Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Skwirl posted:

Is that one gonna have a black Dinah Lance?

No, it still looks like it's the comic versions of the movie characters, but I guess a unique book from the Azzarello one. No one knows if it's in canon or what the deal is anymore I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I just saw the Birds of Prey trailer, is the Asian girl an already established character

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I just saw the Birds of Prey trailer, is the Asian girl an already established character

It's Cassandra Cain isn't it?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Yeah, it's Cassandra Cain who has nothing to do with Cassandra Cain.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Oracle posted:

And related to this...
God they suck at knowing their own product. How do you not understand which stories matter and which don't when your loving job is telling stories in an existing universe. Like fans have done 99% of the work for you.
I think this is hilarious since Final Crisis or New52 or whatever plowed through the continuity and Batman went on chugging for a while like nothing because gently caress if you're gonna tell Morrison his Bats story needs to stop for the reboot.

And literally the problem they had post CoIE was "oh wait which origin are we going with again" bullshit.

At this point Crisis on the Dark Multiverse needs to just say gently caress it it all happened and will all happen just roll with it.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Darth Nat posted:

Yeah, it's Cassandra Cain who has nothing to do with Cassandra Cain.

I love how two of her defining character traits, "has extreme difficulty speaking" and "refuses to take a life ever again" are immediately thrown out in the 5 seconds she's in the trailer. :v:

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It really probably should have been Sin instead of Cassandra in the movie, or an entirely new character. It's so transparent that they wanted a PoC character and just chose the highest-profile one that is tangentially related to the BoP and Batman worlds and then just threw out all of that character's defining traits.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

I think this is hilarious since Final Crisis or New52 or whatever plowed through the continuity and Batman went on chugging for a while like nothing because gently caress if you're gonna tell Morrison his Bats story needs to stop for the reboot.

And literally the problem they had post CoIE was "oh wait which origin are we going with again" bullshit.

At this point Crisis on the Dark Multiverse needs to just say gently caress it it all happened and will all happen just roll with it.

Johns had very important rainbow lantern poo poo going on that couldn't be thrown out for the reboot too.

I think just rolling with it and not feeling the need to have another big multiversal event to justify wherever they end up would be ideal, but I guess that's not really the DC way. Speaking of dumb DC poo poo, I'm surprised Superboy Prime hasn't been around in a whie now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Darth Nat posted:

No, it still looks like it's the comic versions of the movie characters, but I guess a unique book from the Azzarello one. No one knows if it's in canon or what the deal is anymore I guess.

I can only imagine it's out of canon since there's almost zero reason for all those characters to hang out. Plus I think Harley's still on the Suicide Squad so she can't really hang out without first escaping from prison, and I can't imagine any of those other characters deciding to ignore that.

I think it's great that DC is trying to do more female led books but on the other hand I haaaate modern Harley Quinn.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darth Nat posted:

It really probably should have been Sin instead of Cassandra in the movie, or an entirely new character. It's so transparent that they wanted a PoC character and just chose the highest-profile one that is tangentially related to the BoP and Batman worlds and then just threw out all of that character's defining traits.

We're probably not getting her doing any fight scenes along the level of Dafne Keen in Logan, huh?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I can only imagine it's out of canon since there's almost zero reason for all those characters to hang out. Plus I think Harley's still on the Suicide Squad so she can't really hang out without first escaping from prison, and I can't imagine any of those other characters deciding to ignore that.

I think it's great that DC is trying to do more female led books but on the other hand I haaaate modern Harley Quinn.

Eh, Harley Quinn is basically like Batman at this point and can appear in 18 titles a month without any explanation as to how she's in Gotham and space and the bottom of the ocean at the same time. That said, it's crazy that we live in a world where Harley Quinn appears in as many books as Batman.

And yes, modern Harley is insufferable. I kind of want to read this title just to see how they get those characters to team up, though. I'm not sure if Cass will be, well, Cass, but apparently she's adverse enough to killing to steal all of Huntress' arrows.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’s Palmiotti and Connor, so I’m going to at least give the first issue a look. The solicit for it referred to Cassandra as Batgirl.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s Palmiotti and Connor, so I’m going to at least give the first issue a look. The solicit for it referred to Cassandra as Batgirl.

All of the Palmiotti and Connor stuff for Harley Quinn and anything branching from it are straight up considered non-canon iirc so if this is based off of that Quinn, it can safely be assumed to be non-canon too

Idk what going on in the BoP trailer though. It looks like that Cass is just a regular girl or something which is extremely dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGM4uYZzfu0

Also it reminds me of that Woke Disney video because the whole trail screams "forced Girl Boss" message

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 5, 2019

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Darth Nat posted:

There's some weirdo on Twitter that responds to everything the official DC twitter posts with "GIVE US WHAT WE WANT, GIVE US A JASON TODD SOLO BY DEXTER SOY" or some variation thereof.

Also, in other supremely confusing news, it looks like DC is launching a second Harley Quin and the Birds of Prey title under Black Label starring the movie lineup.

I know that Jason Todd is somewhat popular among the Batman fandom on Tumblr, and I can not understand the appeal for the life of me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A shame we lost our resident JT fanboy, he could have explained it to you I'm certain.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Roth posted:

I know that Jason Todd is somewhat popular among the Batman fandom on Tumblr, and I can not understand the appeal for the life of me.

He's the edgy one.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

A shame we lost our resident JT fanboy, he could have explained it to you I'm certain.

