Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wonder if Bismuth and/or Peridot could build a warp pad that can be human-operated.

Put rubber horn honkers on a bunch of warp whistles and put them on polls next to every warp pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The surprising thing for me is that Spinel is in the group shot at the start. I thought she just wouldn't appear much, if at all, but I guess this means she'll probably show up in at least a couple episodes. Hopefully that won't be confusing for people who haven't watched the movie.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
That's fine, they can just treat Spinel as someone who was introduced during the timeskip like all the Little Homeworkd gems.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

wizzardstaff posted:

That's fine, they can just treat Spinel as someone who was introduced during the timeskip like all the Little Homeworkd gems.

No, they'll do it like Dragon Ball Super and the first few episodes will just be the movie split into chunks with slight tweaks.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TwoPair posted:

No, they'll do it like Dragon Ball Super and the first few episodes will just be the movie split into chunks with slight tweaks.

I can't believe Steven Universe Future cut the part of the movie where Jasper does the Bingo Dance.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ApplesandOranges posted:

The surprising thing for me is that Spinel is in the group shot at the start. I thought she just wouldn't appear much, if at all, but I guess this means she'll probably show up in at least a couple episodes. Hopefully that won't be confusing for people who haven't watched the movie.

Why on earth would you watch Steven Universe Future without having seen the movie first

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I am a little upset to see this end. I've loved this show since it started. But I'm also glad for the crew. It's rare for something of this magnitude to end on the creator's terms, and the last thing I'd want is for this to turn into the cartoon Supernatural.

That said, this is Cartoon Network so make like Spinel and wait for 6000 years to see what happens next

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Macaluso posted:

Why on earth would you watch Steven Universe Future without having seen the movie first

I imagine some poor person a few years from now just binge watching the entire series for the first time and jumping straight from season 5 to 6.

Most series also aren't dependent on the movie tie-ins as necessary watching - good canon stuff to have, but rarely vital to the main plot.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

That poor person should do better research :colbert:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Turtlicious posted:

Bismuth is a craftsman, and also really cool so im sorry but your opinion is just wrong, and you'll be tending kindergardens for the foreseeable future.

And not cool, planet-killing, Gem-making kindergartens either. Human ones. With snotty five year olds.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

BioEnchanted posted:

A cute thing in the background of the "Driving through Beach City" scene is Lars hanging out with his parents with his arms around them as his dad takes a photo. The cool kids are sitting a little away from them as well, Lars just doesn't care anymore :3: He's come so far.

also one of the corrupted Jaspers is chilling with Sour Cream and Buck as their new third, Jenny is with her family instead.

Dying was the best thing to ever happen to Lars.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'm interested in seeing what Rebecca Sugar does next, also the rest of the crew, and Ian (Since OK KO was unjustly canceled).

Someone travel to the future and let me know what they're working on five years from now, thanks!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rhonne posted:

Dying was the best thing to ever happen to Lars.

A true millennial.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I want the Aquamarine/Ruby fusion to be voiced by the kid who voiced Catbug because it will be funny.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm interested in seeing what Rebecca Sugar does next, also the rest of the crew, and Ian (Since OK KO was unjustly canceled).

Someone travel to the future and let me know what they're working on five years from now, thanks!

The newly re-titled She-Ra and the Depressed Lesbians of Power.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Jasper shows up in an antagonistic role but is shocked when Steven beats her on his own because as he's growing up he's getting stronger as well as bigger. He's gone from basic level physical strength to Quartz-level, he'll reach Diamond-level in his 30s at which point he'll be 10 feet tall.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Good luck finding flip flops at that height. I have problems finding them sometimes and I'm only 6 foot 2

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The pebbles can probably make flip flops but they'd likely have white balls inexplicably hovering over the toes.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
We finally know who Matt Burnett and Ben Levin's successors are:
https://twitter.com/JackPendarvis/status/1180288317239234560?s=20
https://twitter.com/TanekaStotts/status/1180226537150271488?s=20
https://twitter.com/katetsang/status/1180311523110993920?s=20

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
All past tense, so it must really just be a short epilogue season and not much more.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

hatty posted:

All past tense, so it must really just be a short epilogue season and not much more.

CN will wait and see if the ratings warrant more episodes/extension, given with a lot of new [to SU] crew is involved, it sounds like if this takes off then it can free up some of the old crew to work on other things.

Regarding the White Diamond looking character on the antagonist card.. I wonder if it could be a fusion of all 4 diamonds [eyes nose forehead] Basically a giant white diamond with the authority logo for the face? Or maybe white fused with the cluster? *shrug*

Can't wait to watch.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Big K of Justice posted:

CN will wait and see if the ratings warrant more episodes/extension, given with a lot of new [to SU] crew is involved, it sounds like if this takes off then it can free up some of the old crew to work on other things.

actually most of the crew who we know are working on other things now are the new people

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
What if they're like longer form episodes? Like 20 minute episodes, or perhaps even full 30s???

