud of Golubria. It's probably not worth it if you can cast the spells in heavier armor.

Gooncrawl? Definitely not. You don't need to worry about the duration with permabuffs. Build as tanky as you can while still able to cast your spells.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

redneck nazgul posted:

Mainline Crawl? I think spellpower affects the duration of your buffs/strength of things like Song of Slaying/Shroud of Golubria. It's probably not worth it if you can cast the spells in heavier armor.

Gooncrawl? Definitely not. You don't need to worry about the duration with permabuffs. Build as tanky as you can while still able to cast your spells.

yeah its mainline. found it on d3, probably just use it until i find some good heavier armor.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I still insist that the thread title should be "Play Gooncrawl", but FK is too modest.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Mainline is poo poo

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
bcrawl did an update recently with a Jiyva rework and and other accrued assorted changes---nice to see it still chugging on along.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Speleothing posted:

Mainline is poo poo

Was going to empty quote this but decided that I wanted to add for every good idea they come with they remove another ten.

GoonCrawl is so superior that I cannot begin to imagine playing any other version. So many fun QoL improvements on top of the rest of the additions that sure, may not be perfectly balanced but come on man, this is Crawl we're talking about here.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If you want a balanced roguelike, you play... IDK, Brogue, probably?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Alternatively: If you want balance, play IVAN.

the goal of IVAN is to be just barely able to scrape by, if you get too strong, you end up meeting veteran kamikaze dwarves who blow up the entire level to kill you

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

looks like .24 stable got released and a tournament's starting on... the 25th? that's, uh, abrupt

anyone care enough about mainline crawl to make a team? :v: (considering the newspost has been out since the 18th, i'm assuming 'no')

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I was kind of hoping they'd make a changelog so I knew what was different in trunk, having not played it in months.

Sadly, .24 has no changelog, or if it does I can't find it.

Edit: There's no tournament page linked yet either despite the tournament starting tomorrow. :effort: all around, I guess.

Prism fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 24, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Prism posted:

I was kind of hoping they'd make a changelog so I knew what was different in trunk, having not played it in months.

Sadly, .24 has no changelog, or if it does I can't find it.

Edit: There's no tournament page linked yet either despite the tournament starting tomorrow. :effort: all around, I guess.

dumbgeon crawl 0.24 changelog

-no changes to traps

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Trunk traps are better sorry.

Like trunk dcss is the only rpg I can think of that has actually thought about why no one likes traps and changed the system to make them interesting.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gotta poo
Mar 14, 2019

by VideoGames
Playing DCSS 0.23.2 and I refuse to get the new version until I've had a win with a longswords demonspawn warrior/mage hybrid.

So like, perhaps in 2033?

K, make that longswords and polearms, I found a nice spear.

gotta poo fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 25, 2019