Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm trying out bo1 stuff for the event this is pretty fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGciU2AygF4

Kenrith: surprisingly legit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Not gonna lie, this standard is really boring. Golos was fun when you could play Nexus for free off it. The Simic and Bant decks are samey Goose Oko value decks and everything else is a variant of midrange. Maybe something cool will pop up but every game is just grindy nonsense outside of the pure aggro decks.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Eej's midrange Hell has come to pass and we're not even in Theros yet

Just wait til they reprint courser (that's kinda like reprinting oracle, right? TEE HEE, reprint equity man is blasting off again)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Eej posted:

Not gonna lie, this standard is really boring. Golos was fun when you could play Nexus for free off it. The Simic and Bant decks are samey Goose Oko value decks and everything else is a variant of midrange. Maybe something cool will pop up but every game is just grindy nonsense outside of the pure aggro decks.

you're saying your definition of a good deck to have in standard includes Nexus

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So is dance manse revolution a real deck? Because I don't think anyone has played it in a competitive setting yet which makes me think I may have wasted wildcards. At least fires is super fun to play. It literally doesn't matter which variant, untapping with a fires of invention is one of the most fun things to do in standard.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

A Moose posted:

So is dance manse revolution a real deck? Because I don't think anyone has played it in a competitive setting yet which makes me think I may have wasted wildcards. At least fires is super fun to play. It literally doesn't matter which variant, untapping with a fires of invention is one of the most fun things to do in standard.

Bryan Gottlieb sez it's tier 1.5. It's a real deck for sure. Doom foretold with a bunch of junk artifacts on the board feels really powerful, and then when you dance manse revolution for a bunch, you win.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

flatluigi posted:

you're saying your definition of a good deck to have in standard includes Nexus

Yeah? Not sure where you're going with that. Standard was good when it had decks like Nexus, Kethis, Phoenix, Aristocrats, Bolas Citadel, Dreadhorde etc.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

A Moose posted:

I don't think it's a real deck anymore for 3 reasons:

The mirror is absolutely heinous.

Tamiyo can completely embarrass it and one of the best decks in Standard right now is Blue-Green that can easily side in 2-4 Tamiyos.

The best deck in standard right now, Golos Field, just doesn't really give a poo poo about your strategy and can run it over.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I even miss those idiots twirling their thumbs until they can dump Drakuseth into their GY

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
A solid 5-1 draft after one ill-fated mill run, the one loss to Red/White knights who played Outlaws' Merriment on turn 4 both times.

Sideboard inclusions were Tall as a Beanstalk (not great but the combination of a big creature that can block fliers won a few games, beat Rankle once with it) and Return to Nature. Cauldron and Forever Young have a bit of anti-synergy so I sometimes dropped the latter.

Good grindy fun all in all even though the lack of removal was a bit worrying, luckily Bog Naughties are pretty terrifying when you have enough food.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 4, 2019

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Spiderdrake posted:

Eej's midrange Hell has come to pass and we're not even in Theros yet

Just wait til they reprint courser (that's kinda like reprinting oracle, right? TEE HEE, reprint equity man is blasting off again)

I didn't even have fun!! It was a struggle to close out the queue. Ahh I'm just gonna jam that dumb Izzet deck until someone comes up with something spicy or Theros comes out, then I'm just gonna play reprinted Gary.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

AngryBooch posted:

I don't think it's a real deck anymore for 3 reasons:

The mirror is absolutely heinous.

Tamiyo can completely embarrass it and one of the best decks in Standard right now is Blue-Green that can easily side in 2-4 Tamiyos.

The best deck in standard right now, Golos Field, just doesn't really give a poo poo about your strategy and can run it over.

I agree with you, it's a powerful deck but it gets trounced by the two best decks in the format (whichever of the like 3 Simic shells you like and Bant Golos). It'll still beat whatever mediocre aggro decks are around, though, so you can probably get plenty of wins on Arena with it.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

zoux posted:

I'm trying out bo1 stuff for the event this is pretty fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGciU2AygF4

Kenrith: surprisingly legit?

gently caress, we’ll there go the rest of my wild cards

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Sometimes you just find the right colors. Cuts are going to be tough for this one, I got like four Secretkeepers at the end and with the Lucky Clover they'd make for a pretty strong backup win condition. Plus they're like my only blockers unless I throw in a Crashing Drawbridge.

E: And 16 lands is probably enough for this curve, haven't touched them yet. Not sure why it defaults to 8-9 in a deck with 75% blue and 21% red.

(My mind tells me Ferocity should go but my heart says "but double damage fairy army")

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 4, 2019

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I have a poo poo ton of wildcards saved up- has the meta settled at all or should I still wait?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I have a poo poo ton of wildcards saved up- has the meta settled at all or should I still wait?

Wait until after the Mythic Championships.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
I swear I just had 4-5 games where people conceded right at 1-3 turns. Must be dudes just dropping cards to finish quests.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

qbert posted:

Wait until after the Mythic Championships.

I was wondering this exact same thing. I have enough WCs to build effectively any deck I want, trying to decide if I want to spread it out across cards that should be good throughout this block or all on 1-2 decks, depending.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Kanfy posted:

Sometimes you just find the right colors. Cuts are going to be tough for this one, I got like four Secretkeepers at the end and with the Lucky Clover they'd make for a pretty strong backup win condition. Plus they're like my only blockers unless I throw in a Crashing Drawbridge.

E: And 16 lands is probably enough for this curve, haven't touched them yet. Not sure why it defaults to 8-9 in a deck with 75% blue and 21% red.