I do know that a lot of them are cishet white women who want to bang him, futher solidifying that heterosexual people were a mistake

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought everyone wanted to bang Nightwing?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

I thought everyone wanted to bang Nightwing?

That's just a natural human reaction

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rhyno posted:

Not a shame at all, he was a piece of poo poo.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Sinteres posted:

I think just rolling with it and not feeling the need to have another big multiversal event to justify wherever they end up would be ideal, but I guess that's not really the DC way. Speaking of dumb DC poo poo, I'm surprised Superboy Prime hasn't been around in a whie now.
I'm half convinced all of this Batman/Superman stuff (or more specifically A Million Batmans/Superman poo poo) is going to lead to some sort of Batman Who Laughs/Superboy Prime event

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

All of the Palmiotti and Connor stuff for Harley Quinn and anything branching from it are straight up considered non-canon iirc so if this is based off of that Quinn, it can safely be assumed to be non-canon too

Idk what going on in the BoP trailer though. It looks like that Cass is just a regular girl or something which is extremely dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGM4uYZzfu0

Also it reminds me of that Woke Disney video because the whole trail screams "forced Girl Boss" message

It's written, directed, and produced by women.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TwoPair posted:

Same.

... except Harleen is pretty good so far.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

I'm half convinced all of this Batman/Superman stuff (or more specifically A Million Batmans/Superman poo poo) is going to lead to some sort of Batman Who Laughs/Superboy Prime event

They've announced it's leading to a JT4 written BMWL vs Legion of Doom endgame mini.

Though it seems Snyder also wants to make a Metal 2, so I wouldn't count on that actually being the last of the DARK MULTIVERSEerseerseerseerse

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I would actually like to see Superboy prime going all Zen and refuse to involve himself in anything ever again.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The dark multiverse should have just been worlds where the heroes lost at various different major stories and what resulted because of it.

Oh wait that is just the multiverse.

And superboy prime doesnt exist. Or maybe he does. Dr Manhattan hasnt decided

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Siegkrow posted:

I would actually like to see Superboy prime going all Zen and refuse to involve himself in anything ever again.

Wasn't SBP last seen in the "real" world? Maybe he read some of the comics shortly after the New 52 launch and just decided "ew, I don't wanna go back to a world like that, I'm done"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

TwoPair posted:

Wasn't SBP last seen in the "real" world? Maybe he read some of the comics shortly after the New 52 launch and just decided "ew, I don't wanna go back to a world like that, I'm done"

"Go back? The hell with that, I might get written by Lobdell"

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

Wasn't he last seen trolling on the internet? No, really.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

G Willow Wilson and Nick Robles are replacing Si Spurrier and Bilquis Evely on The Dreaming.
https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/1180625740917874689
On one hand, I'd love a comic to totally sell me on DC Wilson, but on the other, The Dreaming is my favourite book right now and I don't want it to change.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 6, 2019

Professor Dog
Jul 25, 2007
Does anyone else find the character of the Batman who Laughs to be the cringiest poo poo ever?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Professor Dog posted:

Does anyone else find the character of the Batman who Laughs to be the cringiest poo poo ever?

Yeah.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

But Batman Joker is just the scariest and most dangerous villain who is a threat to everything because he has all the superpowers of both Batman and the Joker. Just ask the people writing Batman Joker, they'll tell you.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was stupid but I figured he was just a one-off villain for Snyder's little event and I can handle stupid in small doses because I expect that from events. But now it looks like he's just gonna stick around and my eyes just can't stop rolling.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah if he was a one off it would not be too bad. But him sticking around is annoying.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

TwoPair posted:

I thought it was stupid but I figured he was just a one-off villain for Snyder's little event and I can handle stupid in small doses because I expect that from events. But now it looks like he's just gonna stick around and my eyes just can't stop rolling.

I think he's sticking around as a direct response to how cool a lot of fans found him. Which is...pretty predictable, I guess.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Everyone I know who loves DC loves the Batman who Laughs and think it's just so cool how it's Batman and Joker but fused together. And now he's like Venom in the 90s where everyone gets a turn.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I think I've liked most everything Batman Who Laughs has been in but I can't say I really care for the character. The best thing I can say about him is that he's not nearly as cringey as he could be

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Professor Dog posted:

I appreciate them really going all the way with "Batman always wins" but just they should have quit while they were ahead. It was cool in Metal because you actually got to see him destroy the Justice League and everything he used to hold dear in his universe. When you take him out of that universe though, he's not that threatening, because now he's just another comic book villain whose plans are always going to get thwarted by the good guys.

DCeased is real good, even better than Metal, but I have a feeling they're going to run that into the ground also after the miniseries is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

I appreciate them really going all the way with "Batman always wins" but just they should have quit while they were ahead. It was cool in Metal because you actually got to see him destroy the Justice League and everything he used to hold dear in his universe. When you take him out of that universe though, he's not that threatening, because now he's just another comic book villain whose plans are always going to get thwarted by the good guys.

DCeased is real good, even better than Metal, but I have a feeling they're going to run that into the ground also after the miniseries is done.

DCeased is very non-canon so it literally doesn't matter how dumb it get as long as it's sequestered in its own little universe (unlike Marvel Zombies). But yeah, Bat who Laughs should've ended around the end of Metal. The Dark Multiverse stuff is neat in some aspects, but that particular element is getting overplayed. Gimme a a corrupted Kyle White Lantern world or an Atlantean or Amazonian conquest world