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lupus Rufus posted:

What if they're like longer form episodes? Like 20 minute episodes, or perhaps even full 30s???
Well now I'll be disappointed if they're not.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Well gently caress, I’m hype for Peridot Future

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like how the logo is now all sleek and sharp and futuristic.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
"The most challenging part of designing the new show was giving the logo a neck"

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I’m out of the country right now and way behind but this news pleases me. Here we are in the future and it’s bright. :3:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm kinda sad that this sounds like it's the lot and the end of Steven.
I really thought we'd get a full normal new series rather than an epilogue.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Literally Kermit posted:

Well gently caress, I’m hype for Peridot Future

I would love a spinoff series that's just Peridot recounting the entire saga to make herself look like the hero. Peridot doing the voices of the Crystal Gems included

"It was then that the Great and Lovable Peridot wrestled Jasper until she poofed!"

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 5, 2019

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I would love a spinoff series that's just Peridot recounting the entire saga to make herself look like the hero. Peridot doing the voices of the Crystal Gems included

"It was then that the Great and Lovable Peridot wrestled Jasper until she poofed!"

Or you know, just make it one episode.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

I'm kinda sad that this sounds like it's the lot and the end of Steven.
I really thought we'd get a full normal new series rather than an epilogue.

I think it's better for it to end on its terms instead of drag things out forever and get canned unceremoniously. Besides, there's only so many times a tragic figure from Pink's past can show up to be an enemy.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Yeah, "Change Your Mind" is the end of THE story and was a really, really good ending. I actually find it weird that people still occasionally complain about the scheduling which sucked, but now that we have this 160 episode (80 episodes if you treated them like 30 minute episode) series delivered over the course of five and a half years that actually had a great ending, it really doesn't seem like a big deal.

I like that Steven Universe has all this post show stuff because after every big event in the series, the show always seemed to slow down and deal with the ramifications of what just happened with a big focus on self-care. And I think that's what makes Steven Universe so special. Superhero/magical chosen one/anime stories are often about emotional catharsis through big action scene. And I think a lot of Steven Universe is about unpacking that because in real life people with anxiety, depression, trauma can over invest in small moments being this big turning point and even when they are you're still left with the potential for backsliding and the reality that building healthy habits for yourself takes times. It's why the most amazing part of the show is that it's not really clear when Steven becomes the leader of the gems or when Pearl got over Rose or when Amethyst grew up. They just subtly and naturally happened over time. Doing the movie and the epilogue series makes sense, but it feels like icing on the cake.

I also like the epilogue stuff because it means they didn't have to force stuff like Jasper into the final arc out of a duty to tie up all the loose ends.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Look at this dumb thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8PU7_sfsCY

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The ending has horrific pacing problems and does an exceptionally poor job delivering on its theme, to the point that it retroactively affects the credibility of content created before.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Does it, though?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pick posted:

The ending has horrific pacing problems and does an exceptionally poor job delivering on its theme, to the point that it retroactively affects the credibility of content created before.

Nope

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We wanted stupid memes from years ago now and we got them

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TwoPair posted:

I think it's better for it to end on its terms instead of drag things out forever and get canned unceremoniously. Besides, there's only so many times a tragic figure from Pink's past can show up to be an enemy.

It's not like [insert Pink gently caress up in this space] is the only story that can be told. Plenty of Gems might not be best pleased at the changes to the Gempire. Somebody created the Gems. Given the Gems' attitude toward organic life, there might be a lot of survivors of planet-scale genocides with grudges against them. So there's plenty of grist for the story mill with the series were to continue.

But.

But the main story of how one Steven Quartz-Diamond Universe finds his place in the, well, universe has essentially been told and honestly, sometimes it's best to know when to end a tale.

And there's no reason that in a few years or whatever that we can't check back in with SU and friends at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I mean let's look at the 'villains' in that shot in the new intro and speculate on the stuff really going down.

Cactus Stevens- Steven deals with a problem he caused through neglect, not one his mother caused

Mystery Lil Fusion- See above- Aquamarine and Eyeball (or another of the Rubies? Eyeball makes the most sense) have personal vendettas against Steven, not Rose, and he's not used to that.

Pink White Diamond- gonna guess this is dealing with White feeling like she's lost control of everything now that the empire is disassembled, but mostly she's lost control of herself

Big Monster- probably something for a fusion to fight and a backdrop for a more personal story. Unless this is a corrupted White then see above but more intense.

Lapis Twins- honestly I'm not sure? Clearly going to be a Lapis thing, she's got complicated feelings, might be about relapsing into depression and anxiety even when everything is at its best, and how to find your footing to recover again anyway

Jasper- The war never ended and will never end, for Jasper. Jasper knows combat and violence and nothing else. Finding a place in this new world is probably difficult for her. Bitter veteran of a war based around a lie. This is probably gonna be a big thing tbh. Her getting closure is probably the show getting closure.