(My mind tells me Ferocity should go but my heart says "but double damage fairy army")

Your deck seems strong enough to win without the merfolks. I would leave them on the sideboard for board stall decks

So yesterday I had the most amazing win in draft ever. I was locked in a stalemate agaisnt 2 revenge of the ravens, my only hope was dropping my Syr Konrad the grim. However my opponent managed to drop one of his own first, and he milled a bunch of cards and took a away a bunch of my life, leaving me at 4 and them at 5. I draw and play my own Konrad, but being 1 life lower things looked pretty grim (heh). On their turn they start milling again, sealing my doom. However it turns out my life loss procs before theirs does. So I am at 1, they are at 2. They mill again, revealing 2 creatures, dealing 2 damage to them before I can die and winning me the game

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

E2M2 posted:

I swear I just had 4-5 games where people conceded right at 1-3 turns. Must be dudes just dropping cards to finish quests.

Me, too. A handful of them were after t3 Questing Beast so that might be skewing it.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Wow, okay, I guess I lose this draft to Turn 2 Faerie Vandal -> Turn 3 Foreboding Fruit -> Turn 4 The Royal Scions

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Welp, I walked right into an alt win condition. Guess I'm done for the night.

I got happily ever after'd by a bant greed deck. We had a huge board stall going on and then he drops happily ever after while I have fires in play, and he has a dovin's veto in hand and then he teferi's in a planewide celebration on my end step. My temur fires deck got rekt by jank. Guess I have to go back to the jeskai version

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Rough day for magic for me. Went 12-18 across multiple modes but goddamn if all my loses were the aggravating kind, where I either flooded out or my opponent just had perfect curves or nut draws or the optimal counter. Some days it’s just not your day.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mardu Smothering Tithe Aristocrats?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Spiderdrake posted:

Click on the number, which turns into a +1 when mouse'd over

This works in list view, but I was curious about the side-by-side view.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Yeah I don't think Esper Dance will stay top tier. I couldn't win a game with it last night, but then I switched to Bant Golos and couldn't lose.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

salt shakeup posted:

Yeah I don't think Esper Dance will stay top tier. I couldn't win a game with it last night, but then I switched to Bant Golos and couldn't lose.

Bant golos is such a boring loving deck. It’s boring to play against and boring to play with. It sucks it’s that good

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Any chance of a ban for Field of the Dead? I don't know much about what cards usually get banned but FoD is just so boring and there's not any great way of stopping it. Until the format speeds up with a new set and we maybe get some sort of hate card I think it's going to dominate the meta.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Just need Legion's End but for nonbasic lands with non-mana abilities.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Dracula Factory posted:

Any chance of a ban for Field of the Dead? I don't know much about what cards usually get banned but FoD is just so boring and there's not any great way of stopping it. Until the format speeds up with a new set and we maybe get some sort of hate card I think it's going to dominate the meta.

I doubt it, but they'll probably print something in the next set that actually deals with it rather than just buying time.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kanfy posted:

you're allowed to play as many copies of a card that you've drafted (except seven dwarves which caps at 7) so might as well get that 5th Secretkeeper in there, especially with Lucky Clover

but yeah def cut ferocity

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Magic Underwear posted:

I doubt it, but they'll probably print something in the next set that actually deals with it rather than just buying time.

are they usually that quick about printing tech cards?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If they're aware that something's powerful and could be oppressive, they'll sometimes put a narrow safety valve card in a couple of sets down the line. If the thing they were concerned about is actually fine, nobody plays the new card and things continue to be fine, but if it's oppressive then people can use the new card as an answer to it and hopefully get the meta back into a healthy place.

If they're totally blindsided by how strong something is, then there's not really enough to time to create and print an answer for it that quickly.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Any good ideas for this weekend in terms of decks? I'm debating just saying screw it and doing Golos Field because it seems like it has no truly terrible matchups and in a bo1 format where you can only lose once you need to minimize having matchups where you just auto-lose.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
amazing that in a standard with Oko another card winds up being the problem.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Whenever I see a Teferi avatar in Bo3 I know I am in for a miserable match.

Speaking of miserable matches, I have given up oven deck because I can not in good conscience trigger so many godamn stops.

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 5, 2019

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?
How long till war of the spark rotates? Please make a 5 mana walkers + creatures sweeper so we can forget that garbage expansion.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Kin33 posted:

How long till war of the spark rotates? Please make a 5 mana walkers + creatures sweeper so we can forget that garbage expansion.

In about a year with the next fall set. This is the currently unknown set which will follow the M21 "Oops All Teferis" Core Set.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
This 4 - 0 draft deck has been a little bit, kind of, you might say, disgusting.

You might notice some underwhelming cards, which are due to the fact I picked up the mono-black package in pack 3 and so only have one singular other black card in Specter's Shriek which I do sideboard in against black decks. But it still seemed good enough I elected not to use more colors - helped by the fact that my biggest non-black bomb is Yorvo at GGG. Double Forever Young has been surprisingly good because it only was poo poo in one game, but it singlehandedly won me a match against a dedicated mill deck. First game I could NOT draw more than 3 lands (all kept on mulligan too - first actual land draw with 5 cards left in the deck!) while they had 3 counterspells + a Midnight Clock and a couple 0/4s in their top 12 cards, so I was stuck on the board without getting a meaningful spell through for ages. A couple Forever Youngs landing meant they couldn't run me out of cards before the engine killed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

babypolis posted:

Your deck seems strong enough to win without the merfolks. I would leave them on the sideboard for board stall decks

Lone Goat posted:

might as well get that 5th Secretkeeper in there, especially with Lucky Clover

Well that certainly cleared things up :v: